Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 4, 2013
4:04:04 PM
View profile
How can I find details of an old account that is being reported as in collections?

I have a derogatory mark on my credit report that says I have an unpaid AT&T bill. I called the 800 number for customer support to try to learn more. All she could give me was that it was closed in 2007 and an account number. Where can I find more information? Account opened when? By who? Where?

I have a derogatory mark on my credit report that says I have an unpaid AT&T bill. I called the 800 number for customer support to try to learn more. All she could give me was that it was closed in 2007 and an account number. Where can I find more information? Account opened when? By who? Where?

How can I find details of an old account that is being reported as in collections?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 12:56:22 AM
(0)
Employee
You can try contacting the company from which you receive your credit report to see what collection agency or lawyer's office has your account.
You can try contacting the company from which you receive your credit report to see what collection agency or lawyer's office has your account.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How can I find details of an old account that is being reported as in collections?

2 of 5 (538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2013 8:19:16 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, ma6ttratcathat!

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you never opened an account with us. If that's the case, it could be that your identity was stolen and used to open an AT&T account. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so please keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Hello, ma6ttratcathat!

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you never opened an account with us. If that's the case, it could be that your identity was stolen and used to open an AT&T account. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so please keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How can I find details of an old account that is being reported as in collections?

3 of 5 (509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 9:34:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

I also have the same problem

I cancelled my wireless service over the phone on or about July 2010.   I had this account for several years.   I was never told there were outstanding charges nor did I receive a bill.  During the process of applying for a credit card over the phone, I was told AT&T reported me to a collection agency and would have to receive a higher interest then what was originally offered to me.  I have been rebuilding my credit again and if I would have been notified in a timely manner, I would not have this blemish on my credit report.  How to I go about settling this so I can have the entry removed.  Please do not tell me to call the credit agencies because all they will do is make me call AT&T..Please let me know who to call or write to to give my account information.  I tried calling the 800 number but since I don't have an active account, I do not get anywhere.

I cancelled my wireless service over the phone on or about July 2010.   I had this account for several years.   I was never told there were outstanding charges nor did I receive a bill.  During the process of applying for a credit card over the phone, I was told AT&T reported me to a collection agency and would have to receive a higher interest then what was originally offered to me.  I have been rebuilding my credit again and if I would have been notified in a timely manner, I would not have this blemish on my credit report.  How to I go about settling this so I can have the entry removed.  Please do not tell me to call the credit agencies because all they will do is make me call AT&T..Please let me know who to call or write to to give my account information.  I tried calling the 800 number but since I don't have an active account, I do not get anywhere.

4 of 5 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 1:01:55 PM
(0)
Expert

eeerooo wrote:

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

eeerooo wrote:

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

5 of 5 (426 Views)