Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 11, 2013
6:40:43 PM
View profile
I accidentally dialed 911, twice.

Hello, I am new here. I got my Alcatel 871A (The white go-phone) a few months ago. Since then, it has accidentally dialed 911 at least twice. One time, the call lasted for 30 minutes before I realized what it was doing. This all happened while the keypad was locked. It will not let me delete 911 as the emergency contact.

I have not found any discussions about this, or anything in the user manual. Even if I were in an emergency, I think I could trust myself to dial three digits more than I can trust this phone to know what an emergency is. Please help before this becomes a public safety issue! Thanks.

Also, it won't let me post this message in the appropriate forum. It keeps telling me to "select a board."

Hello, I am new here. I got my Alcatel 871A (The white go-phone) a few months ago. Since then, it has accidentally dialed 911 at least twice. One time, the call lasted for 30 minutes before I realized what it was doing. This all happened while the keypad was locked. It will not let me delete 911 as the emergency contact.

I have not found any discussions about this, or anything in the user manual. Even if I were in an emergency, I think I could trust myself to dial three digits more than I can trust this phone to know what an emergency is. Please help before this becomes a public safety issue! Thanks.

Also, it won't let me post this message in the appropriate forum. It keeps telling me to "select a board."

I accidentally dialed 911, twice.

8 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 12:47:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Rodavon wrote:

I got my Alcatel 871A (The white go-phone) a few months ago. Since then, it has accidentally dialed 911 at least twice. One time, the call lasted for 30 minutes before I realized what it was doing. This all happened while the keypad was locked.

>

I'm not at all familiar with that phone, but it made the calls while your keyboard was locked? Was that from "pocket dialing," or something else? Could it have been a low-battery issue?

>It will not let me delete 911 as the emergency contact.

If you can't delete it, can you overwrite it? Maybe put in a seven- or ten-digit number for your local public safety dispatch center?

>Even if I were in an emergency, I think I could trust myself to dial three digits more than I can trust this phone to know what an emergency is.

>

As a former Public Safety Communications Officer, I'm glad to know somebody thinks that way. I always suspected some people thought they were being "extra safe" by programming 9-1-1 into a one-touch button on their phones. They always acted so surprised (and some even seem offended) when a sheriff's deputy or police officer showed up at their door to make sure every thing was alright. "Oh, the kids were playing with the phone." Hmm, how predictable was that, huh?

I mean, I like the occasional story about some guy getting caught during the commission of a burglary or something because his phone butt-dialed 9-1-1. (And in one case, the low-battery alert gave away his hiding place inside the building.) But as you said, it can be an issue, having to track down the phantom calls when there's really no emergency.

People have been able to call 9-1-1 by using their noses on the keypad, but I don't know of any cases where someone was saved only because they were able to make a one-touch call.

Hope the overwrite suggestion works, or you find another solution. Thanks for being responsible, and looking for a way to not jam up the emergency reporting system.

Rodavon wrote:

I got my Alcatel 871A (The white go-phone) a few months ago. Since then, it has accidentally dialed 911 at least twice. One time, the call lasted for 30 minutes before I realized what it was doing. This all happened while the keypad was locked.

>

I'm not at all familiar with that phone, but it made the calls while your keyboard was locked? Was that from "pocket dialing," or something else? Could it have been a low-battery issue?

>It will not let me delete 911 as the emergency contact.

If you can't delete it, can you overwrite it? Maybe put in a seven- or ten-digit number for your local public safety dispatch center?

>Even if I were in an emergency, I think I could trust myself to dial three digits more than I can trust this phone to know what an emergency is.

>

As a former Public Safety Communications Officer, I'm glad to know somebody thinks that way. I always suspected some people thought they were being "extra safe" by programming 9-1-1 into a one-touch button on their phones. They always acted so surprised (and some even seem offended) when a sheriff's deputy or police officer showed up at their door to make sure every thing was alright. "Oh, the kids were playing with the phone." Hmm, how predictable was that, huh?

I mean, I like the occasional story about some guy getting caught during the commission of a burglary or something because his phone butt-dialed 9-1-1. (And in one case, the low-battery alert gave away his hiding place inside the building.) But as you said, it can be an issue, having to track down the phantom calls when there's really no emergency.

People have been able to call 9-1-1 by using their noses on the keypad, but I don't know of any cases where someone was saved only because they were able to make a one-touch call.

Hope the overwrite suggestion works, or you find another solution. Thanks for being responsible, and looking for a way to not jam up the emergency reporting system.

Re: I accidentally dialed 911, twice.

2 of 9 (2,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2013 12:43:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I suppose I could try overwriting it with that? I already tried overwriting it with a fake number, but maybe it has to be a real number?

I suppose I could try overwriting it with that? I already tried overwriting it with a fake number, but maybe it has to be a real number?

3 of 9 (2,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 1:43:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

On page 11 of the Manual, you will find the information about the [ key automatically dialing emergency help IF held down.   You do not have to unlock the phone or have sim card in it.  

Making an Emergency Call
• Dial emergency number and press the
key.
Or
• Press and hold the key to make an
emergency call.
Emergency calls do not require you to
unlock your phone nor insert a SIM
card.Making an Emergency Call
key.
Or
Press and hold the [ key to make an
emergency call.
card.

In my opinion - Something was pushing on the key .....  

Have you tried to call att for help to disconnect that feature?  Maybe they have an answer.

On page 11 of the Manual, you will find the information about the [ key automatically dialing emergency help IF held down.   You do not have to unlock the phone or have sim card in it.  

Making an Emergency Call
key.
Or
• Press and hold the key to make an
emergency call.
card.Making an Emergency Call
key.
Or
Press and hold the [ key to make an
emergency call.
card.

In my opinion - Something was pushing on the key .....  

Have you tried to call att for help to disconnect that feature?  Maybe they have an answer.

4 of 9 (1,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 11:49:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
I had the same problem. Through some research I found out AT&T put out a software update for this phone that seems to fix the issue. Go to http://tinyurl.com/pknyrhf and follow the instructions. I hope this helps.
I had the same problem. Through some research I found out AT&T put out a software update for this phone that seems to fix the issue. Go to http://tinyurl.com/pknyrhf and follow the instructions. I hope this helps.

5 of 9 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 5:39:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

As of 8-1-13, the accidental 911 call problem has not been fixed.  The FCC requires ability to dial 911 when the keyboard is locked.  However, Alcatel and AT&T have made this phone way too sensitive.  I have called tech support at both places and each blames the other.  I have updated software.  I have tried two separate new phones.  The problem still keeps happening.  Too many 911 calls when the phone is in my pocket... some cases when I was sitting down and barely moving.  I suspect something is unstable, because when I try and duplcate the problem while holding he phone in my hand, it takes more pressure and use otf two keys.  It is as if the phone has a mind of its own.  After sitting idle for a while, it gets bored and dials 911 with minimal (or possibly no) contact.  This is a serious problem.  It is a great phone otherwise.  The tech support depts can not fix the problem.  The design engineers (hardware and software) need to own up to the problem an fix it!

As of 8-1-13, the accidental 911 call problem has not been fixed.  The FCC requires ability to dial 911 when the keyboard is locked.  However, Alcatel and AT&T have made this phone way too sensitive.  I have called tech support at both places and each blames the other.  I have updated software.  I have tried two separate new phones.  The problem still keeps happening.  Too many 911 calls when the phone is in my pocket... some cases when I was sitting down and barely moving.  I suspect something is unstable, because when I try and duplcate the problem while holding he phone in my hand, it takes more pressure and use otf two keys.  It is as if the phone has a mind of its own.  After sitting idle for a while, it gets bored and dials 911 with minimal (or possibly no) contact.  This is a serious problem.  It is a great phone otherwise.  The tech support depts can not fix the problem.  The design engineers (hardware and software) need to own up to the problem an fix it!

6 of 9 (1,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 4:46:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

As of 8-8-13, the dial 911 problem appears to have been fixed.  I updated latest phone software, and the problem has gone away!  I tried same procedure of pushing green button on left multiple times as before, and it no longer brings up 911.  Hurrah! 

As of 8-8-13, the dial 911 problem appears to have been fixed.  I updated latest phone software, and the problem has gone away!  I tried same procedure of pushing green button on left multiple times as before, and it no longer brings up 911.  Hurrah! 

7 of 9 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 3:44:52 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Aug 9, 2013 at 6:02:46 AM

How do I update the software?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

How do I update the software?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 8:08:24 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hey riley15, thanks for letting us know!

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hey riley15, thanks for letting us know!

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 9 (861 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments