GoPhone plan for iPhone 5S?

Scholar

GoPhone plan for iPhone 5S?

I am giving a friend of mine for her birthday an [unlocked] iPhone 5S.

I have some done some inquiries and she has the $50 smartphone prepaid plan that gives her unlimited talk, domestic and international messaging. But this plan has no data (it says WiFi only).

I was under the impression that iPhones were required to have a valid data plan or has this changed? Will she have any problems using the phone?

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: GoPhone plan for iPhone 5S?

I'm not aware of any requirement that prepaid iPhone needs a data plan. Smartphone plan yes, which the $50 smartphone plan obviously is.

Also, iPhone itself can function just fine with data disabled, it's less fun to use when there's no Wi-Fi but it's certainly still a capable phone, but she shouldn't have any problems using voice/text (the phone will automatically fall back to SMS instead of iMessage for all texting needs).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Master

dmapr is correct - prepaid smartphones such as iPhones are not required to have a qualifying data plan unlike postpaid smartphones. Hence, one of the benefits of prepaid. Smiley Happy

Your friend should have no problem using the phone for texting, calling, and Wi-Fi browsing purposes. She would have to switch to a different plan if she were interested in using a data package. Data packages are not available for smartphones on the $50/monthly plan.

On another note, it is very kind of you to grant such a gift for your friend. I am sure she will appreciate it very much!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Scholar

Interesting. I haven't used prepaid before, so I didn't know you can get smartphone plan without data on prepaid.. Personally I can't imagine using the iPhone without any form of 3G data since I'm often away from WiFi.

I asked if she wanted to switch to the $60 plan, but she says she is always on WiFi and when she isn't she is not concerned that much about using her phone.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 4 of 5
Master

Sounds like she's good to go, then! Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support