Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 13, 2013
2:26:03 PM
View profile
I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

I currently have the iPhone 4S that I've been very happy with but I want a bigger screen.  I know that Apple will be coming out with new models soon and may be going to a bigger screen but assuming it doesn't go to 5" I am considering going to the Samsung S4.  The S4 seems like a very nice phone but I'm nervous about switching to the Android system though.  Can anyone experienced with both systems and/or the S4 offer a comparison for me?  I'm also considering the forthcoming Note 3.

Thanks in advance... Bob

I currently have the iPhone 4S that I've been very happy with but I want a bigger screen.  I know that Apple will be coming out with new models soon and may be going to a bigger screen but assuming it doesn't go to 5" I am considering going to the Samsung S4.  The S4 seems like a very nice phone but I'm nervous about switching to the Android system though.  Can anyone experienced with both systems and/or the S4 offer a comparison for me?  I'm also considering the forthcoming Note 3.

Thanks in advance... Bob

I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(42)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 4:15:55 PM
(0)
Expert

Agunat wrote:

Thanks in advance... Bob

I carry a sprint android I absolutely hate it. the majority of the apps that I used where not available and the ones that where available were a ghost of the Apple version. Apple is not my first choice, but it is ahead of android.

Agunat wrote:

Thanks in advance... Bob

I carry a sprint android I absolutely hate it. the majority of the apps that I used where not available and the ones that where available were a ghost of the Apple version. Apple is not my first choice, but it is ahead of android.

Re: I need a larger screen, might Android be the answer?

2 of 43 (1,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 6:24:52 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Here is a good article comparing iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and Samsung Galaxy S4: here.

Also, some nice videos in this link.

Have fun, I used iPhones, Galaxy S models and Galaxy Note... they're all nice, I still prefer iPhone.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Here is a good article comparing iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and Samsung Galaxy S4: here.

Also, some nice videos in this link.

Have fun, I used iPhones, Galaxy S models and Galaxy Note... they're all nice, I still prefer iPhone.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 43 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 8:17:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the link.  I'd give anything if that comparison could also include both the iPhone 5S and the Samsung Note 3.

Bob

Thanks for the link.  I'd give anything if that comparison could also include both the iPhone 5S and the Samsung Note 3.

Bob

4 of 43 (1,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 10:56:19 PM
(0)
Master

One thing I noticed in public unless you are a big person those large phones look comical held up to small heads and make sure you can put the phone in an out of your pocket without incident seen a few hit the floor.

One thing I noticed in public unless you are a big person those large phones look comical held up to small heads and make sure you can put the phone in an out of your pocket without incident seen a few hit the floor.

5 of 43 (1,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 8:48:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

What reasons led you to prefer the iPhone if I might ask?

Thanks... Bob

What reasons led you to prefer the iPhone if I might ask?

Thanks... Bob

6 of 43 (1,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 11:42:53 AM
(0)
Master

If that was directed to me its because I use an iPad,iPod and MacBook Pro and they all integrate seemlessly and besides I had great luck with my last two iPhones and ease of use is a plus, build quality and most important customer support and finally it does all I need it to do ( There Is An App For That).

If that was directed to me its because I use an iPad,iPod and MacBook Pro and they all integrate seemlessly and besides I had great luck with my last two iPhones and ease of use is a plus, build quality and most important customer support and finally it does all I need it to do ( There Is An App For That).

7 of 43 (1,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 6:53:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I was in your situation a few months ago when the Galaxy S4 was first released. I currently have an iPhone 4 and I truly enjoy using it very much. Before I got my iPhone, I had an Android phone (original Samsung Galaxy S Captivate) running 2.2 FroYo with the option to update to 2.3 Gingerbread.

From my experience, the Android OS does not compare to iOS. The biggest thing I liked was the ability to customize my phone however I wanted (live wallpapers, widgets, etc.) But the biggest thing that turned me off was the SLOW, laggy responses to basic functions! The phone would freeze constantly and apps would take forever to load and then force close. I'm not saying that doesn't happen on iPhones, but it's usually much faster to respond and recover. Some people say that "Android has come a long way since 2.2", but I personally don't think so. They said that lag has become much improved to the point where it is barely noticeable anymore, but I have not found that to be the case. I played with an S4 in the Best Buy Mobile store and I could definitely notice some lag, which immediately turned me off from the phone.

From my experience, iOS and iPhones are the most reliable phones on the market. I pay retail price for my phones and I wouldn't trust getting a new S4 fearing that it might start to have issues that would eventually render the phone useless. Samsung phones are fairly reliable, but when it all boils down, I'd rather be able to make a phone call than control my TV with my S4.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I was in your situation a few months ago when the Galaxy S4 was first released. I currently have an iPhone 4 and I truly enjoy using it very much. Before I got my iPhone, I had an Android phone (original Samsung Galaxy S Captivate) running 2.2 FroYo with the option to update to 2.3 Gingerbread.

From my experience, the Android OS does not compare to iOS. The biggest thing I liked was the ability to customize my phone however I wanted (live wallpapers, widgets, etc.) But the biggest thing that turned me off was the SLOW, laggy responses to basic functions! The phone would freeze constantly and apps would take forever to load and then force close. I'm not saying that doesn't happen on iPhones, but it's usually much faster to respond and recover. Some people say that "Android has come a long way since 2.2", but I personally don't think so. They said that lag has become much improved to the point where it is barely noticeable anymore, but I have not found that to be the case. I played with an S4 in the Best Buy Mobile store and I could definitely notice some lag, which immediately turned me off from the phone.

From my experience, iOS and iPhones are the most reliable phones on the market. I pay retail price for my phones and I wouldn't trust getting a new S4 fearing that it might start to have issues that would eventually render the phone useless. Samsung phones are fairly reliable, but when it all boils down, I'd rather be able to make a phone call than control my TV with my S4.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 43 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 8:33:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Okay. You guys convinced me. I'll stay iOS. Maybe the 5 or 5S at least
I'll get a little bigger screen.

Bob

Bob

9 of 43 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 4:44:28 AM
(0)
Guru
Yes, please stay with the iPhone. I never learn. Tried switching to different Android phones & always came back to the iPhone because Android is just too buggy. IOS just plain works! Well, I did it again & got the Samsung S4 Active because of the water resistance. I've only had it for 2 weeks & I hate it already. When I restart the phone, 9 times out of 10 it gets stuck on the AT&T logo & it takes me 4-6 times of trying to restart it before it actually restarts. Texting is horrible. I have minimal coverage at my house and have never had problems with sending pics or anything with my iPhone. Well, the S4 Active is horrible. Pics won't send & texts always fail & I have to resend them. I'm so frustrated. I miss my iPhone. Stupid me sold it when I got the Active. Good thing one of the lines on my family plan is due for an upgrade because I am definitely getting the new iPhone when it comes out. I always say I'm not straying again and this time I truly mean it. I really miss my iPhone!!!!!
Yes, please stay with the iPhone. I never learn. Tried switching to different Android phones & always came back to the iPhone because Android is just too buggy. IOS just plain works! Well, I did it again & got the Samsung S4 Active because of the water resistance. I've only had it for 2 weeks & I hate it already. When I restart the phone, 9 times out of 10 it gets stuck on the AT&T logo & it takes me 4-6 times of trying to restart it before it actually restarts. Texting is horrible. I have minimal coverage at my house and have never had problems with sending pics or anything with my iPhone. Well, the S4 Active is horrible. Pics won't send & texts always fail & I have to resend them. I'm so frustrated. I miss my iPhone. Stupid me sold it when I got the Active. Good thing one of the lines on my family plan is due for an upgrade because I am definitely getting the new iPhone when it comes out. I always say I'm not straying again and this time I truly mean it. I really miss my iPhone!!!!!
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

10 of 43 (1,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 4:46:49 AM
(0)
Guru

Agunat wrote:

Bob
I would wait for the 5S since it's suppose to come out next month. It'll have better features than the 5 & will be worth the wait. That's what I'm going to do. I hate waiting, but I know Id kick myself if I didn't.

Agunat wrote:

Bob
I would wait for the 5S since it's suppose to come out next month. It'll have better features than the 5 & will be worth the wait. That's what I'm going to do. I hate waiting, but I know Id kick myself if I didn't.
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

11 of 43 (1,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:07:41 AM
(0)
Expert

amylyn1970 wrote:

Agunat wrote:

Bob

again the nothing but rumors, the majority is leaning towards minor enhancements and a 5C that will be cheaper and made out of plastic. Until apple releases the information everything shuld be taken with a grain of salt.

Wonder when the "can I get a early upgrade" threads are going to start.

amylyn1970 wrote:

Agunat wrote:

Bob

again the nothing but rumors, the majority is leaning towards minor enhancements and a 5C that will be cheaper and made out of plastic. Until apple releases the information everything shuld be taken with a grain of salt.

Wonder when the "can I get a early upgrade" threads are going to start.

12 of 43 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:37:16 AM
(0)
Guru
I'd still wait for it to come out if you can hold out. You'd be kicking yourself if it comes out & has better features. Just saying. :-)
I'd still wait for it to come out if you can hold out. You'd be kicking yourself if it comes out & has better features. Just saying. :-)

13 of 43 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:53:19 AM
(0)
Master

One thing is for sure with Apple you will not know what they will introduce until they want you to and so many people get the predictions wrong so far rumor has it a Keynote Sept. 10th we will all know or at least those of us that watch Keynotes.

One thing is for sure with Apple you will not know what they will introduce until they want you to and so many people get the predictions wrong so far rumor has it a Keynote Sept. 10th we will all know or at least those of us that watch Keynotes.

14 of 43 (1,147 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 12:05:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Agunat wrote:

Bob

Great. I think you are making a good decision. Hopefully the next generation iPhone will be something that you're looking for! Apple should seriously consider revamping the phone, design wise (not complaining) and feature wise, just to freshen it up a bit. Some people think there's not enough differentiation between the 4S and 5. 

Back in the day, we were lucky to have 2" screens! Now we're wanting 4" and 5" screens and larger!  Smiley LOL

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Agunat wrote:

Bob

Great. I think you are making a good decision. Hopefully the next generation iPhone will be something that you're looking for! Apple should seriously consider revamping the phone, design wise (not complaining) and feature wise, just to freshen it up a bit. Some people think there's not enough differentiation between the 4S and 5. 

Back in the day, we were lucky to have 2" screens! Now we're wanting 4" and 5" screens and larger!  Smiley LOL

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 43 (1,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 12:37:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yep, the Apple seems unquestionably better but I still can't help thinking
about (drooling over) the new 5.7" Note3.

Bob
Yep, the Apple seems unquestionably better but I still can't help thinking
about (drooling over) the new 5.7" Note3.

Bob

16 of 43 (1,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:59:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Honestly just IF you want just go to the AT&T store and Check them out in store. The Floor models are there for you to try out Smiley Happy I like IOS and Android for different reasons ( Currently have an Galaxy s4 but do own the latest ipod touch for ios as well ) but the only way to be sure is to actually try them out for a bit.
Honestly just IF you want just go to the AT&T store and Check them out in store. The Floor models are there for you to try out Smiley Happy I like IOS and Android for different reasons ( Currently have an Galaxy s4 but do own the latest ipod touch for ios as well ) but the only way to be sure is to actually try them out for a bit.

17 of 43 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 4:29:57 AM
(0)
Guru
I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.
I wasn't really impressed with the iPhone 5 since it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S. Hopefully the 5S or whatever they're gonna call it is better than the 5. Regardless, I'm going to upgrade to it. I'm ready to throw my Active out the window. I've had so many message send failures this morning that I'm now going to work in a really awful mood & I'm always in a good mood on Friday. Thanks Android!! I miss my iPhone! I shouldn't have sold it! Kicking myself real hard right now.

18 of 43 (1,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:40:42 AM
(0)
Expert

amylyn1970 wrote:

the 5 was large upgrade to the 4S was, the 5 got the following

1.2MP photos - 4/4s was vga
720p HD video - 4/4S was vga
Backside illumination sensor - not on the 4/4S

4-inch (diagonal) Retina display 

1136-by-640 resolution - 4/4s was 3.5 @ 960-by-640 resolution

1.3 GHZ processor - 4/4s was 0.8-1.0GHz (frequency scaling enabled)

PowerVR SGX543MP3 (triple core) - 4/4s was PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual core)

1GB DDR2 LP, 533MHz - 4/4s was 512MB DDR2 (LP), 400MHz

The worst part of the upgrade was the lighting connector, form the rumors (taken with a grain of salt) the 5S will have a different connector, some minor feature enhancments and a possible cheaper brother called the 5C - supposedly about a 100-150 cheaper but the case is all plastic for cost cutting.

Again pure speculation apple never opens their mouth officially until the official roll out.

amylyn1970 wrote:

The worst part of the upgrade was the lighting connector, form the rumors (taken with a grain of salt) the 5S will have a different connector, some minor feature enhancments and a possible cheaper brother called the 5C - supposedly about a 100-150 cheaper but the case is all plastic for cost cutting.

Again pure speculation apple never opens their mouth officially until the official roll out.

19 of 43 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:47:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yes you are correct about trying them out. I've been going to different
stores as I've been there so much I think some of them want to throw me out.

BTW: Am I correct in assuming that you like your s4?

Bob

Bob

20 of 43 (1,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 7:01:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Closingracer on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:05:36 AM

Agunat wrote:

Bob

I love my S4 and been using android phones since the galaxy s2 skyrocket and my last iphone was the iphone 4. While i like IOS and still use it in an ipod touch. Personally the best android option for a convert is probably the s4 or any samsung device.

They might get annoyed because you aren't' buying anything but just ignore them... buying a new phone every 2 years is signing away for 2 years and should take some research. If you do have an issue with them staring at you going to bestbuy is a better option since they are on a pretty decent size floor area and don't care as much

Agunat wrote:

Bob

I love my S4 and been using android phones since the galaxy s2 skyrocket and my last iphone was the iphone 4. While i like IOS and still use it in an ipod touch. Personally the best android option for a convert is probably the s4 or any samsung device.

They might get annoyed because you aren't' buying anything but just ignore them... buying a new phone every 2 years is signing away for 2 years and should take some research. If you do have an issue with them staring at you going to bestbuy is a better option since they are on a pretty decent size floor area and don't care as much

[ Edited ]
21 of 43 (1,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 7:43:11 AM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

I am glad they changed the connector this one has an affirmitive click when inserted and in either direction I might add

also the end does have a chip so this leaves possibilities for future additions to what it can do.

Now if they would just make it where it would use USB 3 speed so when you want to wipe and reload or change playlists it would do it rather quickly.

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

I am glad they changed the connector this one has an affirmitive click when inserted and in either direction I might add

also the end does have a chip so this leaves possibilities for future additions to what it can do.

Now if they would just make it where it would use USB 3 speed so when you want to wipe and reload or change playlists it would do it rather quickly.

22 of 43 (1,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 8:24:25 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Closingracer on Aug 16, 2013 at 8:25:07 AM

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

If i ever go back to iphone ( i am always considering it because of intergration with products is much better) i will only take an iphone with the lightning port which is 10 times better then the old 30 pin connector 

I also think Apple will be the first one to adopt using USB 3.0

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

If i ever go back to iphone ( i am always considering it because of intergration with products is much better) i will only take an iphone with the lightning port which is 10 times better then the old 30 pin connector 

[ Edited ]
23 of 43 (1,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 8:34:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ah yes. Why can't they put the S4 (and Note 3) size and features into
Apple quality.

Bob
Apple quality.

Bob

24 of 43 (1,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 9:04:09 AM
(0)
Guru

Agunat wrote:
Apple quality.

Bob
Exactly!

Agunat wrote:
Apple quality.

Bob
Exactly!

25 of 43 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 9:29:35 AM
(0)
Expert

Closingracer wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

rumor has it - again rumor the lighting port is going away

Closingracer wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

rumor has it - again rumor the lighting port is going away

26 of 43 (990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 12:10:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

Agunat wrote:
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.

Agunat wrote:
Apple quality.

Bob

Well if you want more of a Build quality similar to Apple the HTC one is a great device to try out because it has a premium build to it. While the S4 and note 3 ( they haven't broke the trend so i will assume) is plastic build while not as great build quality as iphone 5 or the HTC one doesn't feel cheap.

27 of 43 (963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 12:30:21 PM
(0)
Expert

Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Apple quality.

Bob

not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.

Closingracer wrote:

Agunat wrote:
Apple quality.

Bob

not everybody thinks bigger is better, can't count the number of times I have seen someone sit down with their oversived phone in their pocket and hear a crack.. when the screen breaks. The first device manufacturer that makes a cell phone the size of my Doxa diving watch will have my business to the end of my days.

28 of 43 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 4:27:53 PM
(0)
Master

I can see it now the Note 4 will be the same size as an iPad Mini doubles as a snack tray at sporting events.

I can see it now the Note 4 will be the same size as an iPad Mini doubles as a snack tray at sporting events.

29 of 43 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:38:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
You know, you may be on to something.

Bob
You know, you may be on to something.

Bob

30 of 43 (930 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments