Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 2, 2013
12:56:51 AM
View profile
Garbled (robot) audio
Edited by peanutlasko on Dec 2, 2013 at 12:57:37 AM

I've had the same microcell that I got back in 2010 and recently started using it again. I'm using a Nexus 5 and running into the same issues I had back in 2010:

The person on the other line of the call states that my voice sounds garbled or robotic.

Rebooting the phone, Microcell, etc do not fix

Rebooting internet, router, etc do not fix

Erasing phone, restoring to stock, etc do not fix

The current fix for the problem is to disable Cell phone data (3G/4G) and the audio issues go away.

Wondering if I should have my microcell replaced if there has been any fixes or updates since 2010. I know that this is NOT a phone/ISP problem as I've used an Iphone 4 in 2010 and was using comcast at the time. 

You can read more info here from 2010 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2490735?start=15&tstart=0)

If anyone has suggestions or tips, please let me know.

I've had the same microcell that I got back in 2010 and recently started using it again. I'm using a Nexus 5 and running into the same issues I had back in 2010:

The person on the other line of the call states that my voice sounds garbled or robotic.

Rebooting the phone, Microcell, etc do not fix

Rebooting internet, router, etc do not fix

Erasing phone, restoring to stock, etc do not fix

The current fix for the problem is to disable Cell phone data (3G/4G) and the audio issues go away.

Wondering if I should have my microcell replaced if there has been any fixes or updates since 2010. I know that this is NOT a phone/ISP problem as I've used an Iphone 4 in 2010 and was using comcast at the time. 

You can read more info here from 2010 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2490735?start=15&tstart=0)

If anyone has suggestions or tips, please let me know.

Garbled (robot) audio

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 9:02:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, you had the same problem in 2010 with an iPhone 4, stopped using the MicroCell, and are now using a Nexus 5 and the problem has reappeared, correct? I'm assuming then, as now, either the iPhone 4 or the Nexus 5 worked just fine outside of MicroCell range.

Usually poor voice quality is a line issue (taps, latency, etc). Disabling cellular restricts cellular data to WiFi, which includes email, web browsing, push notifications, etc. 3G/4G/LTE is still active on the phone (at least it is for the iPhone) so cellular calls can still be made.

How do you have your MicroCell setup, what are your speeds, what kind of service do you have?

If it is a defective MicroCell, they can't be repaired and if you bought this in 2010, the warranty has long since expired.

I leave WiFi on all of the time on my phone so when at home, calls are restricted to the cellular and all data is done via WiFi, which doesn't affect my monthly usage.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Ok, you had the same problem in 2010 with an iPhone 4, stopped using the MicroCell, and are now using a Nexus 5 and the problem has reappeared, correct? I'm assuming then, as now, either the iPhone 4 or the Nexus 5 worked just fine outside of MicroCell range.

Usually poor voice quality is a line issue (taps, latency, etc). Disabling cellular restricts cellular data to WiFi, which includes email, web browsing, push notifications, etc. 3G/4G/LTE is still active on the phone (at least it is for the iPhone) so cellular calls can still be made.

How do you have your MicroCell setup, what are your speeds, what kind of service do you have?

If it is a defective MicroCell, they can't be repaired and if you bought this in 2010, the warranty has long since expired.

I leave WiFi on all of the time on my phone so when at home, calls are restricted to the cellular and all data is done via WiFi, which doesn't affect my monthly usage.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Garbled (robot) audio

2 of 5 (1,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 8:34:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'd say that the problem is most likely with the quality of the ISP service.  Garbled or robot voice is typically caused by jitter.  In the VOIP world,  jitter is the variation in the time between voice packets arriving, caused by network congestion, timing drift, or route changes.  This delay, if bad enough, will cause voice packets to be dropped.  VOIP hardware/firmware, when faced with these dropped voice packets will try to make up the lost packets with predictive insertion of voice packets of its own making.  The result is a robotic sounding voice.

I would recommend you call your ISP and describe your problem and ask them to do a line check on your internet connection to see if there are any packet loss problems or other line quality issues.  If it is a ISP hardware problem, hopefully they can fix it.  If it is due to network congestion, that is a more serious problem that the ISP may not be able to address in the short term.

I'd say that the problem is most likely with the quality of the ISP service.  Garbled or robot voice is typically caused by jitter.  In the VOIP world,  jitter is the variation in the time between voice packets arriving, caused by network congestion, timing drift, or route changes.  This delay, if bad enough, will cause voice packets to be dropped.  VOIP hardware/firmware, when faced with these dropped voice packets will try to make up the lost packets with predictive insertion of voice packets of its own making.  The result is a robotic sounding voice.

I would recommend you call your ISP and describe your problem and ask them to do a line check on your internet connection to see if there are any packet loss problems or other line quality issues.  If it is a ISP hardware problem, hopefully they can fix it.  If it is due to network congestion, that is a more serious problem that the ISP may not be able to address in the short term.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:16:38 AM
(0)
Mentor
I have the identical issue as the OP with the exception that I am using an iPhone 5s: http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/INTERMITTENT-CALL-DISTORTION-ON-RECEIVING-END-OF-MICROCELL-CAL... I just ran a voIP test and I came out with a perfect score - NO packet loss (0.00%) , Low (5.3ms), BUT, this was done a moment ago and not at the time of the last garbled robot voice my receiving party heard. I will have to remember to run a voIP test next this occurs. Please advise.
I have the identical issue as the OP with the exception that I am using an iPhone 5s: http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/INTERMITTENT-CALL-DISTORTION-ON-RECEIVING-END-OF-MICROCELL-CALL/td-p/3876331#.Uto25vaIbSw I just ran a voIP test and I came out with a perfect score - NO packet loss (0.00%) , Low (5.3ms), BUT, this was done a moment ago and not at the time of the last garbled robot voice my receiving party heard. I will have to remember to run a voIP test next this occurs. Please advise.

4 of 5 (1,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 8:42:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mcs2014 - you've posted this issue in another thread. For us to help you, please keep your posts to one thread. Otherwise it's difficult for us to keep the responses coherent and for others, who may have the same issue, to follow. VoIP tests on the user end are just a snapshot at that point in time and really aren't that useful if the problem is sporadic or at least not constant. You'd have to have your ISP monitor it from there end over a period of time.

mcs2014 - you've posted this issue in another thread. For us to help you, please keep your posts to one thread. Otherwise it's difficult for us to keep the responses coherent and for others, who may have the same issue, to follow. VoIP tests on the user end are just a snapshot at that point in time and really aren't that useful if the problem is sporadic or at least not constant. You'd have to have your ISP monitor it from there end over a period of time.

5 of 5 (1,229 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments