Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 11, 2013
11:08:09 AM
View profile
FamilyMap no longer locating a Samsung Galaxy S3 -- help!

Hey everyone...I've looked through the FAQ and in some other help areas but haven't found an answer or any helpful information to my issue, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S3 phones running Jelly Bean.  My son has an iPhone 3GS.  I use AT&T FamilyMap to locate my wife and my son's phones.  I've never had an issue with FamilyMap locating the iPhone.  And up until several weeks ago, I never had a problem locating my wife's Galaxy S3, either.

Unfortunately, FamilyMap no longer locates the phone.  I get a message that the phone is either turned off or out of coverage area.  I've had my wife's phone turned on, GPS and WiFi activated, and in my home (I'm in 4G coverage at home), and it still tells me the phone is either off or out of area.  I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why this phone is no longer able to be located.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated -- thank you!

Dave

Hey everyone...I've looked through the FAQ and in some other help areas but haven't found an answer or any helpful information to my issue, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S3 phones running Jelly Bean.  My son has an iPhone 3GS.  I use AT&T FamilyMap to locate my wife and my son's phones.  I've never had an issue with FamilyMap locating the iPhone.  And up until several weeks ago, I never had a problem locating my wife's Galaxy S3, either.

Unfortunately, FamilyMap no longer locates the phone.  I get a message that the phone is either turned off or out of coverage area.  I've had my wife's phone turned on, GPS and WiFi activated, and in my home (I'm in 4G coverage at home), and it still tells me the phone is either off or out of area.  I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why this phone is no longer able to be located.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated -- thank you!

Dave

FamilyMap no longer locating a Samsung Galaxy S3 -- help!

8 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 1:49:23 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Interesting. 

Has anything at all changed on the either your phone or hers since the last time it worked properly? 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Interesting. 

Has anything at all changed on the either your phone or hers since the last time it worked properly? 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: FamilyMap no longer locating a Samsung Galaxy S3 -- help!

2 of 9 (2,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 2:18:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
No, not that I can tell. That's why this is so confusing to me.
No, not that I can tell. That's why this is so confusing to me.

3 of 9 (2,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 2:21:10 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Have you tried logging into att.com and making sure the settings are still correct?

Manage FamilyMap Settings

1. Log in to myAT&T.
  2. From the myAT&T tab at the top of the page, hover over the Wireless link and select AT&T FamilyMap Settings under the Enhanced Services heading.
  3. Select Manage AT&T FamilyMap Settings. This will only be viewable if you have a pending or approved locatee request on your account.
--------------

Have you tried logging into att.com and making sure the settings are still correct?

Manage FamilyMap Settings

1. Log in to myAT&T.
  2. From the myAT&T tab at the top of the page, hover over the Wireless link and select AT&T FamilyMap Settings under the Enhanced Services heading.
  3. Select Manage AT&T FamilyMap Settings. This will only be viewable if you have a pending or approved locatee request on your account.
--------------

4 of 9 (2,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 2:27:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yes, I did that earlier today.
Yes, I did that earlier today.

5 of 9 (2,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 2:56:32 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I think we need to take a closer look at the account and make sure that there isn't something preventing her phone from being located. 

Will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

I think we need to take a closer look at the account and make sure that there isn't something preventing her phone from being located. 

Will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

6 of 9 (2,889 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 3:09:25 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi davepack,

Thanks for sending us the private message. One of our managers is currently looking into the trouble and will contact you.

-Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi davepack,

Thanks for sending us the private message. One of our managers is currently looking into the trouble and will contact you.

-Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

7 of 9 (2,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:21:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

I think I know the problem. I recently ran into this issue after we did an upgrade. We went from Blackberry to Samsung Galaxy S4. Family mapping didn't work after this, so I spoke with tech people. They researched the issue, and told me it was the LTE. You have 2G, 3G, 4G, and 4G LTE. Phones that are LTE aren't compatible with Family Mapping, so they did their magic and "turned off" the LTE on that phone. It's still 4G though. So- if you have LTE this is the problem. You can call, and this can be turned off, and Fam map will work again! At least it did with us..

I think I know the problem. I recently ran into this issue after we did an upgrade. We went from Blackberry to Samsung Galaxy S4. Family mapping didn't work after this, so I spoke with tech people. They researched the issue, and told me it was the LTE. You have 2G, 3G, 4G, and 4G LTE. Phones that are LTE aren't compatible with Family Mapping, so they did their magic and "turned off" the LTE on that phone. It's still 4G though. So- if you have LTE this is the problem. You can call, and this can be turned off, and Fam map will work again! At least it did with us..

8 of 9 (2,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:57:29 AM
(0)
Expert

wonderwoman1982 wrote:

the s3 is not a lte phone

wonderwoman1982 wrote:

the s3 is not a lte phone

9 of 9 (2,198 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments