Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2013
10:32:45 PM
View profile
Galaxy Note 3 Users

I just sent a message to the Admins about the connection issues. However, if all of you who are having Note 3 issues will send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig), that will certainly give weight to the issue and might get the engineers in gear. Phone support creates a ticket and sends it up the chain but CustomerCare is a more direct line further up. Just include your issue in detail, account info and location.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

I just sent a message to the Admins about the connection issues. However, if all of you who are having Note 3 issues will send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig), that will certainly give weight to the issue and might get the engineers in gear. Phone support creates a ticket and sends it up the chain but CustomerCare is a more direct line further up. Just include your issue in detail, account info and location.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Galaxy Note 3 Users

173 replies
(10) Me too
(10) Me too
View all replies
(173)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 9:03:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Neither my new orange and gray sim nor my old orange and blue sim do not connect to the microcell. My old orange and blue connected for over a week as I have mentioned above.
Neither my new orange and gray sim nor my old orange and blue sim do not connect to the microcell. My old orange and blue connected for over a week as I have mentioned above.

Re: Galaxy Note 3 Users

91 of 174 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 9:05:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

FWIW, the MicroCell is a dumb device. It just passes data back and forth. If an update comes out for the MicroCell it is conjunction with Samsung. I do believe it is a Samsung issue but that's to be expected with brand new devices expected to work across different platforms. As far as an official statement, I wouldn't hold my breath other than "here's the update and all is well". This is to be expected for those who want to have the "latest and greatest" on Day 1.

FWIW, the MicroCell is a dumb device. It just passes data back and forth. If an update comes out for the MicroCell it is conjunction with Samsung. I do believe it is a Samsung issue but that's to be expected with brand new devices expected to work across different platforms. As far as an official statement, I wouldn't hold my breath other than "here's the update and all is well". This is to be expected for those who want to have the "latest and greatest" on Day 1.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

92 of 174 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 10:34:25 PM
(0)
Voyager

My note 3 worked on my microcell for 8 days,it stoped working 2+ days ago.  I would say my MC is a few years old. 

My story is not much different than others here.  I am dead in the water.

My sim is orange if I remember correctly.  It came with the phone.

Before this all started, the wifes Iphone5 and my note 2 worked perfictly on the MC.  We cannot use our phones at home without the MC because the signal is too weak at our house.   We get one bar.

My MC 3g bars are flashing and if I do not unplug it, my note3 will not see any att service at all, not even 1 bar.  I have not tried pushing the reset on the MC yet.

My thanks to everybody here on the forum.

Cheers

My note 3 worked on my microcell for 8 days,it stoped working 2+ days ago.  I would say my MC is a few years old. 

My story is not much different than others here.  I am dead in the water.

My sim is orange if I remember correctly.  It came with the phone.

Before this all started, the wifes Iphone5 and my note 2 worked perfictly on the MC.  We cannot use our phones at home without the MC because the signal is too weak at our house.   We get one bar.

My MC 3g bars are flashing and if I do not unplug it, my note3 will not see any att service at all, not even 1 bar.  I have not tried pushing the reset on the MC yet.

My thanks to everybody here on the forum.

Cheers

93 of 174 (1,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 7:37:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
It has been 12 hours since getting the gray ended SIM and un and re-registered my microcell and so far still connected to the microcell. I'll keep y'all informed if anything changes.
It has been 12 hours since getting the gray ended SIM and un and re-registered my microcell and so far still connected to the microcell. I'll keep y'all informed if anything changes.

94 of 174 (1,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 9:45:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Whoo Hoo! Let's hope this isn't Day 2 of the working 8 Days like last time. Please let us know how it goes.

Whoo Hoo! Let's hope this isn't Day 2 of the working 8 Days like last time. Please let us know how it goes.

95 of 174 (1,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 9:59:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

My Note3 originally worked with the microcell and then suddenly stopped this
week. Other phones in the house would still work with the microcell, and the sim
from my Note3 would work with the microcell in a Note2. I noticed in several of
the postings where people had enjoyed success by replacing their sims that they
also had performed a deactivate/reactivate on their microcell.

1. hard reset the microcell
2. deactivate microcell on AT&T site
3. reactivated microcell on AT&T site and deliberately associated the microcell with the phone # from my Note3 (I have 4 phones on the AT&T account).
4. after reactivate with AT&T completed, turned on Note3, and it immediately connected to microcell

Hopefully this process will not need to be repeated weekly.

Maybe someone else can repeat the process to see if it works for them. Good luck!

My Note3 originally worked with the microcell and then suddenly stopped this
week. Other phones in the house would still work with the microcell, and the sim
from my Note3 would work with the microcell in a Note2. I noticed in several of
the postings where people had enjoyed success by replacing their sims that they
also had performed a deactivate/reactivate on their microcell.

1. hard reset the microcell
2. deactivate microcell on AT&T site
3. reactivated microcell on AT&T site and deliberately associated the microcell with the phone # from my Note3 (I have 4 phones on the AT&T account).
4. after reactivate with AT&T completed, turned on Note3, and it immediately connected to microcell

Hopefully this process will not need to be repeated weekly.

Maybe someone else can repeat the process to see if it works for them. Good luck!

96 of 174 (1,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 10:07:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, just deactivated and reactivated my mircocell with the orange and gray SIM in my note 3, rebooted router, and then rebooted phone-- microcell is back in action! I tried doing this with the orange and blue card and it did not work. I am not sure if it is the orange and gray SIM that has worked, an update pushed by att, or something else. 

I should note that the orange and gray SIM came with my phone since I bought it at best-buy, not ATT. I had swapped the orange and blue SIM from my S4 into the note 3 and didn't think twice about it since it was working fine.

It is obvious that it is not Google or Android since my phone has not been updated since this all started!!

Hope this helps someone.

Sean

Well, just deactivated and reactivated my mircocell with the orange and gray SIM in my note 3, rebooted router, and then rebooted phone-- microcell is back in action! I tried doing this with the orange and blue card and it did not work. I am not sure if it is the orange and gray SIM that has worked, an update pushed by att, or something else. 

I should note that the orange and gray SIM came with my phone since I bought it at best-buy, not ATT. I had swapped the orange and blue SIM from my S4 into the note 3 and didn't think twice about it since it was working fine.

It is obvious that it is not Google or Android since my phone has not been updated since this all started!!

Hope this helps someone.

Sean

97 of 174 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 11:44:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am back on my MicroCell too.

I checked last night and I already had the SIM with the grey end.  And I had already deactivated and reactivated my Microcell with no change.

But this morning I did what fariii suggested and hard reset the Microcell, then deactivated and reactivated the Microcell, and now it is working with my Note 3.  I will have to wait until my son gets home to make sure it is working with his too.

Fingers crossed that this is a permanent fix!

I am back on my MicroCell too.

I checked last night and I already had the SIM with the grey end.  And I had already deactivated and reactivated my Microcell with no change.

But this morning I did what fariii suggested and hard reset the Microcell, then deactivated and reactivated the Microcell, and now it is working with my Note 3.  I will have to wait until my son gets home to make sure it is working with his too.

Fingers crossed that this is a permanent fix!

98 of 174 (1,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 12:01:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

By de-activating the MicroCell you mean disconnecting on the main screen of the "Manage AT&T 3G MicroCell™ Settings"? Or is there any other mechanism to remove all the data?

When I disconnected the MC from AT&T network and then went through the activation process It did not go through all of the original four steps and it just put me back to the settings page with all phone numbers already filled in and no wait for the activation process. 

By de-activating the MicroCell you mean disconnecting on the main screen of the "Manage AT&T 3G MicroCell™ Settings"? Or is there any other mechanism to remove all the data?

When I disconnected the MC from AT&T network and then went through the activation process It did not go through all of the original four steps and it just put me back to the settings page with all phone numbers already filled in and no wait for the activation process. 

99 of 174 (1,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 12:12:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

On the Manage AT&T 3G MicroCell™ Settings page, click Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell
Device and follow the instructions.  Then log off AT&T.  When you log back in to manage your device, you will have to go through the activation process again.  I also hard-reset mine.  I hope it works for you.  My Note3 had previously worked with the microcell, and suddenly stopped sometime this week (probably Wed or Thursday: I was out of town).

On the Manage AT&T 3G MicroCell™ Settings page, click Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell
Device and follow the instructions.  Then log off AT&T.  When you log back in to manage your device, you will have to go through the activation process again.  I also hard-reset mine.  I hope it works for you.  My Note3 had previously worked with the microcell, and suddenly stopped sometime this week (probably Wed or Thursday: I was out of town).

100 of 174 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 1:24:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

sean2000 wrote:

Hope this helps someone.

Sean

That's not necessarily true. If the Note 3 works with some SIMS and not others, as configured by Samsung/Google for the AT&T network, then it's more than likely the SIM, or how the phone, communicates with it than the MicroCell itself. Re-booting the system (MicroCell and phone) repeats the activation process (see Initial Activation in the Technical Guide) re-establishing the protocols necessary for communicating with the MicroCell/AT&T. However, what ever works is the key so let's hope you stay connected and trouble-free. AT&T, in conjunction with Samsung/Google, may have pushed out an update to the MicroCell but I haven't heard of that nor have I seen my MicroCell go thru the update process.

sean2000 wrote:

Hope this helps someone.

Sean

That's not necessarily true. If the Note 3 works with some SIMS and not others, as configured by Samsung/Google for the AT&T network, then it's more than likely the SIM, or how the phone, communicates with it than the MicroCell itself. Re-booting the system (MicroCell and phone) repeats the activation process (see Initial Activation in the Technical Guide) re-establishing the protocols necessary for communicating with the MicroCell/AT&T. However, what ever works is the key so let's hope you stay connected and trouble-free. AT&T, in conjunction with Samsung/Google, may have pushed out an update to the MicroCell but I haven't heard of that nor have I seen my MicroCell go thru the update process.

101 of 174 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 1:27:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK my Note 3 is back on the MicroCell. Here's what I did:

1 - I de-activated the MC from AT&T network

2 - I reset the MC with the reset button

3 - I turned off my Note 3

4 - I re-activated the MC and waited till the process goes through (cca 45 min)

5 - I turned on my Note 3

OK my Note 3 is back on the MicroCell. Here's what I did:

1 - I de-activated the MC from AT&T network

2 - I reset the MC with the reset button

3 - I turned off my Note 3

4 - I re-activated the MC and waited till the process goes through (cca 45 min)

5 - I turned on my Note 3

102 of 174 (1,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 1:29:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Just for documentation purposes, what "color" of SIM do you have and where did you buy the Note 3?

Just for documentation purposes, what "color" of SIM do you have and where did you buy the Note 3?

103 of 174 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 1:36:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the orange SIM that came with the Note 3. I bought the Note 3 through AT&T Premier website and received it on Oct 3rd.

When I got it and activated it it would not connect to the MC. At that time I just rebooted the modem/router/MC and the Note 3 connected. It stayed connected without any problems until yesterday morning. Yesterday I tried all the tricks mentioned in this thread, except for getting blue/gray SIM, and nothing worked.

Last night I noticed blinking 3G bar on the MC when I went to sleep. This morning it was still blinking so I did the de-activation/reset/re-activation I described above. It now connects.

I have the orange SIM that came with the Note 3. I bought the Note 3 through AT&T Premier website and received it on Oct 3rd.

When I got it and activated it it would not connect to the MC. At that time I just rebooted the modem/router/MC and the Note 3 connected. It stayed connected without any problems until yesterday morning. Yesterday I tried all the tricks mentioned in this thread, except for getting blue/gray SIM, and nothing worked.

Last night I noticed blinking 3G bar on the MC when I went to sleep. This morning it was still blinking so I did the de-activation/reset/re-activation I described above. It now connects.

104 of 174 (1,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2013 3:31:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. Thanks. That does sound like AT&T pushed an update even tho I haven't seen it here. It might have something to do with the Regional MicroCell Service Areas and not system wide. Hopefully I'll hear something back (that I can post) from the Admins next week.

Ok. Thanks. That does sound like AT&T pushed an update even tho I haven't seen it here. It might have something to do with the Regional MicroCell Service Areas and not system wide. Hopefully I'll hear something back (that I can post) from the Admins next week.

105 of 174 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 5:02:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
So yesterday morning I noticed my phone was connecting to the microbes again. I thought it might be a fluke, since I had changed from the orange and white to orange and blue SIM without any luck. But for some reason, yesterday (about 24 hours after changing sims) it started working. I noticed it was still working today before I left for work. I do believe I saw my microcell update yesterday afternoon.
So yesterday morning I noticed my phone was connecting to the microbes again. I thought it might be a fluke, since I had changed from the orange and white to orange and blue SIM without any luck. But for some reason, yesterday (about 24 hours after changing sims) it started working. I noticed it was still working today before I left for work. I do believe I saw my microcell update yesterday afternoon.

106 of 174 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:01:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's good news. It sounds like my persistent pushing and everyone's PM's to CustomerCare got their attention and they pushed an update. Don't know why I haven't seen one here but my MicroCell usually re-boots itself with no problems so maybe one did get pushed and I just didn't see it.

That's good news. It sounds like my persistent pushing and everyone's PM's to CustomerCare got their attention and they pushed an update. Don't know why I haven't seen one here but my MicroCell usually re-boots itself with no problems so maybe one did get pushed and I just didn't see it.

107 of 174 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:20:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

Otto Pylot

This is why I am still not sure where the issue is. As my original post stated, it worked late night Sunday and Monday morning it wasn't connected. This Saturday morning  get a text message and this email. I was connected fine Friday night, but Saturday morning my phone was not connected and the first light (i) on the microcell was red. I powered cycled the microcell and life was good and phone connected. In the 3 years I had my previous microcell, this NEVER happened and my microcell is in the same spot. I have been up late nights/ early mornings, between 3am - 5am, and seen my microcell reboot. I have asked about this many times and keep getting the same response, "We do not push out code or reboot microcells automatically". I was connected fine to my microcell when I went to bed around 1:55 a.m. CST

Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:03 AM, AT&T Customer Care for Wireless <att-services.1908483661@emaildl.att-mail.com> wrote:

myAT&T Account | Support AT&T
Activation Failure (Error 101)
Hello ,
Mobile Number# Device#

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. Your MicroCell was unable to obtain a GPS signal to verify its location.

Please attempt to move your MicroCell within 3 feet of a window with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Once you have moved the device, wait 60 minutes for your GPS light to turn solid green. In rare instances it may take up to 24 hours.

If the error persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Thank You,
AT&T
Contact Us

Otto Pylot

This is why I am still not sure where the issue is. As my original post stated, it worked late night Sunday and Monday morning it wasn't connected. This Saturday morning  get a text message and this email. I was connected fine Friday night, but Saturday morning my phone was not connected and the first light (i) on the microcell was red. I powered cycled the microcell and life was good and phone connected. In the 3 years I had my previous microcell, this NEVER happened and my microcell is in the same spot. I have been up late nights/ early mornings, between 3am - 5am, and seen my microcell reboot. I have asked about this many times and keep getting the same response, "We do not push out code or reboot microcells automatically". I was connected fine to my microcell when I went to bed around 1:55 a.m. CST

Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:03 AM, AT&T Customer Care for Wireless <att-services.1908483661@emaildl.att-mail.com> wrote:

myAT&T Account | Support AT&T
Activation Failure (Error 101)
Hello ,
Mobile Number# Device#

There was an error activating your 3G MicroCell. Your MicroCell was unable to obtain a GPS signal to verify its location.

Please attempt to move your MicroCell within 3 feet of a window with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Once you have moved the device, wait 60 minutes for your GPS light to turn solid green. In rare instances it may take up to 24 hours.

If the error persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Thank You,
AT&T
Contact Us

108 of 174 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:21:22 AM
(0)
Contributor
I had same issue. Originally my note 3 connected to microcell then it quit connecting. I switched sin cards to one with blue on it and then I had to turn off data and search for microcell and then it connected!
I had same issue. Originally my note 3 connected to microcell then it quit connecting. I switched sin cards to one with blue on it and then I had to turn off data and search for microcell and then it connected!

109 of 174 (1,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:22:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

110 of 174 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:23:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

Otto Pylot,

My point of the previous post is that this morning (Sunday), my phone was not connected.  I checked my microcell and the BARs lights were RED.  I power cycled my microcell and life was good and my phone reconnected.

Question for you or AT&T: Do you automatically reboot microcells during the 3am - 5am CST? If so, for what?  Code updates? Other maintence?

Otto Pylot,

My point of the previous post is that this morning (Sunday), my phone was not connected.  I checked my microcell and the BARs lights were RED.  I power cycled my microcell and life was good and my phone reconnected.

Question for you or AT&T: Do you automatically reboot microcells during the 3am - 5am CST? If so, for what?  Code updates? Other maintence?

111 of 174 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:27:32 AM
(0)
Voyager
New to the forum but been keeping up with this thread along with a few others, as I'm having the same issues. I've had the Note 3 for litte over two weeks now and it worked flawlessly with my microcell up until the 15th or 16th of this month. Tried everything, including resetting microcell and deactivating/reactivated it to no avail, suggested on here except for swapping out SIM cards which can't try yet as I live over an hour away from the nearest ATT store. All other phones on the microcell are working properly and mine shows bars of service but displays no provider and says emergency calls only. The phone works perfectly everywhere that I have cell service but just not when I'm home where the microcell is. I'm really hope a fix can be worked out soon as this is my main source of communication for my work and there is no cell coverage at all in my area.
New to the forum but been keeping up with this thread along with a few others, as I'm having the same issues. I've had the Note 3 for litte over two weeks now and it worked flawlessly with my microcell up until the 15th or 16th of this month. Tried everything, including resetting microcell and deactivating/reactivated it to no avail, suggested on here except for swapping out SIM cards which can't try yet as I live over an hour away from the nearest ATT store. All other phones on the microcell are working properly and mine shows bars of service but displays no provider and says emergency calls only. The phone works perfectly everywhere that I have cell service but just not when I'm home where the microcell is. I'm really hope a fix can be worked out soon as this is my main source of communication for my work and there is no cell coverage at all in my area.

112 of 174 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:40:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I just don't understand the reluctance of AT&T to publish Mcell update release notes and dates or major outages for that matter.  This is the accepted norm with practically every company who uses the internet to keep their firmware/software current.  If Mcell users could access an AT&T webpage that posted when an update was pushed to the Mcell and what it was suppose to accomplish, it would certainly help with troubleshooting problems that crop up or that go away.  Same goes for regional outages. 

I can understand and accept that not every small outage warrants notification as it would be extremely hard to do so and most likely the problem would be resolved before it could posted. 

AT&T is in the stoneage when it comes to communicating with its Mcell users.

I just don't understand the reluctance of AT&T to publish Mcell update release notes and dates or major outages for that matter.  This is the accepted norm with practically every company who uses the internet to keep their firmware/software current.  If Mcell users could access an AT&T webpage that posted when an update was pushed to the Mcell and what it was suppose to accomplish, it would certainly help with troubleshooting problems that crop up or that go away.  Same goes for regional outages. 

I can understand and accept that not every small outage warrants notification as it would be extremely hard to do so and most likely the problem would be resolved before it could posted. 

AT&T is in the stoneage when it comes to communicating with its Mcell users.

113 of 174 (1,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:56:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ erturnerjr

Having a flashing or solid red 3G light on the Mcell can mean that an update was pushed to your Mcell and for some reason, it didn't take.  Power cycling the Mcell can clear this problem.

Mcells are not automatically rebooted every night but updates are typically downloaded to Mcells at night to minimize interruptions to service.  There is no published knowledge as to when these updates occur or how often.

@ erturnerjr

Having a flashing or solid red 3G light on the Mcell can mean that an update was pushed to your Mcell and for some reason, it didn't take.  Power cycling the Mcell can clear this problem.

Mcells are not automatically rebooted every night but updates are typically downloaded to Mcells at night to minimize interruptions to service.  There is no published knowledge as to when these updates occur or how often.

114 of 174 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 10:01:29 AM
(0)
Voyager

Just a quick update on my situation.  I said earlier that doing the reset and then de/reactivating did not work.  Well about an hour after the successfull reactivation it did start working properly all of a sudden.  Hopefully it will continue to work and maybe others can have success as well doing this.

Just a quick update on my situation.  I said earlier that doing the reset and then de/reactivating did not work.  Well about an hour after the successfull reactivation it did start working properly all of a sudden.  Hopefully it will continue to work and maybe others can have success as well doing this.

115 of 174 (1,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 12:01:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Oct 20, 2013 at 12:06:16 PM

This is for everyone above.....

What support said about not pushing updates and re-booting the MicroCell is just patently false. When updates become available, either for network maintenance or to tweak the system for new phones (which is a rarity), AT&T will send the update to the locally affected MicroCell Service Area usually in the middle of the night for the specific timezone. Quite often, but not always, the updates require the MicroCell to reboot itself similar to what your computer does. Most of the time, the update is seamless and you never know it the following morning. Sometimes the 3G light will be blinking red which indicates either a hardware failure or more likely the re-boot was unsuccessful and the MicroCell thinks it's a hardware failure. The blinking green 3G light indiates loss of connection to the AT&T servers. In that case, the MicroCell re-booted ok but lost connectivity to AT&T. A power cycle and/or a hard reset for both scenarios can often correct the situation, but not always. See the Techical Guide for more info. I also think that the MicroCell Service Area backbones are not all configured the same for various reasons which is another fly in the ointment.

Personlly, I think the problem lies in the Note 3 OS. AT&T has pretty much locked down the underlying connection protocols which are supplied to the various phone mfrs. There are some tweaks that AT&T can do on their end to your account (phone) but ultimately, it's how the phone's OS negotiates with AT&T via the MicroCell. When the iPhone was first introduced there was some connection problems as well, for some, but not all users. System updates on both ends seems to have corrected most of those initial issues. But not all phones are going to work flawlessly with the MicroCell, especially as phones get more sophisticated as time goes by. It would be nice if AT&T thoroughly tested the new phones with ALL of their devices, and maybe they do in their sterile testing labs. But there are just a whole lot of different home LANs out there with a multitude of connection schemes that pretty much makes it impossible to cover all of the different possibilities. That's still no excuse for not thoroughly planning ahead. Of course, introducing the phone and then correcting whatever issues arise on the fly seems to be the plan here, even if if it means some customers losing connection for awhile. Not acceptable. The fact that other phones using the same MicroCell and not having connection issues points back to the phone and not the MicroCell itself.

Not having some sort of Network Status link on the MicroCell Forum page is a pet peeve of mine and really pi$$es me off! I will start again tomorrow, bugging the Admins about that. My direct contacts are in favor of the idea but it's a Senior Management decision, not theirs, because it would also involve IT and Network Engineering which would require some sort of coherent communication between the divisions, not to mention a certain amount of dedication to quality service by AT&T in general.

Hang in there folks, we'll get this worked out.

This is for everyone above.....

What support said about not pushing updates and re-booting the MicroCell is just patently false. When updates become available, either for network maintenance or to tweak the system for new phones (which is a rarity), AT&T will send the update to the locally affected MicroCell Service Area usually in the middle of the night for the specific timezone. Quite often, but not always, the updates require the MicroCell to reboot itself similar to what your computer does. Most of the time, the update is seamless and you never know it the following morning. Sometimes the 3G light will be blinking red which indicates either a hardware failure or more likely the re-boot was unsuccessful and the MicroCell thinks it's a hardware failure. The blinking green 3G light indiates loss of connection to the AT&T servers. In that case, the MicroCell re-booted ok but lost connectivity to AT&T. A power cycle and/or a hard reset for both scenarios can often correct the situation, but not always. See the Techical Guide for more info. I also think that the MicroCell Service Area backbones are not all configured the same for various reasons which is another fly in the ointment.

Personlly, I think the problem lies in the Note 3 OS. AT&T has pretty much locked down the underlying connection protocols which are supplied to the various phone mfrs. There are some tweaks that AT&T can do on their end to your account (phone) but ultimately, it's how the phone's OS negotiates with AT&T via the MicroCell. When the iPhone was first introduced there was some connection problems as well, for some, but not all users. System updates on both ends seems to have corrected most of those initial issues. But not all phones are going to work flawlessly with the MicroCell, especially as phones get more sophisticated as time goes by. It would be nice if AT&T thoroughly tested the new phones with ALL of their devices, and maybe they do in their sterile testing labs. But there are just a whole lot of different home LANs out there with a multitude of connection schemes that pretty much makes it impossible to cover all of the different possibilities. That's still no excuse for not thoroughly planning ahead. Of course, introducing the phone and then correcting whatever issues arise on the fly seems to be the plan here, even if if it means some customers losing connection for awhile. Not acceptable. The fact that other phones using the same MicroCell and not having connection issues points back to the phone and not the MicroCell itself.

Not having some sort of Network Status link on the MicroCell Forum page is a pet peeve of mine and really pi$$es me off! I will start again tomorrow, bugging the Admins about that. My direct contacts are in favor of the idea but it's a Senior Management decision, not theirs, because it would also involve IT and Network Engineering which would require some sort of coherent communication between the divisions, not to mention a certain amount of dedication to quality service by AT&T in general.

Hang in there folks, we'll get this worked out.

[ Edited ]
116 of 174 (1,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 4:37:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@Otto

I don't see where AT&T would have any motivation to make sure that any new phone is Microcell compatible out of the gate. 

Let's face it, AT&T has 108 million wireless subscribers and I would guess its Microcell population to be around 500,000 - 600,000 (was 350,000 two years ago).  So I'm estimating about a half a percent of their subscribers have a Microcell...certainly not more than 1%. 

It's always going to be "sell the phones first" and deal with whatever issues they may have with the Microcell after the fact, of which some may not be able to be solved because of hardware/OS compatibility conflicts.  As you say, throw in countless variations of home network systems and hardware on top of all the different cellphones that AT&T sells and it's a wonder that a one-size-fits-all, closed system Microcell works at all.

You say it's not acceptable and I would agree, however the AT&T corporate suits and bean counters are looking at the almighty dollar and aren't interested in making sure that Microcell users have a trouble-free experience.  Their solution is issuing credits or refunds for unsatisfied customers.  It's cheaper than having integrated wireless products that play well with each other.

@Otto

I don't see where AT&T would have any motivation to make sure that any new phone is Microcell compatible out of the gate. 

Let's face it, AT&T has 108 million wireless subscribers and I would guess its Microcell population to be around 500,000 - 600,000 (was 350,000 two years ago).  So I'm estimating about a half a percent of their subscribers have a Microcell...certainly not more than 1%. 

It's always going to be "sell the phones first" and deal with whatever issues they may have with the Microcell after the fact, of which some may not be able to be solved because of hardware/OS compatibility conflicts.  As you say, throw in countless variations of home network systems and hardware on top of all the different cellphones that AT&T sells and it's a wonder that a one-size-fits-all, closed system Microcell works at all.

You say it's not acceptable and I would agree, however the AT&T corporate suits and bean counters are looking at the almighty dollar and aren't interested in making sure that Microcell users have a trouble-free experience.  Their solution is issuing credits or refunds for unsatisfied customers.  It's cheaper than having integrated wireless products that play well with each other.

117 of 174 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 5:51:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@ Avedis53

My friend, I agree with you 100%. In fact, I'm surprised that some of my posts haven't been "edited for appropriatness" or deleted altogether. You should see some of my pm's to the Admins Smiley Surprised Fortunately, the Admins are really supportive but they don't call the shots. I've already sent a PM to the Admin so they'll see it first thing tomorrow morning. This coming week should be interesting. Thanks btw for helping out here. I really appreciate it.

@ Avedis53

My friend, I agree with you 100%. In fact, I'm surprised that some of my posts haven't been "edited for appropriatness" or deleted altogether. You should see some of my pm's to the Admins Smiley Surprised Fortunately, the Admins are really supportive but they don't call the shots. I've already sent a PM to the Admin so they'll see it first thing tomorrow morning. This coming week should be interesting. Thanks btw for helping out here. I really appreciate it.

118 of 174 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 6:38:02 AM
(0)
Voyager

As a matter of fact, I got the same message about GPS problems with my MIcrocell and then my Note3 stopped working.   I had forgotten about this message as I have been focused on trying to change a setting on the phone to get it to work.   My husband's Iphone 5 works fine with the MicroCell, but my Note3 no longer does.   Also the GPS light on the Microcell unit is solid so I think it is receiving GPS signal fine.    Just thought I would add to this post as I had not connected the reception of this type of email with the failure of my Note3 to connect to our MIcrocell.

As a matter of fact, I got the same message about GPS problems with my MIcrocell and then my Note3 stopped working.   I had forgotten about this message as I have been focused on trying to change a setting on the phone to get it to work.   My husband's Iphone 5 works fine with the MicroCell, but my Note3 no longer does.   Also the GPS light on the Microcell unit is solid so I think it is receiving GPS signal fine.    Just thought I would add to this post as I had not connected the reception of this type of email with the failure of my Note3 to connect to our MIcrocell.

119 of 174 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 8:09:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There should be a statement coming out later on today about the Samsung and LG issues, sort of.

There should be a statement coming out later on today about the Samsung and LG issues, sort of.

120 of 174 (1,072 Views)