I own a Windows Phone 8. Android or iPhone? Am I missing out?

Teacher

I own a Windows Phone 8. Android or iPhone? Am I missing out?

I bought a Nokia Lumia 920, which runs WP8. It is the first piece of electronic equipment I have owned that still appears on the front page of its manufacturer's website.

I opted for Lumia 920 due to past experience with the Nokia brand. I have owned other brands of "dumbphones", but Nokia's always seemed to work well for me. I chose this phone without any knowledge it was a flagship model. I say this merely to submit my understanding I own the best WP8 has to offer.

My question is this....what am I missing out on by not selecting an Android or iOS device? I know WP is a young platform. It seems to be distant third in the running. What can an an Android or iOS based device do that mine cannot? We don't have to explore flagship models here.

Message 1 of 9 (1,059 Views)
Employee

Re: I own a Windows Phone 8. Android or iPhone? Am I missing out?

[ Edited ]

Actually the Windows 8 phone is neither an Android or IOS. This is a stand alone Windows device.  The browser is Internet Explorer 10, Much like you would see Safari for iPhone. MicroSoft based the email is gmail/outlook(Microsoft)

Windows Phone 8 is the only operating system for smartphones reimagined to be a reflection of you and what you want from your devices. Beautiful, fast, and fluid, Windows Phone 8 gives you instant access to the people and things that are important to you, without having to go through unnecessary and complex layers of technology.

I can't say that you are missing out on anything. It is all a matter of personal preference as to the style, design and function you prefer. These phones are probably the best for customizing, where as Android is customizable, but not always the easiest to set the way you want. iPhone(ios) lacks the ability to provide the ability to customize.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9 (1,023 Views)
Teacher

That's the exact reason I always had an affinity for the Nokia brand. Streamlined functionality. Nokia smartphones running WP exclusively, seems to fit that philosophy.

I see very few people out there that have a Windows Phone. I know other companies make them. HTC has one and I think Samsung and LG make one as well.

When I went to the at&t store to select my first smartphone, I asked for the Nokia brand specifically, without any knowledge of what OS it ran. Now I find myself in a minority. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as my experience with device has been thoroughly enjoyable. Maybe that's all that really matters.

I guess my point is, would there be reason why we can't see more WP8 OS devices out there in the near future? Can it evolve to compete?
Message 3 of 9 (1,006 Views)
Teacher

And BTW...thanks for the response, AngelChat143.
Message 4 of 9 (1,004 Views)
Employee

Absolutely! Windows phones are great and can and do compete. However, all iPhones and Androids(Particularly S series devices) have huge followings. We as people tend to gravitate towards all that appears most popular. Take iPhone for example, year after year the new iPhone release comes and although when comparing to many other Brands/devices very little changes with each release. Still people will sleep in chairs outside of stores or stay up until 3am(est.) to be one of the first to order online. Devices like iPhone and Android are comfortable to most, and we all like our comfort zone. 

Although the new Nokia Lumia 1020 has jumped ahead of the competition when it comes to camera capabilities now boasting 41MP a better camera than the rest is not enough to pull people away from their comfort zone.

We will see Windows OS be a front running along side the front runners when they launch a device that has at least  "must have" features unmatched by competitors. 

I'm so glad you found my response helpful. Please feel free to add me and/or post and message me anytime with any Network/Device/Or General questions you have.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 9 (997 Views)
Teacher

I very glad you mentioned the 1020. I am an amateur photographer. The fact that Nokia has embraced high specification lenses for their phones is certainty innovative. I thought of buying one but I didn't want to carry around a $1000 device.
Message 6 of 9 (993 Views)
Employee

41MP is outstanding! Kudos Nokia. Definitely with a phone like the 1020 you want excellent protection and Mobile Insurance is a must. 

As an amateur photographer this phone in an absolute must. I am surprised your didn't give in. I watched a demonstration of its capabilities and was blown away. There are other Camera phones capable of shooting panoramic, but in the demonstration he wanted to take a picture so we could see what his kitchen/breakfast room looked like without having to send 8 different pictures from different angles. He snapped 8 shots from straight on angles, some angled up and down to include some of the ceiling and floor, along with some shots on his left and right. Then he was able to quickly and with ease take all those shots and let the Nokia making them into one shot by incorporating details from each photo he snapped to show depth and dimension it was unreal. Unless Windows comes out with something even better between now and your next upgrade this phone has your name on it.

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 9 (985 Views)
Teacher

I think I can visualize the type of shot you're describing, although I didn't see the demonstration. This is called image stitching in Photoshop. I believe the app you describe is available for my phone. Right now, as with any camera be it film or digital, I'm still trying to master the basic workflow in shooting. Haven't really had a chance to tinker with any sort of software rendering yet.

For right now I'm pretty satisfied. My 920 can hold it's own very well as a digital camera. I'll let the 1020 pass by for now without regret, though it's capabilities are appealing, imaging in particular. I'm eager to see the next innovation. I personally would like to see a true optical zoom and an adjustable aperture to have more depth-of-field flexibility inside the "camera". I must say though, low light and night shots are great at an f2.0.

Message 8 of 9 (959 Views)
Professor

If the Lumia 920 works well for you, I would say that you aren't missing anything.  Different platforms offer the same basic functions of calling, text messaging, email and internet capabilities.  The big differences in those areas is the user interface and how you get these things done.

iOS offers an easy-to-use interface that integrates well with other Apple products (iPad, iTunes, etc.).  Android offers an open platform that gives users many choices in customization and even the user interface of the phone.  Another poster seemed to think that the customization options with Android are similar to those offered with Windows Phone, but I totally disagree with this thought.  You could line up 10 people with the same model of Android phone and the phones could look nothing alike.  Customizing Windows Phone is limited to changing the tile color, size and arrangement.

Other differences will come down to app availability.  There are more apps available on iOS and Android than there are on Windows Phone.  You may be able to find apps that will do what you want on Windows Phone and use the browser for any apps that you can't find.  But when it comes to specific apps, developers tend to develop for the two most popular platforms first and Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 later, if at all.

These things may or may not matter to you.  Windows Phone is a good smartphone, especially for first-time smartphone owners.

Message 9 of 9 (759 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.