Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 30, 2013
8:59:45 AM
View profile
Galaxy S4 Message problem
Edited by bloodargon on Aug 30, 2013 at 9:18:38 AM

I am posting here on behalf of my girlfriend, an AT&T customer with the Galaxy S4. The other day, she was not receiving notifications for text messages, but would still receive them. We thought it was strange, but thought nothing of it. Last night we were fiddling with options, and everything was checked to have notifications on. The real fun started when sending a text message immediately resulted in a notification of 'message failed to send' in the top. This was instant error, instead of it trying to send, then greying out when it couldnt (as if lack of service). This has been going on despite all corrections we have tried to make, including battery pulls and sim card pulls. The only app changes we have made recently was adding a 3rd party lockscreen. This was necessary as the emergency dialer that is (stuck) on the lockscreen made her pocket dial 911 about 16 times over the past few weeks. However normal notifications can be received, phone calls can be placed and received while using this lockscreen, but anything related to text messages seems to be broken. Thinking it was the culprit, we removed all trace of it, cleared cache and data on several programs including the message app itself, but still no avail. The other odd thing is a 3rd party message app, same maker as lockscreen app, is unable to send messages either with same problem. Why would two separate apps be able to receive texts but not send them? I have scoured the internet for possible problems, and many people have said sim card issues have made things like texts not come thru, or not be able to be sent. So unless we can fix this on our own, we will be heading to a store by the end of the night.

Summary

- No notification on text/mms recieved, but still receives them.

- Unable to send text, instant failure regardless of number.

- All other phone functions work properly, internet, data, phonecalls, etc.

We have tried

- Clearing app data/cache, uninstalling potentially offending apps, sim pull, battery pull, alternate texting apps

Have yet to try

- Full factory reset, APN configuration, any sort of usb debugging/log reading, SIM swap with same plan phone.

Any help/links would be greatly appriciated.

I am posting here on behalf of my girlfriend, an AT&T customer with the Galaxy S4. The other day, she was not receiving notifications for text messages, but would still receive them. We thought it was strange, but thought nothing of it. Last night we were fiddling with options, and everything was checked to have notifications on. The real fun started when sending a text message immediately resulted in a notification of 'message failed to send' in the top. This was instant error, instead of it trying to send, then greying out when it couldnt (as if lack of service). This has been going on despite all corrections we have tried to make, including battery pulls and sim card pulls. The only app changes we have made recently was adding a 3rd party lockscreen. This was necessary as the emergency dialer that is (stuck) on the lockscreen made her pocket dial 911 about 16 times over the past few weeks. However normal notifications can be received, phone calls can be placed and received while using this lockscreen, but anything related to text messages seems to be broken. Thinking it was the culprit, we removed all trace of it, cleared cache and data on several programs including the message app itself, but still no avail. The other odd thing is a 3rd party message app, same maker as lockscreen app, is unable to send messages either with same problem. Why would two separate apps be able to receive texts but not send them? I have scoured the internet for possible problems, and many people have said sim card issues have made things like texts not come thru, or not be able to be sent. So unless we can fix this on our own, we will be heading to a store by the end of the night.

Summary

- No notification on text/mms recieved, but still receives them.

- Unable to send text, instant failure regardless of number.

- All other phone functions work properly, internet, data, phonecalls, etc.

We have tried

- Clearing app data/cache, uninstalling potentially offending apps, sim pull, battery pull, alternate texting apps

Have yet to try

- Full factory reset, APN configuration, any sort of usb debugging/log reading, SIM swap with same plan phone.

Any help/links would be greatly appriciated.

Galaxy S4 Message problem

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 11:39:34 AM
(0)
Professor

Could you be more specific about the sim card swap? If you take her sim card out of her phone and put it in your phone, can sms be sent and received on you phone with her number. When you put your sim card in her phone, can sms be sent and received on that phone with your number. This helps to determine if it is the sim card or not.

Could you be more specific about the sim card swap? If you take her sim card out of her phone and put it in your phone, can sms be sent and received on you phone with her number. When you put your sim card in her phone, can sms be sent and received on that phone with your number. This helps to determine if it is the sim card or not.

Re: Galaxy S4 Message problem

2 of 6 (28,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 11:54:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by bloodargon on Aug 30, 2013 at 11:54:19 AM

Well, that is the one thing we havn't tried yet. This is basically what would rule out the sim card, but its basically easier for us to go to the store for that vs waiting for the one person with a compatible sim to be here. In the same stroke, we did nothing but change some apps and basic settings, why would this upset the sim card, specificly for texting.

Well, that is the one thing we havn't tried yet. This is basically what would rule out the sim card, but its basically easier for us to go to the store for that vs waiting for the one person with a compatible sim to be here. In the same stroke, we did nothing but change some apps and basic settings, why would this upset the sim card, specificly for texting.

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (28,020 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 5:20:12 AM
(0)
Professor

bloodargon wrote:

I hope the store was able to get this fixed up for you. I was hoping you and your wife are both with AT&T and had compatible sim cards. I currently have have six devices on my plan and have always had multiple devices on my plan, so I have seen these type of issues before. In some cases it is the sim card and in others it turns out to be the device. A sim card can go defective at any given time. Switching sims between devices is just a good first step for troubleshooting, when availble to do so.

bloodargon wrote:

I hope the store was able to get this fixed up for you. I was hoping you and your wife are both with AT&T and had compatible sim cards. I currently have have six devices on my plan and have always had multiple devices on my plan, so I have seen these type of issues before. In some cases it is the sim card and in others it turns out to be the device. A sim card can go defective at any given time. Switching sims between devices is just a good first step for troubleshooting, when availble to do so.

4 of 6 (27,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 6:30:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

Recently without notifying anyone of this, AT&T pushed an update to the ATT Messaging app through the Google Play Store.  I had the same problem.  After much frustration I finally got through to a knowlable tech support manager (after much screaming, cursing, and having one incompetent person actually changing my voicemail settings to Visual Voicemail from Basic Voicemail and in the process deleting several very important saved voicemail messages.

You have to go to Settings, then to the Application Manager.  You have to select ATT Messaging.  Click the button to Uninstall Updates. After that click the button to Disable the app.  It will give you a bogus warning that this may cause problems with the system and other such blather.  Confirm your choice.  Exit Application Manager.  Open the Google Play Store.  Search for the ATT Messaging app.  Select the Install/Update option.  Go back to Settings > Application Manager > ATT Messaging.  Again, uninstall the updates and disable the application.  You may have to repeat this process twice to clear all remnants of the bogus update from your system.  

Then open the native Samsung text message application. Click the Menu button to the left of the Home button. Scroll down and select Settings. Scroll to the bottom then click the Menu button again.  This will bring up an option to reset the application to its default settings.  Confirm. The recustomize any notification settings such as sound, vibration, and preview on the lock screen and notification bar.  This will restore the notifications for text messaging.

Then call ATT and tell them to stop cramming apps on your phone that disble your selected applications.

Recently without notifying anyone of this, AT&T pushed an update to the ATT Messaging app through the Google Play Store.  I had the same problem.  After much frustration I finally got through to a knowlable tech support manager (after much screaming, cursing, and having one incompetent person actually changing my voicemail settings to Visual Voicemail from Basic Voicemail and in the process deleting several very important saved voicemail messages.

You have to go to Settings, then to the Application Manager.  You have to select ATT Messaging.  Click the button to Uninstall Updates. After that click the button to Disable the app.  It will give you a bogus warning that this may cause problems with the system and other such blather.  Confirm your choice.  Exit Application Manager.  Open the Google Play Store.  Search for the ATT Messaging app.  Select the Install/Update option.  Go back to Settings > Application Manager > ATT Messaging.  Again, uninstall the updates and disable the application.  You may have to repeat this process twice to clear all remnants of the bogus update from your system.  

Then open the native Samsung text message application. Click the Menu button to the left of the Home button. Scroll down and select Settings. Scroll to the bottom then click the Menu button again.  This will bring up an option to reset the application to its default settings.  Confirm. The recustomize any notification settings such as sound, vibration, and preview on the lock screen and notification bar.  This will restore the notifications for text messaging.

Then call ATT and tell them to stop cramming apps on your phone that disble your selected applications.

5 of 6 (27,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 12:26:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
As posted above.. uninstall att messages update.

And for outgoing trouble.. check message center number in messaging settings and make sure it says +13123149810 (+ is important)
As posted above.. uninstall att messages update.

And for outgoing trouble.. check message center number in messaging settings and make sure it says +13123149810 (+ is important)

6 of 6 (27,634 Views)