Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Aug 13, 2013
2:26:03 PM
View profile
I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

I currently have the iPhone 4S that I've been very happy with but I want a bigger screen.  I know that Apple will be coming out with new models soon and may be going to a bigger screen but assuming it doesn't go to 5" I am considering going to the Samsung S4.  The S4 seems like a very nice phone but I'm nervous about switching to the Android system though.  Can anyone experienced with both systems and/or the S4 offer a comparison for me?  I'm also considering the forthcoming Note 3.

 
Thanks in advance... Bob

I currently have the iPhone 4S that I've been very happy with but I want a bigger screen.  I know that Apple will be coming out with new models soon and may be going to a bigger screen but assuming it doesn't go to 5" I am considering going to the Samsung S4.  The S4 seems like a very nice phone but I'm nervous about switching to the Android system though.  Can anyone experienced with both systems and/or the S4 offer a comparison for me?  I'm also considering the forthcoming Note 3.

 
Thanks in advance... Bob

I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

1,421 views
42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(42)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:47:40 PM
0
(0)
Expert

Agunat wrote:
You know, you may be on to something.

Bob

stumbled on a pre-release photo of the samsung Galaxy 6

 


Agunat wrote:
You know, you may be on to something.

Bob

stumbled on a pre-release photo of the samsung Galaxy 6

 

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

31 of 43 (560 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 11:36:35 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.


not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.


Well Given the topic of this particular Thread and stating I need a larger screen i assume that is what he is looking for


wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.


not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.


Well Given the topic of this particular Thread and stating I need a larger screen i assume that is what he is looking for

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

32 of 43 (543 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 8:02:44 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
Yes, I see your point. Then again anyone with my eyesight would prefer a
larger screen. On the other hand, I've lived with the iPhone for 4 years,
I guess I could continue a while longer if I had to. It's one of those
things that you never miss what you've never had. I didn't start out
looking for a larger screen, I just needed to borrow a friend's phone to
make a call, and the rest, as they say is history.

Bob
Yes, I see your point. Then again anyone with my eyesight would prefer a
larger screen. On the other hand, I've lived with the iPhone for 4 years,
I guess I could continue a while longer if I had to. It's one of those
things that you never miss what you've never had. I didn't start out
looking for a larger screen, I just needed to borrow a friend's phone to
make a call, and the rest, as they say is history.

Bob

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

33 of 43 (528 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 8:08:17 AM
0
(0)
Expert

Closingracer wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.


not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.


Well Given the topic of this particular Thread and stating I need a larger screen i assume that is what he is looking for


comments contrary to the subject matter do happen, I personally enjoy making fun of the larger and larger size of phones, manbags are becoming all the rage to carry those larger phones. They can go back to the bag phone for all I care, as long as they bring back the 5 watt transmit/recieve.


Closingracer wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.


not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.


Well Given the topic of this particular Thread and stating I need a larger screen i assume that is what he is looking for


comments contrary to the subject matter do happen, I personally enjoy making fun of the larger and larger size of phones, manbags are becoming all the rage to carry those larger phones. They can go back to the bag phone for all I care, as long as they bring back the 5 watt transmit/recieve.

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

34 of 43 (527 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:19:53 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
I've owned a few Android phones out of them were HTC and Sony Ericsson ones,
Never had a Samsung Android I hate the OS and the phones feel somewhat cheap
And plasticky!!!!

Had my iPhone 4S almost 2 years not once have I wanted to get rid of it unlike many other phones I've sold after 6 months lol

I've owned a few Android phones out of them were HTC and Sony Ericsson ones,
Never had a Samsung Android I hate the OS and the phones feel somewhat cheap
And plasticky!!!!

Had my iPhone 4S almost 2 years not once have I wanted to get rid of it unlike many other phones I've sold after 6 months lol

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

35 of 43 (458 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:28:32 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

I don't think apple well make there iphones screen any bigger.  Maybe someday. 

I don't think apple well make there iphones screen any bigger.  Maybe someday. 

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

36 of 43 (445 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 3:52:35 AM
0
(0)
Guru

BRIAN2 wrote:

I don't think apple well make there iphones screen any bigger.  Maybe someday. 


You know, after having the S4 Active I miss the size of the iPhone. You definitely can't text with one hand with the Active. Although the screen looks nice that size I really miss the size of the iPhone. I have small hands so the larger screen is kind of annoying sometimes.

BRIAN2 wrote:

I don't think apple well make there iphones screen any bigger.  Maybe someday. 


You know, after having the S4 Active I miss the size of the iPhone. You definitely can't text with one hand with the Active. Although the screen looks nice that size I really miss the size of the iPhone. I have small hands so the larger screen is kind of annoying sometimes.
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

37 of 43 (436 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 10:10:44 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
I was looking for Android maybe because of the screen size. After I
decided to stay with Apple I thought if I went from my 4S to the 5 or 5S at
least I'd get a little bigger screen. I doubt that I can resist the
temptation to upgrade (eligible in Sept.) but now I'm thinking the smart
thing to do is to hang on to my 4S and wait for iPhone 6 next year, surely
it will have a REAL screen. That way I would retain my eligibility for
next fall.

Bob
I was looking for Android maybe because of the screen size. After I
decided to stay with Apple I thought if I went from my 4S to the 5 or 5S at
least I'd get a little bigger screen. I doubt that I can resist the
temptation to upgrade (eligible in Sept.) but now I'm thinking the smart
thing to do is to hang on to my 4S and wait for iPhone 6 next year, surely
it will have a REAL screen. That way I would retain my eligibility for
next fall.

Bob

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

38 of 43 (413 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 2:17:47 PM
0
(0)
Expert

Agunat wrote:
I was looking for Android maybe because of the screen size. After I
decided to stay with Apple I thought if I went from my 4S to the 5 or 5S at
least I'd get a little bigger screen. I doubt that I can resist the
temptation to upgrade (eligible in Sept.) but now I'm thinking the smart
thing to do is to hang on to my 4S and wait for iPhone 6 next year, surely
it will have a REAL screen. That way I would retain my eligibility for
next fall.

Bob

the 5 is a bigger screen then the 4/4S, it is also HD capable. right now even the 5S and 5C are still rumors, until apple makes it public no one can state with any certainty when a new iphone will be released.

 

You always have the option of going to the ATT Next program, you pay full price for the phone with no down payyment over a period of 24 months, at the end of 12 months you can upgrade with the only requirement being that you return your current phone in good condition. There is no 2 year commitment, the only caveat is if you leave att before the phone is paid over you own the remaining balance on the phone


Agunat wrote:
I was looking for Android maybe because of the screen size. After I
decided to stay with Apple I thought if I went from my 4S to the 5 or 5S at
least I'd get a little bigger screen. I doubt that I can resist the
temptation to upgrade (eligible in Sept.) but now I'm thinking the smart
thing to do is to hang on to my 4S and wait for iPhone 6 next year, surely
it will have a REAL screen. That way I would retain my eligibility for
next fall.

Bob

the 5 is a bigger screen then the 4/4S, it is also HD capable. right now even the 5S and 5C are still rumors, until apple makes it public no one can state with any certainty when a new iphone will be released.

 

You always have the option of going to the ATT Next program, you pay full price for the phone with no down payyment over a period of 24 months, at the end of 12 months you can upgrade with the only requirement being that you return your current phone in good condition. There is no 2 year commitment, the only caveat is if you leave att before the phone is paid over you own the remaining balance on the phone

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

39 of 43 (398 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 2:22:37 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

Agunat wrote:
I was looking for Android maybe because of the screen size. After I
decided to stay with Apple I thought if I went from my 4S to the 5 or 5S at
least I'd get a little bigger screen. I doubt that I can resist the
temptation to upgrade (eligible in Sept.) but now I'm thinking the smart
thing to do is to hang on to my 4S and wait for iPhone 6 next year, surely
it will have a REAL screen. That way I would retain my eligibility for
next fall.

Bob

I think that's a smart decision. Judging by iPhone models released in the past, I would assume that the next iPhone model will be an "in-between" model instead of totally redesigned. That means it probably will not have a larger screen until next year. That's just my assumption, though. No one really knows for certain.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy




Agunat wrote:
I was looking for Android maybe because of the screen size. After I
decided to stay with Apple I thought if I went from my 4S to the 5 or 5S at
least I'd get a little bigger screen. I doubt that I can resist the
temptation to upgrade (eligible in Sept.) but now I'm thinking the smart
thing to do is to hang on to my 4S and wait for iPhone 6 next year, surely
it will have a REAL screen. That way I would retain my eligibility for
next fall.

Bob

I think that's a smart decision. Judging by iPhone models released in the past, I would assume that the next iPhone model will be an "in-between" model instead of totally redesigned. That means it probably will not have a larger screen until next year. That's just my assumption, though. No one really knows for certain.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:



Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

40 of 43 (394 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 3:26:25 PM
0
(0)
Master

I am surprised Apple does not run commercials showing their iPhone 5 mirroring to a 55inch or larger screen TV using an Apple TV3 I do this on occasions when I am to lazy to pick up the iPad or MacBook Pro from the other room.

May not help people on the go but it works great at home.

I am surprised Apple does not run commercials showing their iPhone 5 mirroring to a 55inch or larger screen TV using an Apple TV3 I do this on occasions when I am to lazy to pick up the iPad or MacBook Pro from the other room.

May not help people on the go but it works great at home.

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

41 of 43 (379 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 6:49:44 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
I think when all is said and done I'll probably upgrade to either the 5 or
5S if there's a significant difference (probably not). HOWEVER the smart
move would be to hang on to my 4S for another year and stay upgrade
eligible. It's hard to imagine Apple coming out with an iPhone 6 without a
significantly bigger screen. They may even add a whole new phone ala the
Samsung Note.

Bob
I think when all is said and done I'll probably upgrade to either the 5 or
5S if there's a significant difference (probably not). HOWEVER the smart
move would be to hang on to my 4S for another year and stay upgrade
eligible. It's hard to imagine Apple coming out with an iPhone 6 without a
significantly bigger screen. They may even add a whole new phone ala the
Samsung Note.

Bob

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

42 of 43 (362 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 9:06:52 PM
0
(0)
Master

I doubt Apple will ever introduce a phone the size of the Note they have the iPad Mini for that now.

I doubt Apple will ever introduce a phone the size of the Note they have the iPad Mini for that now.

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

43 of 43 (354 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Share this post
Share this post