Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 17, 2014
11:18:57 PM
View profile
INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL
A similar issue is described in detail on this Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/11836349#11836349 Just recently purchased the iPhone 5s and am using the Microcell. I have the OPPOSITE problem as described in the above thread in that it's the RECEIVING end of the call that is getting garbled distortion (hearing every other word) despite all bars (or dots) being solid on my end, whereas my audio is perfect. AT&T is sending a new MCell, but I have my doubts that will fix the issue. I even upgraded my ISP to over twice the bandwidth to no avail. I thought it might be a problem with my bluetooth noise canceling, but I powered it off during the problem call and the distortion continued on their end. The only way it stops it to end the call and redial. It is strange that it's only the receiving end that is getting the garbled. I would appreciate any and all feedback as to possible causes!!! I use this for business and this is unacceptable.
A similar issue is described in detail on this Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/11836349#11836349 Just recently purchased the iPhone 5s and am using the Microcell. I have the OPPOSITE problem as described in the above thread in that it's the RECEIVING end of the call that is getting garbled distortion (hearing every other word) despite all bars (or dots) being solid on my end, whereas my audio is perfect. AT&T is sending a new MCell, but I have my doubts that will fix the issue. I even upgraded my ISP to over twice the bandwidth to no avail. I thought it might be a problem with my bluetooth noise canceling, but I powered it off during the problem call and the distortion continued on their end. The only way it stops it to end the call and redial. It is strange that it's only the receiving end that is getting the garbled. I would appreciate any and all feedback as to possible causes!!! I use this for business and this is unacceptable.

INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

84 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(84)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 12:33:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, please report back as it does sound like someting is amiss with your connection/service.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Yes, please report back as it does sound like someting is amiss with your connection/service.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

61 of 85 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 12:34:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, it took me a few times to explain to the tech that it wasn't my cell service or the MCell to blame. I guess I will need to call back after 2 weeks. So, if the line monitoring comes back negative for any issues, then what?

Yeah, it took me a few times to explain to the tech that it wasn't my cell service or the MCell to blame. I guess I will need to call back after 2 weeks. So, if the line monitoring comes back negative for any issues, then what?

62 of 85 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 12:42:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Let's work on that if, and when, it happens.

Let's work on that if, and when, it happens.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

63 of 85 (698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 12:38:18 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mcs2014 on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:53:03 AM

So, I checked on the status since it's been over 2 weeks since putting in the request for a "line quality check".

ME: Back on 02-12-13, I requested a line quality check on my internet cable service to run for 2 weeks. I was told that I would be contacted if there were any line issues. I wanted to therefore confirm
that since I received no call, the line quality was intact during that 2-week period. Please advise.

COX:  Thank you for your reply.

I have checked your modem signals and it is working properly and there
are no reports for Outages in your area or caused in your service line.

We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you
requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to
you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

ME: What I stated has NOTHING to do with the modem or outtages. As I stated,
the rep I spoke to was in tech support and agreed to monitor the LINE
QUALITY that was to be monitored for TWO WEEKS. That should've been
notated on my account. The reason for this is because I use a cell
booster through my internet service to make and receive calls and my
calls are getting intermittent distortion. I needed to rule out my Cox
service as the culprit. I need to know of their findings, NOT YOUR
FINDINGS. Please advise with correct data.

COX: Thank you for your reply. I understand you experienced recent
connectivity difficulties with your system. I apologize for this
inconvenience.

I have verified my resources and there are currently no outages in your
area. However, I have noticed that your cable modem is an outdated
device in the Cox network. Cox switched to a newer and better technology
that allows all our clients to experience the best performance from
their cable modem. However, this recent upgrade affected certain cable
modem models that do not support the higher speeds.

Please be aware that we do not troubleshoot routers, but computers that
are directly connected to the cable modem. Hence, to find out if this is
a connectivity difficulty derived from the cable modem, please bypass
your router and connect your computer directly to the cable modem.
Should it perform just fine, this will be a difficulty with your router
and/or network adapters. Although we are not liable for these device's
performance, I will provide you with some orientation on how to remedy
this situation.

As you can see, they didn't even acknowledge there was a line test. The rep who did agree obviously lied to me or didn't notate my account when I asked him to. Talking to low level CSR robots got me nowhere and forget asking for a supervisor. Already tried, and all I get is, "what is the issue, I can handle it." I don't think they undertood any such thing as a line quality test, because to them, as long as I'm getting services and a good signal, they have no further support to offer!

WHAT NOW???

So, I checked on the status since it's been over 2 weeks since putting in the request for a "line quality check".

ME: Back on 02-12-13, I requested a line quality check on my internet cable service to run for 2 weeks. I was told that I would be contacted if there were any line issues. I wanted to therefore confirm
that since I received no call, the line quality was intact during that 2-week period. Please advise.

COX:  Thank you for your reply.

I have checked your modem signals and it is working properly and there
are no reports for Outages in your area or caused in your service line.

We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you
requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to
you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

ME: What I stated has NOTHING to do with the modem or outtages. As I stated,
the rep I spoke to was in tech support and agreed to monitor the LINE
QUALITY that was to be monitored for TWO WEEKS. That should've been
notated on my account. The reason for this is because I use a cell
booster through my internet service to make and receive calls and my
calls are getting intermittent distortion. I needed to rule out my Cox
service as the culprit. I need to know of their findings, NOT YOUR
FINDINGS. Please advise with correct data.

COX: Thank you for your reply. I understand you experienced recent
connectivity difficulties with your system. I apologize for this
inconvenience.

I have verified my resources and there are currently no outages in your
area. However, I have noticed that your cable modem is an outdated
device in the Cox network. Cox switched to a newer and better technology
their cable modem. However, this recent upgrade affected certain cable
modem models that do not support the higher speeds.

Please be aware that we do not troubleshoot routers, but computers that
are directly connected to the cable modem. Hence, to find out if this is
a connectivity difficulty derived from the cable modem, please bypass
your router and connect your computer directly to the cable modem.
Should it perform just fine, this will be a difficulty with your router
and/or network adapters. Although we are not liable for these device's
performance, I will provide you with some orientation on how to remedy
this situation.

As you can see, they didn't even acknowledge there was a line test. The rep who did agree obviously lied to me or didn't notate my account when I asked him to. Talking to low level CSR robots got me nowhere and forget asking for a supervisor. Already tried, and all I get is, "what is the issue, I can handle it." I don't think they undertood any such thing as a line quality test, because to them, as long as I'm getting services and a good signal, they have no further support to offer!

WHAT NOW???

[ Edited ]
64 of 85 (609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 8:21:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Wow. I'd put your ugly hat on and push to get higher up the support chain.

"Cox switched to a newer and better technology
their cable modem."

Do you know when that switch took place? Could it have been around the time you started having issues?

Wow. I'd put your ugly hat on and push to get higher up the support chain.

"Cox switched to a newer and better technology
their cable modem."

Do you know when that switch took place? Could it have been around the time you started having issues?

65 of 85 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 10:13:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have no idea when they switched and it's a waste of time to pursue further with them when they won't even allow me to speak to a supervisor.

The only true test which was already suggested is to somehow get another AT&T phone other than iPhone and test this for a few weeks. Unfortunately, it is not possible at this time.

The good news: Supposedly, a new cell tower is finally going up in my area that would eliminate the need for the MCell in the first place. Would be a miracle if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it. That would be the ultimate solution.

I have no idea when they switched and it's a waste of time to pursue further with them when they won't even allow me to speak to a supervisor.

The only true test which was already suggested is to somehow get another AT&T phone other than iPhone and test this for a few weeks. Unfortunately, it is not possible at this time.

The good news: Supposedly, a new cell tower is finally going up in my area that would eliminate the need for the MCell in the first place. Would be a miracle if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it. That would be the ultimate solution.

66 of 85 (591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 11:07:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, I'd rather have full cell coverage in my home than use the MicroCell but I can't complain too much because it has delivered as promised with no issues. My gut tells me that there is just something about cable connections that messes with the MicroCell unlike the old copper lines used for ADSL2 (which is what I have).

It would be great if you could find someone who had an AT&T mobile account and add them to your Approved User list to see if they had any call quality issues.

Yeah, I'd rather have full cell coverage in my home than use the MicroCell but I can't complain too much because it has delivered as promised with no issues. My gut tells me that there is just something about cable connections that messes with the MicroCell unlike the old copper lines used for ADSL2 (which is what I have).

It would be great if you could find someone who had an AT&T mobile account and add them to your Approved User list to see if they had any call quality issues.

67 of 85 (589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 11:12:02 AM
(0)
Mentor
As I mentioned previously, I have a couple friends with AT&T accounts, but they live too far and both have iPhones.
As I mentioned previously, I have a couple friends with AT&T accounts, but they live too far and both have iPhones.

68 of 85 (587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 11:13:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry.

Sorry.

69 of 85 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 11:16:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mcs2014 on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:17:26 AM

It's ok. I think the only hope at this point is the new tower my HOA recently approved. It sounds like it's only a matter of a couple weeks. Until then, putting up with the occaisional distortion is ok. I appreciate yours and everyone's help thus far.

It's ok. I think the only hope at this point is the new tower my HOA recently approved. It sounds like it's only a matter of a couple weeks. Until then, putting up with the occaisional distortion is ok. I appreciate yours and everyone's help thus far.

[ Edited ]
70 of 85 (584 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 12:26:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well let us know if anything changes and what happens after the new tower goes in. I'm assuming it is an AT&T tower or at least a shared tower.

Well let us know if anything changes and what happens after the new tower goes in. I'm assuming it is an AT&T tower or at least a shared tower.

71 of 85 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 10:43:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi there, I wanted to add myself to this thread. I'm having the exact same issue with my MCell and my iPhone 5S (running iOS 7.1.1).

When I'm on a call (no matter whether I initiate the call, or if someone calls me), if I talk any longer than 15 minutes or so, the other party tells me I'm cutting out really badly. If I'm on a shorter call, I don't have this problem. I have Comcast with a 100Mbs service down and 30Mbs service up. The MCell is wired directly into my Comcast router, no wireless or any devices on the network between the MCell and the router. I've tried resetting the iPhone, new iOS firmware install, resetting the router, resetting the MCell, and the problem continues to exist. I also had this same problem with my iPhone 5.

Hi there, I wanted to add myself to this thread. I'm having the exact same issue with my MCell and my iPhone 5S (running iOS 7.1.1).

When I'm on a call (no matter whether I initiate the call, or if someone calls me), if I talk any longer than 15 minutes or so, the other party tells me I'm cutting out really badly. If I'm on a shorter call, I don't have this problem. I have Comcast with a 100Mbs service down and 30Mbs service up. The MCell is wired directly into my Comcast router, no wireless or any devices on the network between the MCell and the router. I've tried resetting the iPhone, new iOS firmware install, resetting the router, resetting the MCell, and the problem continues to exist. I also had this same problem with my iPhone 5.

72 of 85 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 11:00:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.1 with no call quality issues at all. No problems with the 5S, 4, or an old Samsung either. I've pasted our list of questions for you to answer. It helps us set a baseline so we don't repeat ouselves.

MicroCell™ TroubleShooting Questions:

1. Do you have an active postpaid AT&T mobile account?
  2. Do you have a combined modem/router or a separate modem and router? What are the model numbers?
  3. Have you met the minimum requirements for router configuration as outlined in the Tech Guide?
  4. What are your download and upload speeds?
  5. What kind of internet service do you have (ADSL, cable, WiFi)?
  6. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)?
  7. What other equipment (computers, WiFi TV’s, Xboxes, Playstations, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
  8. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
  9. Does the ac adapter feel warmer than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are?
  10. Are all of the cables firmly in place?
  11. Have you checked your line speed, http://www.speedtest.net/ ? If so, please post results.
  12. Have you checked to see if you line is adequate for VoIP, http://www.voipqualitytest.com/ ? If so, please post your results.
  13. Have you checked the Technical Guide?

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.1 with no call quality issues at all. No problems with the 5S, 4, or an old Samsung either. I've pasted our list of questions for you to answer. It helps us set a baseline so we don't repeat ouselves.

MicroCell™ TroubleShooting Questions:

2. Do you have a combined modem/router or a separate modem and router? What are the model numbers?
  3. Have you met the minimum requirements for router configuration as outlined in the Tech Guide?
  6. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)?
  7. What other equipment (computers, WiFi TV’s, Xboxes, Playstations, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
  8. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
  9. Does the ac adapter feel warmer than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are?
  11. Have you checked your line speed, http://www.speedtest.net/ ? If so, please post results.
  12. Have you checked to see if you line is adequate for VoIP, http://www.voipqualitytest.com/ ? If so, please post your results.

73 of 85 (469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 11:00:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

Same issue.  On calls other party says 'your breaking up, cant understand you, where did you go" until the call disconnects. 

Have tested lines, reset phone, mcell, router, set mtu, disabled firewalls, etc..  Nothing helps.  Any idea what HW version your mcell is?

Same issue.  On calls other party says 'your breaking up, cant understand you, where did you go" until the call disconnects. 

Have tested lines, reset phone, mcell, router, set mtu, disabled firewalls, etc..  Nothing helps.  Any idea what HW version your mcell is?

74 of 85 (468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 11:04:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

For the record, my MicroCell is version 2. Please respond to the list of questions that I posted for the poster above and we'll take it from there. Your ISP, locatoin, and setup would be helpful as well.

For the record, my MicroCell is version 2. Please respond to the list of questions that I posted for the poster above and we'll take it from there. Your ISP, locatoin, and setup would be helpful as well.

75 of 85 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 12:05:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
    Yes

Separate.  Cable modem : Motorola SB6141   Router: ASUS RT-AC66U

Yes.

50/10

Cable

Modem -->Router --> Mcell

Multiple computers, printers, media devices, etc.

All green

No, both are cool

Yes

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3459828245

Test Type:             Voice over IP
    Downstream Jitter:              1.7 ms
    Downstream Loss:              0 %
    Downstream Packet Order:               100 %
    Upstream Jitter:   1.7 ms
    Upstream Loss:   0 %
    Upstream Packet Order:    100.0 %
    Packet Discards:  0 %
    MOS Score:          4.2

Yes.

Yes

Separate.  Cable modem : Motorola SB6141   Router: ASUS RT-AC66U

Yes.

50/10

Cable

Modem -->Router --> Mcell

Multiple computers, printers, media devices, etc.

All green

No, both are cool

Yes

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3459828245

Test Type:             Voice over IP
    Downstream Jitter:              1.7 ms
    Downstream Loss:              0 %
    Downstream Packet Order:               100 %
    Upstream Jitter:   1.7 ms
    Upstream Loss:   0 %
    Upstream Packet Order:    100.0 %
    Packet Discards:  0 %
    MOS Score:          4.2

Yes.

76 of 85 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 1:53:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What kind of phone do you have? Do you have any other phones (Approved Users) that exhibit the same call quality problems? Quite often the call quality issues are ISP related or something on your network is interfering.

What kind of phone do you have? Do you have any other phones (Approved Users) that exhibit the same call quality problems? Quite often the call quality issues are ISP related or something on your network is interfering.

77 of 85 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 2:33:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have an Iphone 5, has happened with Iphone 4, iphone 4s, etc.  Wife has iphone5, says she has no issues at all.

I just had another call break up, 12 minutes in.  Person on the other end says" where did you go, your breaking up..hello..hello..."  I hear them completely clearly and have 'full bars' from the microcell when it happens.

I have mtu set correctly, and it shows no errors:

admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig eth0
eth0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr x:x:x:x:x:x
           inet addr:x.x.x.203  Bcast:x.x.x.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
           RX packets:46093497 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
           TX packets:34481375 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:92590590 (88.3 MiB)  TX bytes:1832419319 (1.7 GiB)
           Interrupt:4 Base address:0x2000

Ports are opened to the mcell, and its in the DMZ.  Block fragmented packets are disabled by default in the router.

I have an Iphone 5, has happened with Iphone 4, iphone 4s, etc.  Wife has iphone5, says she has no issues at all.

I just had another call break up, 12 minutes in.  Person on the other end says" where did you go, your breaking up..hello..hello..."  I hear them completely clearly and have 'full bars' from the microcell when it happens.

I have mtu set correctly, and it shows no errors:

admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig eth0
eth0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr x:x:x:x:x:x
           inet addr:x.x.x.203  Bcast:x.x.x.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
           RX packets:46093497 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
           TX packets:34481375 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:92590590 (88.3 MiB)  TX bytes:1832419319 (1.7 GiB)
           Interrupt:4 Base address:0x2000

Ports are opened to the mcell, and its in the DMZ.  Block fragmented packets are disabled by default in the router.

78 of 85 (435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 2:47:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm assuming your iPhones are all on the current iOS for their models. What about a Reset Network Settings on the affected phones? You may have to put pw, etc back in though.

Have you tried to assign a static ip address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address? Also, I you are port forwarding to the MicroCell I wouldn't put it in the DMZ as well. However, the fact that one of your iPhones is not  having any issues sort of points back to the phones themselves, especially if all of the lights are solid green on the MicroCell.

I'm assuming your iPhones are all on the current iOS for their models. What about a Reset Network Settings on the affected phones? You may have to put pw, etc back in though.

Have you tried to assign a static ip address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address? Also, I you are port forwarding to the MicroCell I wouldn't put it in the DMZ as well. However, the fact that one of your iPhones is not  having any issues sort of points back to the phones themselves, especially if all of the lights are solid green on the MicroCell.

79 of 85 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:10:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm assuming your iPhones are all on the current iOS for their models. What about a Reset Network Settings on the affected phones?
Yes, and yes.  Updated to 7.1.1 yesterday, and reset network settings has been done numorous times.

Have you tried to assign a static ip address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address?
Yes.

Also, I you are port forwarding to the MicroCell I wouldn't put it in the DMZ as well.
I have tried inside firewall w/port forwarding; in the dmz; and every combo inbetween Smiley Happy

the fact that one of your iPhones is not  having any issues sort of points back to the phones themselves.
Have replaced and reimaged my phone multiple times.  Even bought a brand new one with a new #, on a new account,  Same issue.

I'm assuming your iPhones are all on the current iOS for their models. What about a Reset Network Settings on the affected phones?
Yes, and yes.  Updated to 7.1.1 yesterday, and reset network settings has been done numorous times.

Have you tried to assign a static ip address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address?
Yes.

Also, I you are port forwarding to the MicroCell I wouldn't put it in the DMZ as well.
I have tried inside firewall w/port forwarding; in the dmz; and every combo inbetween Smiley Happy

the fact that one of your iPhones is not  having any issues sort of points back to the phones themselves.
Have replaced and reimaged my phone multiple times.  Even bought a brand new one with a new #, on a new account,  Same issue.

80 of 85 (427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:15:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have to think about this unless Avedis comes up with something. He should be showing up in awhile.

Did you do the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell) which leaves the router out of the chain. I forget. Power cycle everything including the MicroCell. Turn the phones off and then back on so they can re-establish connectivity.

I have to think about this unless Avedis comes up with something. He should be showing up in awhile.

Did you do the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell) which leaves the router out of the chain. I forget. Power cycle everything including the MicroCell. Turn the phones off and then back on so they can re-establish connectivity.

81 of 85 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:16:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have not; I have concerns about the pasthrough capability of the mcell and its robustness to handle the traffic I need.  I have multiple VPN's connected throughout the day, RDP sessions, etc.  I just cant risk the Mcell being the gatekeeper to my LAN.  With the mcell being the sole exception, I have rock solid connectivity.  For example, my VPN to work will stay up for as long as I leave it up; Usually only drops when I manually break the connection.

I have also disabled handoff, with no change in stability.

I have not; I have concerns about the pasthrough capability of the mcell and its robustness to handle the traffic I need.  I have multiple VPN's connected throughout the day, RDP sessions, etc.  I just cant risk the Mcell being the gatekeeper to my LAN.  With the mcell being the sole exception, I have rock solid connectivity.  For example, my VPN to work will stay up for as long as I leave it up; Usually only drops when I manually break the connection.

I have also disabled handoff, with no change in stability.

82 of 85 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:33:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Are you using the Computer port for anything? The MicroCell should have priority status and with the number of devices you have on your LAN, that could be your problem. If you have an extra ethernet port available on your modem, then use that for the alternate connection and don't use the Computer port on the MicroCell for anything. Your LAN should still be ok if everything else is going thru your router and the only device "open" is the MicroCell.

Are you using the Computer port for anything? The MicroCell should have priority status and with the number of devices you have on your LAN, that could be your problem. If you have an extra ethernet port available on your modem, then use that for the alternate connection and don't use the Computer port on the MicroCell for anything. Your LAN should still be ok if everything else is going thru your router and the only device "open" is the MicroCell.

83 of 85 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 9:27:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The Motorola SB6141 modem only has one Ethernet port that is to go to a router or a single device.  I would certainly try as a temporary test to connect the Mcell to the modem and leave the router out of the equation.  See if your call distortion still exists in this configuration.

Given the description of the problem and the remedies already tried, I would have to say that if the alternate connection test doesn't improve the problem then it is most likely an issue with the ISP.  Even though the speed test and VOIP test show that the connection is good, that is still only a snapshot of your internet connection quality.  The fact that you have to be on a call for 15 minutes before experiencing call distortion could be an indication that there are sporadic connection problems with your ISP.

It doesn't look like your Mcell is the problem, given the fact that your indicator lights are all solid green and that you can initiate and receive calls.  Call distortion is due to an interuption of packet flow and that is an ISP issue.  You may want to consider having a tech from the ISP come out and connect test equipment to your cable and watch it over a period of time to see if he can detect packet loss or packet timing issues.

The Motorola SB6141 modem only has one Ethernet port that is to go to a router or a single device.  I would certainly try as a temporary test to connect the Mcell to the modem and leave the router out of the equation.  See if your call distortion still exists in this configuration.

Given the description of the problem and the remedies already tried, I would have to say that if the alternate connection test doesn't improve the problem then it is most likely an issue with the ISP.  Even though the speed test and VOIP test show that the connection is good, that is still only a snapshot of your internet connection quality.  The fact that you have to be on a call for 15 minutes before experiencing call distortion could be an indication that there are sporadic connection problems with your ISP.

It doesn't look like your Mcell is the problem, given the fact that your indicator lights are all solid green and that you can initiate and receive calls.  Call distortion is due to an interuption of packet flow and that is an ISP issue.  You may want to consider having a tech from the ISP come out and connect test equipment to your cable and watch it over a period of time to see if he can detect packet loss or packet timing issues.

84 of 85 (398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 1:51:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Avedis.

Thanks Avedis.

85 of 85 (388 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments