How do I port out my GoPhone phone number?

Mentor

How do I port out my GoPhone phone number?

I've had my gophone for 3 months, and I want to port out my phone number. I want to port it to my AT&T family plan but AT&T says that they need my account number. I called gophone ccare and they said that my account number is my phone number. AT&T still can't port out my gophone number. How do I port out my number to my AT&T family plan. Help?
Message 1 of 15 (51,216 Views)
Scholar

Re: How do I port out my GoPhone phone number?

I think you have to go to an AT&T store in person. Bring the actual Go Phone device and give them both phone numbers. They may ask for ID to prove you are authorized to make changes to the accounts.

Message 2 of 15 (51,199 Views)
Mentor

Thank you
Message 3 of 15 (51,173 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ATTMobilityCare (Community Support)
‎04-18-2016 11:47 AM

[ Edited ]

audiralley wrote:
I've had my gophone for 3 months, and I want to port out my phone number. I want to port it to my AT&T family plan but AT&T says that they need my account number. I called gophone ccare and they said that my account number is my phone number. AT&T still can't port out my gophone number. How do I port out my number to my AT&T family plan. Help?

Hello audiralley.  This is an excellent question that has been asked before without clear resolution, as it appears to be a "catch 22" situation.  Check the thread at http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Transferring-number/td-p/2855965

But read on.

First, a minor correction, audiralley:  you are not porting the number.  You are transferring within AT&T.  Ports only occur between two distinct carriers.  So you situation is simpler than a port.

Yes, you need to authenticate yourself to the "account".  But I have found that when transferring or even porting prepaid numbers (which do not have an account number or billing code, as there is no "bill"), you should be able to use:

1. your 10-digit number as the account number
  2. your four-digit PIN as your authentication code
  3. your personal information under "mygophone" when/if filed for all optional fields (the name, address with zip code, home phone optional fields, and the mandatory email address)

With this information, a local corporate store should be able to transfer your SIM and number to the postpaid family line of service.

Message 4 of 15 (51,167 Views)
Master

Just to add a couple of notes re: converting a prepaid line of service to post paid:

1)  Be certain you've added any refill cards to your account prior to requesting the conversion.  Unused refill cards are non-refundable - so you would be relegated to selling them on eBay, etc. to try to recoup some of your investment.  However, if you add the refill to your account prior to conversion, the existing GoPhone account balance at the time of conversion will appear as a credit on the next billing statement (after conversion) for your family's post paid account.

2) In order to ensure 1) above happens - DO NOT let them assign a new phone number to your line of service when making the account type conversion.  That's all this is - an "account type conversion".  You may be given a new SIM, but it should have your existing phone number - provisioned for a post paid line of service instead of prepaid service.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 15 (51,152 Views)
Teacher

Read most of the replies here as well as the link posted by only the shadowknows and I think I'm more wary now. I've been hoping to port my GoPhone number to T-mobile prepaid so I visited a T-mobile store today to ask if this is possible. I was told it is, but I need my AT&T account and PIN numbers, or at the very least my account number. Now I'm wondering if it's just going to turn into a big headache. Is my phone number really my account number or do I have to contact AT&T to get that information (I know that when I had a home phone the acc number was the same as the phone number)? My fear is that T-mobile won't be able to do it and I'll need to get a new number if I want to switch over to them. It's important that I keep my current number.Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 15 (51,112 Views)

Sunnyface35 wrote:

Read most of the replies here as well as the link posted by only the shadowknows and I think I'm more wary now. I've been hoping to port my GoPhone number to T-mobile prepaid so I visited a T-mobile store today to ask if this is possible. I was told it is, but I need my AT&T account and PIN numbers, or at the very least my account number. Now I'm wondering if it's just going to turn into a big headache. Is my phone number really my account number or do I have to contact AT&T to get that information (I know that when I had a home phone the acc number was the same as the phone number)? My fear is that T-mobile won't be able to do it and I'll need to get a new number if I want to switch over to them. It's important that I keep my current number.Smiley Sad

Hello Sunnyface35.

So, you are porting from one prepaid under AT&T to another prepaid under T-Mobile.

You can call AT&T Customer Care interactive voice response system, and find out if there is a real account number, but I suspect that you will be told that your 10-digit number is your prepaid account identifier.

If this is the case:

1. use the 10-digit number as account
  2. use the four-digit PIN for authentication
  3. use your name, address with zip code, and home phone number as filed in your account at mygophone.

If the port is not successful, your GoPhone account will not, or better said should not, be closed.  You do need to activate a T-Mobile prepaid account before hand which will have an interim number (to be replaced by your GoPhone number when the port completes successfully).

I have done one port, and it is stressful.  It took exactly 24 hours, to the second, without any feedback whatsover  But the result was worthwhile.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 15 (51,105 Views)
Teacher

Thank you so much. I will try that. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15 (51,094 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sunnyface35 wrote:

Thank you so much. I will try that. Smiley Wink

Final thoughts, Sunnyface35.

1. Do not drain your GoPhone account completely before the port.  If you do, it may close and then the port will be unsuccessful regardless of your identity.  Leave a small amount, say $1.00, since once you port, the account will be closed and the money will be AT&T's.  (Note:  Offcially, the AT&T GoPhone account should not close, but go on hibernation for 60 days after its balance goes to zero (or expires), but I say, "better be safe than sorry" -- do not drain it before the port and leave $1.00 behind.  But that is just me.)
  2. Do this port at the T-Mobile corporate store.  The sales support will be sluggish as they make zilch on prepaid, and if busy, they will ignore you, probably.  But that is the place where you can get the new SIM, activate with the temp number (account) and start port proceedings.  Nowhere else.
  3. T-Mobile prepaid is aces.  Not because its coverage nationwide (I live in DC, so its coverage is as good or better than AT&T's).  But there are lapses, as I hear, on the hinderlands. I found that T-Mobile fees are better when compared to GoPhone plans side-by-side.  My wife is on a $30-month 1500 talk/text plan with 30MB data.  She only uses about 1000min-mon on average of talk/text, and we are saving more than 50% per-month when compared to her earlier AT&T/Cingular postpaid plan that she held for five years. (I am customer of AT&T prepaid because of my iPhone 3G, but I have three cellphones with T-Mobile prepaid.)

Finally, please come back and tell us about your port experience, although it is specific to only one carrier pair (from AT&T prepaid to T-Mobile prepaid).  If successful, you will not have a mygophone account anymore, but you will still have the community account and will be able to post.

Sunnyface35, here hoping that you will still preserve a "sunnyface" after the port experience.

Message 9 of 15 (51,089 Views)
Mentor

I am going to transfer my prepaid number to a postpaid family plan. Could I get credit for my remain balance in my prepaid account? Many thanks!

Message 10 of 15 (28,386 Views)
ACE - Professor

Nope, the money you refilled into your prepaid account will be non refundable. I would advise keeping a low balance,say $1ish then go ahead with the port. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 15 (28,354 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I have $120 left in my prepaid account but I really want to join my wife's plan.

"Be certain you've added any refill cards to your account prior to requesting the conversion.  Unused refill cards are non-refundable - so you would be relegated to selling them on eBay, etc. to try to recoup some of your investment.  However, if you add the refill to your account prior to conversion, the existing GoPhone account balance at the time of conversion will appear as a credit on the next billing statement (after conversion) for your family's post paid account."

The post was in 2011. Does not it work in 2013?

Message 12 of 15 (28,164 Views)
Contributor

your phone number is not your actual account number, if you cal them and tell them you need your actual accpunt number for porting purposes they will give it to you, they gave me both of mine. Your phone number is only for convienience to log in online to manage your prepaid account.

Message 13 of 15 (22,926 Views)
Contributor

Will there be a difference if i was to say, change from an At&t prepaid plan to any other non prepaid plan, even from a different carrier, will the steps be relatively the same, for me to keep my number, just curious 

Message 14 of 15 (4,704 Views)
ACE - Expert

Yes.  The best way to move to a new service is to have your account number, PIN and Id and go to the new carrier of your choice and have them port your service over.   Service balances do NOT transfer to other carriers, so use up your balance and port 2-3 days before your service is ending.

Your current phone may not work on other networks and may take time to unlock if it will.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 15 (4,698 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.