Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 11, 2014
6:51:19 AM
I Keep Getting Charged For 911 Calls I don't make.

I have 2 gophones and have now been charged for two 911 calls we didn't make.  I have 2 Nokia 520 phones and their is no way to accidentally "butt" dial a 911 call.  Not a big deal at $.70 per call but it really screws up the accounts since you have to add at least $10 to each account.  And not being able to communicate with customer service by email or online chat getting this charged removed is a major pain since I have trouble hearing the live CS reps on the phone.  I emailed ATT Customer Care 5 days ago and have never gotten a reply.

Is anyone else getting these 911 charges?

I have 2 gophones and have now been charged for two 911 calls we didn't make.  I have 2 Nokia 520 phones and their is no way to accidentally "butt" dial a 911 call.  Not a big deal at $.70 per call but it really screws up the accounts since you have to add at least $10 to each account.  And not being able to communicate with customer service by email or online chat getting this charged removed is a major pain since I have trouble hearing the live CS reps on the phone.  I emailed ATT Customer Care 5 days ago and have never gotten a reply.

Is anyone else getting these 911 charges?

I Keep Getting Charged For 911 Calls I don't make.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 7:21:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

I had another account issue so I called ATT CS.  After minutes of trying to understand the CS rep I finally understood that the charge on my account was not and actual 911 call as it shows on my online history, it is a 911 monthly service fee.  Why in the winkie don't they show it as a 911 service fee and not a 911 call, duh?

ATT PLEASE GET US PREPAID PEONS AN ONLINE CHAT OR DEDICATED EMAIL CAPABILITY.

I had another account issue so I called ATT CS.  After minutes of trying to understand the CS rep I finally understood that the charge on my account was not and actual 911 call as it shows on my online history, it is a 911 monthly service fee.  Why in the winkie don't they show it as a 911 service fee and not a 911 call, duh?

ATT PLEASE GET US PREPAID PEONS AN ONLINE CHAT OR DEDICATED EMAIL CAPABILITY.

Re: I Keep Getting Charged For 911 Calls I don't make.

2 of 6 (421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 2:47:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, that is correct. The charge for the 911 "call" was not actually for a call itself, but a nationwide issued monthly charge. It's kind of like a tax and/or surcharge that you might see on a postpaid billing statement every month. Fortunately, it's the only one and it's pretty reasonable.

I can definitely see how you would be surprised. However, don't be surprised if they show up again next month. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yes, that is correct. The charge for the 911 "call" was not actually for a call itself, but a nationwide issued monthly charge. It's kind of like a tax and/or surcharge that you might see on a postpaid billing statement every month. Fortunately, it's the only one and it's pretty reasonable.

I can definitely see how you would be surprised. However, don't be surprised if they show up again next month. Smiley Tongue

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 8:02:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you use CallingMart or Secrest Wireless to refill the account you don't get hit with these fees. It makes refilling much simpler IMO. 

If you use CallingMart or Secrest Wireless to refill the account you don't get hit with these fees. It makes refilling much simpler IMO. 

4 of 6 (329 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 9:45:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

I thought that the 911 fee was dictated by state laws based on the number and area code?  

As far as simplicity I have both numbers set for autopay to a credit card.  I don't have to do anything.  How much simpler can that be?

I thought that the 911 fee was dictated by state laws based on the number and area code?  

As far as simplicity I have both numbers set for autopay to a credit card.  I don't have to do anything.  How much simpler can that be?

5 of 6 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 10:33:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

Good point, I used the wrong term. It's less expensive is what I meant, there is no tax or E911 fees. On top of that the refills are discounted, in general they run $54/mo (total) if you pull their discount codes off twitter. $57 is the regular price. 

A minute on the web saves you about $6.70 + the tax you aren't paying, every month. Not bad IMO when the only reason people use GoPhone is to save money in the first place. 

Good point, I used the wrong term. It's less expensive is what I meant, there is no tax or E911 fees. On top of that the refills are discounted, in general they run $54/mo (total) if you pull their discount codes off twitter. $57 is the regular price. 

A minute on the web saves you about $6.70 + the tax you aren't paying, every month. Not bad IMO when the only reason people use GoPhone is to save money in the first place. 

6 of 6 (316 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments