Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 12, 2013
9:04:51 PM
Glad AT&T is doing so well they don't need this Verizon customer...

Years ago my wife and I were Verizon customers. When the iPhone came out only on AT&T we became customers and transferred our long-held phone numbers; about 3 years later, when the phone finally arrived on Verizon, we switched back and transferred those same numbers back to Verizon.

After having dealt with Verizon again for the last 2.5 years, we’re quite unhappy; compared to AT&T we have far more dropped or marginal calls. Since our Verizon contract is up, we decided to take advantage of the deals on the now-discontinued iPhone 5 and at the same time switch back to AT&T.

Imagine our surprise when we went into Wal-Mart (a 90-minute round-trip from our house, BTW) and asked to buy two phones and transfer our numbers. The clerk was quite helpful, set up a new account for us, then had a puzzled look: AT&T’s system wouldn’t transfer our phone numbers!

She called AT&T’s dealer line, where (after a 35-minute conversation) the AT&T rep concluded that  they couldn’t transfer the numbers because we didn’t have an active AT&T line! She explained that we were setting up a new account and needed to transfer the numbers over, and until we did so there wouldn’t be an active line! The AT&T rep told her that there was nothing they could do, that we had to have an active line to bring our phone numbers over.

We're no longer bound to our Verizon contract and we've had these numbers for about 15 years. We're not about to give them up now!

Any AT&T people care to comment, or should we just let Verizon take our money instead?

Years ago my wife and I were Verizon customers. When the iPhone came out only on AT&T we became customers and transferred our long-held phone numbers; about 3 years later, when the phone finally arrived on Verizon, we switched back and transferred those same numbers back to Verizon.

After having dealt with Verizon again for the last 2.5 years, we’re quite unhappy; compared to AT&T we have far more dropped or marginal calls. Since our Verizon contract is up, we decided to take advantage of the deals on the now-discontinued iPhone 5 and at the same time switch back to AT&T.

Imagine our surprise when we went into Wal-Mart (a 90-minute round-trip from our house, BTW) and asked to buy two phones and transfer our numbers. The clerk was quite helpful, set up a new account for us, then had a puzzled look: AT&T’s system wouldn’t transfer our phone numbers!

She called AT&T’s dealer line, where (after a 35-minute conversation) the AT&T rep concluded that  they couldn’t transfer the numbers because we didn’t have an active AT&T line! She explained that we were setting up a new account and needed to transfer the numbers over, and until we did so there wouldn’t be an active line! The AT&T rep told her that there was nothing they could do, that we had to have an active line to bring our phone numbers over.

We're no longer bound to our Verizon contract and we've had these numbers for about 15 years. We're not about to give them up now!

Any AT&T people care to comment, or should we just let Verizon take our money instead?

Glad AT&T is doing so well they don't need this Verizon customer...

31 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 9:38:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Oh no! Hopefully this can be fixed. This is why it's always better to order from an AT&T corporate store or online, because sometimes authorized dealers may have issues with upgrades or system hiccups.

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

AT&T customer care can also be found online through these channels.

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Oh no! Hopefully this can be fixed. This is why it's always better to order from an AT&T corporate store or online, because sometimes authorized dealers may have issues with upgrades or system hiccups.

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

AT&T customer care can also be found online through these channels.

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Glad AT&T is doing so well they don't need this Verizon customer...

2 of 32 (2,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 6:59:04 AM
(0)
Expert

Annoyed in Oregon wrote:

I wou.d suggest tht you bite the bullet and go into a real att store, if is federal law that numbers can be ported no matter what, as long as the verizon lines where still active there is no reason why they cannot be ported to att.  You do not need an "actoce att" line at all. You may pay a little more for the phone but it will be handled by someone that knows what they are doing. By the way thr Iphone 5 is NOT discontinued

Annoyed in Oregon wrote:

I wou.d suggest tht you bite the bullet and go into a real att store, if is federal law that numbers can be ported no matter what, as long as the verizon lines where still active there is no reason why they cannot be ported to att.  You do not need an "actoce att" line at all. You may pay a little more for the phone but it will be handled by someone that knows what they are doing. By the way thr Iphone 5 is NOT discontinued

3 of 32 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 7:31:21 AM
(0)
Former Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

By the way thr Iphone 5 is NOT discontinued

It will be interesting to see what happens this time around. In the past, when a new phone came out, they continued making the previous model but only in one size and price, 8GB. With the 5c priced for that lower end market, I wonder if they will bother with an 8GB version of the iphone 5?

wingrider01 wrote:

By the way thr Iphone 5 is NOT discontinued

It will be interesting to see what happens this time around. In the past, when a new phone came out, they continued making the previous model but only in one size and price, 8GB. With the 5c priced for that lower end market, I wonder if they will bother with an 8GB version of the iphone 5?

4 of 32 (1,951 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 8:02:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Apple is replacing the iPhone 5 with the iPhone 5C.  The following is copied from the Apple announcement on 9/10/13:

10:22 am: "In the past, when we introduced a new iPhone, we lowered the price of the old iPhone. This year, we're not going to do that."

10:22 am: "This year, we're going to replace the iPhone 5."

This meets my definition of "discontinued".

Apple is replacing the iPhone 5 with the iPhone 5C.  The following is copied from the Apple announcement on 9/10/13:

10:22 am: "In the past, when we introduced a new iPhone, we lowered the price of the old iPhone. This year, we're not going to do that."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 32 (1,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 8:42:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
The 5C is basically the iPhone 5 in my opinion. Yes it has more bands, more color choices and maybe even a very little slight enhanced battery and hardware, not too much of a difference. I saw it more like a marketing gimmick on Apple's part. $549 isn't cheap enough Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
The 5C is basically the iPhone 5 in my opinion. Yes it has more bands, more color choices and maybe even a very little slight enhanced battery and hardware, not too much of a difference. I saw it more like a marketing gimmick on Apple's part. $549 isn't cheap enough Smiley Tongue

6 of 32 (1,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 9:49:29 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 13, 2013 at 9:53:03 AM

21stNow wrote:

Supposedly the iphone 5 will continue to be available, they are not reducing the price as they have done in the past. The 5S and 5C have been met with a meeeh in the financial world - for the first time Apple shares dropped in price almost immediately after the presentation began at 10 a.m., and shortly after it ended was off nearly $11 to $495.36, a loss of over 2%.The stock dipped further as investors had time to digest the news, losing $13.79, or 2.72%, to trade at $492.38.But the stock wound up gaining some ground to close at $494.64, still down $11.53, or 2.28%. that is almost 35 Billion dollars, the market analyst's are calling it the IPhlop. Historicly Apple stock has gone up after the announcment of a new Apple device until public opinion goes back to normal

21stNow wrote:

Supposedly the iphone 5 will continue to be available, they are not reducing the price as they have done in the past. The 5S and 5C have been met with a meeeh in the financial world - for the first time Apple shares dropped in price almost immediately after the presentation began at 10 a.m., and shortly after it ended was off nearly $11 to $495.36, a loss of over 2%.The stock dipped further as investors had time to digest the news, losing $13.79, or 2.72%, to trade at $492.38.But the stock wound up gaining some ground to close at $494.64, still down $11.53, or 2.28%. that is almost 35 Billion dollars, the market analyst's are calling it the IPhlop. Historicly Apple stock has gone up after the announcment of a new Apple device until public opinion goes back to normal

[ Edited ]
7 of 32 (1,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 10:24:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
They did announce they weren't gonna do the whole offer new iPhone and reduce the previous model.. I think they are replacing it with the 5C since its very similar to the old iPhone 5.. Stock is falling as we speak but maybe, somehow, someway the 5S will help them, despite the meeeh entry to the financial side of things
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
They did announce they weren't gonna do the whole offer new iPhone and reduce the previous model.. I think they are replacing it with the 5C since its very similar to the old iPhone 5.. Stock is falling as we speak but maybe, somehow, someway the 5S will help them, despite the meeeh entry to the financial side of things

8 of 32 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:33:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The iPhone 5 will only continue to be available until the existing stock is depleted.  I'm failing to see what is hard to understand about this.

The iPhone 4S was announced on 10/4/11.  That day, Apple's stock price finished lower.

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

The iPhone 5 will only continue to be available until the existing stock is depleted.  I'm failing to see what is hard to understand about this.

The iPhone 4S was announced on 10/4/11.  That day, Apple's stock price finished lower.

9 of 32 (1,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 7:32:31 PM
(0)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

not as low as the drop on this anouncement at close of trading today it is at 464.90, on Sept 9th the stock was 502.36, the stock is still going down. The stock prices have dropped on release day, true but never before the official announcement of the new devices nor has the drop continued for so long after the announcement, time to consider a buy order

I just read that, wonder why they decided to discontinue the 5 and still keep the 4S

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

not as low as the drop on this anouncement at close of trading today it is at 464.90, on Sept 9th the stock was 502.36, the stock is still going down. The stock prices have dropped on release day, true but never before the official announcement of the new devices nor has the drop continued for so long after the announcement, time to consider a buy order

I just read that, wonder why they decided to discontinue the 5 and still keep the 4S

10 of 32 (1,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 5:42:52 PM
(0)
Guru
Sounds like in this case it will be easier and much less of a hassle to deal directly with att. Sometimes the third parties seem to have all the glitches during the process. I made the mistake of signing up through best buy. Took a while to get the account right. Att corporate store was much better to deal with.

I'd be surprised if the 5 was discontinued already but I guess anything is
Sounds like in this case it will be easier and much less of a hassle to deal directly with att. Sometimes the third parties seem to have all the glitches during the process. I made the mistake of signing up through best buy. Took a while to get the account right. Att corporate store was much better to deal with.

11 of 32 (1,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 4:24:16 AM
(0)
Expert

mikewho wrote:

The 5 is not even available at the Apple Store, you can order the 4S, pre-order the 5C or look at the 5S

mikewho wrote:

The 5 is not even available at the Apple Store, you can order the 4S, pre-order the 5C or look at the 5S

12 of 32 (1,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 5:17:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah, Apple has done some weird things lately. I think the 5C was smart and stupid at the same time. My only issue was the 5 being dropped. Would have been cool if the 5 was $99, 5C $50, 4S $0 and 5S $199. They could have really increased market share. But...THEY...are thinking of money like a company should.

But I think marketshare is more important at this point.

Yeah, Apple has done some weird things lately. I think the 5C was smart and stupid at the same time. My only issue was the 5 being dropped. Would have been cool if the 5 was $99, 5C $50, 4S $0 and 5S $199. They could have really increased market share. But...THEY...are thinking of money like a company should.

13 of 32 (1,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 10:02:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

I'm sorry but every word of this is baloney.

Apple stock ALWAYS dips slightly after announcements because investors are crazy and even a flying car wouldn't live up to their expectations. This is absolutely not the first time this has happened.

The iPhone 5 is indeed discontinued and replaced by the 5C.

Apple sold a record 9 million phones after they announced the 5S and 5C. People calling it the "iPhlop" are just Samsheep and other Android fanboys looking for an excuse to bash Apple.

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Apple stock ALWAYS dips slightly after announcements because investors are crazy and even a flying car wouldn't live up to their expectations. This is absolutely not the first time this has happened.

Apple sold a record 9 million phones after they announced the 5S and 5C. People calling it the "iPhlop" are just Samsheep and other Android fanboys looking for an excuse to bash Apple.

14 of 32 (1,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 11:08:45 AM
(0)
Expert

neo979 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

you might want to look at the date of the post, another incorrect assumption - I detest android, we don;t even develop for that phone operatiing system. Have a good day

neo979 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

you might want to look at the date of the post, another incorrect assumption - I detest android, we don;t even develop for that phone operatiing system. Have a good day

15 of 32 (1,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 9:51:33 PM
(0)
Employee
The problem the OP had was simple to resolve. Create an account with new numbers, walk into a corporate store or call the porting department and have the numbers moved to the account replacing the others. No need to turn this into a Android/Apple battle. Most consumers dont care and its all preference. It you want simplicity, straightforwardness and stability go with Apple... Just be aware they are very proprietary. If you want larger screens and personalization go with Android, also with expandable storage.
The problem the OP had was simple to resolve. Create an account with new numbers, walk into a corporate store or call the porting department and have the numbers moved to the account replacing the others. No need to turn this into a Android/Apple battle. Most consumers dont care and its all preference. It you want simplicity, straightforwardness and stability go with Apple... Just be aware they are very proprietary. If you want larger screens and personalization go with Android, also with expandable storage.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 32 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 12:32:13 PM
(0)
Guru

Why would the newer 5C be cheaper than the old 5? Nothing about this post makes much sense, as having 3 phones in such a narrow price range would do little except cannibalize the sales of their higher end models. Market share is not that important to Apple, especially so long as their phones continue to be wildly profitable.

Linkgx1 wrote:

Why would the newer 5C be cheaper than the old 5? Nothing about this post makes much sense, as having 3 phones in such a narrow price range would do little except cannibalize the sales of their higher end models. Market share is not that important to Apple, especially so long as their phones continue to be wildly profitable.

Linkgx1 wrote:

17 of 32 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 12:35:14 PM
(0)
Guru

Apple introduces a new product - their stock dips.

Apple announces their quarterly earnings, which include another wildly profitable quarter that doesn't quite mean analysts' (unreasonable) expectations - their stock dips.

Stock analysts are prone to the worst kind of group-think. It almost seems like they try to attribute some kind of dramatic narrative to the behavior of stock prices, especially with respect to product announcements and earning reports.

neo979 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Apple announces their quarterly earnings, which include another wildly profitable quarter that doesn't quite mean analysts' (unreasonable) expectations - their stock dips.

Stock analysts are prone to the worst kind of group-think. It almost seems like they try to attribute some kind of dramatic narrative to the behavior of stock prices, especially with respect to product announcements and earning reports.

neo979 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

18 of 32 (1,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 1:50:34 PM
(0)
Expert

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

It dropped substnacially enough to execute the buy order that I had pending, which was substancially lower then what the stock was selling for prior to the annoucement/release

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

It dropped substnacially enough to execute the buy order that I had pending, which was substancially lower then what the stock was selling for prior to the annoucement/release

19 of 32 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2013 6:10:05 PM
(0)
Employee
The excessive drop most likely has to do with what every smartphone manufacturer is struggling with: saturation. Until recently all carriers or only offered 2 year contracts yet manufacturers put out phones yearly, it was bound to catch up.
The excessive drop most likely has to do with what every smartphone manufacturer is struggling with: saturation. Until recently all carriers or only offered 2 year contracts yet manufacturers put out phones yearly, it was bound to catch up.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 32 (1,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:16:20 AM
(0)
Expert

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

huh, your comment makes no sense at all

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

huh, your comment makes no sense at all

21 of 32 (1,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:33:04 AM
(0)
Employee
You're telling me the fact that everyone who wants a smartphone now has a smartphone and more than likely on a 2 year contract that when a manufacturer puts out phones yearly that that has nothing to do with this scenario?
You're telling me the fact that everyone who wants a smartphone now has a smartphone and more than likely on a 2 year contract that when a manufacturer puts out phones yearly that that has nothing to do with this scenario?

22 of 32 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:37:47 AM
(0)
Expert

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

given the statistics of the world growth population - yes. Have twin daughters that don;t have a smartphone yet, but they want one. Not every one in the world wants the latest and greatest toy year in year out, that is just a entitled attitude.

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

given the statistics of the world growth population - yes. Have twin daughters that don;t have a smartphone yet, but they want one. Not every one in the world wants the latest and greatest toy year in year out, that is just a entitled attitude.

23 of 32 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:50:34 AM
(0)
Employee
I did not say they do. My point is market saturation.
I did not say they do. My point is market saturation.

24 of 32 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 8:57:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

I don't think that it's an entitled attitude if one is willing to pay for it.  Then again, you threw a dart at me personally, so I'm sure that my opinion is biased.

wingrider01 wrote:

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

I don't think that it's an entitled attitude if one is willing to pay for it.  Then again, you threw a dart at me personally, so I'm sure that my opinion is biased.

25 of 32 (1,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:07:40 PM
(0)
Employee
Wing, to make up for you're twin daughters there is plenty of people, actually a high percentage, that carry more than one device. I am one of them.

21st, are you referring to me?
Wing, to make up for you're twin daughters there is plenty of people, actually a high percentage, that carry more than one device. I am one of them.

26 of 32 (1,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:08:19 PM
(0)
Employee
Sorry, read that wrong
Sorry, read that wrong

27 of 32 (1,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 7:29:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

No, I was addressing Wingrider's comment.

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:

No, I was addressing Wingrider's comment.

28 of 32 (1,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 10:10:12 PM
(0)
Employee
Caught that after. It has come to my attention that wing is a 10+ year customer of Sprint...

Why is it you are all over the att forums? Genuinely curious
Caught that after. It has come to my attention that wing is a 10+ year customer of Sprint...

Why is it you are all over the att forums? Genuinely curious

29 of 32 (1,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 10:49:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Wing has an account with ATT and Sprint (Verizon too I think) naturally, so he knows his stuff! Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Wing has an account with ATT and Sprint (Verizon too I think) naturally, so he knows his stuff! Smiley Happy

30 of 32 (1,187 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments