I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

Scholar

I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

I currently have the iPhone 4S that I've been very happy with but I want a bigger screen.  I know that Apple will be coming out with new models soon and may be going to a bigger screen but assuming it doesn't go to 5" I am considering going to the Samsung S4.  The S4 seems like a very nice phone but I'm nervous about switching to the Android system though.  Can anyone experienced with both systems and/or the S4 offer a comparison for me?  I'm also considering the forthcoming Note 3.

 
Thanks in advance... Bob

Message 1 of 43 (1,481 Views)
Scholar

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

Yep, the Apple seems unquestionably better but I still can't help thinking
about (drooling over) the new 5.7" Note3.

Bob
Message 16 of 43 (1,153 Views)

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

Honestly just IF you want just go to the AT&T store and Check them out in store. The Floor models are there for you to try out Smiley Happy I like IOS and Android for different reasons ( Currently have an Galaxy s4 but do own the latest ipod touch for ios as well ) but the only way to be sure is to actually try them out for a bit.
Message 17 of 43 (1,120 Views)

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.
Message 18 of 43 (1,104 Views)
Expert

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?


amylyn1970 wrote:
I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.

the 5 was large upgrade to the 4S was, the 5 got the following

 

1.2MP photos - 4/4s was vga
720p HD video - 4/4S was vga
Backside illumination sensor - not on the 4/4S

4-inch (diagonal) Retina display 

1136-by-640 resolution - 4/4s was 3.5 @ 960-by-640 resolution

1.3 GHZ processor - 4/4s was 0.8-1.0GHz (frequency scaling enabled)

PowerVR SGX543MP3 (triple core) - 4/4s was PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual core)

1GB DDR2 LP, 533MHz - 4/4s was 512MB DDR2 (LP), 400MHz

 

The worst part of the upgrade was the lighting connector, form the rumors (taken with a grain of salt) the 5S will have a different connector, some minor feature enhancments and a possible cheaper brother called the 5C - supposedly about a 100-150 cheaper but the case is all plastic for cost cutting.

 

Again pure speculation apple never opens their mouth officially until the official roll out.

Message 19 of 43 (1,090 Views)
Scholar

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

Yes you are correct about trying them out. I've been going to different
stores as I've been there so much I think some of them want to throw me out.

BTW: Am I correct in assuming that you like your s4?

Bob
Message 20 of 43 (1,093 Views)

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

[ Edited ]

Agunat wrote:
Yes you are correct about trying them out. I've been going to different
stores as I've been there so much I think some of them want to throw me out.

BTW: Am I correct in assuming that you like your s4?

Bob

I love my S4 and been using android phones since the galaxy s2 skyrocket and my last iphone was the iphone 4. While i like IOS and still use it in an ipod touch. Personally the best android option for a convert is probably the s4 or any samsung device.

 

 

They might get annoyed because you aren't' buying anything but just ignore them... buying a new phone every 2 years is signing away for 2 years and should take some research. If you do have an issue with them staring at you going to bestbuy is a better option since they are on a pretty decent size floor area and don't care as much

Message 21 of 43 (1,089 Views)
Master

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?


wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:
I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.

the 5 was large upgrade to the 4S was, the 5 got the following

 

1.2MP photos - 4/4s was vga
720p HD video - 4/4S was vga
Backside illumination sensor - not on the 4/4S

4-inch (diagonal) Retina display 

1136-by-640 resolution - 4/4s was 3.5 @ 960-by-640 resolution

1.3 GHZ processor - 4/4s was 0.8-1.0GHz (frequency scaling enabled)

PowerVR SGX543MP3 (triple core) - 4/4s was PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual core)

1GB DDR2 LP, 533MHz - 4/4s was 512MB DDR2 (LP), 400MHz

 

The worst part of the upgrade was the lighting connector, form the rumors (taken with a grain of salt) the 5S will have a different connector, some minor feature enhancments and a possible cheaper brother called the 5C - supposedly about a 100-150 cheaper but the case is all plastic for cost cutting.

 

Again pure speculation apple never opens their mouth officially until the official roll out.


I am glad they changed the connector this one has an affirmitive click when inserted and in either direction I might add

also the end does have a chip so this leaves possibilities for future additions to what it can do.

Now if they would just make it where it would use USB 3 speed so when you want to wipe and reload or change playlists it would do it rather quickly.

Message 22 of 43 (1,072 Views)

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

[ Edited ]

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:
I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.

the 5 was large upgrade to the 4S was, the 5 got the following

 

1.2MP photos - 4/4s was vga
720p HD video - 4/4S was vga
Backside illumination sensor - not on the 4/4S

4-inch (diagonal) Retina display 

1136-by-640 resolution - 4/4s was 3.5 @ 960-by-640 resolution

1.3 GHZ processor - 4/4s was 0.8-1.0GHz (frequency scaling enabled)

PowerVR SGX543MP3 (triple core) - 4/4s was PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual core)

1GB DDR2 LP, 533MHz - 4/4s was 512MB DDR2 (LP), 400MHz

 

The worst part of the upgrade was the lighting connector, form the rumors (taken with a grain of salt) the 5S will have a different connector, some minor feature enhancments and a possible cheaper brother called the 5C - supposedly about a 100-150 cheaper but the case is all plastic for cost cutting.

 

Again pure speculation apple never opens their mouth officially until the official roll out.


I am glad they changed the connector this one has an affirmitive click when inserted and in either direction I might add

also the end does have a chip so this leaves possibilities for future additions to what it can do.

Now if they would just make it where it would use USB 3 speed so when you want to wipe and reload or change playlists it would do it rather quickly.


If i ever go back to iphone ( i am always considering it because of intergration with products is much better) i will only take an iphone with the lightning port which is 10 times better then the old 30 pin connector 

 

I also think Apple will be the first one to adopt using USB 3.0

Message 23 of 43 (1,066 Views)
Scholar

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob
Message 24 of 43 (1,058 Views)

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?


Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob
Exactly!
Message 25 of 43 (1,050 Views)
Expert

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?


Closingracer wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:
I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.

the 5 was large upgrade to the 4S was, the 5 got the following

 

1.2MP photos - 4/4s was vga
720p HD video - 4/4S was vga
Backside illumination sensor - not on the 4/4S

4-inch (diagonal) Retina display 

1136-by-640 resolution - 4/4s was 3.5 @ 960-by-640 resolution

1.3 GHZ processor - 4/4s was 0.8-1.0GHz (frequency scaling enabled)

PowerVR SGX543MP3 (triple core) - 4/4s was PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual core)

1GB DDR2 LP, 533MHz - 4/4s was 512MB DDR2 (LP), 400MHz

 

The worst part of the upgrade was the lighting connector, form the rumors (taken with a grain of salt) the 5S will have a different connector, some minor feature enhancments and a possible cheaper brother called the 5C - supposedly about a 100-150 cheaper but the case is all plastic for cost cutting.

 

Again pure speculation apple never opens their mouth officially until the official roll out.


I am glad they changed the connector this one has an affirmitive click when inserted and in either direction I might add

also the end does have a chip so this leaves possibilities for future additions to what it can do.

Now if they would just make it where it would use USB 3 speed so when you want to wipe and reload or change playlists it would do it rather quickly.


If i ever go back to iphone ( i am always considering it because of intergration with products is much better) i will only take an iphone with the lightning port which is 10 times better then the old 30 pin connector 

 

I also think Apple will be the first one to adopt using USB 3.0


rumor has it - again rumor the lighting port is going away

Message 26 of 43 (1,031 Views)

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?


Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.

Message 27 of 43 (1,004 Views)
Expert

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?


Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.


not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.

Message 28 of 43 (996 Views)
Master

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

I can see it now the Note 4 will be the same size as an iPad Mini doubles as a snack tray at sporting events.

Message 29 of 43 (983 Views)
Scholar

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

You know, you may be on to something.

Bob
Message 30 of 43 (971 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.