Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 28, 2012
8:51:18 AM
How do I connect Acer Netbook to 4g network?

Hello all, I just signed a 2yr contract for an Acer A0722 netbook and the 4g 5gb/month data plan.  I received the netbook yesterday, popped in the SIM card, and was off and away, but I noticed I can only connect to the 3g network using AT&T's Connection Manager.  The laptop is emblazoned with a super sweet Smiley Wink 4g sticker, so I'm hoping to connect using 4g service since it's what I'm paying for.  Have I overlooked something?

Hello all, I just signed a 2yr contract for an Acer A0722 netbook and the 4g 5gb/month data plan.  I received the netbook yesterday, popped in the SIM card, and was off and away, but I noticed I can only connect to the 3g network using AT&T's Connection Manager.  The laptop is emblazoned with a super sweet Smiley Wink 4g sticker, so I'm hoping to connect using 4g service since it's what I'm paying for.  Have I overlooked something?

How do I connect Acer Netbook to 4g network?

6 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2012 9:02:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

i just brought the same netbook. it advertised to be 4g and it seems that no one from att support line to can assist. i lived in lte area. i have 2 tablets, iphones under att and all i have lte except for my iphone 4s. it can connect 4g but this netbook doesnt not. i check the device manager and it states that its using huawei 3g moderm.  why does is that?  can this 3g modem connects to hspa+.  pleease help. 

raffivegas wrote:

i just brought the same netbook. it advertised to be 4g and it seems that no one from att support line to can assist. i lived in lte area. i have 2 tablets, iphones under att and all i have lte except for my iphone 4s. it can connect 4g but this netbook doesnt not. i check the device manager and it states that its using huawei 3g moderm.  why does is that?  can this 3g modem connects to hspa+.  pleease help. 

raffivegas wrote:

Re: How do I connect Acer Netbook to 4g network?

2 of 7 (1,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2013 2:44:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

I noticed you posted this in 2012...have you gotten an answer or resolution?  I too purchased one from at&t and have yet to find anyone with any answers!  I am completly frustratedl.  They have implemented 4
G in my area and guess what?!  Now I can barely get a 3g signal!  It was fine until the üpgrade

I noticed you posted this in 2012...have you gotten an answer or resolution?  I too purchased one from at&t and have yet to find anyone with any answers!  I am completly frustratedl.  They have implemented 4
G in my area and guess what?!  Now I can barely get a 3g signal!  It was fine until the üpgrade

3 of 7 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 5:06:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:48:41 PM

uninstall the version of AT&T Communication Manager you have and install this latest version, I think it should resolve your issue.  MAKE SURE you download the new version executable first if your using your netbook to download the file because you won't be able to connect to the internet over ATT if you uninstall ACM.

[removed link to self starting download]

I got the link from this page:

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/communication-manager/laptop-c...

at the bottom where it says:

"Upgrade to the latest ACM version
Version 7.2 is the latest release of AT&T Communication Manager. This version is not compatible with the Panasonic ToughBook. If you have a Panasonic ToughBook, you must use ACM 6.12.066, the version that shipped with your device."

uninstall the version of AT&T Communication Manager you have and install this latest version, I think it should resolve your issue.  MAKE SURE you download the new version executable first if your using your netbook to download the file because you won't be able to connect to the internet over ATT if you uninstall ACM.

[removed link to self starting download]

I got the link from this page:

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/communication-manager/laptop-connect.jsp

at the bottom where it says:

"Upgrade to the latest ACM version
Version 7.2 is the latest release of AT&T Communication Manager. This version is not compatible with the Panasonic ToughBook. If you have a Panasonic ToughBook, you must use ACM 6.12.066, the version that shipped with your device."

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 8:45:43 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 28, 2013 at 9:38:12 PM

My netbook came with ACM version 9.244 or somthing like that already on it.  My netbook came with a Huawei 3g mobile network card installed.  It does not and never will show a 4g icon because it is a 3g modem.  I keep getting all the jargon about the hspa+ being "comparable"to 4g and that its "technically"4g speeds.  The thing is that I did not purchase this netbook based on "comparable"and "technically".  The exact wording on all the materials said that 4G is built right in.  Everything describing it and the branding is 4G.  I am being told that all the AO722's are like this and I find it hard to believe that all the people who bought this netbook is sitting around with a 3g netbook that was falsely advertised as 4g. 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

My netbook came with ACM version 9.244 or somthing like that already on it.  My netbook came with a Huawei 3g mobile network card installed.  It does not and never will show a 4g icon because it is a 3g modem.  I keep getting all the jargon about the hspa+ being "comparable"to 4g and that its "technically"4g speeds.  The thing is that I did not purchase this netbook based on "comparable"and "technically".  The exact wording on all the materials said that 4G is built right in.  Everything describing it and the branding is 4G.  I am being told that all the AO722's are like this and I find it hard to believe that all the people who bought this netbook is sitting around with a 3g netbook that was falsely advertised as 4g. 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 12:06:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
Excuse me for that then. The point I am trying to convey to everyone is that I am getting messed around and stuck with an obsolete machine that is not what I purchased. Shame on AT&T! They should make this right with every person that purchased one of these netbooks and fix/upgrade them to do what they are advertised as.!
Excuse me for that then. The point I am trying to convey to everyone is that I am getting messed around and stuck with an obsolete machine that is not what I purchased. Shame on AT&T! They should make this right with every person that purchased one of these netbooks and fix/upgrade them to do what they are advertised as.!

6 of 7 (758 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 1:51:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I understand your frustration.  I went through the same motions when I was researching the issue a year or two ago.  It was hard to really find any good documentation on the modem.  However, I'm pretty certain it's an actual 4g modem although most everything online will lead you to believe otherwise.  I'm not sure about ACM version 9.anything, but you should uninstall what you have and install the version I pointed you to in the link.  I think you'll see what you're looking for if you do.

I understand your frustration.  I went through the same motions when I was researching the issue a year or two ago.  It was hard to really find any good documentation on the modem.  However, I'm pretty certain it's an actual 4g modem although most everything online will lead you to believe otherwise.  I'm not sure about ACM version 9.anything, but you should uninstall what you have and install the version I pointed you to in the link.  I think you'll see what you're looking for if you do.

7 of 7 (752 Views)