Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 28, 2011
12:56:12 AM
View profile
I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.
I am so frustrated. I have used 5.5 gigs of data and got throttled today and now my phone is useless. I can basically only make calls and check e-mail. I accepted my speed being decreased but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I didn't expect my speed to be killed off completely.

I called ATT and they offered me a 4 gig tiered plan. Here's the catch. I will have to pay for going over my data even if I was unlimited since I'll be changing.

REALLY?! Is there a higher department we can contact besides Customer support? This isn't right. I have an iPhone 4s that basically doesn't work.
I am so frustrated. I have used 5.5 gigs of data and got throttled today and now my phone is useless. I can basically only make calls and check e-mail. I accepted my speed being decreased but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I didn't expect my speed to be killed off completely.

I called ATT and they offered me a 4 gig tiered plan. Here's the catch. I will have to pay for going over my data even if I was unlimited since I'll be changing.

REALLY?! Is there a higher department we can contact besides Customer support? This isn't right. I have an iPhone 4s that basically doesn't work.

I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

55 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(55)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 5:48:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You'll need to decide if using that much data is critical for your phone use or not, and if so, if you can afford to pay the extra $10 per GB every month. Either that, or limit your phone to non-video streaming when off wifi.

The only choices are:

* switch to metered plan

* self-limit use

* switch to different carrier (Sprint is the only choice left for unlimited data, and who knows for how long)

You'll need to decide if using that much data is critical for your phone use or not, and if so, if you can afford to pay the extra $10 per GB every month. Either that, or limit your phone to non-video streaming when off wifi.

The only choices are:

* switch to metered plan

* self-limit use

* switch to different carrier (Sprint is the only choice left for unlimited data, and who knows for how long)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

2 of 56 (11,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 6:46:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

5.5 gigs of data is a large amount of data. I constantly stream music with different apps and I have only gone over 2 gigs one time in the 2+ years that I have had an iPhone. I really don't understand what you could be doing that would use that much data. If you are sitting somewhere watching movies, you should probably find a hotspot to hop on wifi. With the number of free options that are available, it shouldn't be that hard.

If you are doing something else besides heavy movie watching, please post your usage because I am interested to know exactly how someone uses that much data in a month.

5.5 gigs of data is a large amount of data. I constantly stream music with different apps and I have only gone over 2 gigs one time in the 2+ years that I have had an iPhone. I really don't understand what you could be doing that would use that much data. If you are sitting somewhere watching movies, you should probably find a hotspot to hop on wifi. With the number of free options that are available, it shouldn't be that hard.

If you are doing something else besides heavy movie watching, please post your usage because I am interested to know exactly how someone uses that much data in a month.

3 of 56 (11,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 10:19:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

browski wrote:

Ditto.  I'm at work all day and check my email and a few times a week stream Pandora throughout the day on 3G but I think I have only gone over 1GB once in the 2.5 years Ive had an iPhone (I have the grandfathered unlimited plan too btw).  When I'm at home I'm always on Wi-Fi....I think last month, after just getting the 4S I only used ~500MB.  I'm curious on how people rack up such large amounts of data... 

browski wrote:

Ditto.  I'm at work all day and check my email and a few times a week stream Pandora throughout the day on 3G but I think I have only gone over 1GB once in the 2.5 years Ive had an iPhone (I have the grandfathered unlimited plan too btw).  When I'm at home I'm always on Wi-Fi....I think last month, after just getting the 4S I only used ~500MB.  I'm curious on how people rack up such large amounts of data... 

4 of 56 (10,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 10:57:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ok, so I checked my bill and noticed my data went to the roof after the release of iOS5. I called ATT and they agreed that since Oct, my date usage has been high. They told me to turn off iCloud (it already is) but could not remove the speed cap.

Here's my problem. You buy an iPhone and it does what is advertises and then when it does, there's a limit to "unlimited" and you get punished by ATT giving you snail-moving internet speeds. It's not fair.
Ok, so I checked my bill and noticed my data went to the roof after the release of iOS5. I called ATT and they agreed that since Oct, my date usage has been high. They told me to turn off iCloud (it already is) but could not remove the speed cap.

Here's my problem. You buy an iPhone and it does what is advertises and then when it does, there's a limit to "unlimited" and you get punished by ATT giving you snail-moving internet speeds. It's not fair.

5 of 56 (10,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 11:14:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

iCloud backup only runs when the phone is locked, plugged in and on WiFi.  My device does it every night (1.1GB)  It has not once shown up on my billing statement, 5 days into my current period I've used 48.55MB.  I plug my phone in everynight.  Are you using iTunes Match?  If you don't want limits go to Sprint, they are the only true unlimited left.  Right or wrong they (ATT) are giving you an unlimited amount of data, you just get the end of it at a reduced speed.  I have the unlimited data plan and dont have any problems....

iCloud backup only runs when the phone is locked, plugged in and on WiFi.  My device does it every night (1.1GB)  It has not once shown up on my billing statement, 5 days into my current period I've used 48.55MB.  I plug my phone in everynight.  Are you using iTunes Match?  If you don't want limits go to Sprint, they are the only true unlimited left.  Right or wrong they (ATT) are giving you an unlimited amount of data, you just get the end of it at a reduced speed.  I have the unlimited data plan and dont have any problems....

6 of 56 (10,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 5:29:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

I can understand your frustration t/s, but I and another person in here admit to streaming a good bit of music and we both have the same iOS 5 that you are using. There has to be something else that is going on. Try turning off push notifications (this will save battery as well) and see if that helps.

In addition, you still have the ability to use as much data as you want per month. You will be throttled, so the speed might not be what you expect, but you still have the ability to use data on the network. The unlimited plan just gives you the ability to use as much data as you want, it says nothing about the speed at which you are able to receive the data.

I'm sure it is irritating, but AT&T is doing nothing that is not allowed in the TOS. Unfortunately, all of the nationwide services with good data speeds are moving in this direction. You have to decide whether unlimited data or unthrottled data is more important to you. Depending on that decision, you will either suffer slow speeds after a certain amount of data usage or you will be forced to pay for the speedy download of the excess data you use.

I can understand your frustration t/s, but I and another person in here admit to streaming a good bit of music and we both have the same iOS 5 that you are using. There has to be something else that is going on. Try turning off push notifications (this will save battery as well) and see if that helps.

In addition, you still have the ability to use as much data as you want per month. You will be throttled, so the speed might not be what you expect, but you still have the ability to use data on the network. The unlimited plan just gives you the ability to use as much data as you want, it says nothing about the speed at which you are able to receive the data.

I'm sure it is irritating, but AT&T is doing nothing that is not allowed in the TOS. Unfortunately, all of the nationwide services with good data speeds are moving in this direction. You have to decide whether unlimited data or unthrottled data is more important to you. Depending on that decision, you will either suffer slow speeds after a certain amount of data usage or you will be forced to pay for the speedy download of the excess data you use.

7 of 56 (10,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 8:59:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 18, 2012 at 9:31:54 PM

There IS a higher authority. AT&T is demonstrating bad faith in regards to our unlimited data contract. By throttling bandwidth, they are limiting data usage. Whether they claim to be in the right due to fine print is immaterial. They are in breach of contract. Go to the FCC's website to file a formal complaint like I did. No court will stand by such blatant theft of bandwidth, especially given all we pay for it. Do not give up your contract or sign a new one... AT&T is simply disgusting.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

There IS a higher authority. AT&T is demonstrating bad faith in regards to our unlimited data contract. By throttling bandwidth, they are limiting data usage. Whether they claim to be in the right due to fine print is immaterial. They are in breach of contract. Go to the FCC's website to file a formal complaint like I did. No court will stand by such blatant theft of bandwidth, especially given all we pay for it. Do not give up your contract or sign a new one... AT&T is simply disgusting.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

[ Edited ]
8 of 56 (10,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 9:21:08 PM
(0)
Guru

If you go into your Store setting, you can turn off "Use Cellular Data" under Automatic Downloads. That means if you want to listen to music you have stored in iCloud, you'll either have to have already downloaded it to your phone or you'll have to hop on wifi to pull it down. That should cut down on the amount of data you're using.

Unfortunately, you are stuck for the remainder of your billing period.

lll1424 wrote:

If you go into your Store setting, you can turn off "Use Cellular Data" under Automatic Downloads. That means if you want to listen to music you have stored in iCloud, you'll either have to have already downloaded it to your phone or you'll have to hop on wifi to pull it down. That should cut down on the amount of data you're using.

Unfortunately, you are stuck for the remainder of your billing period.

lll1424 wrote:

9 of 56 (10,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 6:03:43 AM
(0)
Guru

lll1424 wrote:

5.5 Gig???? That is a ton of data and you are not done with your billing cycle? You have to be doing something you shouldn't be. I have 5 iphones on iOS 5 and only use around 2 Gig in a month and I consider myself a heavy user. Go ahead and file a complaint with the FCC and they will see a bunch of customers that aren't happy with the contract they signed. I'm so tired of people not reading what they are signing and then want to complain later!! Just because you didn't read it doesn't mean it is unfair.

lll1424 wrote:

5.5 Gig???? That is a ton of data and you are not done with your billing cycle? You have to be doing something you shouldn't be. I have 5 iphones on iOS 5 and only use around 2 Gig in a month and I consider myself a heavy user. Go ahead and file a complaint with the FCC and they will see a bunch of customers that aren't happy with the contract they signed. I'm so tired of people not reading what they are signing and then want to complain later!! Just because you didn't read it doesn't mean it is unfair.

10 of 56 (10,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 6:22:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I've been using iOS5 since it was released. There was no change in data use.

So, as others have stated you can either decide that $30 for 3GB or $50 for 5GB, and $10 per GB after is what you need, because you regularly need access to unlimited speed access - not FREE unlimited, but unlimited.

Or, you can stay with your current plan, where you will have unlimited data usage, but the speed will be insufficent for high-bandwidth uses (as you said, you can check email - surf, read news - no video though. Others have claimed and it seems likely that low quality audio streaming (32kbit) would still work as well.

Or, you can decide you need to go to a different carrier with much the same restrictions.

So, as others have stated you can either decide that $30 for 3GB or $50 for 5GB, and $10 per GB after is what you need, because you regularly need access to unlimited speed access - not FREE unlimited, but unlimited.

Or, you can stay with your current plan, where you will have unlimited data usage, but the speed will be insufficent for high-bandwidth uses (as you said, you can check email - surf, read news - no video though. Others have claimed and it seems likely that low quality audio streaming (32kbit) would still work as well.

Or, you can decide you need to go to a different carrier with much the same restrictions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 56 (10,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 5:14:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

Though that may be a high amnt of data for myself, I'm not one to preach about how much is reasonable for others to use. I was throttled @2.1 gb so, consider yourself lucky you made it that far. I hate it too :'( 

I would recommend apps like dataman that help monitor usage in real-time (not like at&ts app)...

Though that may be a high amnt of data for myself, I'm not one to preach about how much is reasonable for others to use. I was throttled @2.1 gb so, consider yourself lucky you made it that far. I hate it too :'( 

I would recommend apps like dataman that help monitor usage in real-time (not like at&ts app)...

12 of 56 (10,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 7:17:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

Like you, I adopted iOS 5 when it came out, and I havent seen an increase in my data usage either. 
I don't know about you, but I haven't signed-up for the iTunes Match service.  I took a look at what iTunes Match had to offer, and I determined that the biggest benefit it offered came at a cost that I wasn't quite willing to "pay".  In order to store all my music in the cloud, I would have to download much of it just to play it.  I thought about it and decided, I could keep my 256kbit MP3 files and be happy with syncing to my iPhone and not having to use any of my data bandwidth just to play a song.  Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

johninsj wrote:

Like you, I adopted iOS 5 when it came out, and I havent seen an increase in my data usage either. 
I don't know about you, but I haven't signed-up for the iTunes Match service.  I took a look at what iTunes Match had to offer, and I determined that the biggest benefit it offered came at a cost that I wasn't quite willing to "pay".  In order to store all my music in the cloud, I would have to download much of it just to play it.  I thought about it and decided, I could keep my 256kbit MP3 files and be happy with syncing to my iPhone and not having to use any of my data bandwidth just to play a song.  Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

13 of 56 (10,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 8:25:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

GeekBoy wrote:
Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Yep, iCloud, iTunes match, and any number of other services are available that can and will use cellular data. The customer is responsible for understanding that data use.

GeekBoy wrote:
Perhaps it's things like this that other people overlook when their usage suddenly skyrockets...

Yep, iCloud, iTunes match, and any number of other services are available that can and will use cellular data. The customer is responsible for understanding that data use.

14 of 56 (10,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 9:30:43 PM
(0)
Guru

Yeah, there are a couple of default options in iOS5 (Automatic Downloads over cellular data) that can cause usage to increase dramatically.

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Yeah, there are a couple of default options in iOS5 (Automatic Downloads over cellular data) that can cause usage to increase dramatically.

johninsj wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

15 of 56 (10,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 12:23:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
You think that there was something in the contract when we got unlimited data well there wasn't 6 years ago when I got it. It was to load web pages an not go over the cap back then keeping it safe so my bill would be manageable. An then it was way over paying for peace of mind. So I don't want here AT&T wining about the fact that they couldn't for see that people would use the tech that they sell an offer. Now they a slapping people in the face and trying bait a switch your account again like the did with Cingular. Do you all remember when they tried make you pay a new start up fee when the merged together. That was a joke just like this sham there pulling now.
You think that there was something in the contract when we got unlimited data well there wasn't 6 years ago when I got it. It was to load web pages an not go over the cap back then keeping it safe so my bill would be manageable. An then it was way over paying for peace of mind. So I don't want here AT&T wining about the fact that they couldn't for see that people would use the tech that they sell an offer. Now they a slapping people in the face and trying bait a switch your account again like the did with Cingular. Do you all remember when they tried make you pay a new start up fee when the merged together. That was a joke just like this sham there pulling now.

16 of 56 (10,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 1:48:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am a victim of throttling too. This is true cheating from at&t. The fact is they just can't handle the explosive smartphone/3G tab growth. And what else is easier and cheaper for them than losing the top 5% of data users and continue to tell the 95% and the rest of the world about the faked "unlimited" data plan.

The term "unlimited" is purely fake and implausible from at&t. Walmart-TMobile $30 plan seems to be the cheapest for what it offers. BUT WAIT...

Don't let these folks go if their original intention is to smoke out top 5% (who knows) data users like us and continue to fake an "unlimited" plan. I just filed a complaint with FCC after reading through posts like this. Its a pretty simple form - only needs your name, address, phone no., carrier name and type in your Complaint. Thats it.

Only when many consumers express a concern, the authorities will feel the urge to really dig into what is going on. Because at&t is not the only "fake" dude around, which keeps them busy.

I am a victim of throttling too. This is true cheating from at&t. The fact is they just can't handle the explosive smartphone/3G tab growth. And what else is easier and cheaper for them than losing the top 5% of data users and continue to tell the 95% and the rest of the world about the faked "unlimited" data plan.

The term "unlimited" is purely fake and implausible from at&t. Walmart-TMobile $30 plan seems to be the cheapest for what it offers. BUT WAIT...

Don't let these folks go if their original intention is to smoke out top 5% (who knows) data users like us and continue to fake an "unlimited" plan. I just filed a complaint with FCC after reading through posts like this. Its a pretty simple form - only needs your name, address, phone no., carrier name and type in your Complaint. Thats it.

Only when many consumers express a concern, the authorities will feel the urge to really dig into what is going on. Because at&t is not the only "fake" dude around, which keeps them busy.

17 of 56 (10,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 5:55:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

This only impacts those on a grandfathered plan that isn't offered or advertised since before the iPhone4.

The terms on that plan can change at any time, you have no contract for the data plan, only the voice plan.

This only impacts those on a grandfathered plan that isn't offered or advertised since before the iPhone4.

The terms on that plan can change at any time, you have no contract for the data plan, only the voice plan.

18 of 56 (10,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 10:40:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

/bumb

I've now used 10.2 GB on At&t and they're throttling me.

any ideas to get them to stop?

/bumb

I've now used 10.2 GB on At&t and they're throttling me.

any ideas to get them to stop?

19 of 56 (7,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 11:12:33 AM
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by drumn_bass on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:17:49 AM

Hi jjadkisson,

The only way you can get "them" to stop it by using less data. You will be throttled after 3GB on 3G or 5GB on LTE.

d.

Hi jjadkisson,

The only way you can get "them" to stop it by using less data. You will be throttled after 3GB on 3G or 5GB on LTE.

d.

[ Edited ]
20 of 56 (7,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 1:34:40 PM
(0)
Former Employee

drumn_bass wrote:

Hi jjadkisson,

d.

Or switch to a tiered data plan or mobile share. None of those plans are throttled.

drumn_bass wrote:

Hi jjadkisson,

d.

Or switch to a tiered data plan or mobile share. None of those plans are throttled.

21 of 56 (7,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 7:42:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Wrong!!!!

I am also on the unlimited plan and last time I checked trying to force you into a different plan when you've been paying for unlimited the  plan is unethical and probably illegal. Don't be complaisant  and let AT&T bully you into a new plan. Complain to the FCC. And keep complaining to AT&T. 

Wrong!!!!

I am also on the unlimited plan and last time I checked trying to force you into a different plan when you've been paying for unlimited the  plan is unethical and probably illegal. Don't be complaisant  and let AT&T bully you into a new plan. Complain to the FCC. And keep complaining to AT&T. 

22 of 56 (7,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 12:28:55 PM
(0)
Expert

mike_dallas wrote:

Wrong!!!!

they are not trying to "force you" to a different plan, they are enforcing terms of service and fair use policies that have been in effect since the plan was introduced. Well within their rights, works both ways on the discountinued plan.

There is a pretty good chance that soon the plan will be sunseted anyway, maybe the way Verizon is getting rid of their discontinued unlimited data - have the plan and want to get a subsidized phone - then switch to the shared data plan, want to keep the discontinued unlimited plan they pay full retail price for the phone and you can keep it.

The discontnued plan needs to be sunsetted and removed from service completly, just like they did when they removed the ability to have a smartphone with no data plan back in 2009 - get rid of the device that the feature was on, the flag for no data is removed. They need to do the same thing with this feature, it would stop a lot of the complaints.

Live with it, unlimited data plans are going away, the throttling of the discontinued plan will not go away. either self- police your usage and keep it below the triggers of 3GB fo 3GS and 5GB for LTE or get throttled.

mike_dallas wrote:

Wrong!!!!

they are not trying to "force you" to a different plan, they are enforcing terms of service and fair use policies that have been in effect since the plan was introduced. Well within their rights, works both ways on the discountinued plan.

There is a pretty good chance that soon the plan will be sunseted anyway, maybe the way Verizon is getting rid of their discontinued unlimited data - have the plan and want to get a subsidized phone - then switch to the shared data plan, want to keep the discontinued unlimited plan they pay full retail price for the phone and you can keep it.

The discontnued plan needs to be sunsetted and removed from service completly, just like they did when they removed the ability to have a smartphone with no data plan back in 2009 - get rid of the device that the feature was on, the flag for no data is removed. They need to do the same thing with this feature, it would stop a lot of the complaints.

Live with it, unlimited data plans are going away, the throttling of the discontinued plan will not go away. either self- police your usage and keep it below the triggers of 3GB fo 3GS and 5GB for LTE or get throttled.

23 of 56 (7,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 3:37:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

either self- police your usage and keep it below the triggers of 3GB fo 3GS and 5GB for LTE or get throttled.

... or switch to a metered or shared data plan which doesn't have throttling, but you pay for your usage.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

wingrider01 wrote:

either self- police your usage and keep it below the triggers of 3GB fo 3GS and 5GB for LTE or get throttled.

... or switch to a metered or shared data plan which doesn't have throttling, but you pay for your usage.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

24 of 56 (7,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 10:03:09 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on May 16, 2013 at 10:03:55 AM

I consider myself a pretty heavy user. I use the maps app just about every day (I'm in real estate, so I'm always driving to different properties), plus I'm constantly surfing the web, texting, emailing and sending and receiving pictures, etc. I regularly run my battery down I do these things so much so much on the fly. Obviously, I use WiFi too, when I'm home, at the office or its otherwise available.

28 days into my cycle my usage is less than 500 MB. Actually, I won't even hit 500 because, to be exact, its at 442 MB right now.

Personally, I can't fathom what someone would have to do in order to use 5GB of cellular data in one month.

I consider myself a pretty heavy user. I use the maps app just about every day (I'm in real estate, so I'm always driving to different properties), plus I'm constantly surfing the web, texting, emailing and sending and receiving pictures, etc. I regularly run my battery down I do these things so much so much on the fly. Obviously, I use WiFi too, when I'm home, at the office or its otherwise available.

28 days into my cycle my usage is less than 500 MB. Actually, I won't even hit 500 because, to be exact, its at 442 MB right now.

Personally, I can't fathom what someone would have to do in order to use 5GB of cellular data in one month.

[ Edited ]
25 of 56 (7,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 10:37:10 AM
(0)
Former Employee

SLIKRICK wrote:

Streaming video and/or downloading video files (like movies from Itunes) is the only thing I can think of that would burn that much data in a month.

SLIKRICK wrote:

Streaming video and/or downloading video files (like movies from Itunes) is the only thing I can think of that would burn that much data in a month.

26 of 56 (7,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2013 8:44:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SLIKRICK wrote:

Well, I took my wife off to a seminar one day and waited there for her.  I took a short nap, then I played a few games, then I watched 2-3 hours of Netflix (using cellular data on an iPhone 4) and I managed to use about 1.2GB that entire month.  I know that when Apple first released their "Podcasts" app, I had it set to use cellular data, and I managed to use about 1.8GB in a month because the app would download new podcast episodes while I was driving (rather than queue them up off-line when it was connected to wifi).  I guess I'm saying that streaming any kind of media is an easy way to use large amounts of data.  I hate to think what iTunes Match would do to data usage....

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

SLIKRICK wrote:

Well, I took my wife off to a seminar one day and waited there for her.  I took a short nap, then I played a few games, then I watched 2-3 hours of Netflix (using cellular data on an iPhone 4) and I managed to use about 1.2GB that entire month.  I know that when Apple first released their "Podcasts" app, I had it set to use cellular data, and I managed to use about 1.8GB in a month because the app would download new podcast episodes while I was driving (rather than queue them up off-line when it was connected to wifi).  I guess I'm saying that streaming any kind of media is an easy way to use large amounts of data.  I hate to think what iTunes Match would do to data usage....

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

27 of 56 (7,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2013 8:48:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
Did you know on iMessage you use over 1mg pee text? Pandora radio uses data. Games use data. It adds up if you watch movies too. And if you start ayoutube clip and only watch some of it, a lot of times you've already loaded the whole thing.
Did you know on iMessage you use over 1mg pee text? Pandora radio uses data. Games use data. It adds up if you watch movies too. And if you start ayoutube clip and only watch some of it, a lot of times you've already loaded the whole thing.

28 of 56 (6,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2013 3:55:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
You're saying a simple text message via imessage uses 1MB of data? Seems way high to me. If you're sending pictures, easily, but simple text? How did you determine this?
You're saying a simple text message via imessage uses 1MB of data? Seems way high to me. If you're sending pictures, easily, but simple text? How did you determine this?

29 of 56 (6,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 3:06:01 PM
(0)
Scholar
I have used 2.5 gigs in about 7 days
I have used 2.5 gigs in about 7 days

30 of 56 (6,556 Views)