How Much to Get Out of Contract After a Year?

Scholar

How Much to Get Out of Contract After a Year?

If I upgrade now to new 5C or 5S (I'm out of contract now), how much would I have to pay to get the iPhone that comes out next year?

I read that it's $200, then less $10 for every month you've had the phone under current contract?

Asking here because I don't trust CS's answers.  Smiley Sad  Been there, done that, in the past.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Message 1 of 5
Professor

Re: How Much to Get Out of Contract After a Year?

It's $325 minus $10 for each month of service.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

Message 2 of 5
Professor

An ETF is to terminate service with AT&T if a contract isn't completed at the time of termination.  It is not a contract buyout fee that allows the customer to continue service with AT&T and get a new device at the subsidized price. 

If you start a new contract with the iPhone 5S or 5C now and want to get the iPhone 6 (?) a year from now, you would probably be eligible for an early upgrade which will be the subsidized device price plus $250. 

If you start the Next program now for the iPhone 5S/C, you will make 12 monthly payments, then turn in your iPhone 5S/C (in an undamaged condition) to get the remaining balance on that phone forgiven, and get the iPhone 6 next year and start over with your monthly payments.

Keep in mind that policies can change.  What is in place now may not be in place a year from now.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Professor

I think they did away with the $250+ early upgrade option. I got my 5 on launch day last year, and my only upgrade option right now at was full price, and the full upgrade in Sept 2014.
Message 4 of 5
Professor

dwill05 wrote:
I think they did away with the $250+ early upgrade option. I got my 5 on launch day last year, and my only upgrade option right now at was full price, and the full upgrade in Sept 2014.

I can upgrade to a 16GB iPhone 5S for $449 now, which would be early upgrade pricing.  Here are the statements that show for my upgrade status:

AT&T Upgrade Status:
This line is not eligible for a standard upgrade at this time. You can get a device at full price. This line may be eligible for a standard upgrade on 03/09/2014
• This line is ineligible for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade.

iPhone Upgrade Status:
• This line is eligible for an early upgrade with a partial discount off the full price when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. A $36 upgrade fee will apply. Early iPhone upgrade pricing is available online today while all other devices are available for early upgrade pricing in AT&T retail stores or via 611. This line may be eligible for an upgrade with our best pricing on
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support