Galaxy Note 3 Users

ACE - Master

Galaxy Note 3 Users

I just sent a message to the Admins about the connection issues. However, if all of you who are having Note 3 issues will send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig), that will certainly give weight to the issue and might get the engineers in gear. Phone support creates a ticket and sends it up the chain but CustomerCare is a more direct line further up. Just include your issue in detail, account info and location.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 174 (12,254 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Galaxy Note 3 not connecting to AT&T MicroCell

I'm not an Android expert but from what I've read, the Galaxy Note 3 will connect to 3G, 4G and LTE.  You might try this if you haven't already. This is for enabling 3G on phones with Android 2.3 or later versions.  It may or may not help your situation but if you haven't tried it yet, it might.

1. Tap "Menu" button at the bottom lower left of the phone.

2.  Choose "Settings" from the list that comes up.

3.  Choose "Wireless and Network" from the list that comes up.

4.  Choose "Mobile Networks" from the list that comes up.

5.  There should be a "Use Packet Data" option.  Make sure that the checkbox next to that option is checked.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 174 (10,310 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks Avedis53. If that works, it certainly warrants in inclusion into the Technical Guide.

Message 4 of 174 (10,300 Views)
ACE - Professor

It might just enable 3G data service and have no effect on the phone as far as turning on 3G phone service.  I would think that would be automatic like on an iPhone.  I know little about the Android OS.

Message 5 of 174 (10,294 Views)
ACE - Master

Hopefully the OP will come back and let us know if it worked.

Message 6 of 174 (10,286 Views)
Mentor

Add me to the list of people who are unable to use the Note 3 with the Microcell.

I'm in a different situation than the other person.

My Note 3 did connect for a few days,and now does not. I also have an iPhone 5 that still works fine with the Microcell, as did my S III.

I spent about an hour on the phone with ATT last week trying all the troubleshooting steps. Could not get the Note 3 to connect. Was issued a case number and just got off the phone with ATT tech support today when they called back. Rep said everythhing looks fine from their end, but has no explanation as to why I cannot connect with the Note 3. Doublechecked, swapped SIM, and still able to connect the S III, but not the Note 3.

Suggestion was made to move Microcell to a different location and also try using the optional Microcell antenna; I will try that when I have more time.

In the meantime, the iPhone 5 is working fine.

Rep also stated that there are a few other reports of issues, so while my case is closed for now, I expect that ATT will have to explore further as the Note 3 with Microcell user base expands.

Still don't understand why it worked ok for a few days.

Message 7 of 174 (10,227 Views)
ACE - Master

Do you know if your Note receieved an update? I've seen similar issues reported here with some Nokia phones as well. In theory, any AT&T 3G phone should work if purchased domestically and not jailbroke (even tho some jailbroke phones work just fine).

Message 8 of 174 (10,225 Views)
Mentor

Good news.

In reconfigruing my network again, I powered down my router and the Microcell at the same time - actually unplugged the power cords. I did not change the location of the Microcell.

Repowered the router, then the Microcell.

Note 3 is now successfully connecting to the Microcell. Will have to await wife's return home tonight to make sure her iPhone is still connecting properly.

For others wondering, I have the Actiontec WR424 router, several switches, and MOCA ethernet adapters. The Microcell is connected via MOCA adapter and coax to my network. Coax goes from the Moca adapter to my router. I have FiOS from Frontier; previously this was owned and provided by Verizon.

Message 9 of 174 (10,221 Views)
ACE - Master

That's good news. Seems like all it takes at times is to re-boot the entire setup and the gremlins go away. It's interesting that you have the Actiontec router because there have been some reported issues with that router and the MicroCell keeping connections. However, if you've never had any problems with your iPhone then it's probably random issues.

Message 10 of 174 (10,217 Views)
ACE - Professor

For a house that is wired with coax in every room, a pair of Ethernet to coax MoCA adapters would be a good alternative to wirelessly place a Mcell in another room away from the router.  I wouldn't think they'd have near the problems that Powerline adapters are known to have with the Mcell. 

Message 11 of 174 (10,204 Views)
Mentor

Yes, just one note about MOCA: passive splitters are OK. Splitters with amplifiers inside are not OK. Even if the amplifiers are bidirectional. They simply don't work.

I assume there must be some sort of special amplified splitter/hub for MOCA installations.

I don't have any problem here, now that I replace my active splitter/hub with passive splitters. The signal I have coming into the home has plenty of strength.

I did at one time have the Microcell successfully connected wirelessly with a bridge until I could get a hardwired connection set up.

Message 12 of 174 (10,194 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Also add me to the list of users whose Note 3 will not connect to my Microcell.  I've had my Note 3 since it was released on the 4th and had no issues.  My Note 3 was last connected to my Microcell 10/13 around 9:30 p.m. CST.  I come home from work today, 10/14, and it has not connected a single time.

I was online with chat support for at least 2 hours.  Trying the following with no success.

- rebooted cable modem

- rebooted router

- rebooted microcell

- powered off phone several time

- deactivated and reactived microcell

- tech support disbale hand out and re-enabled hand out.

I have had my microcell since 2010 as well and have used my Galaxy S2 skyrocket & Galaxy S3 with no issues.  I may have had a connection issues once or twice, but nothing a reboot of the microcell did not fix. My Note 3 on the other hand seems to simply quit working after last night.

How do we get this escalated to AT&T for investigation?  Yes I am optimistic they will fix the issue ;-)

Anyone do a factory reset on their phone to see what happens?

Message 13 of 174 (10,161 Views)
ACE - Master

A factory reset might not be a bad idea. I'll send a message to the Admin and see if I can get some traction started on this.

Message 14 of 174 (10,148 Views)
Tutor

I just purchased last Saturday. It worked fine on the micro cell. The phone it self kept locking ip the screen where I couldn't unlock the phone so CS told me to go to store and swap it out for new device. New one yesterday (13) did not connect to MC. Spent 4 hours last night and today trying to fix it still with no luck. Sent back to store for third phone and this doesn't connect either! I am done with this crap!
Message 17 of 174 (10,085 Views)
ACE - Master

I'm confused. The MicoCell worked ok with your Note 3 but the screen kept locking up so you exchanged the phone for another one, and now that one doesn't connect to the MicroCell at all? Does the phone work outside of MicroCell range?

Message 18 of 174 (10,069 Views)
Tutor

My note 3 was working fine with my microcell for about one week after I bought it and suddenly stopped. I rebooted everything ad reconnected the microcell. Chatted with customer service. Told me to get a new microcell. Skeptical. The iPhones and galaxy s4 work fine with the note 3 sim card. I think it is a phone bug. We'll see. 

Message 25 of 174 (10,028 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.