Ask a question

Posted Sep 26, 2013
    4:47:05 PM
    View profile
    How Much to Get Out of Contract After a Year?

If I upgrade now to new 5C or 5S (I'm out of contract now), how much would I have to pay to get the iPhone that comes out next year?

I read that it's $200, then less $10 for every month you've had the phone under current contract?

Asking here because I don't trust CS's answers.  Smiley Sad  Been there, done that, in the past.

Thanks for any help/advice!

How Much to Get Out of Contract After a Year?

4 replies
    (1) Me too
    (1) Me too
    View all replies
    (4)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 5:48:18 PM
    (0)
    Professor

It's $325 minus $10 for each month of service.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

Re: How Much to Get Out of Contract After a Year?

2 of 5 (5,678 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 5:55:49 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

An ETF is to terminate service with AT&T if a contract isn't completed at the time of termination.  It is not a contract buyout fee that allows the customer to continue service with AT&T and get a new device at the subsidized price. 

If you start a new contract with the iPhone 5S or 5C now and want to get the iPhone 6 (?) a year from now, you would probably be eligible for an early upgrade which will be the subsidized device price plus $250. 

If you start the Next program now for the iPhone 5S/C, you will make 12 monthly payments, then turn in your iPhone 5S/C (in an undamaged condition) to get the remaining balance on that phone forgiven, and get the iPhone 6 next year and start over with your monthly payments.

Keep in mind that policies can change.  What is in place now may not be in place a year from now.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (5,673 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 6:49:58 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    I think they did away with the $250+ early upgrade option. I got my 5 on launch day last year, and my only upgrade option right now at was full price, and the full upgrade in Sept 2014.

4 of 5 (5,656 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 7:32:40 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

dwill05 wrote:
    I think they did away with the $250+ early upgrade option. I got my 5 on launch day last year, and my only upgrade option right now at was full price, and the full upgrade in Sept 2014.

I can upgrade to a 16GB iPhone 5S for $449 now, which would be early upgrade pricing.  Here are the statements that show for my upgrade status:

AT&T Upgrade Status:
    This line is not eligible for a standard upgrade at this time. You can get a device at full price. This line may be eligible for a standard upgrade on 03/09/2014
    • This line is ineligible for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade.

iPhone Upgrade Status:
    • This line is eligible for an early upgrade with a partial discount off the full price when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. A $36 upgrade fee will apply. Early iPhone upgrade pricing is available online today while all other devices are available for early upgrade pricing in AT&T retail stores or via 611. This line may be eligible for an upgrade with our best pricing on
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (5,602 Views)