Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 8, 2013
9:45:51 AM
I can't buy a no-contract phone

I am an existing customer and I am off contract, I would like to get a smartphone that with the non-contract pricing, but it won't let me.  Why?

Every time I try to buy it, it will ask me if I am a new customer or existing.  As an existing customer, my only options are to "add a line" or "upgrade."  

If I "upgrade" the system won't let me get the no-contract pricing.  Why?  Can I not pay full price and get no-contract pricing as an existing customer?

It seems my only other option is to buy the phone at full retail price straight from the manufacturer.  It seems silly.  I would think that ATT would want me to buy from them.

Am I doing something wrong? 

I am an existing customer and I am off contract, I would like to get a smartphone that with the non-contract pricing, but it won't let me.  Why?

Every time I try to buy it, it will ask me if I am a new customer or existing.  As an existing customer, my only options are to "add a line" or "upgrade."  

If I "upgrade" the system won't let me get the no-contract pricing.  Why?  Can I not pay full price and get no-contract pricing as an existing customer?

It seems my only other option is to buy the phone at full retail price straight from the manufacturer.  It seems silly.  I would think that ATT would want me to buy from them.

Am I doing something wrong? 

I can't buy a no-contract phone

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 9:57:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
When you are in the online account manager, at the top click "Shop - Wireless", on the next page under the phones, click the "View All Phones" link. On the next page - under "Filter by contract length - click the No Annual Contract. then you can choose the no contract phone.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
When you are in the online account manager, at the top click "Shop - Wireless", on the next page under the phones, click the "View All Phones" link. On the next page - under "Filter by contract length - click the No Annual Contract. then you can choose the no contract phone.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I can't buy a no-contract phone

2 of 14 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 10:07:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

I've tried that (even just tried it again to make sure) and it won't let me.  It keeps asking me new customer or to add a line or upgrade.  

If it has worked for you, it certainty isn't working for me.

I've tried that (even just tried it again to make sure) and it won't let me.  It keeps asking me new customer or to add a line or upgrade.  

3 of 14 (806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 10:32:02 AM
(0)
Expert

cellnewbie09 wrote:

best bet then is go into a corporate retail outlet, if you are looking at a unlocked Iphone you need to go to an apple retail outlet, att does not sell unlocked iphones, if you are looking for a unlocked android you need to buy from the manufacter or a 3rd party that sells unlocked devices

cellnewbie09 wrote:

best bet then is go into a corporate retail outlet, if you are looking at a unlocked Iphone you need to go to an apple retail outlet, att does not sell unlocked iphones, if you are looking for a unlocked android you need to buy from the manufacter or a 3rd party that sells unlocked devices

4 of 14 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 2:13:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Select the upgrade option.  Once you select the upgrade option, the option for no-commitment will be there.

Select the upgrade option.  Once you select the upgrade option, the option for no-commitment will be there.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (772 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 5:09:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've tried that too.  But once I click the "upgrade" option, it redirects me to my Premier account page and the only options I have there are to upgrade with a 2 year contract or to purchase with At&t Next.  There is no option to purchase with the no-contract price.

I'm not sure what to do, other than just to purchase directly from the manufacturer (Motorola).

I've tried that too.  But once I click the "upgrade" option, it redirects me to my Premier account page and the only options I have there are to upgrade with a 2 year contract or to purchase with At&t Next.  There is no option to purchase with the no-contract price.

I'm not sure what to do, other than just to purchase directly from the manufacturer (Motorola).

6 of 14 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 9:01:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I can't log in to my account to try to guide you because I'm not eligible for an upgrade now, so my only option is the no-commitment price on phones other than iPhones. 

If you want the Moto X, there is an offer for a $150 discount from Motorola tomorrow (12/9).  Check Motorola's website for details.  The discount codes go fast if you are interested in the deal.

I can't log in to my account to try to guide you because I'm not eligible for an upgrade now, so my only option is the no-commitment price on phones other than iPhones. 

If you want the Moto X, there is an offer for a $150 discount from Motorola tomorrow (12/9).  Check Motorola's website for details.  The discount codes go fast if you are interested in the deal.

7 of 14 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:01:34 AM
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by sandblaster on Dec 9, 2013 at 9:04:41 AM

cellnewbie09 wrote:

AT&T Next is the no-contract price option. The main difference is that you will pay for the phone in monthly installments rather than all at once plus you will have the option of swapping for a new phone in 12 months. You are not under contract for service so if you decide to cancel, then you pay the balance for the phone.

cellnewbie09 wrote:

AT&T Next is the no-contract price option. The main difference is that you will pay for the phone in monthly installments rather than all at once plus you will have the option of swapping for a new phone in 12 months. You are not under contract for service so if you decide to cancel, then you pay the balance for the phone.

[ Edited ]
8 of 14 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 10:10:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sandblaster, are you saying that the no-commitment option will no longer be available for those who are out of contract?

Sandblaster, are you saying that the no-commitment option will no longer be available for those who are out of contract?

9 of 14 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 1:18:56 PM
(0)
Former Employee

21stNow wrote:

I don't know for sure but I suspect the no-commitment option is no longer available. I just processed an upgrade last week and my only options were 2 year contract and AT&T Next. the AT&T Next option is essentially the no-commitment option as far as a service contract is concerned. The only thing you are committing to with AT&T Next is paying full price for the phone since you can cancel service at any time and there are no ETF fees. If you cancel service, the only thing you owe is whatever you still owe for the phone.

21stNow wrote:

I don't know for sure but I suspect the no-commitment option is no longer available. I just processed an upgrade last week and my only options were 2 year contract and AT&T Next. the AT&T Next option is essentially the no-commitment option as far as a service contract is concerned. The only thing you are committing to with AT&T Next is paying full price for the phone since you can cancel service at any time and there are no ETF fees. If you cancel service, the only thing you owe is whatever you still owe for the phone.

10 of 14 (706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 3:13:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

I didn't see the $150 discount, but on moto's website, it is $30 cheaper than buying from at&t and I get to customize my phone, so I'm buying directly from motorola.

I didn't see the $150 discount, but on moto's website, it is $30 cheaper than buying from at&t and I get to customize my phone, so I'm buying directly from motorola.

11 of 14 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 3:26:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by cellnewbie09 on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:28:20 PM

I'd much rather buy at the no-contract option. At&t Next isn't my cup of tea.

If the no-contract/no-commitment pricing is no longer available, then this would be a direct contradiction from what At&t released in their Press Release when they were building up this new program.

According to their Press Release  "AT&T offers a broad choice of device purchasing options. In addition to AT&T Next, customers continue to have their choice of all current options, including getting a discounted device with a two-year service commitment; paying full retail price for a device with no-commitment; getting a partial discount for an early upgrade after six months with a two-year service commitment; or bringing their own compatible device."

I tried so many times and different ways (including contact customer service) to try and order from At&t at the no-commitment price, and no dice.  A bit of false advertising.

Press Release Link: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24538&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36749&mapcode=financial|mobile-d...

I'd much rather buy at the no-contract option. At&t Next isn't my cup of tea.

If the no-contract/no-commitment pricing is no longer available, then this would be a direct contradiction from what At&t released in their Press Release when they were building up this new program.

According to their Press Release  "AT&T offers a broad choice of device purchasing options. In addition to AT&T Next, customers continue to have their choice of all current options, including getting a discounted device with a two-year service commitment; paying full retail price for a device with no-commitment; getting a partial discount for an early upgrade after six months with a two-year service commitment; or bringing their own compatible device."

I tried so many times and different ways (including contact customer service) to try and order from At&t at the no-commitment price, and no dice.  A bit of false advertising.

Press Release Link: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24538&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36749&mapcode=financial|mobile-devices

[ Edited ]
12 of 14 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 3:40:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The promo was gone within 15 minutes.  You had to be logged in at 12 noon EST in order to take advantage of it.

The promo was gone within 15 minutes.  You had to be logged in at 12 noon EST in order to take advantage of it.

13 of 14 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 11:04:26 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:10:59 AM

Hey cellnewbie09,

The press release you mentioned is from July, prior to the recent changes in ATT next.

No commitment pricing should still be available, it may now be only available through certain sources.

With ATT Next, you can request to finish paying that immediately at any point. ATT Next is basically the no commitment pricing, offered to split up over couple years, with the option to pay that immediately at any time.. It's the no commitment pricing defaulted to over time, but that can be changed.

That combined with the fact, almost everyone would be more comfortable paying it over time instead of upfront. I can see why the no commitment pricing was decided redundant.

-Alex

Hey cellnewbie09,

The press release you mentioned is from July, prior to the recent changes in ATT next.

No commitment pricing should still be available, it may now be only available through certain sources.

With ATT Next, you can request to finish paying that immediately at any point. ATT Next is basically the no commitment pricing, offered to split up over couple years, with the option to pay that immediately at any time.. It's the no commitment pricing defaulted to over time, but that can be changed.

That combined with the fact, almost everyone would be more comfortable paying it over time instead of upfront. I can see why the no commitment pricing was decided redundant.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
14 of 14 (667 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments