I Keep Getting Charged For 911 Calls I don't make.

Highlighted
Mentor

I Keep Getting Charged For 911 Calls I don't make.

I have 2 gophones and have now been charged for two 911 calls we didn't make.  I have 2 Nokia 520 phones and their is no way to accidentally "butt" dial a 911 call.  Not a big deal at $.70 per call but it really screws up the accounts since you have to add at least $10 to each account.  And not being able to communicate with customer service by email or online chat getting this charged removed is a major pain since I have trouble hearing the live CS reps on the phone.  I emailed ATT Customer Care 5 days ago and have never gotten a reply.

Is anyone else getting these 911 charges?

Message 1 of 6 (511 Views)
Mentor

Re: I Keep Getting Charged For 911 Calls I don't make.

I had another account issue so I called ATT CS.  After minutes of trying to understand the CS rep I finally understood that the charge on my account was not and actual 911 call as it shows on my online history, it is a 911 monthly service fee.  Why in the winkie don't they show it as a 911 service fee and not a 911 call, duh?

ATT PLEASE GET US PREPAID PEONS AN ONLINE CHAT OR DEDICATED EMAIL CAPABILITY.

Message 2 of 6 (502 Views)
Master

Yes, that is correct. The charge for the 911 "call" was not actually for a call itself, but a nationwide issued monthly charge. It's kind of like a tax and/or surcharge that you might see on a postpaid billing statement every month. Fortunately, it's the only one and it's pretty reasonable.

I can definitely see how you would be surprised. However, don't be surprised if they show up again next month. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 6 (464 Views)
Mentor

If you use CallingMart or Secrest Wireless to refill the account you don't get hit with these fees. It makes refilling much simpler IMO. 

Message 4 of 6 (410 Views)
Mentor

I thought that the 911 fee was dictated by state laws based on the number and area code?  

As far as simplicity I have both numbers set for autopay to a credit card.  I don't have to do anything.  How much simpler can that be?

Message 5 of 6 (401 Views)
Mentor

Good point, I used the wrong term. It's less expensive is what I meant, there is no tax or E911 fees. On top of that the refills are discounted, in general they run $54/mo (total) if you pull their discount codes off twitter. $57 is the regular price. 

A minute on the web saves you about $6.70 + the tax you aren't paying, every month. Not bad IMO when the only reason people use GoPhone is to save money in the first place. 

Message 6 of 6 (397 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.