I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

Contributor

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 8 (12,328 Views)

Re: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

We have no way of knowing whether it would work on AT&T's network without knowing more about the phone. AT&T runs both GSM & UTMS/WCDMA on the 850 & 1900MHz bands. If your phone supports GSM in both those bands, it'll work on AT&T. If it supports UMTS/WCDMA on those bands, then you'll get 3G service. If it supports one but not both of those bands, you'll get some reception but it may be spotty, since AT&T operates on both bands.

Message 2 of 8 (12,319 Views)
Employee

With it bring Japanese I know it should have the 2100mhz radio, not sure about the others though which you will need
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8 (12,295 Views)
Contributor

Thx for answering my question!

The phone I used it said it only works on WCDMA, as you said at&t supports UMTS/WCDMA.

So if I buy a at&t 3G sim card, will it work? thx again!!

Message 4 of 8 (12,224 Views)
Master

jimmy203 wrote:

Thx for answering my question!

The phone I used it said it only works on WCDMA, as you said at&t supports UMTS/WCDMA.

So if I buy a at&t 3G sim card, will it work? thx again!!

Again we do not know.  Yes ATT supports that but on the 850/1900mhz bands.  Does you phone work on these frequencies?  ATT does not have 2100Mhz.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 8 (12,210 Views)
Contributor

Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

[ Edited ]

I'm considering a phone that supports 2G on 850/1900.  Its specs only state support for 3G on 1700/2100.  The vendor is telling me that because it operates on the 850/1900 frequencies, and AT&T transmits both 2G and 3G over those frequencies, I can expect it to support 3G on AT&T.  Is this true?  

Does a phone spec have to specifically state that it supports 3G over specific bands, or can one infer that a phone whose specs show 850/1900 (2G) and capability to support 3G (but not explicitly stated on 850/1900), that it will therefore support 3G on the 850/1900 bands?

BTW, the phone in question is the THL W100.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8 (7,870 Views)
Contributor

Re: Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

FYI, the THL W100 DOES support 3G, HSPA+, in fact, on the AT&T network.  I had no luck on T-Mobile, but thumbs up on the AT&T network.

Message 7 of 8 (6,499 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Related: I am using a W-CDMA Japanese Phone, does at&t's network support it?

Hey cosmolee I'm interested in what you think about the w100 - I sent you a pm!
Message 8 of 8 (5,495 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.