I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

Contributor

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 8

Re: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

We have no way of knowing whether it would work on AT&T's network without knowing more about the phone. AT&T runs both GSM & UTMS/WCDMA on the 850 & 1900MHz bands. If your phone supports GSM in both those bands, it'll work on AT&T. If it supports UMTS/WCDMA on those bands, then you'll get 3G service. If it supports one but not both of those bands, you'll get some reception but it may be spotty, since AT&T operates on both bands.

Message 2 of 8
Employee

With it bring Japanese I know it should have the 2100mhz radio, not sure about the others though which you will need
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

Thx for answering my question!

The phone I used it said it only works on WCDMA, as you said at&t supports UMTS/WCDMA.

So if I buy a at&t 3G sim card, will it work? thx again!!

Message 4 of 8
Master

jimmy203 wrote:

Thx for answering my question!

The phone I used it said it only works on WCDMA, as you said at&t supports UMTS/WCDMA.

So if I buy a at&t 3G sim card, will it work? thx again!!

Again we do not know.  Yes ATT supports that but on the 850/1900mhz bands.  Does you phone work on these frequencies?  ATT does not have 2100Mhz.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

I'm considering a phone that supports 2G on 850/1900.  Its specs only state support for 3G on 1700/2100.  The vendor is telling me that because it operates on the 850/1900 frequencies, and AT&T transmits both 2G and 3G over those frequencies, I can expect it to support 3G on AT&T.  Is this true?  

Does a phone spec have to specifically state that it supports 3G over specific bands, or can one infer that a phone whose specs show 850/1900 (2G) and capability to support 3G (but not explicitly stated on 850/1900), that it will therefore support 3G on the 850/1900 bands?

BTW, the phone in question is the THL W100.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Re: Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

FYI, the THL W100 DOES support 3G, HSPA+, in fact, on the AT&T network.  I had no luck on T-Mobile, but thumbs up on the AT&T network.

Message 7 of 8
Contributor

Re: Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

Hey cosmolee I'm interested in what you think about the w100 - I sent you a pm!
Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support