INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

Mentor

INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

A similar issue is described in detail on this Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/11836349#11836349 Just recently purchased the iPhone 5s and am using the Microcell. I have the OPPOSITE problem as described in the above thread in that it's the RECEIVING end of the call that is getting garbled distortion (hearing every other word) despite all bars (or dots) being solid on my end, whereas my audio is perfect. AT&T is sending a new MCell, but I have my doubts that will fix the issue. I even upgraded my ISP to over twice the bandwidth to no avail. I thought it might be a problem with my bluetooth noise canceling, but I powered it off during the problem call and the distortion continued on their end. The only way it stops it to end the call and redial. It is strange that it's only the receiving end that is getting the garbled. I would appreciate any and all feedback as to possible causes!!! I use this for business and this is unacceptable.
Message 1 of 85 (3,856 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: INTERMITTENT CALL DISTORTION ON RECEIVING END OF MICROCELL CALL

I seriously doubt that WiFi would interfere with the Mcell or your cellphones.  AT&T cellphones operate on 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies.  WiFi operates on 2400 MHz and 5000 MHz frequencies.  Bluetooth operates on 2400 MHz also but is specifically designed to coexist and not interfere with WiFi.

I'm trying to piece together your ISP history vs. your Mcell problem.  You said you just switched from DSL to cable internet.  You also said you had problems with your ISP a few years ago even after switching to Verizon.  Were you trying to use Verizon's Range Extender on the DSL or another ISP other than the one you now have? 

Please post your ISP history (who and when) vs. your femtocell usage (Mcell & Range Extender).  I'm willing to bet Otto's life that your issue is ISP related and not related to the Mcell but a clear understanding of the requested information will clarify this.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 85 (2,072 Views)
ACE - Master

Would you quit betting my life!Smiley Surprised Someone is going to collect and then you'll have to deal with my wife.

Seriously tho, Avedis53's suggestion about giving us more detail would be extremely useful. As we've stated before, practically all call quality issues are ISP related which can be very difficult to resolve because it involves the ISP in lending a hand.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 85 (2,068 Views)
ACE - Professor

I was thinking she would probably thank me?

Message 33 of 85 (2,065 Views)
ACE - Master

You funny guy Dr. Jones Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 85 (2,062 Views)
ACE - Professor

OK Short Round........

Message 35 of 85 (2,057 Views)
Mentor

Yes, switched from AT&T service to Verizon and now back to AT&T. I used the Samsung network extender Verizon provided and on their DSL line. The problem I had then was complete drop in internet service in which I had to reboot completely. But no one ever complained about my voice being garbled on any calls. 

AT&T service from 2009-2011 using MCell using iPhone 3GS - line drops, garbled audio on both ends

Verizon serice from 2011-2014 using Network Extender using iPhone 4 - internet service drops, no audio distortion

AT&T service resumed using MCell using iPhone 5S - garbled audio only on other end

Message 36 of 85 (2,050 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

This definitely sounds like an ISP issue, especially if you had issues with the VZ Extender. Who's your ISP?

Message 37 of 85 (2,045 Views)
Mentor

ISP is Cox.

One other thing I forgot to add: I do not have this problem when on calls when off my MCell and away from my location. Wouldn't that indicate it's NOT a problem with the ISP?

Could it be a problem with the iPhone 5s being incompatable with the MCell since the iPhone is LTE? Or could it be something as yet inknown with the iPhone itself?

That's why testing with a non-iPhone AT&T phone would reveal this.

Message 38 of 85 (2,035 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

The iPhone 5 I have has LTE also and I have no issues.

The fact that you had problems both times with Cox and I assume the first time you did not have an iPhone 5s tells me that Cox is the problem.

I'll bet Otto's life on it for sure now.

Message 39 of 85 (2,035 Views)
ACE - Professor

Just for fun, have you tried turning off LTE on the iPhone 5s?  That has helped some with connection problems to the Mcell but not voice quality issues.  Doesn't cost anything to try.

Message 40 of 85 (2,029 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

My life is now in the hands of Avedis53 Smiley Sad

Even tho LTE is rolled out almost completely in my area (and it has been for a very long time), there are still pockets where it isn't so I just leave it off. Either way, my iPhone 5 hands off easily from 4G/LTE to the MicroCell which is 3G only, and vice versa. The iPhone will negotiate to what ever protocol it can connect to just like when you're on the road and you go from 3G to 4G/LTE.

There is a very remote possibility that the 5s may have some issues with the MicroCell because it's new but I doubt it and my money is on Cox.

Your phone apparently works just fine when you are out of the MicroCell range, it only develops issues when you try to use your internet connection for VoIP, which again points to Cox.

Message 41 of 85 (2,029 Views)
Mentor

I did not have Cox at first. I had Embarq (now CenturyLink) from late 2009-early 2014 for my AT&T iPhone 3GS and for my Verizon iPhone 4. 

Message 42 of 85 (2,024 Views)
ACE - Master

I still say it's your ISP, or at the very least the wiring/cabling that connects your residence to Cox. Did you reset your 5s (I forget if you mentioned that)? Call support and see if they can "reset"  your 5s (which usually means they tweak your account settings). That has helped some in the past even tho what AT&T actually does at their end is questionable. If not, send a PM to Customer Care (link is in my sig) and state your problem as clearly as possible, what you have done,  your account info, and location.

Message 43 of 85 (2,021 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

So to recap, two Mcells, two different ISPs, 3 different iPhones and call quality has been bad throughout.  I still think it's your ISP and you should have them send out a tech to check your line out.  He should check your home's cabling and especially any connectors or splitters all the way to the pole.  He should also ring your line out and monitor it for decent amount of time to see if he can catch anything strange going on.

Message 44 of 85 (2,010 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

How about this workaround if all else fails: For when I'm at the location, I forward my AT&T cell service to my ISP provider's digital phone service, AT&T U-Verse VoIP, or better yet, a free internet-based phone system like Ooma. When I travel from the location, I disable call forwarding.

I have a feeling these systems would avoid the call quality situation and MCell entirely.

Thoughts?

Message 45 of 85 (1,950 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.