Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 17, 2012
10:56:02 AM
View profile
I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 11:42:55 AM
(0)
Guru

We have no way of knowing whether it would work on AT&T's network without knowing more about the phone. AT&T runs both GSM & UTMS/WCDMA on the 850 & 1900MHz bands. If your phone supports GSM in both those bands, it'll work on AT&T. If it supports UMTS/WCDMA on those bands, then you'll get 3G service. If it supports one but not both of those bands, you'll get some reception but it may be spotty, since AT&T operates on both bands.

We have no way of knowing whether it would work on AT&T's network without knowing more about the phone. AT&T runs both GSM & UTMS/WCDMA on the 850 & 1900MHz bands. If your phone supports GSM in both those bands, it'll work on AT&T. If it supports UMTS/WCDMA on those bands, then you'll get 3G service. If it supports one but not both of those bands, you'll get some reception but it may be spotty, since AT&T operates on both bands.

Re: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

2 of 8 (12,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 1:25:14 AM
(0)
Employee
With it bring Japanese I know it should have the 2100mhz radio, not sure about the others though which you will need
With it bring Japanese I know it should have the 2100mhz radio, not sure about the others though which you will need
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (12,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2012 8:01:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thx for answering my question!

The phone I used it said it only works on WCDMA, as you said at&t supports UMTS/WCDMA.

So if I buy a at&t 3G sim card, will it work? thx again!!

The phone I used it said it only works on WCDMA, as you said at&t supports UMTS/WCDMA.

4 of 8 (12,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2012 7:23:19 PM
(0)
Master

jimmy203 wrote:

Again we do not know.  Yes ATT supports that but on the 850/1900mhz bands.  Does you phone work on these frequencies?  ATT does not have 2100Mhz.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

jimmy203 wrote:

Again we do not know.  Yes ATT supports that but on the 850/1900mhz bands.  Does you phone work on these frequencies?  ATT does not have 2100Mhz.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 8 (12,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2013 6:17:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cosmolee on Jun 7, 2013 at 9:41:05 PM

I'm considering a phone that supports 2G on 850/1900.  Its specs only state support for 3G on 1700/2100.  The vendor is telling me that because it operates on the 850/1900 frequencies, and AT&T transmits both 2G and 3G over those frequencies, I can expect it to support 3G on AT&T.  Is this true?  

Does a phone spec have to specifically state that it supports 3G over specific bands, or can one infer that a phone whose specs show 850/1900 (2G) and capability to support 3G (but not explicitly stated on 850/1900), that it will therefore support 3G on the 850/1900 bands?

BTW, the phone in question is the THL W100.

Thanks!

I'm considering a phone that supports 2G on 850/1900.  Its specs only state support for 3G on 1700/2100.  The vendor is telling me that because it operates on the 850/1900 frequencies, and AT&T transmits both 2G and 3G over those frequencies, I can expect it to support 3G on AT&T.  Is this true?  

Does a phone spec have to specifically state that it supports 3G over specific bands, or can one infer that a phone whose specs show 850/1900 (2G) and capability to support 3G (but not explicitly stated on 850/1900), that it will therefore support 3G on the 850/1900 bands?

BTW, the phone in question is the THL W100.

Thanks!

Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (7,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 3:37:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

FYI, the THL W100 DOES support 3G, HSPA+, in fact, on the AT&T network.  I had no luck on T-Mobile, but thumbs up on the AT&T network.

FYI, the THL W100 DOES support 3G, HSPA+, in fact, on the AT&T network.  I had no luck on T-Mobile, but thumbs up on the AT&T network.

Re: Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

7 of 8 (6,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 12:30:36 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hey cosmolee I'm interested in what you think about the w100 - I sent you a pm!
Hey cosmolee I'm interested in what you think about the w100 - I sent you a pm!

Re: Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

8 of 8 (5,476 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments