Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 17, 2012
3:27:22 PM
View profile
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-...

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 7:31:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

How many families do you have? Smiley Wink j/k

But on topic--I agree that each customer will have to perform his/her own evaluation to decide whether switching to one of the Shared Plans would be more cost-effective than staying with their existing plan; I've already done my math and determined that it would not make sense for ME to switch over.  If things change in the future, sure I would reconsider...but for now I am staying with my current family plan.  As the old adage goes, YMMV...

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

But on topic--I agree that each customer will have to perform his/her own evaluation to decide whether switching to one of the Shared Plans would be more cost-effective than staying with their existing plan; I've already done my math and determined that it would not make sense for ME to switch over.  If things change in the future, sure I would reconsider...but for now I am staying with my current family plan.  As the old adage goes, YMMV...

Re: Charge for Facetime

121 of 212 (2,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 7:54:40 AM
(0)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

I have multiple family plans becasue there are more then 5 people that I pick up the bill for their cellular service.  It only costs me 9.99 a month to provide them with a phone.

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

I have multiple family plans becasue there are more then 5 people that I pick up the bill for their cellular service.  It only costs me 9.99 a month to provide them with a phone.

122 of 212 (2,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 8:03:14 AM
(0)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?

When it actually happens I will believe it, until then it is nothing but a rumor.

Lets add - I have blocked facetime and a lot of other cell phone functionality on my networks since they first come out - if it is a corporate owned phone the mac is in the permitted list, if it is not 90 percent of smartphone functionality over the wifi is blocked, personally owned phone basicly can use their brower on port 80 only and we allow email traffic though - and those accesses are packet shaped

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?

When it actually happens I will believe it, until then it is nothing but a rumor.

Lets add - I have blocked facetime and a lot of other cell phone functionality on my networks since they first come out - if it is a corporate owned phone the mac is in the permitted list, if it is not 90 percent of smartphone functionality over the wifi is blocked, personally owned phone basicly can use their brower on port 80 only and we allow email traffic though - and those accesses are packet shaped

123 of 212 (2,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 8:13:58 AM
(0)
Master

Well one thing is for sure when the newest iPhone comes out we will see if there projected sales take a hit or if the other carries follow suite and do the same like they did for texting.

To me data is data if I pay for it then why should any company regulate how I use it as long as I stay within my download limit.

This is sure to raise the eye brows of more than just the consummer and surely have the attention of the FCC regardless of what right the providers say or at least treat Skype and others in the same fasion instead of the bias.

Well one thing is for sure when the newest iPhone comes out we will see if there projected sales take a hit or if the other carries follow suite and do the same like they did for texting.

To me data is data if I pay for it then why should any company regulate how I use it as long as I stay within my download limit.

This is sure to raise the eye brows of more than just the consummer and surely have the attention of the FCC regardless of what right the providers say or at least treat Skype and others in the same fasion instead of the bias.

124 of 212 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 9:10:20 AM
(0)
Professor

You mean to say that FallendAnjel will need to change plans to use FaceTime over cellular.  It is not currently restricted over WiFi (at least not yet... we'll have to see what other legal loopholes that AT&T has to pull over customers).

Don't forget - just as AT&T have found legal methods around net neutrality on this, so can customers find legal ways around AT&T's FaceTime over cellular on an existing plan.  It is not 'banned', just not enabled.

You mean to say that FallendAnjel will need to change plans to use FaceTime over cellular.  It is not currently restricted over WiFi (at least not yet... we'll have to see what other legal loopholes that AT&T has to pull over customers).

Don't forget - just as AT&T have found legal methods around net neutrality on this, so can customers find legal ways around AT&T's FaceTime over cellular on an existing plan.  It is not 'banned', just not enabled.

Re: AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

125 of 212 (2,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 9:12:00 AM
(0)
Professor

Of course it is... I wouldn't post if it wasn't.

126 of 212 (2,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 9:16:29 AM
(0)
Professor

Yes - as once was the time to have better features / discounts on new devices with carriers on voice, AT&T is effectively doing the same thing on data.

Instead of going across the board and stating 'All activations require "current" data plans' (i.e. shared), they're performing a form of making it less attractive to stay on current plans by not allowing vendor OS features to function properly.

Yes - as once was the time to have better features / discounts on new devices with carriers on voice, AT&T is effectively doing the same thing on data.

Instead of going across the board and stating 'All activations require "current" data plans' (i.e. shared), they're performing a form of making it less attractive to stay on current plans by not allowing vendor OS features to function properly.

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

127 of 212 (2,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 10:09:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

I will be switching to Verizon if they don't change their stance on this by the time the new phone comes out.  Its a promise, not a threat.

I will be switching to Verizon if they don't change their stance on this by the time the new phone comes out.  Its a promise, not a threat.

128 of 212 (2,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 11:03:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

formercanuck wrote:

Formercanuck, can you quote the post that you are replying to or at least mention the poster's screen name?  I have no idea what the post above is in response to.

formercanuck wrote:

Formercanuck, can you quote the post that you are replying to or at least mention the poster's screen name?  I have no idea what the post above is in response to.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

129 of 212 (2,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 11:49:40 AM
(0)
Expert

oz_1 wrote:

Never seen projected sales for a iphone in any of the releases, curious as to if you have a link to the previous iphone releases that show what the projected sales where that where made by ATT, not a 3rd party publication.

Not sure why everyone is screaming FCC, a company can retrict or allow what they want over their network, broadband companies do it all the time - the fcc does nothing about it. ATT is not adding an addittional charge they are only permitting it on the new data plan, all carriers have been doing that for years - tehtering for example is resticted to a single data plan currently, this is no different.

oz_1 wrote:

Never seen projected sales for a iphone in any of the releases, curious as to if you have a link to the previous iphone releases that show what the projected sales where that where made by ATT, not a 3rd party publication.

Not sure why everyone is screaming FCC, a company can retrict or allow what they want over their network, broadband companies do it all the time - the fcc does nothing about it. ATT is not adding an addittional charge they are only permitting it on the new data plan, all carriers have been doing that for years - tehtering for example is resticted to a single data plan currently, this is no different.

130 of 212 (2,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 11:52:21 AM
(0)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

But remember that if customers find "legal ways around it" and utilize facetime over something other then the shared data plans, most, if not all carriers have a bit of a clause in there terms of service and fair use policy that allows the carrier to make changes to your account to bring it within those policies - it can and has been enforced with tethering and you can bet it can and most likely will be used in this.

formercanuck wrote:

But remember that if customers find "legal ways around it" and utilize facetime over something other then the shared data plans, most, if not all carriers have a bit of a clause in there terms of service and fair use policy that allows the carrier to make changes to your account to bring it within those policies - it can and has been enforced with tethering and you can bet it can and most likely will be used in this.

131 of 212 (2,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 1:08:13 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

My issue with and always will be if you are not going to allow FT then all the other video chat services should be treated the same  all wrong or all right no exceptions or network overload does not exist.

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

My issue with and always will be if you are not going to allow FT then all the other video chat services should be treated the same  all wrong or all right no exceptions or network overload does not exist.

132 of 212 (2,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 1:16:38 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

Yeah that line of thinking just cost Verizon 1.25 million in an FCC fine things are changing and not always for the better but time will tell and government control over things has had a tighter grip of late.

wingrider01 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

Yeah that line of thinking just cost Verizon 1.25 million in an FCC fine things are changing and not always for the better but time will tell and government control over things has had a tighter grip of late.

133 of 212 (2,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 2:02:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I sincerely hope that the management team at AT&T are paying attention to these forums. Since becoming an AT&T customer when the 3G iphone came out I have had to deal with an overloaded network, my unlimited plan being throttled, paying extra for the mobile hotspot and now they want me to get one of their new, more expensive, data plans to use FaceTime over 3G. My contract is up and I am not even going to bother calling into AT&t to complain. If this keeps up im going straight to Verizon. Enough is enough AT&T. Stop being greedy, stop taking advantage of your customers. 

I sincerely hope that the management team at AT&T are paying attention to these forums. Since becoming an AT&T customer when the 3G iphone came out I have had to deal with an overloaded network, my unlimited plan being throttled, paying extra for the mobile hotspot and now they want me to get one of their new, more expensive, data plans to use FaceTime over 3G. My contract is up and I am not even going to bother calling into AT&t to complain. If this keeps up im going straight to Verizon. Enough is enough AT&T. Stop being greedy, stop taking advantage of your customers. 

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

134 of 212 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 2:18:47 PM
(0)
Professor

That is expected... just as customers are leaving for greener pastures for the iPhones where AT&T is breaking the spirit or Net Neutrality by disabling OS level features. 

Verizon is obtaining more customers for the iPhone that AT&T is... this is a fact, even on Verizon's older CDMA network.

With LTE avaiable, I suspect that more customers will be heading that way, since most typical responses here are about the ability to handle data and pay for it.

My concern is more of AT&T becoming a firewall for any application that it feels that it can extort for profit and become a toll troll.

That is expected... just as customers are leaving for greener pastures for the iPhones where AT&T is breaking the spirit or Net Neutrality by disabling OS level features. 

Verizon is obtaining more customers for the iPhone that AT&T is... this is a fact, even on Verizon's older CDMA network.

With LTE avaiable, I suspect that more customers will be heading that way, since most typical responses here are about the ability to handle data and pay for it.

My concern is more of AT&T becoming a firewall for any application that it feels that it can extort for profit and become a toll troll.

135 of 212 (2,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 2:20:42 PM
(0)
Professor

It was to bringing my iPhones over to T-Mobile after they are unlocked, and using them on their 4G network, which in SoCal is compatible with the iPhone to iPhone 4S series on GSM/HSPA+

It was to bringing my iPhones over to T-Mobile after they are unlocked, and using them on their 4G network, which in SoCal is compatible with the iPhone to iPhone 4S series on GSM/HSPA+

136 of 212 (2,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 2:28:32 PM
(0)
Expert

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

difference is they where forcing the apps sellers to remove the bypass tethering apps for sale, att is allowing it under specific data plans, the ruling by the fcc says nothing about resticting the feature usage to specific data plans. If what you tinnk is true then all carriers would have been named in the fines for restricting users from tethering except on specific plans, it also say nothing about the carrier being allowed to change the data plan to conform to the fair use policy and terms of service to make the account feature compliant. I don;t see anything saying that att is asking / forcing apple not to release the new facetime app.

By the way the ruling also mentioned a specifc fequency block Specifically, the agency's rules for this spectrum state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."

oz_1 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

difference is they where forcing the apps sellers to remove the bypass tethering apps for sale, att is allowing it under specific data plans, the ruling by the fcc says nothing about resticting the feature usage to specific data plans. If what you tinnk is true then all carriers would have been named in the fines for restricting users from tethering except on specific plans, it also say nothing about the carrier being allowed to change the data plan to conform to the fair use policy and terms of service to make the account feature compliant. I don;t see anything saying that att is asking / forcing apple not to release the new facetime app.

By the way the ruling also mentioned a specifc fequency block Specifically, the agency's rules for this spectrum state that licensees offering service on C Block of 700 MHz spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network."

137 of 212 (2,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 2:37:36 PM
(0)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

problem is  the 4s will work on under HSPA+ only on att's network, other then that it is 3G. As far as the iphone on verizon - it is not really that suitable, I have all three for business purposes - Sprint, Verizon and ATT and in the area's where there is adequete coverage I prefer the versitility of the GSM technology over the built in limitations of same phone under CDMA technology.

Again financial figures do not prove your statement that customers are leaving in droves for greener pastures. Not very sure why you keep claiming the "toll troll" other then the same type of policy for tethering there are no surcharges being tacked on for the app.

formercanuck wrote:

problem is  the 4s will work on under HSPA+ only on att's network, other then that it is 3G. As far as the iphone on verizon - it is not really that suitable, I have all three for business purposes - Sprint, Verizon and ATT and in the area's where there is adequete coverage I prefer the versitility of the GSM technology over the built in limitations of same phone under CDMA technology.

Again financial figures do not prove your statement that customers are leaving in droves for greener pastures. Not very sure why you keep claiming the "toll troll" other then the same type of policy for tethering there are no surcharges being tacked on for the app.

138 of 212 (2,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 4:10:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Because, the "NEW" functionality is not AT&T's doing.  Apple is the one that added this capability...like they did with iMessage (which I'm sure ticks AT&T off).  I have that "NEW" functionality with iOS 5.

The truth of the matter is, the "Unlimited" data plan has been anything but.  I'll repeat it, I only use 1.2GB/mo.  That's FAR LESS than the 5GB and 10GB plans out there today.  AND, even with my "Unlimited" plan, I'll get throttled if I go over 3GB (or so I've read).

So, Czar, that's why this Grandfather believes he should get APPLE'S new functionality in iOS 6.

Because, the "NEW" functionality is not AT&T's doing.  Apple is the one that added this capability...like they did with iMessage (which I'm sure ticks AT&T off).  I have that "NEW" functionality with iOS 5.

The truth of the matter is, the "Unlimited" data plan has been anything but.  I'll repeat it, I only use 1.2GB/mo.  That's FAR LESS than the 5GB and 10GB plans out there today.  AND, even with my "Unlimited" plan, I'll get throttled if I go over 3GB (or so I've read).

So, Czar, that's why this Grandfather believes he should get APPLE'S new functionality in iOS 6.

139 of 212 (2,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 4:48:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

EVERYONE ON HERE:

If you haven't done so already, please comment on Bob Quinn's response on AT&T's Public Policy Blog.  He's AT&T's "Senior Vice President-Federal Regulatory"

http://attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/enabling-facetime-over-our-mobile-broadband-network/#comments

EVERYONE ON HERE:

If you haven't done so already, please comment on Bob Quinn's response on AT&T's Public Policy Blog.  He's AT&T's "Senior Vice President-Federal Regulatory"

http://attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/enabling-facetime-over-our-mobile-broadband-network/#comments

140 of 212 (2,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 10:32:17 PM
(0)
Master

141 of 212 (2,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 10:43:31 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by formercanuck on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:55:15 PM

T-Mobile has HSPA+ on 1900MHz (same as At&t), as well as their AWS (1700/2100) frequencies.

Toll troll is in reference to at&t requiring a special plan for a standard tcp/ip based application which at&t does not own.  

Users (for the most part) are already metered, and are paying for the data based on their plans.  This is a punitive action to have users pay more, and force them to have a smartphone.

if i had only a laptop card or tablet, i'd be forced to purchase a smartphone and Shared Plan to be able to use Facetime on the laptop - how absurd is that!

T-Mobile has HSPA+ on 1900MHz (same as At&t), as well as their AWS (1700/2100) frequencies.

Toll troll is in reference to at&t requiring a special plan for a standard tcp/ip based application which at&t does not own.  

Users (for the most part) are already metered, and are paying for the data based on their plans.  This is a punitive action to have users pay more, and force them to have a smartphone.

if i had only a laptop card or tablet, i'd be forced to purchase a smartphone and Shared Plan to be able to use Facetime on the laptop - how absurd is that!

[ Edited ]
142 of 212 (2,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 3:30:53 AM
(0)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

first off, unless your laptop is a mac facetime will not run on it second not sure where you are seeing that you would have to purchase a iphone and a shared plan, you can put 10 laptops on a shared plan and still be in line or 1 basic phone and 9 laptops, or even 1 laptop and a tablet.
The shared plan is not a "special plan" people without apple based products can sign up for it and use it, although at this time they cannot use facetime because it is IOS 6 specific. For it to be a "special plan" the criteria would be it was ONLY offered to Apple based users and no one else.

formercanuck wrote:

first off, unless your laptop is a mac facetime will not run on it second not sure where you are seeing that you would have to purchase a iphone and a shared plan, you can put 10 laptops on a shared plan and still be in line or 1 basic phone and 9 laptops, or even 1 laptop and a tablet.
The shared plan is not a "special plan" people without apple based products can sign up for it and use it, although at this time they cannot use facetime because it is IOS 6 specific. For it to be a "special plan" the criteria would be it was ONLY offered to Apple based users and no one else.

143 of 212 (2,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 7:21:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

formercanuck wrote:

You're a little ahead of reality here.  T-Mobile is working on refarming the 1900MHz band.  There are maybe three places around the country that are up and running (no official word yet) with 3G or higher on the 1900MHz band.  T-Mobile plans to have made significant progress on this by year's end but for now, the 1900MHz band is mostly Edge-only on T-Mobile.

formercanuck wrote:

You're a little ahead of reality here.  T-Mobile is working on refarming the 1900MHz band.  There are maybe three places around the country that are up and running (no official word yet) with 3G or higher on the 1900MHz band.  T-Mobile plans to have made significant progress on this by year's end but for now, the 1900MHz band is mostly Edge-only on T-Mobile.

144 of 212 (1,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 7:25:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

This isn't true.  While an iPhone specifically isn't required for the Mobile Share plan, at least one device has to be a smartphone.  None of your examples would work.

Compare and choose an AT&T Mobile Share plan

AT&T Mobile Share plans include a monthly data charge plus a monthly charge for each device you add up to a total of 10 devices. At least one smartphone is required to be part of each AT&T Mobile Share group. Includes Unlimited Talk & Text for basic phones, quick messaging phones and smartphones, FREE Mobile Hotspot for capable smartphones, and no roaming or long distance charges nationwide! Additional terms and restrictions apply.

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

This isn't true.  While an iPhone specifically isn't required for the Mobile Share plan, at least one device has to be a smartphone.  None of your examples would work.

AT&T Mobile Share plans include a monthly data charge plus a monthly charge for each device you add up to a total of 10 devices. At least one smartphone is required to be part of each AT&T Mobile Share group. Includes Unlimited Talk & Text for basic phones, quick messaging phones and smartphones, FREE Mobile Hotspot for capable smartphones, and no roaming or long distance charges nationwide! Additional terms and restrictions apply.

145 of 212 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 8:16:13 AM
(0)
Master

I know one thing they should have just kept quiet and done it rather than to admit their infrastructure just plain can't handle the load now they have heavily armed their competition with ammo on the next round of commercials.

I know one thing they should have just kept quiet and done it rather than to admit their infrastructure just plain can't handle the load now they have heavily armed their competition with ammo on the next round of commercials.

146 of 212 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 8:58:02 AM
(0)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

thanks missed that, as stated before, mobile share is not for everyone. I will continue to use the more advnaced and more refined cisco app for what I need on my current plan. It still stands this is not a "special plan" it is another data plan that has additional features and capabilities then the current tiered data plans, after all when you introduce a new feature, marketing likes to add a little more of an incentive to make it more palatable to the customers. At least you are not forcd into it and still have a choice.

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

thanks missed that, as stated before, mobile share is not for everyone. I will continue to use the more advnaced and more refined cisco app for what I need on my current plan. It still stands this is not a "special plan" it is another data plan that has additional features and capabilities then the current tiered data plans, after all when you introduce a new feature, marketing likes to add a little more of an incentive to make it more palatable to the customers. At least you are not forcd into it and still have a choice.

147 of 212 (1,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2012 12:57:15 PM
(0)
Professor

AT&T has nothing to do with new functionality of iPhone.  AT&T is just a pipe.

AT&T should not be the gatekeeper for a device.  AT&T has datacards - and has to be OS agnostic (shouldn't care if its Windows, Mac or Linux).  With that being the case, FaceTime in theory won't be disabled on MacBooks using a datacard and Facebook, yet for the iPhone, AT&T disables it.  Is AT&T going to start forcing datacards to 'Windows, Mac, Linux' dataplans ?

If that's the case - pick Linux (whole tcp stack must be enabled).

AT&T has nothing to do with new functionality of iPhone.  AT&T is just a pipe.

AT&T should not be the gatekeeper for a device.  AT&T has datacards - and has to be OS agnostic (shouldn't care if its Windows, Mac or Linux).  With that being the case, FaceTime in theory won't be disabled on MacBooks using a datacard and Facebook, yet for the iPhone, AT&T disables it.  Is AT&T going to start forcing datacards to 'Windows, Mac, Linux' dataplans ?

If that's the case - pick Linux (whole tcp stack must be enabled).

148 of 212 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2012 3:36:01 PM
(0)
Former Employee

fredflyer wrote:

One thing I want to tell you about Apple is that AT&T (just like any other carrier) wouldn't do anything iPhone related without Apple agreeing to it first. Ever. It's a well known fact. Something for you guys to think about.

fredflyer wrote:

One thing I want to tell you about Apple is that AT&T (just like any other carrier) wouldn't do anything iPhone related without Apple agreeing to it first. Ever. It's a well known fact. Something for you guys to think about.

149 of 212 (1,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 7:22:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

fredflyer wrote:

You can bet it has ticked them off...and I bet that if they could find a way to do so, AT&T would "provision" iMessage so that using it over cellular will require a subscription to one of their Mobile Share (or higher-profit generating) plans.  Just like I'm sure they're not to thrilled that people are using Google Voice and/or third-party apps like Textfree to send/receive unlimited text messages without needing to pay for some text bundle package.

fredflyer wrote:

You can bet it has ticked them off...and I bet that if they could find a way to do so, AT&T would "provision" iMessage so that using it over cellular will require a subscription to one of their Mobile Share (or higher-profit generating) plans.  Just like I'm sure they're not to thrilled that people are using Google Voice and/or third-party apps like Textfree to send/receive unlimited text messages without needing to pay for some text bundle package.

150 of 212 (1,730 Views)