I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

Professor

Re: I understand the speed throttle but this is UNACCEPTABLE.

I admit I love it too. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Message 46 of 56 (1,591 Views)

I finally switched when it became cheaper to have my iPhone and my iPad on a shared plan rather than keep the plans separate. Plus, the tethering capability is nice in an emergency. 

Message 47 of 56 (1,487 Views)
Professor

How much is it extra for the ipad share?
Message 48 of 56 (1,483 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

SLIKRICK wrote:
How much is it extra for the ipad share?

if they are speaking of Mobile share, the cost of a ipad is 10.00 a month, for smartphones the cost varies depending on the amount of data you decide to get, starts at 50.00 per phone with 300MB and the decreases from there with the larger amount of data you select down to a minimum of 30.00 per smartphone. You can put up to 10 devices on a shared data plan and it includes unlimited voice minutes and texting plus you can tether or hotspot with the plan

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/mobileshare.html

Message 49 of 56 (1,475 Views)
Professor

Cool. Good info. Thanks.
Message 50 of 56 (1,471 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "unlimited" language seems rather deceptive. The limit seems very clear, with a throttle trigger point at 5 gigabytes of usage.

Lets say running constantly at completely peak usage...

The 4G AT&Tnetwork can pipe 13.15 megabits per second into our devices (per their info).

13.15 megabits = 0.001647949 Gb

At full blast usage, it would consume the 5Gb in 3034.07447681937 seconds

That's about 51 minutes.

And the remainder of a month let's say is 29 days, 23 hours.

After they set the throttling, the pace of data I have seen is around 450 kbps.

The remainder of seconds left in a month would be 1,588,400.

1,588,400 x 450 kbps =  714,780,000 kilobits potentially used in the rest of the month which = .00001014655026674 Gb.

So generously speaking it seems their plan is essentially not unlimited but rather limited to 5Gb (5.00001014655026674Gb) per month.

How is that unlimited? It is a clear limit. It is limited. Maybe double check my math.

Message 51 of 56 (898 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unlimited volume, not speed.  Other truly "limited" plans stop your download completely, once you reach your stated limit.  Yours has unlimited download volume.

Message 52 of 56 (882 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

The choice is unlimited volume, throttled after 5GB, or packaged volume at network speed. Very simple to understand.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 53 of 56 (863 Views)

Can we stop beating this dead horse?! It's been explained time and time again what unlimited data means. It was also explained in your ToS that you probably didn't read, just signed like most do.
Message 54 of 56 (859 Views)
Scholar

dubd--since one can theoretically consume only a finite amount of data each and every single month...does it matter whether "unlimited" really means unlimited?  Think of it as sort of like an AYCE buffet--even if the restaurant starts to limit how much food you can bring back to your table each time you go for another round of food...ultimately you'll reach a limit of how much food you can digest in one sitting...not unless you claim to have a bottomless pit for a stomach.

Message 55 of 56 (848 Views)
ACE - Professor

juicy907couture wrote:
Can we stop beating this dead horse?

Sure, right after we stop beating the "Please unlock my iPhone, even though I was never a customer" rotting horse.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 56 of 56 (833 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.