FaceTime no longer working on iPhone 4

Highlighted
Tutor

FaceTime no longer working on iPhone 4

Hello everyone,

My wife and I both have iPhone 4 (plural), mine is several years old, hers was purchased new in July of this year.

We had been using FaceTime to keep in touch with family, however, my last successful FaceTime call was made on August 31, 2013.  Since then I have not been able to either receive or initiate a FaceTime call.  Hers, however, works perfectly.

There is considerable discussion about this p[problem on the Apple Support forums, and it appears that the only solution for those of us affected by this problem is to do a factory reset on the iPhone and set it up as a new device.

Any attempt to  restore from a backup (either iTunes or iCloud) following this reset brings back the problem -- it appears to be something to do with S/W and possible changes to how FaceTime calls are now routed.

My question is this:  can I do a factory reset and setup as a new device without using iTunes?  iOS 7 requires iTunes 11 in order for the device to be recognized -- I am using a PowerPC macintosh computer, which means that iTunes 10 is the latest version of iTunes that I can run.

If I do an Erase All Content and Settings from my iPhone 4 GSM, should I be able to accomplish this over my WiFI?  Will my phone re-activate normally?

I know that my iPhone will then be udated to iOS 7 and I will loose the ability to sync it via iTunes 10 on my computer.

Thanks in advance,

Bill 

Message 1 of 4 (669 Views)
Guru

Re: FaceTime no longer working on iPhone 4

[ Edited ]

Williamt1 wrote:

Hello everyone,

My wife and I both have iPhone 4 (plural), mine is several years old, hers was purchased new in July of this year.

We had been using FaceTime to keep in touch with family, however, my last successful FaceTime call was made on August 31, 2013.  Since then I have not been able to either receive or initiate a FaceTime call.  Hers, however, works perfectly.

There is considerable discussion about this p[problem on the Apple Support forums, and it appears that the only solution for those of us affected by this problem is to do a factory reset on the iPhone and set it up as a new device.

Any attempt to  restore from a backup (either iTunes or iCloud) following this reset brings back the problem -- it appears to be something to do with S/W and possible changes to how FaceTime calls are now routed.

My question is this:  can I do a factory reset and setup as a new device without using iTunes?  iOS 7 requires iTunes 11 in order for the device to be recognized -- I am using a PowerPC macintosh computer, which means that iTunes 10 is the latest version of iTunes that I can run.

If I do an Erase All Content and Settings from my iPhone 4 GSM, should I be able to accomplish this over my WiFI?  Will my phone re-activate normally?

I know that my iPhone will then be udated to iOS 7 and I will loose the ability to sync it via iTunes 10 on my computer.

Thanks in advance,

Bill 

Depending on your ios version (6 and up) you CAN erase all content and settings to reset the phone to factory. This will NOT update your phone though. IT will erase it to whichever firmware you have and wipe it clean.

You would just use either wifi or cellular to set up the phone. Just dont choose restore from icloud backup to set as new.

Message 2 of 4 (639 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know if my iPhone will automatically be updated to iOS 7 after doing this erase and setup?

I'm currently running iOS 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4 -- I've been reading about a lot of problems users have encountered with iOS 7.  In fact, there was an article about iOS 7 problems in this morning Tribune Review,

Bill

Message 3 of 4 (602 Views)
ACE - Master

Williamt1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know if my iPhone will automatically be updated to iOS 7 after doing this erase and setup?

I'm currently running iOS 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4 -- I've been reading about a lot of problems users have encountered with iOS 7.  In fact, there was an article about iOS 7 problems in this morning Tribune Review,

Bill

No, there is no automatic update for the OS. It will only update if you initiate it. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (599 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.