Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 7, 2013
9:09:19 PM
Feeling very unsatisfied with my service for the first time.

Ok this is a long story so i shall start from the beginning. Last year *july of 2012* i signed a two year contract with at&t and was very satisfied with my service. I chose a samsung captivate glide as my phone because i need a physical keyboard. A few months later the phone would begin to constantly overheat to the point it was unusable so i was forced to exchange it for a refurbished one and now the refurbished one is having an issue where the phone allows me to hear people talk but more than 75% of the time they cannot hear me. After contacting customer care it seems i need another phone, unfortunately the glide is no longer in stock and they want to "upgrade" me to another phone. However with the limited physical keyboard phones out there, this isn't an option. I was going to use At&t next to get a galaxy S 4 since i can get a bluetooth keyboard case accessory, but as seeing as i'm not eligible for an upgrade and am not a new customer the service is unavailable to me. I am on medical disability and cannot afford to pay the massive price upfront and would need the monthly payment options offered by At&t next. Since that is not an option i am either forced to keep a phone that doesn't work or take something that i do not want and would not work for me. I feel an incredible lack of cooperation and customer service in this situation, almost feels like i'm being punished for being a loyal customer of one year. If anybody has an idea of how i can work around this problem any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ok this is a long story so i shall start from the beginning. Last year *july of 2012* i signed a two year contract with at&t and was very satisfied with my service. I chose a samsung captivate glide as my phone because i need a physical keyboard. A few months later the phone would begin to constantly overheat to the point it was unusable so i was forced to exchange it for a refurbished one and now the refurbished one is having an issue where the phone allows me to hear people talk but more than 75% of the time they cannot hear me. After contacting customer care it seems i need another phone, unfortunately the glide is no longer in stock and they want to "upgrade" me to another phone. However with the limited physical keyboard phones out there, this isn't an option. I was going to use At&t next to get a galaxy S 4 since i can get a bluetooth keyboard case accessory, but as seeing as i'm not eligible for an upgrade and am not a new customer the service is unavailable to me. I am on medical disability and cannot afford to pay the massive price upfront and would need the monthly payment options offered by At&t next. Since that is not an option i am either forced to keep a phone that doesn't work or take something that i do not want and would not work for me. I feel an incredible lack of cooperation and customer service in this situation, almost feels like i'm being punished for being a loyal customer of one year. If anybody has an idea of how i can work around this problem any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Feeling very unsatisfied with my service for the first time.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 9:15:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sooner403 wrote:

You could look on Craigslist/Ebay, etc to see if you can find a different phone there for a price that is affordable.

Sooner403 wrote:

You could look on Craigslist/Ebay, etc to see if you can find a different phone there for a price that is affordable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Feeling very unsatisfied with my service for the first time.

2 of 6 (442 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 10:10:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you considered a quick messaging device, such as the ones found at this link?  There's also the NEC Terrain, but this is a bit more in price than the quick messaging devices.  The quick messaging phones are around $200 full retail, which is the same as what a Galaxy S4 costs with the upgrade.

Have you considered a quick messaging device, such as the ones found at this link?  There's also the NEC Terrain, but this is a bit more in price than the quick messaging devices.  The quick messaging phones are around $200 full retail, which is the same as what a Galaxy S4 costs with the upgrade.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:28:06 AM
(0)
Expert

Someone that I know had a phone that just recently died. Since she didn't care for any of the Quick Messaging phones that ATT had, she ended up finding the same phone, brand new and unlocked, on Amazon, for $55. All we needed to do was to use her SIM Card from her old phone and enter the MMS settings in it so she could send/receive picture messages...it works like a charm. 

Look around online and if you do purchase one, just make sure to ask here on the forum for the MMS Settings that you may need to enter.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Someone that I know had a phone that just recently died. Since she didn't care for any of the Quick Messaging phones that ATT had, she ended up finding the same phone, brand new and unlocked, on Amazon, for $55. All we needed to do was to use her SIM Card from her old phone and enter the MMS settings in it so she could send/receive picture messages...it works like a charm. 

Look around online and if you do purchase one, just make sure to ask here on the forum for the MMS Settings that you may need to enter.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4 of 6 (383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 9:27:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Really appreciate all the suggestions and am looking into them, unfortunately money is the issue since i am on diability and having to pay for an entire phone upfront is the major obstacle at the moment. 

Really appreciate all the suggestions and am looking into them, unfortunately money is the issue since i am on diability and having to pay for an entire phone upfront is the major obstacle at the moment. 

5 of 6 (340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 3:20:17 AM
(0)
Expert

Sooner403 wrote:

Since money is an issue, there are programs available for free cell phones. Have you ever heard of them?? 

Take a look at this thread. Granted, the phones that are supplied by these types of programs are nothing fancy, but they are totally free as well as the minutes as long as you meet one out of list of qualifications. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/The-Wireless-Lounge/Phones-to-low-income-Americans/td-p/3427841

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Sooner403 wrote:

Since money is an issue, there are programs available for free cell phones. Have you ever heard of them?? 

Take a look at this thread. Granted, the phones that are supplied by these types of programs are nothing fancy, but they are totally free as well as the minutes as long as you meet one out of list of qualifications. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/The-Wireless-Lounge/Phones-to-low-income-Americans/td-p/3427841

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

6 of 6 (308 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments