I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

Tutor

I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

I am so frustrated. I have used 5.5 gigs of data and got throttled today and now my phone is useless. I can basically only make calls and check e-mail. I accepted my speed being decreased but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I didn't expect my speed to be killed off completely.

I called ATT and they offered me a 4 gig tiered plan. Here's the catch. I will have to pay for going over my data even if I was unlimited since I'll be changing.

REALLY?! Is there a higher department we can contact besides Customer support? This isn't right. I have an iPhone 4s that basically doesn't work.
Message 1 of 56 (11,280 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

You'll need to decide if using that much data is critical for your phone use or not, and if so, if you can afford to pay the extra $10 per GB every month. Either that, or limit your phone to non-video streaming when off wifi.

The only choices are:

* switch to metered plan

* self-limit use

* switch to different carrier (Sprint is the only choice left for unlimited data, and who knows for how long)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 56 (11,162 Views)
Scholar

5.5 gigs of data is a large amount of data. I constantly stream music with different apps and I have only gone over 2 gigs one time in the 2+ years that I have had an iPhone. I really don't understand what you could be doing that would use that much data. If you are sitting somewhere watching movies, you should probably find a hotspot to hop on wifi. With the number of free options that are available, it shouldn't be that hard.

If you are doing something else besides heavy movie watching, please post your usage because I am interested to know exactly how someone uses that much data in a month.

Message 3 of 56 (11,150 Views)
Mentor

browski wrote:

5.5 gigs of data is a large amount of data. I constantly stream music with different apps and I have only gone over 2 gigs one time in the 2+ years that I have had an iPhone. I really don't understand what you could be doing that would use that much data. If you are sitting somewhere watching movies, you should probably find a hotspot to hop on wifi. With the number of free options that are available, it shouldn't be that hard.

If you are doing something else besides heavy movie watching, please post your usage because I am interested to know exactly how someone uses that much data in a month.

Ditto.  I'm at work all day and check my email and a few times a week stream Pandora throughout the day on 3G but I think I have only gone over 1GB once in the 2.5 years Ive had an iPhone (I have the grandfathered unlimited plan too btw).  When I'm at home I'm always on Wi-Fi....I think last month, after just getting the 4S I only used ~500MB.  I'm curious on how people rack up such large amounts of data... 

Message 4 of 56 (11,119 Views)
Tutor

Ok, so I checked my bill and noticed my data went to the roof after the release of iOS5. I called ATT and they agreed that since Oct, my date usage has been high. They told me to turn off iCloud (it already is) but could not remove the speed cap.

Here's my problem. You buy an iPhone and it does what is advertises and then when it does, there's a limit to "unlimited" and you get punished by ATT giving you snail-moving internet speeds. It's not fair.
Message 5 of 56 (11,111 Views)
Mentor

iCloud backup only runs when the phone is locked, plugged in and on WiFi.  My device does it every night (1.1GB)  It has not once shown up on my billing statement, 5 days into my current period I've used 48.55MB.  I plug my phone in everynight.  Are you using iTunes Match?  If you don't want limits go to Sprint, they are the only true unlimited left.  Right or wrong they (ATT) are giving you an unlimited amount of data, you just get the end of it at a reduced speed.  I have the unlimited data plan and dont have any problems....

Message 6 of 56 (11,107 Views)
Scholar

I can understand your frustration t/s, but I and another person in here admit to streaming a good bit of music and we both have the same iOS 5 that you are using. There has to be something else that is going on. Try turning off push notifications (this will save battery as well) and see if that helps.

In addition, you still have the ability to use as much data as you want per month. You will be throttled, so the speed might not be what you expect, but you still have the ability to use data on the network. The unlimited plan just gives you the ability to use as much data as you want, it says nothing about the speed at which you are able to receive the data.

I'm sure it is irritating, but AT&T is doing nothing that is not allowed in the TOS. Unfortunately, all of the nationwide services with good data speeds are moving in this direction. You have to decide whether unlimited data or unthrottled data is more important to you. Depending on that decision, you will either suffer slow speeds after a certain amount of data usage or you will be forced to pay for the speedy download of the excess data you use.

Message 7 of 56 (11,067 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

There IS a higher authority. AT&T is demonstrating bad faith in regards to our unlimited data contract. By throttling bandwidth, they are limiting data usage. Whether they claim to be in the right due to fine print is immaterial. They are in breach of contract. Go to the FCC's website to file a formal complaint like I did. No court will stand by such blatant theft of bandwidth, especially given all we pay for it. Do not give up your contract or sign a new one... AT&T is simply disgusting.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Message 8 of 56 (10,762 Views)

If you go into your Store setting, you can turn off "Use Cellular Data" under Automatic Downloads. That means if you want to listen to music you have stored in iCloud, you'll either have to have already downloaded it to your phone or you'll have to hop on wifi to pull it down. That should cut down on the amount of data you're using.

Unfortunately, you are stuck for the remainder of your billing period.

lll1424 wrote:
Ok, so I checked my bill and noticed my data went to the roof after the release of iOS5. I called ATT and they agreed that since Oct, my date usage has been high. They told me to turn off iCloud (it already is) but could not remove the speed cap.

Here's my problem. You buy an iPhone and it does what is advertises and then when it does, there's a limit to "unlimited" and you get punished by ATT giving you snail-moving internet speeds. It's not fair.

Message 9 of 56 (10,757 Views)
Guru

lll1424 wrote:
I am so frustrated. I have used 5.5 gigs of data and got throttled today and now my phone is useless. I can basically only make calls and check e-mail. I accepted my speed being decreased but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I didn't expect my speed to be killed off completely.

I called ATT and they offered me a 4 gig tiered plan. Here's the catch. I will have to pay for going over my data even if I was unlimited since I'll be changing.

REALLY?! Is there a higher department we can contact besides Customer support? This isn't right. I have an iPhone 4s that basically doesn't work.
5.5 Gig???? That is a ton of data and you are not done with your billing cycle? You have to be doing something you shouldn't be. I have 5 iphones on iOS 5 and only use around 2 Gig in a month and I consider myself a heavy user. Go ahead and file a complaint with the FCC and they will see a bunch of customers that aren't happy with the contract they signed. I'm so tired of people not reading what they are signing and then want to complain later!! Just because you didn't read it doesn't mean it is unfair.
Message 10 of 56 (10,731 Views)
ACE - Professor

I've been using iOS5 since it was released. There was no change in data use.

So, as others have stated you can either decide that $30 for 3GB or $50 for 5GB, and $10 per GB after is what you need, because you regularly need access to unlimited speed access - not FREE unlimited, but unlimited.

Or, you can stay with your current plan, where you will have unlimited data usage, but the speed will be insufficent for high-bandwidth uses (as you said, you can check email - surf, read news - no video though. Others have claimed and it seems likely that low quality audio streaming (32kbit) would still work as well.

Or, you can decide you need to go to a different carrier with much the same restrictions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 56 (10,645 Views)

Though that may be a high amnt of data for myself, I'm not one to preach about how much is reasonable for others to use. I was throttled @2.1 gb so, consider yourself lucky you made it that far. I hate it too :'( 

I would recommend apps like dataman that help monitor usage in real-time (not like at&ts app)...

Message 12 of 56 (10,612 Views)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

I've been using iOS5 since it was released. There was no change in data use.

Like you, I adopted iOS 5 when it came out, and I havent seen an increase in my data usage either. 
I don't know about you, but I haven't signed-up for the iTunes Match service.  I took a look at what iTunes Match had to offer, and I determined that the biggest benefit it offered came at a cost that I wasn't quite willing to "pay".  In order to store all my music in the cloud, I would have to download much of it just to play it.  I thought about it and decided, I could keep my 256kbit MP3 files and be happy with syncing to my iPhone and not having to use any of my data bandwidth just to play a song.  Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 13 of 56 (10,601 Views)
ACE - Professor

GeekBoy wrote:
Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Yep, iCloud, iTunes match, and any number of other services are available that can and will use cellular data. The customer is responsible for understanding that data use.

Message 14 of 56 (10,595 Views)

Yeah, there are a couple of default options in iOS5 (Automatic Downloads over cellular data) that can cause usage to increase dramatically.

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:
Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Yep, iCloud, iTunes match, and any number of other services are available that can and will use cellular data. The customer is responsible for understanding that data use.

Message 15 of 56 (10,589 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.