I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

Contributor

I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

I noticed today that AT&T is billing me for iMessage texts even though they don't go through their system the same way.  I've learned from others that the same thing is happening to them.  Is this an error or is AT&T actually billing for this even though we are told they don't?

Message 1 of 25 (62,815 Views)
Professor

Re: I am getting billed for iMessage text messages

Are you sure the text messages are being sent and received via iMessage vs. normal SMS/MMS?
Message 2 of 25 (62,742 Views)
Highlighted
Master

[ Edited ]

Both you and the person that you are sending the iMessage to have to be running iOS 5 in order for it to count as an iMessage. If you have iOS 5 and the other party doesn't your message will go through as an SMS. A good way to tell before sending out your message is to check and see what the text box says next to the send button before you start texting in it. If the box doesn't say "iMessage" it will be sent and billed as an SMS.

Message 3 of 25 (62,737 Views)
Professor

How does your phone know ahead of time whether the other person has iOS 5? A friend at work and his wife both got iPhone 4S's. When I compose a message to him, it automatically comes up as iMessage in the box, but if I compose a message to her, it comes up as a normal SMS message. They should come up the same way since they both have iOS 5 (I also have iOS 5 on my iPhone 4).
Message 4 of 25 (62,727 Views)
Mentor

Both users must also have iMessage turned on in Settings > General.

The differentian and determination of how the message is sent is handled in the background of iOS.

For me, it only seems to work when th person I'm messaging with has their phone number specifically defined as "iPhone" in the contact.  But that may not be a factor at all, it is merely my experience.

Message 5 of 25 (62,715 Views)
Explorer

You can also tell by the chat bubble being blue. With sms it is green.

Message 6 of 25 (62,698 Views)
Master

It will also say iMessage in the text box where you start to wright your message.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 25 (62,644 Views)
Mentor

My sister used to have a blackberry and updgraded to the 4S on Verizon this weekend, I sent a normal SMS to her using her number the first time after she got the phone, then when she replied to me it came back in iMessage.  There must be something when you send your message that tells the other device you are on iOS 5 and to default to iMessage on the response.

Message 8 of 25 (62,624 Views)
Guru

How do you know they are charging you? None of my iMessages even show up on AT&T's website.
Message 9 of 25 (62,579 Views)
Expert

Under Settings - Messages about misway down there is a on off slider that is set as Send as SMS, if it is one the help text states that is will "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply"

It appears that if this is on, and imessage cannot send the text for any reason it automaticly sends it as SMS

Message 10 of 25 (62,494 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Under Settings - Messages about misway down there is a on off slider that is set as Send as SMS, if it is one the help text states that is will "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply"

It appears that if this is on, and imessage cannot send the text for any reason it automaticly sends it as SMS

This is accurate. For recipients that iOS identifies as iMessage enabled, it will initially attempt to send the message via iMessage. If that times out, then if he switch is turned on in settings, it will switch gears and send the message via SMS. If not, it won't.

Message 11 of 25 (56,715 Views)
Tutor

It happens the same to me. Myself, my wife and daughter have iPhone and all sms, in 3G, between my wife and daughter (they have the iPhone 4 with ios5) have been billed (all settings correctly done)

In addition despite the fact that "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply" is desactivated, the sms are sent even though, and billed of course.

I am going to visit AT&T and Apple Store.

Message 12 of 25 (56,616 Views)
Expert

Hobbywan wrote:

It happens the same to me. Myself, my wife and daughter have iPhone and all sms, in 3G, between my wife and daughter (they have the iPhone 4 with ios5) have been billed (all settings correctly done)

In addition despite the fact that "send as SMS whne iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply" is desactivated, the sms are sent even though, and billed of course.

I am going to visit AT&T and Apple Store.

Would stick with Apple Genius bar, suspect ATT reps will not be able to help in this IOS 5 function.

Also - verify it is setup right

http://gigaom.com/apple/ios-5-imessage/

Message 13 of 25 (56,590 Views)
Tutor

Correct. I have been to AT&T and they do not want to hear about iMessage. They sent me to Apple Store. Will see what they said.

Message 14 of 25 (56,519 Views)
Expert

Hobbywan wrote:

Correct. I have been to AT&T and they do not want to hear about iMessage. They sent me to Apple Store. Will see what they said.

Perfectly understandable since it is a Apple IOS function and has nothing to do with any of the carriers services, same typew of discussions are going on over at Sprint and Verizon forums

Message 15 of 25 (56,510 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.