Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 14, 2013
6:16:26 PM
View profile
I want to buy an AT&T device (tablet) at full price and get it unlocked

AT&T folks:

I'd like to get the Asus VivoTab RT with LTE.  The GSM, non-LTE is not available for sale in the US, and the LTE version is only available through AT&T.  I'm leaving for Europe in two weeks, and would like to be able to use the device abroad with a European SIM card.

Here's the kicker, I'm not an AT&T customer.  Second, I'm confused because the website for requesting AT&T unlocks says they may unlock tablet (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/) but the customer service rep I talked to yesteday said that AT&T does not unlock tablets.  So which is it?

I really want to buy this product on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/VivoTab-TF600TL-B1-GR-Tablet-NVIDIA-Bluetooth/dp/B00A360ZOW) and use it abroad.  Technically, I know it is possible.  The question is, is AT&T willing to help me out?  I would even be willing to use the device on a pre-paid basis (non contract) with AT&T when I get back from my trip.

Thoughts?

AT&T folks:

I'd like to get the Asus VivoTab RT with LTE.  The GSM, non-LTE is not available for sale in the US, and the LTE version is only available through AT&T.  I'm leaving for Europe in two weeks, and would like to be able to use the device abroad with a European SIM card.

Here's the kicker, I'm not an AT&T customer.  Second, I'm confused because the website for requesting AT&T unlocks says they may unlock tablet (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/) but the customer service rep I talked to yesteday said that AT&T does not unlock tablets.  So which is it?

I really want to buy this product on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/VivoTab-TF600TL-B1-GR-Tablet-NVIDIA-Bluetooth/dp/B00A360ZOW) and use it abroad.  Technically, I know it is possible.  The question is, is AT&T willing to help me out?  I would even be willing to use the device on a pre-paid basis (non contract) with AT&T when I get back from my trip.

Thoughts?

I want to buy an AT&T device (tablet) at full price and get it unlocked

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 11:20:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

all devices can be unlocked AFTER the contract has expired. if there is no contract then it should be able to be unlocked. 

all devices can be unlocked AFTER the contract has expired. if there is no contract then it should be able to be unlocked. 

Re: I want to buy an AT&T device (tablet) at full price and get it unlocked

2 of 6 (513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 5:19:06 AM
(0)
Expert

dirtboy01 wrote:

Incorrect. there are devices that will not be unlocked - the garmen phones come to mind, new devices that are exclusive will not be unlocked for 6 to 12 months after they release, there are devices that have specific requirements to qualify - the iphone for example. Besides a US LTE device will not recieve LTE speeds in Europe, the LTE bands are different.

dirtboy01 wrote:

Incorrect. there are devices that will not be unlocked - the garmen phones come to mind, new devices that are exclusive will not be unlocked for 6 to 12 months after they release, there are devices that have specific requirements to qualify - the iphone for example. Besides a US LTE device will not recieve LTE speeds in Europe, the LTE bands are different.

3 of 6 (494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 8:48:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

For one thing, I don't care about LTE speeds in Europe.  3G and HSPA+, if available, is fine with me.

Second, the Asus VivoTab RT came out in October/November, eight months ago.  I hope they'll unlock it.  Seriously, it's not cool of them if they won't.  This sort of thing hurts the "free" market.

For one thing, I don't care about LTE speeds in Europe.  3G and HSPA+, if available, is fine with me.

Second, the Asus VivoTab RT came out in October/November, eight months ago.  I hope they'll unlock it.  Seriously, it's not cool of them if they won't.  This sort of thing hurts the "free" market.

4 of 6 (461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 8:54:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

As a follow up, if I buy the device I would pay $700 for the device outright.  Some of the wording here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=Ct5BRbh0sJQ make the whole thing seem iffy.  As if no one really knows the policy until it happens, on a case by case basis.  I would pay $700 for the device, but before I spend that kind of money, I was hoping AT&T would give me a clearer answer.

As a follow up, if I buy the device I would pay $700 for the device outright.  Some of the wording here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=Ct5BRbh0sJQ make the whole thing seem iffy.  As if no one really knows the policy until it happens, on a case by case basis.  I would pay $700 for the device, but before I spend that kind of money, I was hoping AT&T would give me a clearer answer.

5 of 6 (458 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 8:53:27 AM
(0)
Professor

Seems pretty clear to me since you state in your original post that you're not an AT&T customer.

You must meet the following requirements to unlock an AT&T wireless device:

• The person requesting the unlock code must be one of the following:
    • A current AT&T customer
    • A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

Seems pretty clear to me since you state in your original post that you're not an AT&T customer.

You must meet the following requirements to unlock an AT&T wireless device:

• The person requesting the unlock code must be one of the following:
    • A current AT&T customer
    • A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

6 of 6 (427 Views)