I purchased an iPhone 5c for my daughter for Christmas. Now I'm scared to death about data usage.

Scholar

I purchased an iPhone 5c for my daughter for Christmas. Now I'm scared to death about data usage.

After reading through posts on this forum about iPhone data usage, i'm scared to death that her iPhone is going to break us. I don't know what to do?

Message 1 of 17 (1,399 Views)
Master

Re: I purchased an iPhone 5c for my daughter for Christmas. Now I'm scared to death about data usage

brainwaver wrote:
If you are trying to close apps out on the 5c it's a little different than the explanation above. Double click the home button and you will get a thumbnail of all your open apps. To close them you swipe your finger upward on each one. To scroll the list of open apps you swipe your finger to the left (or back to the right). Tap an app to open it back up.

My bad, I'm still running iOS 6 so I was not completely aware of the new process with iOS 7. 

Thanks for pointing that out! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 16 of 17 (1,111 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: I purchased an iPhone 5c for my daughter for Christmas. Now I'm scared to death about data usage

Hey,

For IOS 7, I have 4 reccomendations.

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh. Turn it off

Settings -> Privacy -> location services -> turn off except as needed (Gps)

Settings -> Cellular, turn off high usage apps, (this only disables them from working off of wifi)

[If she gets close,, she can turn off cellular data completly and not use anymore until the bill cycle resets]

Have her get 'My Data Manager' app for easy data tracking, or worst case get $4.99 smart limits to auto limit her when she uses too much (there's a delay, so set the usage limit early)

There's lots of steps to limit unwanted usage, keep track of intended usage, and limit it otherwise, ie preventing overages.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 17 (1,059 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.