Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 28, 2011
12:56:12 AM
View profile
I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.
I am so frustrated. I have used 5.5 gigs of data and got throttled today and now my phone is useless. I can basically only make calls and check e-mail. I accepted my speed being decreased but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I didn't expect my speed to be killed off completely.

I called ATT and they offered me a 4 gig tiered plan. Here's the catch. I will have to pay for going over my data even if I was unlimited since I'll be changing.

REALLY?! Is there a higher department we can contact besides Customer support? This isn't right. I have an iPhone 4s that basically doesn't work.
I am so frustrated. I have used 5.5 gigs of data and got throttled today and now my phone is useless. I can basically only make calls and check e-mail. I accepted my speed being decreased but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I didn't expect my speed to be killed off completely.

I called ATT and they offered me a 4 gig tiered plan. Here's the catch. I will have to pay for going over my data even if I was unlimited since I'll be changing.

REALLY?! Is there a higher department we can contact besides Customer support? This isn't right. I have an iPhone 4s that basically doesn't work.

I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

55 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(55)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 9:26:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mendomar012 wrote:
I have used 2.5 gigs in about 7 days

I have used about 1.7GB in 10 days, but I know I was streaming a good bit of video on at least one of those days, maybe more.  It all depends upon what you're doing if your usage is high or low.  If I were to be streaming Pandora, or Spotify for several hours a day, I could easily suck up that much data in a week too.  Just streaming 2 movies over Netflix would probably come close to that for usage, and I could do that in a single day...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

mendomar012 wrote:
I have used 2.5 gigs in about 7 days

I have used about 1.7GB in 10 days, but I know I was streaming a good bit of video on at least one of those days, maybe more.  It all depends upon what you're doing if your usage is high or low.  If I were to be streaming Pandora, or Spotify for several hours a day, I could easily suck up that much data in a week too.  Just streaming 2 movies over Netflix would probably come close to that for usage, and I could do that in a single day...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

31 of 56 (2,289 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 6:43:25 PM
(1)
Guru

I'm concerned with how some of you all use that much data so quickly.
I've never personally gone over 2 gigs in one month ever. Even with all the tweaks i have to allow me to do everything over the network (jailbroken i5). 

Second, be happy you have unlimited data. ATT allows you to keep it. Unlike what Verizon has done to their customers.

All i can say is be wary of what you do that hogs that much data and use Wi-Fi.

I'm concerned with how some of you all use that much data so quickly.
I've never personally gone over 2 gigs in one month ever. Even with all the tweaks i have to allow me to do everything over the network (jailbroken i5). 

Second, be happy you have unlimited data. ATT allows you to keep it. Unlike what Verizon has done to their customers.

All i can say is be wary of what you do that hogs that much data and use Wi-Fi.

32 of 56 (2,244 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 9:20:55 AM
(1)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jun 13, 2013 at 10:33:21 AM

After getting a text message from AT&T, I had to chime in.

This is absolutely unacceptable!

After 3Gb of usage and you throttle me???

Unlike many of you, I have a low paying job, so I can't afford the luxuries that you all can afford.

I don't own a computer nor can I afford to buy one. I don't have an Internet service nor can I afford one.

Thus: my phone IS my computer. My phone IS my monthly ISP.

It is used to do everything you all do on your desktop computers or laptops!

I watch YouTube videos, play games, email, cruise web pages so on and so forth!

2 months ago, I used up 8Gb of data. I know, I just blew some of your minds. But like I said: my phone IS my computer and for AT&T to hinder my speeds is appalling.

I am the perfect example of why this is absolutely bologna.

Like you, I pay for a service and I should recieve that service I pay for. I don't go into Pizza Hut, order a pizza and recieve HALF a pizza!

The unfortunate fact is, even Verizon does this, so as much as I'd like to "jump ship", I can't because this is the new thing: corporations like this bending over their customers and making them take it and there's nothing we can do.

Makes me sick....

[Inappropriate content removed]

Unlike many of you, I have a low paying job, so I can't afford the luxuries that you all can afford.

I don't own a computer nor can I afford to buy one. I don't have an Internet service nor can I afford one.

2 months ago, I used up 8Gb of data. I know, I just blew some of your minds. But like I said: my phone IS my computer and for AT&T to hinder my speeds is appalling.

Like you, I pay for a service and I should recieve that service I pay for. I don't go into Pizza Hut, order a pizza and recieve HALF a pizza!

The unfortunate fact is, even Verizon does this, so as much as I'd like to "jump ship", I can't because this is the new thing: corporations like this bending over their customers and making them take it and there's nothing we can do.

Makes me sick....

[ Edited ]
33 of 56 (2,156 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 11:10:56 AM
(1)
Expert

HwoarangRules wrote:

Makes me sick....

you ARE recieving the service you pay for, just not a the speeds that you feel you deserve. The speed maybe throttled at 3gb (or 5GB for lte) but you are still recieving data, compliant with the terms of service and fair use policy that you agreed to.

By the way, verzion has sunsetted their discontinued unlimited plan at the time the user upgrades their smartphone - want subsidized price, then swith to tiered plan, want to keep unlimited - then pay full price for the phone.

You can always go to sprint, supposedly they have true "unlimited" data, but at an absymal speed.

HwoarangRules wrote:

Makes me sick....

you ARE recieving the service you pay for, just not a the speeds that you feel you deserve. The speed maybe throttled at 3gb (or 5GB for lte) but you are still recieving data, compliant with the terms of service and fair use policy that you agreed to.

By the way, verzion has sunsetted their discontinued unlimited plan at the time the user upgrades their smartphone - want subsidized price, then swith to tiered plan, want to keep unlimited - then pay full price for the phone.

You can always go to sprint, supposedly they have true "unlimited" data, but at an absymal speed.

34 of 56 (2,139 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 12:53:32 PM
(1)
Guru

You ARE recieving the service you pay for. You paid for an unlimited data plan, not having a cap, and being allowed to use as much data as you want, without overages. No one said that it had to be fast. Even "all you can eat buffets" will kick you out after a certain amount of time lol My family is a 1 income family (I am a stay-at-home mom), and we too have the grandfathered unlimited data. In the 5+ years we have been with AT&T I have only been throttled twice. And that was on maternity bedrest watching Netflix for almost a month straight. I just had to cut back a little.

Streaming anything takes up a LOT of data. Stop streaming YouTube. Don't stream internet radio. Eliminating those 2 right there should keep you within 3GB a month.

You ARE recieving the service you pay for. You paid for an unlimited data plan, not having a cap, and being allowed to use as much data as you want, without overages. No one said that it had to be fast. Even "all you can eat buffets" will kick you out after a certain amount of time lol My family is a 1 income family (I am a stay-at-home mom), and we too have the grandfathered unlimited data. In the 5+ years we have been with AT&T I have only been throttled twice. And that was on maternity bedrest watching Netflix for almost a month straight. I just had to cut back a little.

Streaming anything takes up a LOT of data. Stop streaming YouTube. Don't stream internet radio. Eliminating those 2 right there should keep you within 3GB a month.

Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the spelling and brevity.

35 of 56 (2,125 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 7:07:36 PM
(1)
ACE - Master

I like your comparison of iPhone data to Pizza Hut Pizza.  Your comparison is slightly off though.  If you want to compare the iPhone data plan to Pizza Hut Pizze, you would need to compare it to the all you can eat lunch buffet.  If you go to Pizza Hut and get the all you can eat lunch puffet, you pay a fixed price and get all the pizza you can eat during that time.  That is just like the AT&T unlimited data plan is.  If you have ever noticed, there are some pizzas in the buffet that they don't refill as often, and there is almost always more plain cheese pizza than anyone wants.  Hmmm, that sounds a lot like what AT&T does, they don't "refill" the fast data service as quickly, and there is almost always more slow service than anyone really wants.  You can have as much as you want, as fast as the provider can provide it.  It just so happens that on iPhone data, the provider does not provide it as quickly when you "eat" 3 full pizzas for your low "all you can eat" price.

AT&T is a business that has shareholders they need to be accountable to.  When smartphones were first introduces, Edge was the fastest data service you could get.  Back then, the line speeds topped around 100-150 Kbps.  At that time AT&T started offering the unlimited data plan, and that was your only option.  Get unlimited or don't get a smartphone.  Since that time, 3G was release and data speeds went up to 3Mbps or about 20 times faster, and AT&T kept the unlimited data plan as the only option.  Next up, the data speeds doubled again with the HSPA+ and AT&T grandfathered the unlimited data plan because so many customers were complaining about having to spend all that money for an unlimited plan they never used, and AT&T introduce the tiered plans.  Now data speeds are up to 40+Mbps with LTE (about 200-400 times faster than the original Edge service) and AT&T openly throttles uses who use excessive data on their unlimited plans, but still does not throttle users on the tiered plans.  Not the users who still have their grandfathered unlimited data plans are complaining that they are not getting getting data on their phone fast enough, when they are still getting it at about the same speed as the original iPhone users who complained because they HAD to have unlimited data, but never used it.  From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense for being profitable to their shareholders.

AT&T will tell you that if you don't want to be throttled, then drop your unlimited plan (don't order the all you can eat buffet) and get the tiered service (order from the regular menu).  You will get the full speed (you will get your full pizzas delivered fairly quickly) but you will have to pay the full menu price, and when you eat the first pizza, a second pizza can be delivered, but you will be charged full price for it as well.  If you continue to eat from the all you can eat buffet, you may have to wait while the pizzas are baked for the customers paying full price before more are put out on your buffet table.  That's the chance you take when you order from that menu.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

I like your comparison of iPhone data to Pizza Hut Pizza.  Your comparison is slightly off though.  If you want to compare the iPhone data plan to Pizza Hut Pizze, you would need to compare it to the all you can eat lunch buffet.  If you go to Pizza Hut and get the all you can eat lunch puffet, you pay a fixed price and get all the pizza you can eat during that time.  That is just like the AT&T unlimited data plan is.  If you have ever noticed, there are some pizzas in the buffet that they don't refill as often, and there is almost always more plain cheese pizza than anyone wants.  Hmmm, that sounds a lot like what AT&T does, they don't "refill" the fast data service as quickly, and there is almost always more slow service than anyone really wants.  You can have as much as you want, as fast as the provider can provide it.  It just so happens that on iPhone data, the provider does not provide it as quickly when you "eat" 3 full pizzas for your low "all you can eat" price.

AT&T is a business that has shareholders they need to be accountable to.  When smartphones were first introduces, Edge was the fastest data service you could get.  Back then, the line speeds topped around 100-150 Kbps.  At that time AT&T started offering the unlimited data plan, and that was your only option.  Get unlimited or don't get a smartphone.  Since that time, 3G was release and data speeds went up to 3Mbps or about 20 times faster, and AT&T kept the unlimited data plan as the only option.  Next up, the data speeds doubled again with the HSPA+ and AT&T grandfathered the unlimited data plan because so many customers were complaining about having to spend all that money for an unlimited plan they never used, and AT&T introduce the tiered plans.  Now data speeds are up to 40+Mbps with LTE (about 200-400 times faster than the original Edge service) and AT&T openly throttles uses who use excessive data on their unlimited plans, but still does not throttle users on the tiered plans.  Not the users who still have their grandfathered unlimited data plans are complaining that they are not getting getting data on their phone fast enough, when they are still getting it at about the same speed as the original iPhone users who complained because they HAD to have unlimited data, but never used it.  From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense for being profitable to their shareholders.

AT&T will tell you that if you don't want to be throttled, then drop your unlimited plan (don't order the all you can eat buffet) and get the tiered service (order from the regular menu).  You will get the full speed (you will get your full pizzas delivered fairly quickly) but you will have to pay the full menu price, and when you eat the first pizza, a second pizza can be delivered, but you will be charged full price for it as well.  If you continue to eat from the all you can eat buffet, you may have to wait while the pizzas are baked for the customers paying full price before more are put out on your buffet table.  That's the chance you take when you order from that menu.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

36 of 56 (2,055 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 7:10:23 AM
(1)
Contributor
I have to say it doesn't take much to go over 5 gigs especially if you travel a lot or don't have a lot of wifi options.
I have to say it doesn't take much to go over 5 gigs especially if you travel a lot or don't have a lot of wifi options.

37 of 56 (1,810 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 7:15:58 AM
(1)
Contributor
I pay for my phone services including unlimited data, I don't think I should have to cut back on anything. I paid for my expensive phone and plan and everybody's saying maybe you need to cut back. What's the point in having a smart phone if you can't watch a video when u need to or have too.
I pay for my phone services including unlimited data, I don't think I should have to cut back on anything. I paid for my expensive phone and plan and everybody's saying maybe you need to cut back. What's the point in having a smart phone if you can't watch a video when u need to or have too.

38 of 56 (1,804 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 7:28:08 AM
(1)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 7, 2013 at 7:30:48 AM

Devinenders wrote:

you also agreed to the terms, if you want to be able to use data and full speed with no caps then go to a shared plan or a tiered plan. This plan needs to go away like the edsel did. You stil have unlimited data, just not at the speed you think you should get

Devinenders wrote:

you also agreed to the terms, if you want to be able to use data and full speed with no caps then go to a shared plan or a tiered plan. This plan needs to go away like the edsel did. You stil have unlimited data, just not at the speed you think you should get

[ Edited ]
39 of 56 (1,799 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 3:02:09 PM
(1)
Contributor

I don't understand how anyone can argue that when you pay for unlimited and it gets limited you are getting the service you pay for? That is just untrue. Any second grader with a basic understanding of the english language will tell you that if you "limit" something, then by definition it is inappropriate to call it "unlimited"

If I am paying for unlimited, no matter what silly thing AT&T has snuck into it's insanely long TOS, once it is "limited" I am no longer getting "unlimited", and I am not getting what I am paying for. Anybody who claims that throttled service can still somehow be referred to as "unlimited" has a limited understanding of logic and the english language.

In my opinion, AT&T is misleading it's customers by claiming to provide unlimited service. And by claiming that because the limits are not on amount of data, but on speed, that they don't have to really call them "limits", AT&T is seriously insulting me.

Now, the more important question, is throttling ok or not? This is where I disagree with most here. I think it's fine. If you are an old unlimited data plan subscriber (like me, I actually had three at one point) I believe you have no authority to force AT&T to keep providing unlimited data service. If a company wants to stop selling a product it sells, there should be no reason they have to continue selling it. For example, if pizza hut determined that selling a whole pizza to you made them loose money, and instead discovered that if they sold half a pizza, they could again be profitable, in my opinion then they should start selling half pizzas and remain profitable. But, then they should call it a half pizza. which I what AT&T is not doing.

My main gripe is that AT&T continues to claim these plans are "unlimited". I would rather they just man up and call it what it is. They took all of the old "unlimited" data plans and changed them to limited data plans. The OLD unlimited plan no longer exists. Anybody who still refers to the current "unlimited" plan as being unlimited is factually wrong. The NEW plan is only unlimited for a limited amount of data (5gb or 3gb depending) then it is limited for the rest of your data use. When your data gets slowed down, to such a speed that it is useless, that is a "limit". No argument I hear will ever convince me otherwise. And if you argue such you are foolish.

Look at this analogy:

How about we consider AT&T's new "unlimited" voice/text plans. Would anybody consider them "unlimited" if after 2000 texts you could still send as many texts as you wanted, but only one every 20 minutes? Well, sweet second graders would be what us adults call a "limit". If you could make "unlimited" phone calls, but, after 2000 minutes, the quality of the voice connection was intentionally reduced so that you couldn't hear or understand the person you were talking to? Again, that would be what grown ups call a "limit"

AT&T, please, just stop pretending you are allowing customers with old unlimited data plans to retain their plans. You have not done that. You do now limit those plans, making them not qualify to be called unlimited. Please call it what it is. But, if you want to do that. I have no problem with it. As a consumer, I have the option to buy my cell phone service from many providers. And, even with your limits I might still choose to use you for my cell service. However, for me personally, I would be more likely to trust you, and as a result buy more of your products, if you behaved in a forthright manner, and accurately named your plans. Then I would feel like in the future I could make an honest decision about what I am purchasing from you. I will be less likely to trust you after you try and convince me the english language doesn't apply to you.

I don't understand how anyone can argue that when you pay for unlimited and it gets limited you are getting the service you pay for? That is just untrue. Any second grader with a basic understanding of the english language will tell you that if you "limit" something, then by definition it is inappropriate to call it "unlimited"

If I am paying for unlimited, no matter what silly thing AT&T has snuck into it's insanely long TOS, once it is "limited" I am no longer getting "unlimited", and I am not getting what I am paying for. Anybody who claims that throttled service can still somehow be referred to as "unlimited" has a limited understanding of logic and the english language.

In my opinion, AT&T is misleading it's customers by claiming to provide unlimited service. And by claiming that because the limits are not on amount of data, but on speed, that they don't have to really call them "limits", AT&T is seriously insulting me.

Now, the more important question, is throttling ok or not? This is where I disagree with most here. I think it's fine. If you are an old unlimited data plan subscriber (like me, I actually had three at one point) I believe you have no authority to force AT&T to keep providing unlimited data service. If a company wants to stop selling a product it sells, there should be no reason they have to continue selling it. For example, if pizza hut determined that selling a whole pizza to you made them loose money, and instead discovered that if they sold half a pizza, they could again be profitable, in my opinion then they should start selling half pizzas and remain profitable. But, then they should call it a half pizza. which I what AT&T is not doing.

My main gripe is that AT&T continues to claim these plans are "unlimited". I would rather they just man up and call it what it is. They took all of the old "unlimited" data plans and changed them to limited data plans. The OLD unlimited plan no longer exists. Anybody who still refers to the current "unlimited" plan as being unlimited is factually wrong. The NEW plan is only unlimited for a limited amount of data (5gb or 3gb depending) then it is limited for the rest of your data use. When your data gets slowed down, to such a speed that it is useless, that is a "limit". No argument I hear will ever convince me otherwise. And if you argue such you are foolish.

Look at this analogy:

How about we consider AT&T's new "unlimited" voice/text plans. Would anybody consider them "unlimited" if after 2000 texts you could still send as many texts as you wanted, but only one every 20 minutes? Well, sweet second graders would be what us adults call a "limit". If you could make "unlimited" phone calls, but, after 2000 minutes, the quality of the voice connection was intentionally reduced so that you couldn't hear or understand the person you were talking to? Again, that would be what grown ups call a "limit"

AT&T, please, just stop pretending you are allowing customers with old unlimited data plans to retain their plans. You have not done that. You do now limit those plans, making them not qualify to be called unlimited. Please call it what it is. But, if you want to do that. I have no problem with it. As a consumer, I have the option to buy my cell phone service from many providers. And, even with your limits I might still choose to use you for my cell service. However, for me personally, I would be more likely to trust you, and as a result buy more of your products, if you behaved in a forthright manner, and accurately named your plans. Then I would feel like in the future I could make an honest decision about what I am purchasing from you. I will be less likely to trust you after you try and convince me the english language doesn't apply to you.

40 of 56 (1,683 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 3:42:03 PM
(1)
Expert

they are not claiming anything - that particualr plan has been discontinued and is not being advertised anymore. The terms of service and fair use policy that governed it specifcly states that the carrier has the right to take needed actions. ATo "claim" something that "something" has to be advertised , the plan is discontinued and only people that had it back in 2009 know about it. The new person signing up has no ability to choose that plan. Have not seen any advertising on the unlimited plan for close to 4 years

By contractual agreement that you have in your possesion it is in the terms, take the time to read and understand it, if you don;t understand it seek professional counceil to explain it to you.

ATT is not pretending a single thing, you have the documentation, examine it. You have to bottom line choises

1. continue with the unlimited plan and let the carrier regualte your usage when it goes in excess of the proscribed limits

2. switch to a tiered or shared plan and self-regualte your useage with your checkbook

Best resolution is for this plan to be sunsetted.

they are not claiming anything - that particualr plan has been discontinued and is not being advertised anymore. The terms of service and fair use policy that governed it specifcly states that the carrier has the right to take needed actions. ATo "claim" something that "something" has to be advertised , the plan is discontinued and only people that had it back in 2009 know about it. The new person signing up has no ability to choose that plan. Have not seen any advertising on the unlimited plan for close to 4 years

By contractual agreement that you have in your possesion it is in the terms, take the time to read and understand it, if you don;t understand it seek professional counceil to explain it to you.

ATT is not pretending a single thing, you have the documentation, examine it. You have to bottom line choises

1. continue with the unlimited plan and let the carrier regualte your usage when it goes in excess of the proscribed limits

2. switch to a tiered or shared plan and self-regualte your useage with your checkbook

Best resolution is for this plan to be sunsetted.

41 of 56 (1,678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 7:47:05 AM
(0)
Guru

This argument is getting so old. Nowhere in your terms of service did AT&T promise you a certain amount of speed. You ARE getting unlimited data; if you aren't happy with the speeds you are getting then change plans. I agree with wingrider; AT&T needs to sunset the old unlimited plans completely.

fatkdog wrote:

Look at this analogy:

This argument is getting so old. Nowhere in your terms of service did AT&T promise you a certain amount of speed. You ARE getting unlimited data; if you aren't happy with the speeds you are getting then change plans. I agree with wingrider; AT&T needs to sunset the old unlimited plans completely.

fatkdog wrote:

Look at this analogy:

42 of 56 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 8:27:49 AM
(0)
Professor
Personally, I hope they keep the unlimited plans as long as possible. I don't like the idea of throttling either, but I'm not one who uses a ridiculous amount of data. I enjoy the idea of not getting monetarily penalized in the admittedly unlikely unlikely event I do go over.
Personally, I hope they keep the unlimited plans as long as possible. I don't like the idea of throttling either, but I'm not one who uses a ridiculous amount of data. I enjoy the idea of not getting monetarily penalized in the admittedly unlikely unlikely event I do go over.

43 of 56 (1,638 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 12:45:51 PM
(1)
Scholar

As wingrider and others have pointed out time again...if you "AT&T is ripping me off on the unlimited data plan" folks can't show exactly where in the TOS it says you are guaranteed unlimited throughput/speed, then you guys really need to stop whining about it in here once and for all.  You know you guys have nothing to stand on, given that whenever folks like wingrider ask you to point out where it says guaranteed unlimited speed in the TOS, none of you guys have yet to cough up the section where it says so.  Don't keep arguing that AT&T is misleading you when you can't even point out where in the TOS does it say anything that would bolster your argument about why you rightfully shouldn't be throttled on your unlimited data plan...

As wingrider and others have pointed out time again...if you "AT&T is ripping me off on the unlimited data plan" folks can't show exactly where in the TOS it says you are guaranteed unlimited throughput/speed, then you guys really need to stop whining about it in here once and for all.  You know you guys have nothing to stand on, given that whenever folks like wingrider ask you to point out where it says guaranteed unlimited speed in the TOS, none of you guys have yet to cough up the section where it says so.  Don't keep arguing that AT&T is misleading you when you can't even point out where in the TOS does it say anything that would bolster your argument about why you rightfully shouldn't be throttled on your unlimited data plan...

44 of 56 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 11:07:58 PM
(0)
Explorer

Also, I mean... I am thrilled that I have the Unlimited LTE plan because I can get up to 5GB of data without throttling when other customers would have to pay either $50 outright or $30 + $10 per gb.  While I only pay $30.  I usually stay under 3 GB anyways, but there are those random months I hit high notes, like when I first got LTE and I was so stoked that I chose to keep my wifi off because my data was faster... I still only hit 4.1 GB (an all time record in the 10 years I've had service).

Also, I mean... I am thrilled that I have the Unlimited LTE plan because I can get up to 5GB of data without throttling when other customers would have to pay either $50 outright or $30 + $10 per gb.  While I only pay $30.  I usually stay under 3 GB anyways, but there are those random months I hit high notes, like when I first got LTE and I was so stoked that I chose to keep my wifi off because my data was faster... I still only hit 4.1 GB (an all time record in the 10 years I've had service).

45 of 56 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 4:16:55 AM
(0)
Professor
I admit I love it too. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
I admit I love it too. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

46 of 56 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 3:14:42 PM
(0)
Guru

I finally switched when it became cheaper to have my iPhone and my iPad on a shared plan rather than keep the plans separate. Plus, the tethering capability is nice in an emergency. 

I finally switched when it became cheaper to have my iPhone and my iPad on a shared plan rather than keep the plans separate. Plus, the tethering capability is nice in an emergency. 

47 of 56 (1,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 3:16:49 PM
(0)
Professor
How much is it extra for the ipad share?

48 of 56 (1,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 3:40:12 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 5, 2013 at 3:41:28 PM

SLIKRICK wrote:

if they are speaking of Mobile share, the cost of a ipad is 10.00 a month, for smartphones the cost varies depending on the amount of data you decide to get, starts at 50.00 per phone with 300MB and the decreases from there with the larger amount of data you select down to a minimum of 30.00 per smartphone. You can put up to 10 devices on a shared data plan and it includes unlimited voice minutes and texting plus you can tether or hotspot with the plan

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/mobileshare.html

SLIKRICK wrote:

if they are speaking of Mobile share, the cost of a ipad is 10.00 a month, for smartphones the cost varies depending on the amount of data you decide to get, starts at 50.00 per phone with 300MB and the decreases from there with the larger amount of data you select down to a minimum of 30.00 per smartphone. You can put up to 10 devices on a shared data plan and it includes unlimited voice minutes and texting plus you can tether or hotspot with the plan

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/mobileshare.html

[ Edited ]
49 of 56 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 3:46:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Cool. Good info. Thanks.
Cool. Good info. Thanks.

50 of 56 (1,347 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 12:55:07 AM
(1)
Contributor
Edited by dubd on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:57:42 AM

The "unlimited" language seems rather deceptive. The limit seems very clear, with a throttle trigger point at 5 gigabytes of usage.

Lets say running constantly at completely peak usage...

The 4G AT&Tnetwork can pipe 13.15 megabits per second into our devices (per their info).

13.15 megabits = 0.001647949 Gb

At full blast usage, it would consume the 5Gb in 3034.07447681937 seconds

That's about 51 minutes.

And the remainder of a month let's say is 29 days, 23 hours.

After they set the throttling, the pace of data I have seen is around 450 kbps.

The remainder of seconds left in a month would be 1,588,400.

1,588,400 x 450 kbps =  714,780,000 kilobits potentially used in the rest of the month which = .00001014655026674 Gb.

So generously speaking it seems their plan is essentially not unlimited but rather limited to 5Gb (5.00001014655026674Gb) per month.

How is that unlimited? It is a clear limit. It is limited. Maybe double check my math.

The "unlimited" language seems rather deceptive. The limit seems very clear, with a throttle trigger point at 5 gigabytes of usage.

Lets say running constantly at completely peak usage...

The 4G AT&Tnetwork can pipe 13.15 megabits per second into our devices (per their info).

13.15 megabits = 0.001647949 Gb

At full blast usage, it would consume the 5Gb in 3034.07447681937 seconds

That's about 51 minutes.

And the remainder of a month let's say is 29 days, 23 hours.

After they set the throttling, the pace of data I have seen is around 450 kbps.

The remainder of seconds left in a month would be 1,588,400.

1,588,400 x 450 kbps =  714,780,000 kilobits potentially used in the rest of the month which = .00001014655026674 Gb.

So generously speaking it seems their plan is essentially not unlimited but rather limited to 5Gb (5.00001014655026674Gb) per month.

How is that unlimited? It is a clear limit. It is limited. Maybe double check my math.

[ Edited ]
51 of 56 (774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 4:52:17 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Richmond Dan on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:53:45 AM

Unlimited volume, not speed.  Other truly "limited" plans stop your download completely, once you reach your stated limit.  Yours has unlimited download volume.

Unlimited volume, not speed.  Other truly "limited" plans stop your download completely, once you reach your stated limit.  Yours has unlimited download volume.

[ Edited ]
52 of 56 (758 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 8:06:04 AM
(1)
ACE - Professor
The choice is unlimited volume, throttled after 5GB, or packaged volume at network speed. Very simple to understand.
The choice is unlimited volume, throttled after 5GB, or packaged volume at network speed. Very simple to understand.

53 of 56 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 8:16:53 AM
(0)
Guru
Can we stop beating this dead horse?! It's been explained time and time again what unlimited data means. It was also explained in your ToS that you probably didn't read, just signed like most do.
Can we stop beating this dead horse?! It's been explained time and time again what unlimited data means. It was also explained in your ToS that you probably didn't read, just signed like most do.
Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the spelling and brevity.

54 of 56 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 10:06:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

dubd--since one can theoretically consume only a finite amount of data each and every single month...does it matter whether "unlimited" really means unlimited?  Think of it as sort of like an AYCE buffet--even if the restaurant starts to limit how much food you can bring back to your table each time you go for another round of food...ultimately you'll reach a limit of how much food you can digest in one sitting...not unless you claim to have a bottomless pit for a stomach.

dubd--since one can theoretically consume only a finite amount of data each and every single month...does it matter whether "unlimited" really means unlimited?  Think of it as sort of like an AYCE buffet--even if the restaurant starts to limit how much food you can bring back to your table each time you go for another round of food...ultimately you'll reach a limit of how much food you can digest in one sitting...not unless you claim to have a bottomless pit for a stomach.

55 of 56 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 1:50:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

juicy907couture wrote:
Can we stop beating this dead horse?

Sure, right after we stop beating the "Please unlock my iPhone, even though I was never a customer" rotting horse.

juicy907couture wrote:
Can we stop beating this dead horse?

Sure, right after we stop beating the "Please unlock my iPhone, even though I was never a customer" rotting horse.

56 of 56 (709 Views)