Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 21, 2011
11:29:25 AM
View profile
I DON"T have a Data plan but my phone can do wifi. Will I be charged for this ?

We just got  2 phones, a Samsung SGH-a777  &  LG - CU295.  Both have the ability to get to the internet although I was told by the AT&T rep at the store that they "are not" smart phones.

If I use them from my home, Starbucks, Panera's or McDonalds will I be charged in any way ?  Kind of scary.  I can hardly afford what I have to pay now for 2 on the family plan.  We really use them for emergencies, talk via the free ATT 2 ATT with my kids and grandkids.  Forced to get new phones and new plan ($25 more a month) as I'm one of the ATT Blues (past 7 years).  Would be ice to be able to get the internet if it's free.    

If not Free is there anyway I can put a lock on that functionality so we don't end up on the net and get a big bill ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

We just got  2 phones, a Samsung SGH-a777  &  LG - CU295.  Both have the ability to get to the internet although I was told by the AT&T rep at the store that they "are not" smart phones.

If I use them from my home, Starbucks, Panera's or McDonalds will I be charged in any way ?  Kind of scary.  I can hardly afford what I have to pay now for 2 on the family plan.  We really use them for emergencies, talk via the free ATT 2 ATT with my kids and grandkids.  Forced to get new phones and new plan ($25 more a month) as I'm one of the ATT Blues (past 7 years).  Would be ice to be able to get the internet if it's free.    

If not Free is there anyway I can put a lock on that functionality so we don't end up on the net and get a big bill ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I DON"T have a Data plan but my phone can do wifi. Will I be charged for this ?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 12:50:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

What you have are not smartphones.  They don't have wi-fi.  They do have access to the internet through AT&T.  To use internet you would get data charges.  

You can call in and have data blocked on both lines but be aware, it will block the ability to be able to send and receive mms messages (as that does use the data connection).  Text messages would still work fine.

What you have are not smartphones.  They don't have wi-fi.  They do have access to the internet through AT&T.  To use internet you would get data charges.  

You can call in and have data blocked on both lines but be aware, it will block the ability to be able to send and receive mms messages (as that does use the data connection).  Text messages would still work fine.

Re: I DON"T have a Data plan but my phone can do wifi. Will I be charged for this ?

2 of 12 (8,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 1:23:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the reply.  Guess I'll call them and take off the msg extra.  Doesn't do much good and I've never Txt before so I won't miss it.

I keep hearing that one can get to the net without having to have a data plan.   Oh well, Life isn't fair, especially when you're hooked to cell phone carrier.

Thanks for the reply.  Guess I'll call them and take off the msg extra.  Doesn't do much good and I've never Txt before so I won't miss it.

I keep hearing that one can get to the net without having to have a data plan.   Oh well, Life isn't fair, especially when you're hooked to cell phone carrier.

Re: I DON"T have a Data plan but my phone can do wifi. Will I be charged for this ?

3 of 12 (8,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 8:45:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

You can get to the net without having to have a data plan.  But you would be charged on a per-use basis.  

If you don't want to have to worry about it you can call in and have data blocked completely.  Texting will still work but you will lose the ability to send pictures/audio/video through MMS as that does require a data connection to function. 

You can get to the net without having to have a data plan.  But you would be charged on a per-use basis.  

If you don't want to have to worry about it you can call in and have data blocked completely.  Texting will still work but you will lose the ability to send pictures/audio/video through MMS as that does require a data connection to function. 

4 of 12 (8,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 5:19:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

I went into the ATT store and the rep turn off the web/email.  He said I would still be able to send TXT MSG.

What is the difference, besides cost, between TXT Msg and MSM, what is MSM?  Thanks in advance.

I went into the ATT store and the rep turn off the web/email.  He said I would still be able to send TXT MSG.

What is the difference, besides cost, between TXT Msg and MSM, what is MSM?  Thanks in advance.

5 of 12 (7,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 8:50:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

TXT message is JUST text.  160 character limit per message (including headers).  

MMS is multimedia messages containing audio clips, video clips, pictures and/or text of more than 160 characters.

TXT message is JUST text.  160 character limit per message (including headers).  

MMS is multimedia messages containing audio clips, video clips, pictures and/or text of more than 160 characters.

6 of 12 (7,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2013 6:31:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

I need to find out whats going on here.  A person with a wifi device CAN go online for free in wifi without having a data plan.  I am learning from these forums, I think, "UNLESS" AT&T is your carrier.  I have three such devices, one of which is with AT&T (but isnt a phone), two which aren't on any carrier.  

Apparently a wifi-capable phone isn't allowed to have a talk / text only plan, of any kind, not even pay-as-you go.  I am very disappointed to learn this as I already pay a fortune for a phone on contract and a data plan, and just want a tiny pay as you go phone plan to carry around with me that I already own that does wifi. Apparently I can continue to pay through the nose for unlimited talk and text which I hardly use but am not allowed to set up a talk text account on my pocket sized phone which I already am using for wifi.

I need to find out whats going on here.  A person with a wifi device CAN go online for free in wifi without having a data plan.  I am learning from these forums, I think, "UNLESS" AT&T is your carrier.  I have three such devices, one of which is with AT&T (but isnt a phone), two which aren't on any carrier.  

Apparently a wifi-capable phone isn't allowed to have a talk / text only plan, of any kind, not even pay-as-you go.  I am very disappointed to learn this as I already pay a fortune for a phone on contract and a data plan, and just want a tiny pay as you go phone plan to carry around with me that I already own that does wifi. Apparently I can continue to pay through the nose for unlimited talk and text which I hardly use but am not allowed to set up a talk text account on my pocket sized phone which I already am using for wifi.

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

7 of 12 (2,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 5:28:34 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi little birdy,

You can absolutely activate any phone that is comptable on our network on prepaid without having a data plan. All of our GoPhone devices support any device, regardless of being a basic phone or a Smartphone. You will need to specifiy if you go into a store that you don't want data and they will be able to assit.

However on our post paid plans, any device that is a smartphone does require a data plan. With all of our new Mobile Share Value plans already include data as part of the package with unlimted talk and text. And with your own device, you could pay as little as $45 a month.

You can build a new Mobile Share Value Plan Here.

You can see all of our GoPhone plans Here

Thanks

Hi little birdy,

You can absolutely activate any phone that is comptable on our network on prepaid without having a data plan. All of our GoPhone devices support any device, regardless of being a basic phone or a Smartphone. You will need to specifiy if you go into a store that you don't want data and they will be able to assit.

However on our post paid plans, any device that is a smartphone does require a data plan. With all of our new Mobile Share Value plans already include data as part of the package with unlimted talk and text. And with your own device, you could pay as little as $45 a month.

You can build a new Mobile Share Value Plan Here.

You can see all of our GoPhone plans Here

Thanks

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 12 (2,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 8:11:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

thank you, that is good  news.  I wasnt able to get that info on my last phone call about it.  my blackberry isnt one of the two listed, but i am going to check it out when I'm ready.

thank you, that is good  news.  I wasnt able to get that info on my last phone call about it.  my blackberry isnt one of the two listed, but i am going to check it out when I'm ready.

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

9 of 12 (2,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 9:06:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
Logo412 you contradicted yourself. You first said that any phone through ATT can be activated with no data plan yet in the next paragraph you said smart phones must have a data plan. Aren't smart phones included in "any phone" ? Or did I misunderstand?

My son has an iPhone 4 and it has no service. It's a glorified iPod. It's actually better than an iPod in that it has gps and external speakers and a mic so he can use apps like magic jack, FaceTime and oovoo.

If a phone has a wifi transceiver than it can access the internet without a data plan.
Logo412 you contradicted yourself. You first said that any phone through ATT can be activated with no data plan yet in the next paragraph you said smart phones must have a data plan. Aren't smart phones included in "any phone" ? Or did I misunderstand?

My son has an iPhone 4 and it has no service. It's a glorified iPod. It's actually better than an iPod in that it has gps and external speakers and a mic so he can use apps like magic jack, FaceTime and oovoo.

If a phone has a wifi transceiver than it can access the internet without a data plan.
~~Sent from my iPhone

10 of 12 (2,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 9:22:58 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello FallenAnjel, the difference between those two statements is that the first one is talking about our prepaid (GoPhone) plans and the second paragraph is about postpaid plans.

"You can absolutely activate any phone that is comptable on our network on prepaid without having a data plan. All of our GoPhone devices support any device, regardless of being a basic phone or a Smartphone. You will need to specifiy if you go into a store that you don't want data and they will be able to assit.

However on our post paid plans, any device that is a smartphone does require a data plan. With all of our new Mobile Share Value plans already include data as part of the package with unlimited talk and text. And with your own device, you could pay as little as $45 a month."

So to clarify, a smartphone does require a data plan on a regular, postpaid account (billed monthly) but can be used without one on a prepaid (GoPhone, aka pay as you go) plan.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello FallenAnjel, the difference between those two statements is that the first one is talking about our prepaid (GoPhone) plans and the second paragraph is about postpaid plans.

"You can absolutely activate any phone that is comptable on our network on prepaid without having a data plan. All of our GoPhone devices support any device, regardless of being a basic phone or a Smartphone. You will need to specifiy if you go into a store that you don't want data and they will be able to assit.

However on our post paid plans, any device that is a smartphone does require a data plan. With all of our new Mobile Share Value plans already include data as part of the package with unlimited talk and text. And with your own device, you could pay as little as $45 a month."

So to clarify, a smartphone does require a data plan on a regular, postpaid account (billed monthly) but can be used without one on a prepaid (GoPhone, aka pay as you go) plan.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 12 (2,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 9:39:28 AM
(0)
Mentor
Aaah. Ok. I missed the pre-paid/post-paid. Thanks for the clarification. :-)
Aaah. Ok. I missed the pre-paid/post-paid. Thanks for the clarification. :-)
~~Sent from my iPhone

12 of 12 (2,177 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments