GoPhone Tethering Possible????

Contributor

GoPhone Tethering Possible????

Hi there,

 

I am an international tourist visiting the US for 3 weeks. I have an Iphone 5 and an Ipad Mini Wi-Fi. My goal was to look for a prepaid service to use on my Iphone which allows tethering for my Wifi Ipad Mini. I have been researching extensively about GoPhone plans but i am alittle confuse as to whether tethering is available.

 

Some forums said they don't but those post/answers are 2 years old, and some places say they do allow tethering now for iphone. Can someone please provide me with more information? So if i am to purchase a GOPhone plan, can i use tethering?

 

If the answer is no are there any other plans that allows tethering like say the Mobile Share Value Plan?

 

Cheers

Message 1 of 5 (959 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: GoPhone Tethering Possible????

[ Edited ]

touristus wrote:

Hi there,

 

I am an international tourist visiting the US for 3 weeks. I have an Iphone 5 and an Ipad Mini Wi-Fi. My goal was to look for a prepaid service to use on my Iphone which allows tethering for my Wifi Ipad Mini. I have been researching extensively about GoPhone plans but i am alittle confuse as to whether tethering is available.

 

Some forums said they don't but those post/answers are 2 years old, and some places say they do allow tethering now for iphone. Can someone please provide me with more information? So if i am to purchase a GOPhone plan, can i use tethering?

 

If the answer is no are there any other plans that allows tethering like say the Mobile Share Value Plan?

 

Cheers


It has never been made clear with regards to a GoPhone. It is not against the T&C as the T&C is written (it forbids tethering with unlimited data but no such plans exist for a Smartphone among GoPhone plans), but whether or not the phone will be able to start a WiFi hotspot with a GoPhone SIM is a mystery.

Mobile Share Value does allow tethering, but it's not clear whether you can buy it for a single month and then cancel, as well as all of billing details.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (925 Views)
Expert

Re: GoPhone Tethering Possible????


dmapr wrote:

touristus wrote:

Hi there,

 

I am an international tourist visiting the US for 3 weeks. I have an Iphone 5 and an Ipad Mini Wi-Fi. My goal was to look for a prepaid service to use on my Iphone which allows tethering for my Wifi Ipad Mini. I have been researching extensively about GoPhone plans but i am alittle confuse as to whether tethering is available.

 

Some forums said they don't but those post/answers are 2 years old, and some places say they do allow tethering now for iphone. Can someone please provide me with more information? So if i am to purchase a GOPhone plan, can i use tethering?

 

If the answer is no are there any other plans that allows tethering like say the Mobile Share Value Plan?

 

Cheers


It has never been made clear with regards to a GoPhone. It is not against the T&C as the T&C is written (it forbids tethering with unlimited data but no such plans exist for a Smartphone among GoPhone plans), but whether or not the phone will be able to start a WiFi hotspot with a GoPhone SIM is a mystery.

Mobile Share Value does allow tethering, but it's not clear whether you can buy it for a single month and then cancel, as well as all of billing details.


don't thnk it is allowed - from the data terms of service for a att gophone, the hightlight section pretty much indicates that tethering is unreasonable use

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

 

 

Unlimited Voice & Data Services: UNLIMITED DOES NOT MEAN UNREASONABLE USE. Unlimited voice services are provided for live dialogue between two individuals. Unreasonable use includes, but is not limited to, multi-party calling (separate calls initiated by you but not bridged together), reselling of
service through the use of external equipment (i.e., Simbox or any other type of equipment that allows reselling of service) or by tethering GoPhone service, monitoring services, data transmissions, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live dialogue between two individuals. Unlimited data service is available with qualified plans and only on eligible basic phones. Unreasonable use includes, but is not limited to tethering the phone to another phone, computer, modem or other equipment for the purpose of using data services. If
you are on a rate plan that includes unlimited voice or data, we have the right, at our discretion, to terminate your account for any excessive or abusive use.

 

 

Message 3 of 5 (917 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: GoPhone Tethering Possible????


wingrider01 wrote:

don't thnk it is allowed - from the data terms of service for a att gophone, the hightlight section pretty much indicates that tethering is unreasonable use

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

 

 

Unlimited Voice & Data Services: UNLIMITED DOES NOT MEAN UNREASONABLE USE. Unlimited voice services are provided for live dialogue between two individuals. Unreasonable use includes, but is not limited to, multi-party calling (separate calls initiated by you but not bridged together), reselling of
service through the use of external equipment (i.e., Simbox or any other type of equipment that allows reselling of service) or by tethering GoPhone service, monitoring services, data transmissions, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live dialogue between two individuals. Unlimited data service is available with qualified plans and only on eligible basic phones. Unreasonable use includes, but is not limited to tethering the phone to another phone, computer, modem or other equipment for the purpose of using data services. If
you are on a rate plan that includes unlimited voice or data, we have the right, at our discretion, to terminate your account for any excessive or abusive use. 


I don't see where in this section it says that tethering with a limited bucket plan is unreasonable use. In fact, the entire quoted section has absolutely nothing to do with a limited bucket plan as it talks specifically about unlimited voice & data plans.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5 (888 Views)
Teacher

Re: GoPhone Tethering Possible????

No the data you paid for your plan on the Gophone service can only be used with device where your sim is located. No Tethering is NOT available on prepaid. If you need no contract service with the ability to share your data, think of the new plan offered by att postpaid department. Note 2GB=$55 and unlimited talk and text=$25 which is equal to $80, plus $36 activation fee.
Message 5 of 5 (816 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.