Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 11, 2013
9:07:45 AM
View profile
Feeling completely misled and swindled by AT&T employee

I went into the AT&T store to get my usual 2 year upgrade.  I was able to get it back in April but the phone I was using was still working fine.  I went into the store and told the employee that I just wanted the standard upgrade.  He led me over to this nice phone with a large screen and said it was the Galaxy S4.  I thought it looked nice and since this was the first and only phone he showed me I assumed it was a simple cheap upgrade of the phone I had.  He takes me over to the table and has be electronically sign a little screen.  The screen had no information on it, just a place to put my signature.  He printed off the forms and folded them all nice and neat and put them in the bag.  I assumed everything was as he said and no problems and therefore never looked at the paperowork.  Well I got the bill and there was a major problem; the Galaxy S4 is not only NOT the standard upgrade for my phone, but it costs nearly $600!! Not once did the salesman tell me what the phone costs and I was stupid for thinking it would be the same as ALL the other times ive upgraded.  I tried calling the company but because it has been just over the 14 day buyers remorse window, there was nothing they could do.  I didn't even know I was remorseful since I hadn't recieved the bill yet.  I feel completely duped.  I was nieve to think that this man was genuinely trying to help me when in reality he was just playing me in order to get a nice commission.  I have been with AT&T for over a DECADE and this is how they treat me.

I went into the AT&T store to get my usual 2 year upgrade.  I was able to get it back in April but the phone I was using was still working fine.  I went into the store and told the employee that I just wanted the standard upgrade.  He led me over to this nice phone with a large screen and said it was the Galaxy S4.  I thought it looked nice and since this was the first and only phone he showed me I assumed it was a simple cheap upgrade of the phone I had.  He takes me over to the table and has be electronically sign a little screen.  The screen had no information on it, just a place to put my signature.  He printed off the forms and folded them all nice and neat and put them in the bag.  I assumed everything was as he said and no problems and therefore never looked at the paperowork.  Well I got the bill and there was a major problem; the Galaxy S4 is not only NOT the standard upgrade for my phone, but it costs nearly $600!! Not once did the salesman tell me what the phone costs and I was stupid for thinking it would be the same as ALL the other times ive upgraded.  I tried calling the company but because it has been just over the 14 day buyers remorse window, there was nothing they could do.  I didn't even know I was remorseful since I hadn't recieved the bill yet.  I feel completely duped.  I was nieve to think that this man was genuinely trying to help me when in reality he was just playing me in order to get a nice commission.  I have been with AT&T for over a DECADE and this is how they treat me.

Feeling completely misled and swindled by AT&T employee

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 9:41:39 AM
(0)
Expert

FeelingMisled wrote:

I maybe incorrect, but in all the upgrades that I have done both at a att retail outlet and authorized reseller the phone cost had to be paid up front, did this policy just change?

FeelingMisled wrote:

I maybe incorrect, but in all the upgrades that I have done both at a att retail outlet and authorized reseller the phone cost had to be paid up front, did this policy just change?

Re: Feeling completely misled and swindled by AT&T employee

2 of 8 (774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:19:24 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, FeelingMisled!

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience with your upgrade. We can definitely look into this for you if you send us a private message by clicking here.

I don't know for sure, of course, but I think you may have upgraded using the AT&T Next Program. How much did you pay up front in the store? The AT&T Next Program prints paperwork reflecting the full price of the device, but you only see it in installments on your bills. For example, if a phone costs $600 the payments are split up into 20 monthly installments.

If you message us with your name, phone number, email address, the total amount on your bill, and the best time to reach you, we would be more than happy to investigate and find an acceptable solution for you.

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please message me with any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, FeelingMisled!

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience with your upgrade. We can definitely look into this for you if you send us a private message by clicking here.

I don't know for sure, of course, but I think you may have upgraded using the AT&T Next Program. How much did you pay up front in the store? The AT&T Next Program prints paperwork reflecting the full price of the device, but you only see it in installments on your bills. For example, if a phone costs $600 the payments are split up into 20 monthly installments.

If you message us with your name, phone number, email address, the total amount on your bill, and the best time to reach you, we would be more than happy to investigate and find an acceptable solution for you.

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please message me with any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:19:49 AM
(0)
Former Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

FeelingMisled wrote:

I've done all my upgrades online and I've always paid upfront for the phone at checkout. The only charge that gets put on the bill is the upgrade fee. Additionally, $600 is definitely not the upgrade price for a Galaxy S4. There must be more to this story.

wingrider01 wrote:

FeelingMisled wrote:

I've done all my upgrades online and I've always paid upfront for the phone at checkout. The only charge that gets put on the bill is the upgrade fee. Additionally, $600 is definitely not the upgrade price for a Galaxy S4. There must be more to this story.

4 of 8 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 5:49:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
I was all ready to pay at the store. I assumed it would be around 100 dollars or so but then he told me if I signed up for Next, I would be able to upgrade every year so I said sure. He just said the bill would have around 20 extra dollars added until the phone was paid off. He never even hinted at the fact that the phone was so expensive. I mean who in their right mind would pay 600 bucks for a cell phone ?!
I was all ready to pay at the store. I assumed it would be around 100 dollars or so but then he told me if I signed up for Next, I would be able to upgrade every year so I said sure. He just said the bill would have around 20 extra dollars added until the phone was paid off. He never even hinted at the fact that the phone was so expensive. I mean who in their right mind would pay 600 bucks for a cell phone ?!

5 of 8 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:47:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

OK, there were missing elements to the initial story.  It sounds like you didn't bother to look at the price of the device before you agreed to pay for it.  You may be feeling mislead, but this doesn't qualify as actually being mislead.

Oh, and I consider myself to be of my right mind and have paid $600 and more for a cell phone. 

OK, there were missing elements to the initial story.  It sounds like you didn't bother to look at the price of the device before you agreed to pay for it.  You may be feeling mislead, but this doesn't qualify as actually being mislead.

Oh, and I consider myself to be of my right mind and have paid $600 and more for a cell phone. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 8 (722 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 5:20:13 AM
(0)
Professor

FeelingMisled wrote:

The bit about signing up for AT&T Next was a crucial missing element in the initial story  When you signed up for Next, you moved over to a different upgrade program from the standard 2-year contract upgrade program.  In order to get a new phone every 12 months, you pay off the cost of the phone in installments every month.

According to AT&T's web page, the Galaxy S4 is $640 and the 20 monthly installments are $27 each.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-4-16gb-black-mist.html#fbid=nAFUF2zWYTG

That's the con side of the Next program.  You can upgrade a year earlier, but you pay more for the phone.

There is a sticky at the top of the forum with details about Next.

FeelingMisled wrote:

The bit about signing up for AT&T Next was a crucial missing element in the initial story  When you signed up for Next, you moved over to a different upgrade program from the standard 2-year contract upgrade program.  In order to get a new phone every 12 months, you pay off the cost of the phone in installments every month.

According to AT&T's web page, the Galaxy S4 is $640 and the 20 monthly installments are $27 each.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-4-16gb-black-mist.html#fbid=nAFUF2zWYTG

That's the con side of the Next program.  You can upgrade a year earlier, but you pay more for the phone.

There is a sticky at the top of the forum with details about Next.

7 of 8 (696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 5:50:24 AM
(0)
Former Employee

21stNow wrote:

Agree. OP admitted they "assumed" they were getting a cheap phone and they "assumed" the price would be about $100. Personally, I don't agree to anything or sign anything without knowing exactly what it costs. 

21stNow wrote:

Agree. OP admitted they "assumed" they were getting a cheap phone and they "assumed" the price would be about $100. Personally, I don't agree to anything or sign anything without knowing exactly what it costs. 

8 of 8 (686 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments