Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 18, 2013
1:52:26 PM
View profile
HTC one X cracked screen. 2 weeks old!

I purchased the HTC One X on Jan. 2, 2013. I've used and love the phone for 2 weeks now, when suddenly my screen cracks! 

Now When I upgraded, I didn't purchase the insurance on the phone because I'm overly cautious with my phones, so I didn't see the need for it... Now, I don't know how the screen broke, It was in my back pocket, where I've always keeps my phones, I looked at it one minute, and it was fine, no more than 15 minutes later I look again and the screen is cracked, and webbed to the edges.

My question to the community, to keep this short... Is this; What options to I have for phone replacement/repair? When it took it to the local AT&T store the employee gave me a cold shoulder and said there was nothing that could be done, that I'd have to find some way myself of having it replaced or repaired. 

I'd like to just add the insurance to the phone, and have it replaced seeing as I'm within the 30 days time to do so. But I'm unaware of how to go about it.  Any tips?

I purchased the HTC One X on Jan. 2, 2013. I've used and love the phone for 2 weeks now, when suddenly my screen cracks! 

Now When I upgraded, I didn't purchase the insurance on the phone because I'm overly cautious with my phones, so I didn't see the need for it... Now, I don't know how the screen broke, It was in my back pocket, where I've always keeps my phones, I looked at it one minute, and it was fine, no more than 15 minutes later I look again and the screen is cracked, and webbed to the edges.

My question to the community, to keep this short... Is this; What options to I have for phone replacement/repair? When it took it to the local AT&T store the employee gave me a cold shoulder and said there was nothing that could be done, that I'd have to find some way myself of having it replaced or repaired. 

I'd like to just add the insurance to the phone, and have it replaced seeing as I'm within the 30 days time to do so. But I'm unaware of how to go about it.  Any tips?

HTC one X cracked screen. 2 weeks old!

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 7:09:46 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Jan 18, 2013 at 7:13:59 PM

s6smarti wrote:

I would have to say that the reason your screen cracked and webbed was because you had it in your back pocket. 

By you posting on the forum that your screen is already broken and now you want to purchase insurance for it, is basically insurance fraud, IMO...and it's posted here for everyone to see...Proof!  Sorry, maybe I'm just too honest of a person...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

s6smarti wrote:

I would have to say that the reason your screen cracked and webbed was because you had it in your back pocket. 

By you posting on the forum that your screen is already broken and now you want to purchase insurance for it, is basically insurance fraud, IMO...and it's posted here for everyone to see...Proof!  Sorry, maybe I'm just too honest of a person...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Re: HTC one X cracked screen. 2 weeks old!

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (9,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 10:15:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi, I had exactly the same. Suddenly my screen was broken in a lot of pieces. I am now trying to collect experiences of users with the same complaint and push HTC to solve this issue.

Hi, I had exactly the same. Suddenly my screen was broken in a lot of pieces. I am now trying to collect experiences of users with the same complaint and push HTC to solve this issue.

3 of 10 (9,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2013 1:05:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

What is absurd is AT&T/HTC never offered to sell cases for these phones because they think the glass is durable enough to not need them.

What is absurd is AT&T/HTC never offered to sell cases for these phones because they think the glass is durable enough to not need them.

4 of 10 (9,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2013 2:21:10 PM
(0)
Expert

Gator626 wrote:

HTC is a phone manufacturer, never seen them market a case that they made for any of their phones, more logical to allow 3rd party manufactures that are setup for that type of assembly line to do it. ATT does market cases for the phone, not a large selection but they do offer them for sale - under the heading of accessories.

Gator626 wrote:

HTC is a phone manufacturer, never seen them market a case that they made for any of their phones, more logical to allow 3rd party manufactures that are setup for that type of assembly line to do it. ATT does market cases for the phone, not a large selection but they do offer them for sale - under the heading of accessories.

5 of 10 (9,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2013 5:05:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

I got the following message from Gorilla Glas. Unfortunately I can't particpate as I am living in Europe

Subject: Registration Form

Good Day

We are sorry to hear that you've had a problem with your device. While Corning® Gorilla® Glass is better able to survive the real-world events that most commonly cause glass to scratch, chip or break, no glass is indestructible. We recommend you contact your device manufacturer to review your warranty or repair options.

Although Corning does not have a device replacement or repair program, our labs do occasionally take noticeably damaged devices for testing. If you are interested in being considered for this program, please click on the link and register. As an incentive to participate in the program, Corning offers gift cards ranging from $200 up to full replacement value of the device, based on the make, model and study criteria.

Please note that not all devices will be selected for testing. Please note that Corning will not repair or return your device and assumes you are in agreement with the terms listed above when we receive the device in the mail.

Click here to submit your registration

I got the following message from Gorilla Glas. Unfortunately I can't particpate as I am living in Europe

Subject: Registration Form

Good Day

We are sorry to hear that you've had a problem with your device. While Corning® Gorilla® Glass is better able to survive the real-world events that most commonly cause glass to scratch, chip or break, no glass is indestructible. We recommend you contact your device manufacturer to review your warranty or repair options.

Although Corning does not have a device replacement or repair program, our labs do occasionally take noticeably damaged devices for testing. If you are interested in being considered for this program, please click on the link and register. As an incentive to participate in the program, Corning offers gift cards ranging from $200 up to full replacement value of the device, based on the make, model and study criteria.

Please note that not all devices will be selected for testing. Please note that Corning will not repair or return your device and assumes you are in agreement with the terms listed above when we receive the device in the mail.

Click here to submit your registration

6 of 10 (8,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 5:41:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with At&t and HTC. My phone cracked while I was on the phone with them trying to resolve and issue. An they are trying to make me pay for the repair expense, which I wouldn't mind if I actually cracked the screen. It's not my fault the device overheated and the screen cracked since they were the one's I was on the phone with for 3 hours. SMH

I'm having the same problem with At&t and HTC. My phone cracked while I was on the phone with them trying to resolve and issue. An they are trying to make me pay for the repair expense, which I wouldn't mind if I actually cracked the screen. It's not my fault the device overheated and the screen cracked since they were the one's I was on the phone with for 3 hours. SMH

7 of 10 (5,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 5:26:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
My sons screen cracked as well. One of the reasons I chose this phone is because it was suppose to have the gorilla glass.
My sons screen cracked as well. One of the reasons I chose this phone is because it was suppose to have the gorilla glass.

8 of 10 (4,800 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:17:13 AM
(0)
Professor

T33p33 wrote:

Gorilla glass only provides some added scratch resistance. It will crack/shatter just like any other glass screen.

T33p33 wrote:

Gorilla glass only provides some added scratch resistance. It will crack/shatter just like any other glass screen.

9 of 10 (4,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:04:04 AM
(0)
Expert

T33p33 wrote:

as mentioned if you look on Cornings website, it states damage resistant, they make no claims about it being unbreakable. Unfortunately unless you have insurance you will need to contact the manufacturer of the phone about a possible warrenty repair or locate one of the 3rd party companies that are popping up for phone repair.

T33p33 wrote:

as mentioned if you look on Cornings website, it states damage resistant, they make no claims about it being unbreakable. Unfortunately unless you have insurance you will need to contact the manufacturer of the phone about a possible warrenty repair or locate one of the 3rd party companies that are popping up for phone repair.

10 of 10 (4,223 Views)