FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Professor

Re: Charge for Facetime

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Why is FaceTime in iOS 6 different from FaceTime in iOS 5?  What's the impetus for charging now?

IOS5 Facetime is wifi only, in IOS6 it becomes available on the cellular data network

Thanks to you and youngjm.  For some reason I thought that FaceTime went over cellular data starting with iOS 5.  I'm getting rusty on my iOS knowledge, I see!

Message 27 of 212 (31,955 Views)

I just find it odd that any company would need to add another charge to something that they're already charging us for. 

If/when Facetime is capable of being used on cellular data, we'll be paying for that data already.  Why add a surcharge?

It makes no more sense to me than charging for "enabling" tethering. (Yes, I know, AT&T has tethering turned on with a specific tier of data plan now, but that's only a shade less nonsensical, but still, kind of silly.)

Someone needs to explain to me, if data bandwidth is actually so tight at AT&T, how charging MORE for data, spontaneously makes MORE data bandwidth available?

If AT&T is REALLY THAT WORRIED about their data bandwidth, then they shouldn't allow Facetime to work on cellular data until they're certain they can provide the bandwidth.

Facetime doesn't make existing bandwidth more expensive, so adding any sort of surcharge is just price gouging.

Though as mentioned previously, the cellular providers will collude to all add 'facetime' surcharges so there won't be an option to avoid being double charged to use Facetime.

Message 28 of 212 (31,932 Views)
Master

Revenge Of DG wrote:

I just find it odd that any company would need to add another charge to something that they're already charging us for. 

If/when Facetime is capable of being used on cellular data, we'll be paying for that data already.  Why add a surcharge?

It makes no more sense to me than charging for "enabling" tethering. (Yes, I know, AT&T has tethering turned on with a specific tier of data plan now, but that's only a shade less nonsensical, but still, kind of silly.)

Someone needs to explain to me, if data bandwidth is actually so tight at AT&T, how charging MORE for data, spontaneously makes MORE data bandwidth available?

If AT&T is REALLY THAT WORRIED about their data bandwidth, then they shouldn't allow Facetime to work on cellular data until they're certain they can provide the bandwidth.

Facetime doesn't make existing bandwidth more expensive, so adding any sort of surcharge is just price gouging.

Though as mentioned previously, the cellular providers will collude to all add 'facetime' surcharges so there won't be an option to avoid being double charged to use Facetime.

Until they really figure out if they will charge, this is all just a guess but I think that they are protecting against the reduced usage of voice.  Do you really need a 1400 minute plan if many of your calls are going to be video?  I think that they will lean towards the option that if you enable Facetime via cellular, you cannot have the unlimited data plan just like the situation is today with tethering.  If you want it you cannot have unlimited data, you pay more, and you get a higher cap.

For those who say they will switch if ATT does charge, expect the other carriers to follow.  Always choose the network that works best for your needs and not over one policy.  The other carriers will have other policies that will hurt in other ways.  They all do.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 29 of 212 (31,929 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

21stNow wrote:

Shhh! Anton.  Don't give them any ideas!

LOL I'm sure the AT&T bean counters had been thinking about it long before I mentioned it here in this thread!

Anyways--you can bet your bottom dollar AT&T has definitely been thinking about charging extra to be able to Facetime over cellular--someone posted an iOS6 beta3 screenshot of a Facetime message box which states "To enable Facetime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit http://www.att.com/mywireless" on another site.  If they've been thinking about it enough such that they had Apple code that message in their latest iOS6 beta, odds are it's coming.

LOL the mods will probably remove the part I posted about the "enable Facetime contact AT&T" but they can't prevent anyone from Googling it....

Message 31 of 212 (3,367 Views)
Contributor

Charging for 3G Facetime

[ Edited ]

I have been a customer with ATT for a long time but if you charge us for how we use our data, we are changing carriers. The only reason we stuck with you is because you had the monopoly on the iPhone. Now that just about everyone carries the iPhone, it wont be a hard switch. I also find it horrible that you have capped "unlimited data". Slowly ATT is becoming a carrier with more limits and less benefits. 

{post merged}

Message 30 of 212 (3,418 Views)
Expert

youngjm wrote:
One more thing on face time being an iPhone feature; that is true but AT&T has to provide and support the ifrastucture to support that feature. Do not think for one second that the other carriers will not do the same thing. They may start out supporting the option for free but will eventually follow. Can you say Verizon and unlimited data plans boys and girls in the same sentence! Not for very long after they got the iPhone.

the other carriers will support it if their basic cell phone technology supports it - depending on how facetime transmits video and voice the other carriers may not be able to support it on CDMA. If it transmits put data, then you can be sure that the other carriers will follow suit..

Thing to remember with verizon, unlimited data is not only grandfathered it is gone from existing users when they upgrade - they want to pay the price for a subsidized phone, they lose their grandfathered unlimited plan, the only way of keeping it is to pay full retail for the phone - not sure that many people would like to spend 700.00 on a phone jjst to keep a unlimited data plan that could be throttled at any time

Message 32 of 212 (3,358 Views)
Master

Re: Charging for 3G Facetime

avelazquez1 wrote:

I have been a customer with ATT for a long time but if you charge us for how we use our data, we are changing carriers. The only reason we stuck with you is because you had the monopoly on the iPhone. Now that just about everyone carries the iPhone, it wont be a hard switch. I also find it horrible that you have capped "unlimited data". Slowly ATT is becoming a carrier with more limits and less benefits. 

{post merged}

Choose what works best for you.  All the carriers are the same just that one has better features in one area and pitfalls in others.  I can guarantee you that if they do charge extra, all the other carriers will follow suit!  Apple may be working with ATT on this control but it may be coming to Verizon and Sprint too!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 33 of 212 (3,355 Views)
ACE - Master

Anyways--you can bet your bottom dollar AT&T has definitely been thinking about charging extra to be able to Facetime over cellular--someone posted an iOS6 beta3 screenshot of a Facetime message box which states "To enable Facetime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit http://www.att.com/mywireless" on another site.  If they've been thinking about it enough such that they had Apple code that message in their latest iOS6 beta, odds are it's coming.

I don't think Apple had to do much coding. You get a similar response today if you try to enable hotspot and you don't have the hotspot/tehering plan, the difference of course being the term "hotspot" is in the message instead of Facetime. I'm sure it was a pretty simple code change. The only thing you can logically conclude from that is not every data plan will support Facetime but it neither proves or disproves that there will be additional charges.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 212 (3,345 Views)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

I don't think Apple had to do much coding. You get a similar response today if you try to enable hotspot and you don't have the hotspot/tehering plan, the difference of course being the term "hotspot" is in the message instead of Facetime. I'm sure it was a pretty simple code change. The only thing you can logically conclude from that is not every data plan will support Facetime but it neither proves or disproves that there will be additional charges.

Interesting point, since now there is no additional charge for teathering, but you do have to prebuy a larger initial chunk of data every month (which you'll use when tethering, yes?)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 212 (3,340 Views)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

Interesting point, since now there is no additional charge for teathering, but you do have to prebuy a larger initial chunk of data every month (which you'll use when tethering, yes?)

Under the current plans, yes you have to buy a bigger chunk of data but tethering/hotspot will be included in all of the Mobile share plans announced today, even at the lowest amount of data (1gb).
Message 36 of 212 (3,336 Views)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

Under the current plans, yes you have to buy a bigger chunk of data but tethering/hotspot will be included in all of the Mobile share plans announced today, even at the lowest amount of data (1gb).

If true, then that just goes to show that whatever AT&T's "logic" was for not offering the tethering feature on plans other than the highest-data bucket allotment one was lame at best.  If people are willing to pay for using whatever amount of data they wind up using, should it matter how much of it is used for tethering?  The fact that it appears that AT&T will soon allow tethering even on a 1 GB shared plan (again, if the above is indeed true) only shows that it doesn't cost them any more money to allow someone to use all 1 GB of data for tethering vs. using that 1 GB for non-tethering data usage.

Note--I'm not trying to argue that AT&T shouldn't charge for tethering, just that their logic for limiting the available data plan options that you can tether under doesn't make sense...especially given that users will soon be allowed to tether under a shared plan that has a data bucket as small as 1 GB.

Message 37 of 212 (3,324 Views)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

If true, then that just goes to show that whatever AT&T's "logic" was for not offering the tethering feature on plans other than the highest-data bucket allotment one was lame at best.  If people are willing to pay for using whatever amount of data they wind up using, should it matter how much of it is used for tethering?  The fact that it appears that AT&T will soon allow tethering even on a 1 GB shared plan (again, if the above is indeed true) only shows that it doesn't cost them any more money to allow someone to use all 1 GB of data for tethering vs. using that 1 GB for non-tethering data usage.

Note--I'm not trying to argue that AT&T shouldn't charge for tethering, just that their logic for limiting the available data plan options that you can tether under doesn't make sense...especially given that users will soon be allowed to tether under a shared plan that has a data bucket as small as 1 GB.

it does state that the new plans include tethering, but at a 1GB plan shared betwee 2 phones you have 500MB each, tether that will be blocwn throug quickly and go into the overage charge which I believe is 15.00 per gb.

Bottom line - new data plans, new options, nothing unusualy about that, heck up unilt April ATT wouldnot unlock a iphone, but that changed with strict requirement rules

Message 38 of 212 (3,318 Views)
Mentor

um...at&T has never justified forcing people to upgrade to the 5GB plan just to tether; just like they've never justified forcing people to add a data plan to their smartphone.  It's just rules they have in place that seem arbitary but are designed to draw in revenue

Message 39 of 212 (3,317 Views)
Mentor

I'd really just be fine if they scrapped the entire current system of plans and just starting doing this

50.00 / Unlimited MInutes/Texts/Unlimited Data (Dumbphones)

69.99 /  Unlimited Minutes/Texts + 1GB of Data

90.00 / Unlimited Minutes/Texts + 5GB of Data + Tethering

110.00 / Unlimited MInutes/Texts + 10GB of Data + Tethering

This is probably closer to what Verizon is now already doing but i'd drop the whole "access fee" that Verizon has implemented per device as I think its just plain silly (esp. considering how much those fees end up being).  These plans probably reflect reality a bit more--if revenue is declining from voice service, then stop offering metered voice service, make it all unlimted and start offering MORE data usage per month and upcharging for it.  Thats where the money is.

Message 40 of 212 (3,322 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

JulienPDX wrote:

I'd really just be fine if they scrapped the entire current system of plans and just starting doing this

50.00 / Unlimited MInutes/Texts/Unlimited Data (Dumbphones)

69.99 /  Unlimited Minutes/Texts + 1GB of Data

90.00 / Unlimited Minutes/Texts + 5GB of Data + Tethering

110.00 / Unlimited MInutes/Texts + 10GB of Data + Tethering

This is probably closer to what Verizon is now already doing but i'd drop the whole "access fee" that Verizon has implemented per device as I think its just plain silly (esp. considering how much those fees end up being).  These plans probably reflect reality a bit more--if revenue is declining from voice service, then stop offering metered voice service, make it all unlimted and start offering MORE data usage per month and upcharging for it.  Thats where the money is.

ATT Mobile share has already been announced and the pricing is already avaialble, plasns will be able to be obtained shortly. Price is different from what you envision

Message 41 of 212 (3,313 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.