How can I get credit for undelivered SMS messages?

How can I get credit for undelivered SMS messages?

I've been having trouble - undelivered text messages - on and off all year.

I use Google Voice, so I have logs that show that messages I never received were sent.

Google Voice shows R sent me messages at 6:44 PM and 8:15 PM, and C did at 7:02 PM, all on Sunday.  I got earlier and later messages, but not these.

Is there a way to get credit other than calling in?  Tech folks are unable to troubleshoot. They don't have access to logs, so they simply suggest I swap my SIM and/or phone, hoping that 'll fix it or make me go away.

Message 1 of 27 (2,280 Views)
Contributor

Re: How can I get credit for **defective service that resulted in** undelivered SMS messages?

and sms messages are that are received on the network are repeatedly attempted to be delivered for 72 hours then the message is dropped thats how it works for every carrier, i work for sprint tech support if you are using a third party application for sms then no at&t would not be responsible for the issue due to the fact that you are using google voice and not direct sms through the at&t network.

Message 16 of 27 (2,079 Views)

Re: How can I get credit for **defective service that resulted in** undelivered SMS messages?

spmfox wrote:
ATT didnt invent the SMS protocol, you can take that up with the "maker" of the protocol. While your at it, why not dispute things the government does to "guarantee" the economy goes up. Plain and simple, the document you referenced doesnt use that word in the same context as you are.

I've got no issue with the protocol.  I have an issue with AT&T's implementation; namely it's defective.  If all the carriers drop messages after 72 hours, they're all defective implementations.  

I've written a protocol specification that is in widespread use.  Have you?

Message 17 of 27 (2,020 Views)
Scholar

Re: How can I get credit for undelivered SMS messages?

Turn your phone off for 72 hours, send yourself a message and see what happens. Maybe you should be on mythbusters or something lol

Message 18 of 27 (2,014 Views)
Expert

AboutToGoPostal wrote:

spmfox wrote:
ATT didnt invent the SMS protocol, you can take that up with the "maker" of the protocol. While your at it, why not dispute things the government does to "guarantee" the economy goes up. Plain and simple, the document you referenced doesnt use that word in the same context as you are.

I've got no issue with the protocol.  I have an issue with AT&T's implementation; namely it's defective.  If all the carriers drop messages after 72 hours, they're all defective implementations.  

really which RFC or NPS did you author and what is the number?

The all carriers have defective implementation becasue they all drop after 72

Message 19 of 27 (2,009 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

AboutToGoPostal wrote:

spmfox wrote:

The all carriers have defective implementation becasue they all drop after 72

If I didn't use a pseudonym here, I'd be happy to tell you.  If one went through enough of my posts, one could figure it out if one was smart.

Message 20 of 27 (1,995 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:

AboutToGoPostal wrote:

Way to answer a question with a question. 

Message 21 of 27 (1,078 Views)
ACE - Professor

AboutToGoPostal wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

AboutToGoPostal wrote:

Way to answer a question with a question. 

Did you really come back after almost 3 years just to say that?

Are you getting your text messages now?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 27 (1,063 Views)

AT&T service is unreliable for no good reason. Nothing you've said or quoted changes that. AGAIN: If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that the documentation of the SMS protocol and system doesn't show that it is engineered to guarantee delivery, go ahead. But I will continue to insist that all the documentation I've seen shows it does, as long as that continues to be true. (SMS is very different from voice service, which is not engineered to guarantee delivery.) If you are trying to lawyer that the SMS service AT&T provides doesn't refer to the standard SMS protocol / system, which your use of the wording "the term" suggests, be my guest. I concede that if AT&T wanted to cower behind its TOS disclaimers (which, BTW should clearly indicate that it does attempt to block SMS spam) as a reason for not providing credit for defective service, it could attempt to do so. AT&T SMS service is unreliable for no good reason, and AT&T won't own up to that truth. Nigh everything you've said is a distraction to obfuscate that fact.
Message 23 of 27 (515 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

@AboutToGoPostal

5 years ago you posted this:

I've been having trouble - undelivered text messages - on and off all year.

I use Google Voice, so I have logs that show that messages I never received were sent.

Google Voice shows R sent me messages at 6:44 PM and 8:15 PM, and C did at 7:02 PM, all on Sunday. I got earlier and later messages, but not these.

Is there a way to get credit other than calling in? Tech folks are unable to troubleshoot. They don't have access to logs, so they simply suggest I swap my SIM and/or phone, hoping that 'll fix it or make me go away.

Since you are using a 3 rd party message service, how does this in any way become an ATT problem?

Its kind of like blaming the post office when your UPS package doesn't arrive.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 27 (509 Views)
ACE - Master

AboutToGoPostal wrote:
 If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that the documentation of the SMS protocol and system doesn't show that it is engineered to guarantee delivery, go ahead. But I will continue to insist that all the documentation I've seen shows it does, as long as that continues to be true..

Very interesting thread. I've never thought of SMS as being a guaranteed delivery protocol. As for documentation of that, I believe this is the "official" SMS rfc: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5724.txt. I quote this from paragraph 4:

"SMS messages very often are delivered almost instantaneously (if the receiving SMS client is online), but there is no guarantee for when SMS messages will be delivered.  In particular, SMS messages between different network operators sometimes take a long time to be delivered (hours or even days) or are not delivered at all, so applications SHOULD NOT make any assumptions about the reliability and performance of SMS message transmission."

Message 25 of 27 (503 Views)
ACE - Expert

Just plug in "google voice text messages not being received" in browser and I get a ton of responses.  5 years fussing over ATT when you should be troubleshooting your GV account.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 26 of 27 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]

sandblaster wrote:

AboutToGoPostal wrote:
 If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that the documentation of the SMS protocol and system doesn't show that it is engineered to guarantee delivery, go ahead. But I will continue to insist that all the documentation I've seen shows it does, as long as that continues to be true..

Very interesting thread. I've never thought of SMS as being a guaranteed delivery protocol. As for documentation of that, I believe this is the "official" SMS rfc: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5724.txt.

Wow, how deceptive can you be? RFC 5724 is CERTAINLY NOT the "official" documentation of the SMS protocol.  The documentation of the SMS protocol is found at the URL I provided.  Let's take a look at the IETF RFC you refer to. It is titled 

URI Scheme for Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)
                      Short Message Service (SMS)

It does include some useful references, however:

[SMS]      European Telecommunications Standards Institute, "3GPP TS
              23.040 V7.0.1 (2007-03): 3rd Generation Partnership
              Project; Technical Specification Group Core Network and
              Terminals; Technical realization of the Short Message
              Service (SMS) (Release 7)", March 2007, <http://
              www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/23_series/23.040/
              23040-701.zip>.

[SMS-CHAR]
              European Telecommunications Standards Institute, "TS 100
              900 (GSM 03.38 version 7.2.0 Release 1998): Digital
              Cellular Telecommunications System (Phase 2+); Alphabets
              and language-specific information", July 1999, <http://
              www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/03_series/03.38/
              0338-720.zip>.

Message 27 of 27 (458 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.