I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

Contributor

I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

I noticed today that AT&T is billing me for iMessage texts even though they don't go through their system the same way.  I've learned from others that the same thing is happening to them.  Is this an error or is AT&T actually billing for this even though we are told they don't?

Message 1 of 25 (62,831 Views)
Contributor

Re: I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

Hi there-- This same thing is happening to my husband and me. We got iphone 4s's in December, and our first bill had us being charged for imessages, as if they were text messages (showing up in my AT&T bill under text messages, counting towards my 200 messages, and then being billed additionally at $.10). Those were in fact imessages, because they are blue (NOT green) and even say imessage.We have all of our imessage settings set correctly, and we are running on OS 5 or higher. However in 6 calls to AT&T and 3 cases being opened about this problem, their only conclusion all three times was I must be wrong or colorblind and illiterate, that there was no way they could be imessages. My husband and I are on the same account, and they could see we both have iphone 4s's and they could see that we both were getting charged for texting each other, but they just couldn't comprehend that this could be happenning with imessages. They even tried contacting apple support with no luck. I switched my settings to not send as a text message when imessages don't go through, and it seems, fingers crossed, that this is working.

This was incredibly frustrating, and I'd like info from anyone about how they were able to convince AT&T that this was a genuine problem they were having, and what the solution may be. I have a feeling that this problem is not over, so I would love that information if anyone has it.

Message 16 of 25 (54,832 Views)
ACE - Master

jbaber wrote:

Hi there-- This same thing is happening to my husband and me. We got iphone 4s's in December, and our first bill had us being charged for imessages, as if they were text messages (showing up in my AT&T bill under text messages, counting towards my 200 messages, and then being billed additionally at $.10). Those were in fact imessages, because they are blue (NOT green) and even say imessage.We have all of our imessage settings set correctly, and we are running on OS 5 or higher. However in 6 calls to AT&T and 3 cases being opened about this problem, their only conclusion all three times was I must be wrong or colorblind and illiterate, that there was no way they could be imessages. My husband and I are on the same account, and they could see we both have iphone 4s's and they could see that we both were getting charged for texting each other, but they just couldn't comprehend that this could be happenning with imessages. They even tried contacting apple support with no luck. I switched my settings to not send as a text message when imessages don't go through, and it seems, fingers crossed, that this is working.

This was incredibly frustrating, and I'd like info from anyone about how they were able to convince AT&T that this was a genuine problem they were having, and what the solution may be. I have a feeling that this problem is not over, so I would love that information if anyone has it.

Don't rule out the possibility that the problem is with iMessage. My wife and I both have iPhones and I have sent texts to her that initially showed as having been sent via iMessage (blue) but later turned to green. There are also times when after sending a text and it shows as blue, sometimes I will also see "delivered" under the blue bubble and sometimes I won't. I am fairly convinced that just because the bubble is blue, that does not always mean it got delivered via iMessage. Based on my observation, I believe that as long as you have the "send as SMS" option turned on, it will revert to SMS immediately if iMessage delivery is not verified but may or may not turn the bubble green. Now that you have turned off the setting to send as SMS when iMessage does not work you should be OK but in my opinion, I think there is a strong possibility that all those messages on your bill actually were delivered via SMS and not iMessage.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 25 (54,819 Views)
Contributor

Hmmm. Both AT&T and Apple said that if the message was still blue (it was, a month later... no, I don't erase anythingSmiley Happy) then it was an imessage and should not be charged as such.

Message 18 of 25 (54,817 Views)
Contributor

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "imessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an imessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being completed unless it indeed is received as an imessage? (Side note, about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as imessages, so I know the recipient is able to receive and send. They are friends and family.) Thank you.

Message 19 of 25 (40,583 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

jdbright-124 wrote:

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "imessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an imessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being completed unless it indeed is received as an imessage? (Side note, about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as imessages, so I know the recipient is able to receive and send. They are friends and family.) Thank you.

turn of send as sms - but the additional results will if it cannot send it as imessage due to the apples servers the person will not recieve your message at all. Imessage is sent as data

Message 20 of 25 (40,552 Views)
Mentor

If it says delivered, it could mean that someone doesn't have their return receipts turned on, when the box is blue.

Message 21 of 25 (40,003 Views)

We have Iphone 4 and Iphone 5 at home. Send as SMS is turned off on both phones.

When i send iMessage to my spouse, it goes as a text message. After half an hour, it converts itself into a iMessage. AT&T bills me for the text message.

I don't want to get billed for the text message.

Please help

Message 22 of 25 (36,776 Views)
Contributor

In my experience this doesnt work. I have all mine set not to allow and I still get asked to send as a text message if iMessage wont go through. And I'm getting charged for "texts" even though none show up on my phone.

Message 23 of 25 (26,968 Views)
Contributor

I believe I use the imessage text messages

Message 24 of 25 (17,096 Views)
Expert

MKWL wrote:

In my experience this doesnt work. I have all mine set not to allow and I still get asked to send as a text message if iMessage wont go through. And I'm getting charged for "texts" even though none show up on my phone.

that switch only applies to messages between apple products, it basicly prevents the app from sending a imessage as a sms messahe when the apple servers are having problems. It does not turn off sms completely.

Message 25 of 25 (17,022 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.