FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Expert

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

AT&T's limit of FaceTime may violate rules

http://usat.ly/TRXWpC

key word is MIGHT, it is all speculation based on what appears to be a misconception - att is not charging to use facetime, they are limiting it to the new shared data plans, no different then them limiting tethering to the crrent 50.00 a month 5gb plan.

Why try to defend this?  Facetime over wireless is no different than video skype just that one app is Apple and one is from Microsoft!  This is a bad call on ATT's part!  

Since none of us are aware of what the situation and corporate level discussion that where had on this decisions the simple fact of stating "this is a bad call" is opinin. Bottom line is thier network, their rules.

Not sure why you mention wireless - wifi facetime is not the thrust of this discussion, this is concerning facetime over the carrier owned cellular network, which the final decision on what can and cannot be done over is up to the provider of the network. 

Message 97 of 212 (2,771 Views)
Tutor

I have used Facetime maybe three times since Ive had my iPhone but this is ridiculous.  Im tired of paying almost $200/month for service and not being able to use the data I pay for how I want.   I was looking forward to getting the new iPhone since my contract is up on my current iPhone.  With this news, that new iPhone will be contracted with a different company.  When my 4S contract is up, goodbye ATT for good.  Your CEO is an i d i o t when it comes to KEEPING customers.

Message 98 of 212 (2,736 Views)
Master

A&TT has single handedly caused more bad PR with this announcement than anything else I can remember they are in every forum and tech news in a bad way wonder whats going through the shareholders and board of directors minds as they are reading all the discontent.

The Sprint camp must be getting ready to break out the champagne.

Message 99 of 212 (2,722 Views)
Professor

Besides tethering, what other 'valid' and approved applicaiton has AT&T banned from use over its network ?

a) Tethering (on all platforms/devices).

AT&T has picked a specific application that is approved by vendor and blocked it if users do not migrate to a more expensive data plan (pay-to-play).

FaceTime's competitor applications (Skype) are not limited this way.

While AT&T 'owns' the network, picking protocols and applications to be allowed to be used without 'paying more'  (we're already paying per GB - I don't see an issue).

AT&T's method of discrimination brings up new lows on how AT&T is attempting to recoup costs of owning an Apple product.  It has also been reported that AT&T doesn't exactly have the Apple products 'promoted' (I guess they don't need it), as there's little profit to be made on Apple products vs. Android or MS WinPhone, and this is their feeble attempt at recouping cost.

Message 100 of 212 (2,717 Views)
Scholar

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

sandblaster wrote:

Here is the actual statement released by AT&T: "AT&T will offer FaceTime over Cellular as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans, which were created to meet customers’ growing data needs at a great value. With Mobile Share, the more data you use, the more you save. FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers."

Just want to point out that nowhere in this statement does it say that "only" mobile share plans will support Facetime over cellular nor does it state that FaceTime over cellular will be blocked or disallowed on other data plans. If you remember, several weeks ago many were speculating that AT&T was planning to charge extra for FaceTime over cellular. The above statement only verifies that Facetime over cellular will not incur any extra charge for those on a shared mobile plan. What happens on other data plans could still be anything from not allowed to additional charge to fully supported at no extra charge. Unless a more definitive statement is released, we won't really know until iOS 6 is released.

You're right, but the fact that they explicitly mention "Mobile Share" instead of simply just saying "all qualified plans" clearly implies that AT&T is definitely thinking about whether to restrict Facetime over cellular usage to just Mobile Share plans.

Message 119 of 212 (2,664 Views)
Contributor

AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

[ Edited ]

I've been using AT&T as my cell phone service provider for more than 10 years, but I'm seriously considering moving to Sprint, if AT&T limits FaceTime calling to shared data plans.

There more about this here: AT&T's FaceTime limits might conflict with FCC rules | Mobile - CNET News

Message 79 of 212 (3,302 Views)

Re: AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

macinlover wrote:

I've been using AT&T as my cell phone service provider for more than 10 years, but I'm seriously considering moving to Sprint, if AT&T limits FaceTime calling to shared data plans.

There more about this here: AT&T's FaceTime limits might conflict with FCC rules | Mobile - CNET News

I understand your frustration about AT&T not allowing Facetime over cellular on existing data plans. However, there are still many free third party apps like Skype, Tango, and Google+ Hangouts that allow you to make video calls over your existing data plan.

Message 91 of 212 (2,765 Views)
Mentor

Good luck with Sprint.  There data speeds are so slow you wont be able to use facetime or skype or any of them. 

Message 105 of 212 (2,722 Views)
Mentor

AT&T limited more features on the iPhone unless we pay more for them (even though the costs are not justified); say it isn't so??

Message 110 of 212 (2,718 Views)
Mentor

I just signed up with ATT and iPHone 4s Feb/March. I have 3gb data, 450 min w/ rollover, unlmited text and M2M. Do you think I will be grandfathered in?
Message 111 of 212 (2,706 Views)
Professor

Time to unlock and take my iPhone to T-Mobile.

Yes - they are running '4G' on 1900MHz here, so it will work.

Message 114 of 212 (2,704 Views)
Professor

That still doesn't solve the issue of AT&T starting to become an application gatekeeper at the OS level.

Internet is Internet... just because they want you to pay more (toll) doesn't mean it should be allowed.  I suspect that future versions may have a replacement for YouTube baked in, and require a toll as well, what's next, email ?

Message 115 of 212 (2,702 Views)
Expert

FallenAnjel wrote:
I just signed up with ATT and iPHone 4s Feb/March. I have 3gb data, 450 min w/ rollover, unlmited text and M2M. Do you think I will be grandfathered in?

grandfathered into what? The last report is that facetime will only be allowed onthe shared data plan, so there is nothing for you to be grandfathered into. You want facetime, you need to switch your plan

Message 116 of 212 (2,677 Views)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

Time to unlock and take my iPhone to T-Mobile.

Yes - they are running '4G' on 1900MHz here, so it will work.

good luck at your new carrier. Hopefully your 2 year commitment is up on your iphone so that you can get it unlocked

Message 117 of 212 (2,676 Views)
Contributor

WiFi over Cellular

ATT Just announced that they are going to make customers move over to their NEW rate plans in order to access the Wifi Over Cellular on the new Iphone. Are you Kidding Me!?!? I have been a customer for over 14 years and the fact that you are making me switch to a new rate plan that will not save me any money to use a feature that is built into my new phone is absurd! No other company (Verizon, Sprint) are charging to use this feature so what the #$@!? I have always defended this company saying they are the best but if this is a Feature that I am not Given for FREE I will terminate my contract and go somewhere else! I cant believe that ATT would do this!

Message 49 of 212 (3,051 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.