GDR3

Professor

GDR3

Any one have a clue when AT&T will release  GDR3?

Message 1 of 15 (11,734 Views)
Scholar

Re: GDR3

You can get it now, register yourself as a app developer, there's tutorial videos on YouTube.
Message 2 of 15 (11,639 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

probably not until next year.... you know the deal. Nokia/MS will release it and then ATT will take another 2 months to "fully test" it.

Message 3 of 15 (11,628 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Besides the early dev builds that're currently out, we've no concrete release date from MS.

P.S. Since when does AT&T make firmware release dates public? C'mon now...

Message 4 of 15 (11,624 Views)
Scholar

Sprint is already pushing out GDR3 for their HTC 8X devices this week, with at&t lacking windows updates, like windows 7.8 and GDR2, we prolly won't see it till next year or when the next wave of Lumia devices like the 1520 1320 come out. It seems like they only care about ios and android. Windows are 3rd on the list to care about...
Message 5 of 15 (11,588 Views)
ACE - Professor

Right. First we need Nokia to make a version for their various WP8 handsets, for their various carriers and unbranded. Then AT&T needs to test and release it.

We are currently at step 1: Wait for Nokia. If they pull an Amber, they'll hold up GDR3 for their next color "add on" - that held up GDR2 for three months.

Then we will get to step 2. If AT&T is really really slow, we will get it 4-6 weeks after the first carrier to release it.

HTC is in desperation mode, they are trying to differentiate from Nokia any way they can. Being first with the GDRx releases is one way to do that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 15 (11,567 Views)

johninsj wrote:

Right. First we need Nokia to make a version for their various WP8 handsets, for their various carriers and unbranded. Then AT&T needs to test and release it.

We are currently at step 1: Wait for Nokia. If they pull an Amber, they'll hold up GDR3 for their next color "add on" - that held up GDR2 for three months.

Then we will get to step 2. If AT&T is really really slow, we will get it 4-6 weeks after the first carrier to release it.

HTC is in desperation mode, they are trying to differentiate from Nokia any way they can. Being first with the GDRx releases is one way to do that.

GDR3 or Update 3 as they are calling it now is a Microsoft update for all Windows 8 Phones. Nokia does not have to do anything to it. If it is available to Sprint it is available to AT&T. There is no "wait for Nokia".

There is nothing in this update that AT&T should object to so there is no reason for it to be deleyed unless it is because of the new Windows Phones coming out on AT&T.

The next update from Nokia is very small, nothing in it that would effect AT&T and their big thumb.

So, the clock starts now, waiting on AT&T

Message 7 of 15 (11,553 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

They released it this morning  on Sprint

Message 8 of 15 (11,531 Views)
ACE - Professor

JohnnyWalkerBlue wrote:

johninsj wrote:

GDR3 or Update 3 as they are calling it now is a Microsoft update for all Windows 8 Phones. Nokia does not have to do anything to it. If it is available to Sprint it is available to AT&T. There is no "wait for Nokia".

There is nothing in this update that AT&T should object to so there is no reason for it to be deleyed unless it is because of the new Windows Phones coming out on AT&T.

The next update from Nokia is very small, nothing in it that would effect AT&T and their big thumb.

So, the clock starts now, waiting on AT&T

Um... no. Not even close.

If you were to install the Dev preview (which anyone could install) you install the specific firmware for your device and carrier to get the rom that includes GDR3.

So, Nokia has to provide the rom to AT&T, and after AT&T does whatever it does, you get it.

And this is what Nokia is doing with GDR3

http://winsource.com/2013/10/21/nokia-bittersweet-shimmer-update-will-be-called-lumia-black/

or

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/nokia-lumia-black-update-windows-phone-8/

"Nokia, now under the Microsoft umbrella, will combine an incoming Windows Phone update with its own smartphone upgrades. Lumia Black is its name, and it'll bring the new, unified Nokia Camera, alongside Storyteller and Beamer apps found on the new Lumia 1520 and 1320, to existing high-end Windows Phone 8 (namely the 920 series and the 1020) -- soon. The company didn't specify a roll-out date, however. According to Elop: "This will happen later on, it won't happen immediately. Some of the key updates for Windows Phone are in GDR3, so the notifications... will come through across all devices and be combined together with the Black update."

You're tied to Nokia. And AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 15 (11,525 Views)

i did the preview update because if you wait( like i foolishly did for gdr2) then wp8.1 would have been out for a while already so i like the preview program from ms ... bypass carriers .... the way to go... apple does it!

Message 10 of 15 (11,463 Views)
ACE - Professor

paulxxwall wrote:

i did the preview update because if you wait( like i foolishly did for gdr2) then wp8.1 would have been out for a while already so i like the preview program from ms ... bypass carriers .... the way to go... apple does it!

There are downsides, so just be aware of that. However if you're aware of the risks and accept them, then it's nice that there is an option to do this now.

Message 11 of 15 (11,454 Views)
Mentor

So what are the downsides?
Message 12 of 15 (11,413 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Message 13 of 15 (11,381 Views)
Contributor

It is so frustrating that AT&T can't seem to get the upgrade out.   I really need the SMS fix.    What is the time frame?  How is that Apple can release a version and AT&T let's it go out, but not Microsoft?

Message 14 of 15 (8,963 Views)
Mentor

I got mine for the Lumia 1020 last week.  I think AT&T will roll out the remaining phone updates in early 2014 but how early is anyones guess.

Message 15 of 15 (8,378 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.