Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 17, 2012
3:27:22 PM
View profile
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-...

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 4:09:25 PM
(0)
Professor

1.  Not every user is ready to eat massive ETF's

2.  Verizon's numbers are doing better than AT&T's numbers for new adds

3.  Verizon/Sprint have had only low end EVDO (3/1Mbps max) data service on their iPhones, while AT&T has up to 14Mbps... I suspect the Verizon will be eating AT&T's lunch with an LTE iPhone and no (seemly endless) 'feature adds fees' that AT&T is extorting.

1.  Not every user is ready to eat massive ETF's

2.  Verizon's numbers are doing better than AT&T's numbers for new adds

3.  Verizon/Sprint have had only low end EVDO (3/1Mbps max) data service on their iPhones, while AT&T has up to 14Mbps... I suspect the Verizon will be eating AT&T's lunch with an LTE iPhone and no (seemly endless) 'feature adds fees' that AT&T is extorting.

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

78 of 212 (3,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 8:10:42 AM
(0)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

If AT&T is blocking ports to applications, then there is a HUGE issue.

Unless Apple is using a specific port/protocol that AT&T can sniff out, then they are in violation of blocking / filtering access to what could be other applications.

Also, for those that know better, you can tunnel any protocol over SSH and be immune to AT&T's sniffers/port block.

why is it a "huge issue"? Carriers and broadband providers do it all the time, it is totally within their rights.

What I am going ot find indertesting is watching the posts when it does become available and people find out just how much celluar data allocation facetime will eat up. A test from awhile ago on a JB'd pair of iphone 4 used to do a test of cellular data usages showed that a 5 minute face time converstaion used up 14.7MB, so just about 3MB per minute, which will kill the 300 MB in just a little over an hour

formercanuck wrote:

If AT&T is blocking ports to applications, then there is a HUGE issue.

Unless Apple is using a specific port/protocol that AT&T can sniff out, then they are in violation of blocking / filtering access to what could be other applications.

Also, for those that know better, you can tunnel any protocol over SSH and be immune to AT&T's sniffers/port block.

why is it a "huge issue"? Carriers and broadband providers do it all the time, it is totally within their rights.

What I am going ot find indertesting is watching the posts when it does become available and people find out just how much celluar data allocation facetime will eat up. A test from awhile ago on a JB'd pair of iphone 4 used to do a test of cellular data usages showed that a 5 minute face time converstaion used up 14.7MB, so just about 3MB per minute, which will kill the 300 MB in just a little over an hour

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

80 of 212 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 8:15:28 AM
(0)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

Or just as important, what is more important to them... a carrier that is implementing pay to play or a carrier that isn't filtering out functionality or vendor applications until the customer pays an extra monthly fee.

not sure how you get pay to play out of the simple fact that att is limited it to a new data plan and not retrofitting it to the others, that are not going to take on any additional charges for this "feature" Verizon did the same thing - they just eliminated all other plans and sunsetted the unlimited plan by requiring people that want to retain to to pay full retail price for the phone, no subsidized allowed.

formercanuck wrote:

Or just as important, what is more important to them... a carrier that is implementing pay to play or a carrier that isn't filtering out functionality or vendor applications until the customer pays an extra monthly fee.

not sure how you get pay to play out of the simple fact that att is limited it to a new data plan and not retrofitting it to the others, that are not going to take on any additional charges for this "feature" Verizon did the same thing - they just eliminated all other plans and sunsetted the unlimited plan by requiring people that want to retain to to pay full retail price for the phone, no subsidized allowed.

81 of 212 (3,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 8:18:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

I think that it is another "enticement" to get unlimited data users to switch to Mobile Share or otherwise give up their unlimited data plans.

Note that tiered data plan users who choose not to switch to a Mobile Share plan wouldn't be able or allowed to use Facetime over cellular as well, so this restriction isn't going to affect just unlimited data plan users.

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

I think it's total crap.  It is completely another attempt to frustrate those of us that still have Unlimited Data plans to switch.  I barely exceed 1GB/mo having my Unlimited Domestic & International Data.  I simply do not use that much.  So, to add this restriction is manipulation.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

get used to it, the unlimited plan is grandfathered, there will be absolutely no additional functionality added to it. Was actually suprised they did ot sunset it like verizon is doing when they offered shared data plans here.

Never had a need for Facetime anyway - it is way to limited, use Cisco Jabber and it is light years ahead of facetime

Another alternative--whether you're a fan of it or not--is Skype.

In any case--whether people agree with it or not, bottom line is that AT&T is doing this (Facetime over cellular only for Mobile Share users) simply to generate more profit by "enticing" folks to switch over to a Mobile Share plan; yes I know I'm speaking the obvious, but I mention it just in case some AT&T shill claims that AT&T is doing this primarily to control bandwidth issues.  Nothing could be further from the truth--if that were the case, then why the change from original 2 GB tiered data plan to 3 GB one?  If bandwidth and/or excessive data consumption was the main concern, then it makes no sense to get rid of a 2 GB tiered plan and replace it with a higher-bucket one...no?

LOL at folks who continue to say that there's really no reason to jailbreak an iPhone--as long as wireless carriers continue to pull stuff like this, there will always be a need for stuff like jailbreaking to get around such limitations/restrictions.  I'm not saying that I agree with it one way or the other, but just calling it like it is.

Slight tangent:  I dunno what's lamer--Apple for making the Find My iPhone feature no longer work on any iPhone not running at least iOS5 (really stupid if you ask me, as they previously had no problem allowing it to work on any iPhone--other than perhaps the 1st-gen iPhone--running at least iOS 4.2.x), or (for the moment) AT&T and Verizon for limiting the options in order for customers to use Facetime over cellular?

so you are claiming that if you jailbreak your phone, you can get around the limitation of no carrier usage of facetime? Suspec that even if it is jailbroke that application

1. will not work becasue of blocked ports on all except the new shared plans

2. will be detected by the carrier and a force change will be made to the shared plan to being the phone into terms compliance

no thanks, tried dkype and found it distinctly lacking in a lot of areas.

No I did not "claim" (you really should proof-read other peoples' post before make such unwarranted statements) that jailbreaking will get around the (current) limitation of no Facetime over celluar, only that it's (partially) because of carrier-imposed restrictions and limitations such as what AT&T will do with Facetime is why stuff like jailbreaking exist--i.e., I was not referring specifically about Facetime but rather, using it as an example to offer my opinion.

But to address your comments about what would happen if someone were to get around the Facetime limitation via jailbreaking--#2 is indeed a possibility but not so much on #1, at least not the way AT&T is currently going about it--if that were the case, it would be impossible to implement tethering hacks that are currently available with a jailbroken iPhone.  As it is, it is currently possible to tether on a(n) jailbroken iPhone without adding the tethering plan--yes you may/will get caught but that implies that there is a way to get tethering to work without subscribing to the tethering plan; if AT&T could implement #1 for Facetime, then surely they could/would have already done something similar with the tethering option...but they haven't.  Why do you think that is?

Re: Skype--I didn't ask for your personal opinion on whether you liked Skype...all I said was that it was an alternative, regardless of whether you like it or not; your personal opinion of Skype doesn't change that fact.

wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

I think that it is another "enticement" to get unlimited data users to switch to Mobile Share or otherwise give up their unlimited data plans.

Note that tiered data plan users who choose not to switch to a Mobile Share plan wouldn't be able or allowed to use Facetime over cellular as well, so this restriction isn't going to affect just unlimited data plan users.

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

I think it's total crap.  It is completely another attempt to frustrate those of us that still have Unlimited Data plans to switch.  I barely exceed 1GB/mo having my Unlimited Domestic & International Data.  I simply do not use that much.  So, to add this restriction is manipulation.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

get used to it, the unlimited plan is grandfathered, there will be absolutely no additional functionality added to it. Was actually suprised they did ot sunset it like verizon is doing when they offered shared data plans here.

Never had a need for Facetime anyway - it is way to limited, use Cisco Jabber and it is light years ahead of facetime

Another alternative--whether you're a fan of it or not--is Skype.

In any case--whether people agree with it or not, bottom line is that AT&T is doing this (Facetime over cellular only for Mobile Share users) simply to generate more profit by "enticing" folks to switch over to a Mobile Share plan; yes I know I'm speaking the obvious, but I mention it just in case some AT&T shill claims that AT&T is doing this primarily to control bandwidth issues.  Nothing could be further from the truth--if that were the case, then why the change from original 2 GB tiered data plan to 3 GB one?  If bandwidth and/or excessive data consumption was the main concern, then it makes no sense to get rid of a 2 GB tiered plan and replace it with a higher-bucket one...no?

LOL at folks who continue to say that there's really no reason to jailbreak an iPhone--as long as wireless carriers continue to pull stuff like this, there will always be a need for stuff like jailbreaking to get around such limitations/restrictions.  I'm not saying that I agree with it one way or the other, but just calling it like it is.

Slight tangent:  I dunno what's lamer--Apple for making the Find My iPhone feature no longer work on any iPhone not running at least iOS5 (really stupid if you ask me, as they previously had no problem allowing it to work on any iPhone--other than perhaps the 1st-gen iPhone--running at least iOS 4.2.x), or (for the moment) AT&T and Verizon for limiting the options in order for customers to use Facetime over cellular?

so you are claiming that if you jailbreak your phone, you can get around the limitation of no carrier usage of facetime? Suspec that even if it is jailbroke that application

1. will not work becasue of blocked ports on all except the new shared plans

2. will be detected by the carrier and a force change will be made to the shared plan to being the phone into terms compliance

no thanks, tried dkype and found it distinctly lacking in a lot of areas.

No I did not "claim" (you really should proof-read other peoples' post before make such unwarranted statements) that jailbreaking will get around the (current) limitation of no Facetime over celluar, only that it's (partially) because of carrier-imposed restrictions and limitations such as what AT&T will do with Facetime is why stuff like jailbreaking exist--i.e., I was not referring specifically about Facetime but rather, using it as an example to offer my opinion.

But to address your comments about what would happen if someone were to get around the Facetime limitation via jailbreaking--#2 is indeed a possibility but not so much on #1, at least not the way AT&T is currently going about it--if that were the case, it would be impossible to implement tethering hacks that are currently available with a jailbroken iPhone.  As it is, it is currently possible to tether on a(n) jailbroken iPhone without adding the tethering plan--yes you may/will get caught but that implies that there is a way to get tethering to work without subscribing to the tethering plan; if AT&T could implement #1 for Facetime, then surely they could/would have already done something similar with the tethering option...but they haven't.  Why do you think that is?

Re: Skype--I didn't ask for your personal opinion on whether you liked Skype...all I said was that it was an alternative, regardless of whether you like it or not; your personal opinion of Skype doesn't change that fact.

82 of 212 (3,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 8:40:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

formercanuck wrote:

What's next ?  The 'new' Maps feature (to be removed on next iOS) is going to also require migration to a new data plan because it didn't exist in the current iPhone ?

LOL I'm sure AT&T has already thought about that...but while we're at it, let's see what else AT&T could do to push customers over to the new Shared Plans:

1) Require that customers who currently have Family unlimited text plan to switch to one of the Shared Plans in order to keep the Family unlimited text plan feature;  obviously they can't remove it directly from an active account but they can make it so that they can "push" such account holders towards the Shared plans, similar to what they're trying to do to "persuade" unlimited data plan users to switch over to one of the tiered data or Shared Plans.

2) Restrict usage of any and all video-streaming apps over cellular to those subscribed to a Shared Plan; after all, they're going to do it with Facetime--why stop there?   I was gonna mention Youtube but IIRC Apple plans to remove the Youtube app from iOS6--however, I would not put it past AT&T to put some kind of restriction on Youtube for those folks not on iOS6 or higher.  Granted AT&T would have a hard time to implement such a restriction on third-party apps such as Netflix...not unless AT&T does indeed have a lot of stroke with Apple in determining what apps are allowed to be available in the iTunes App Store, contrary to what some of the AT&T shills want you to believe otherwise.

3) Eliminate the current tethering plan and offer it only on Shared Plans.

4) Once AT&T sees that many of the folks who decide not to go with the Shared Plan option because they can just take advantage of (free) Wifi hotspots, thus leading to lower-than-desired/expected revenue and/or profit...they will restrict free access to AT&T Wifi hotspots only to those on one of their Shared Plans.

And no, these are not my original ideas--I'm sure many an AT&T bean counter has thought about these ideas many times over.

formercanuck wrote:

What's next ?  The 'new' Maps feature (to be removed on next iOS) is going to also require migration to a new data plan because it didn't exist in the current iPhone ?

LOL I'm sure AT&T has already thought about that...but while we're at it, let's see what else AT&T could do to push customers over to the new Shared Plans:

1) Require that customers who currently have Family unlimited text plan to switch to one of the Shared Plans in order to keep the Family unlimited text plan feature;  obviously they can't remove it directly from an active account but they can make it so that they can "push" such account holders towards the Shared plans, similar to what they're trying to do to "persuade" unlimited data plan users to switch over to one of the tiered data or Shared Plans.

2) Restrict usage of any and all video-streaming apps over cellular to those subscribed to a Shared Plan; after all, they're going to do it with Facetime--why stop there?   I was gonna mention Youtube but IIRC Apple plans to remove the Youtube app from iOS6--however, I would not put it past AT&T to put some kind of restriction on Youtube for those folks not on iOS6 or higher.  Granted AT&T would have a hard time to implement such a restriction on third-party apps such as Netflix...not unless AT&T does indeed have a lot of stroke with Apple in determining what apps are allowed to be available in the iTunes App Store, contrary to what some of the AT&T shills want you to believe otherwise.

3) Eliminate the current tethering plan and offer it only on Shared Plans.

4) Once AT&T sees that many of the folks who decide not to go with the Shared Plan option because they can just take advantage of (free) Wifi hotspots, thus leading to lower-than-desired/expected revenue and/or profit...they will restrict free access to AT&T Wifi hotspots only to those on one of their Shared Plans.

And no, these are not my original ideas--I'm sure many an AT&T bean counter has thought about these ideas many times over.

83 of 212 (3,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 9:39:32 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Here is the actual statement released by AT&T: "AT&T will offer FaceTime over Cellular as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans, which were created to meet customers’ growing data needs at a great value. With Mobile Share, the more data you use, the more you save. FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers."

Just want to point out that nowhere in this statement does it say that "only" mobile share plans will support Facetime over cellular nor does it state that FaceTime over cellular will be blocked or disallowed on other data plans. If you remember, several weeks ago many were speculating that AT&T was planning to charge extra for FaceTime over cellular. The above statement only verifies that Facetime over cellular will not incur any extra charge for those on a shared mobile plan. What happens on other data plans could still be anything from not allowed to additional charge to fully supported at no extra charge. Unless a more definitive statement is released, we won't really know until iOS 6 is released.

Here is the actual statement released by AT&T: "AT&T will offer FaceTime over Cellular as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans, which were created to meet customers’ growing data needs at a great value. With Mobile Share, the more data you use, the more you save. FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers."

Just want to point out that nowhere in this statement does it say that "only" mobile share plans will support Facetime over cellular nor does it state that FaceTime over cellular will be blocked or disallowed on other data plans. If you remember, several weeks ago many were speculating that AT&T was planning to charge extra for FaceTime over cellular. The above statement only verifies that Facetime over cellular will not incur any extra charge for those on a shared mobile plan. What happens on other data plans could still be anything from not allowed to additional charge to fully supported at no extra charge. Unless a more definitive statement is released, we won't really know until iOS 6 is released.

84 of 212 (3,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 9:43:58 AM
(0)
Professor

That would be similar to state that my 'app' (call it A) didn't exist before, and now that it exists, free from the vendor, with a software upgrade, AT&T wants me to pay twice for it....

1.  Data being used (that's part of all current data plans)

2.  Pay to be pushed into a more expensive shared data plan with unlimited voice/sms.

What if I only wanted a raw data - no voice plan and have nobody / no devices to share it with ?

AT&T is attempting at all costs to recoup costs on iPhones, which is understandable, but AT&T's push to pay-to-play for an application (which they don't own) is unacceptable.

That would be similar to state that my 'app' (call it A) didn't exist before, and now that it exists, free from the vendor, with a software upgrade, AT&T wants me to pay twice for it....

1.  Data being used (that's part of all current data plans)

2.  Pay to be pushed into a more expensive shared data plan with unlimited voice/sms.

What if I only wanted a raw data - no voice plan and have nobody / no devices to share it with ?

AT&T is attempting at all costs to recoup costs on iPhones, which is understandable, but AT&T's push to pay-to-play for an application (which they don't own) is unacceptable.

85 of 212 (3,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 9:45:38 AM
(0)
Professor

AT&T 'could' reap the benefits of data overage as well... but they've chosen to keep their users on WiFi for FaceTime or eat many more $$$ / month for the benefit of sharing a smaller data plan.

AT&T 'could' reap the benefits of data overage as well... but they've chosen to keep their users on WiFi for FaceTime or eat many more $$$ / month for the benefit of sharing a smaller data plan.

86 of 212 (3,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 9:54:08 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by formercanuck on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:55:31 AM

Typically, ports/applications are blocked that are

a) Server based (eg. I'm not running a web server) or SMTP relay

b) Typical file based SMB, NetBios, SNMP

These are actually listed in AT&T's ToS.

I don't see where FaceTime, an application that is supported by the vendor that AT&T is selling as a standard feature is listed as being port blocked unless you pay more.

Why do you care what people use ?  Some people may use their device for Facebook, some may use it for Twitter/SMS,Email, and some may use it for YouTube.

AT&T sends them alerts if/when they are hitting their limits.

With AT&T blocking FaceTime, what is them to stop users from using the replacement of Google Maps or Youtube when it comes available unless they pay more.  This is a slippery slope.

Typically, ports/applications are blocked that are

a) Server based (eg. I'm not running a web server) or SMTP relay

b) Typical file based SMB, NetBios, SNMP

These are actually listed in AT&T's ToS.

I don't see where FaceTime, an application that is supported by the vendor that AT&T is selling as a standard feature is listed as being port blocked unless you pay more.

Why do you care what people use ?  Some people may use their device for Facebook, some may use it for Twitter/SMS,Email, and some may use it for YouTube.

AT&T sends them alerts if/when they are hitting their limits.

With AT&T blocking FaceTime, what is them to stop users from using the replacement of Google Maps or Youtube when it comes available unless they pay more.  This is a slippery slope.

[ Edited ]
87 of 212 (3,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 10:28:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

I still read it that the only way that FaceTime will be available over cellular is with Mobile Share.  There are no other cellular data alternatives given in that statement, just the availability of Wi-fi.  Also, with this thread and other posts like it, if AT&T were going to offer it to other customers, I would think that they would have responded by now.

sandblaster wrote:

I still read it that the only way that FaceTime will be available over cellular is with Mobile Share.  There are no other cellular data alternatives given in that statement, just the availability of Wi-fi.  Also, with this thread and other posts like it, if AT&T were going to offer it to other customers, I would think that they would have responded by now.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

88 of 212 (3,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 12:50:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by edangert on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:51:43 PM

They will take unlimited plan anyway when iPhone 5 will come up and if you will do upgrade they will switch you to limited plan.

They will take unlimited plan anyway when iPhone 5 will come up and if you will do upgrade they will switch you to limited plan.

Unlimited plan untill iPhone 5 will come up

[ Edited ]
89 of 212 (3,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 12:58:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

AT&T's limit of FaceTime may violate rules

http://usat.ly/TRXWpC

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

90 of 212 (3,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 3:59:06 PM
(0)
Expert

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

key word is MIGHT, it is all speculation based on what appears to be a misconception - att is not charging to use facetime, they are limiting it to the new shared data plans, no different then them limiting tethering to the crrent 50.00 a month 5gb plan.

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

key word is MIGHT, it is all speculation based on what appears to be a misconception - att is not charging to use facetime, they are limiting it to the new shared data plans, no different then them limiting tethering to the crrent 50.00 a month 5gb plan.

93 of 212 (2,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 4:28:46 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

Why try to defend this?  Facetime over wireless is no different than video skype just that one app is Apple and one is from Microsoft!  This is a bad call on ATT's part!  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

Why try to defend this?  Facetime over wireless is no different than video skype just that one app is Apple and one is from Microsoft!  This is a bad call on ATT's part!  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

94 of 212 (2,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 8:33:36 PM
(0)
Professor

this is different than blocking tethering.

1.  Tethering was never allowed on devices... Regardless on white smartphone/dumbphone you had.  PAM was required to 'share' data.  I personally disliked the idea, as i paid for the data.

2.  This is limiting a specific app on one OS, while not performing the same to its equivalent.  Kind like saying you can share data all you want using this app, provided by Microsoft, but not the one provided by Apple unless you buy a shared data plan.

3. Are those on laptop only plans also banned from FaceTime on their laptops?

What's next?  I need a YouTube and Facebook plan?

this is different than blocking tethering.

1.  Tethering was never allowed on devices... Regardless on white smartphone/dumbphone you had.  PAM was required to 'share' data.  I personally disliked the idea, as i paid for the data.

2.  This is limiting a specific app on one OS, while not performing the same to its equivalent.  Kind like saying you can share data all you want using this app, provided by Microsoft, but not the one provided by Apple unless you buy a shared data plan.

3. Are those on laptop only plans also banned from FaceTime on their laptops?

What's next?  I need a YouTube and Facebook plan?

96 of 212 (2,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 3:46:54 AM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

Since none of us are aware of what the situation and corporate level discussion that where had on this decisions the simple fact of stating "this is a bad call" is opinin. Bottom line is thier network, their rules.

Not sure why you mention wireless - wifi facetime is not the thrust of this discussion, this is concerning facetime over the carrier owned cellular network, which the final decision on what can and cannot be done over is up to the provider of the network. 

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

As I was saying...

From USA TODAY:

Since none of us are aware of what the situation and corporate level discussion that where had on this decisions the simple fact of stating "this is a bad call" is opinin. Bottom line is thier network, their rules.

Not sure why you mention wireless - wifi facetime is not the thrust of this discussion, this is concerning facetime over the carrier owned cellular network, which the final decision on what can and cannot be done over is up to the provider of the network. 

97 of 212 (2,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 7:48:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have used Facetime maybe three times since Ive had my iPhone but this is ridiculous.  Im tired of paying almost $200/month for service and not being able to use the data I pay for how I want.   I was looking forward to getting the new iPhone since my contract is up on my current iPhone.  With this news, that new iPhone will be contracted with a different company.  When my 4S contract is up, goodbye ATT for good.  Your CEO is an i d i o t when it comes to KEEPING customers.

I have used Facetime maybe three times since Ive had my iPhone but this is ridiculous.  Im tired of paying almost $200/month for service and not being able to use the data I pay for how I want.   I was looking forward to getting the new iPhone since my contract is up on my current iPhone.  With this news, that new iPhone will be contracted with a different company.  When my 4S contract is up, goodbye ATT for good.  Your CEO is an i d i o t when it comes to KEEPING customers.

98 of 212 (2,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 8:48:54 AM
(0)
Master

A&TT has single handedly caused more bad PR with this announcement than anything else I can remember they are in every forum and tech news in a bad way wonder whats going through the shareholders and board of directors minds as they are reading all the discontent.

The Sprint camp must be getting ready to break out the champagne.

A&TT has single handedly caused more bad PR with this announcement than anything else I can remember they are in every forum and tech news in a bad way wonder whats going through the shareholders and board of directors minds as they are reading all the discontent.

The Sprint camp must be getting ready to break out the champagne.

99 of 212 (2,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 8:51:09 AM
(0)
Professor

Besides tethering, what other 'valid' and approved applicaiton has AT&T banned from use over its network ?

a) Tethering (on all platforms/devices).

AT&T has picked a specific application that is approved by vendor and blocked it if users do not migrate to a more expensive data plan (pay-to-play).

FaceTime's competitor applications (Skype) are not limited this way.

While AT&T 'owns' the network, picking protocols and applications to be allowed to be used without 'paying more'  (we're already paying per GB - I don't see an issue).

AT&T's method of discrimination brings up new lows on how AT&T is attempting to recoup costs of owning an Apple product.  It has also been reported that AT&T doesn't exactly have the Apple products 'promoted' (I guess they don't need it), as there's little profit to be made on Apple products vs. Android or MS WinPhone, and this is their feeble attempt at recouping cost.

Besides tethering, what other 'valid' and approved applicaiton has AT&T banned from use over its network ?

a) Tethering (on all platforms/devices).

AT&T has picked a specific application that is approved by vendor and blocked it if users do not migrate to a more expensive data plan (pay-to-play).

FaceTime's competitor applications (Skype) are not limited this way.

While AT&T 'owns' the network, picking protocols and applications to be allowed to be used without 'paying more'  (we're already paying per GB - I don't see an issue).

AT&T's method of discrimination brings up new lows on how AT&T is attempting to recoup costs of owning an Apple product.  It has also been reported that AT&T doesn't exactly have the Apple products 'promoted' (I guess they don't need it), as there's little profit to be made on Apple products vs. Android or MS WinPhone, and this is their feeble attempt at recouping cost.

100 of 212 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 7:06:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

You're right, but the fact that they explicitly mention "Mobile Share" instead of simply just saying "all qualified plans" clearly implies that AT&T is definitely thinking about whether to restrict Facetime over cellular usage to just Mobile Share plans.

sandblaster wrote:

You're right, but the fact that they explicitly mention "Mobile Share" instead of simply just saying "all qualified plans" clearly implies that AT&T is definitely thinking about whether to restrict Facetime over cellular usage to just Mobile Share plans.

119 of 212 (2,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 1:45:31 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by macinlover on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:46:30 AM

I've been using AT&T as my cell phone service provider for more than 10 years, but I'm seriously considering moving to Sprint, if AT&T limits FaceTime calling to shared data plans.

There more about this here: AT&T's FaceTime limits might conflict with FCC rules | Mobile - CNET News

I've been using AT&T as my cell phone service provider for more than 10 years, but I'm seriously considering moving to Sprint, if AT&T limits FaceTime calling to shared data plans.

There more about this here: AT&T's FaceTime limits might conflict with FCC rules | Mobile - CNET News

AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

[ Edited ]
79 of 212 (3,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 1:43:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

macinlover wrote:

I understand your frustration about AT&T not allowing Facetime over cellular on existing data plans. However, there are still many free third party apps like Skype, Tango, and Google+ Hangouts that allow you to make video calls over your existing data plan.

macinlover wrote:

I understand your frustration about AT&T not allowing Facetime over cellular on existing data plans. However, there are still many free third party apps like Skype, Tango, and Google+ Hangouts that allow you to make video calls over your existing data plan.

Re: AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

91 of 212 (2,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 1:22:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

Good luck with Sprint.  There data speeds are so slow you wont be able to use facetime or skype or any of them. 

Good luck with Sprint.  There data speeds are so slow you wont be able to use facetime or skype or any of them. 

105 of 212 (2,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 3:40:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

AT&T limited more features on the iPhone unless we pay more for them (even though the costs are not justified); say it isn't so??

AT&T limited more features on the iPhone unless we pay more for them (even though the costs are not justified); say it isn't so??

110 of 212 (2,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 6:32:46 PM
(0)
Mentor
I just signed up with ATT and iPHone 4s Feb/March. I have 3gb data, 450 min w/ rollover, unlmited text and M2M. Do you think I will be grandfathered in?
I just signed up with ATT and iPHone 4s Feb/March. I have 3gb data, 450 min w/ rollover, unlmited text and M2M. Do you think I will be grandfathered in?
~~Sent from my iPhone

111 of 212 (2,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 9:16:32 PM
(0)
Professor

Time to unlock and take my iPhone to T-Mobile.

Yes - they are running '4G' on 1900MHz here, so it will work.

114 of 212 (2,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 9:19:01 PM
(0)
Professor

That still doesn't solve the issue of AT&T starting to become an application gatekeeper at the OS level.

Internet is Internet... just because they want you to pay more (toll) doesn't mean it should be allowed.  I suspect that future versions may have a replacement for YouTube baked in, and require a toll as well, what's next, email ?

That still doesn't solve the issue of AT&T starting to become an application gatekeeper at the OS level.

Internet is Internet... just because they want you to pay more (toll) doesn't mean it should be allowed.  I suspect that future versions may have a replacement for YouTube baked in, and require a toll as well, what's next, email ?

115 of 212 (2,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 3:31:04 AM
(0)
Expert

FallenAnjel wrote:

grandfathered into what? The last report is that facetime will only be allowed onthe shared data plan, so there is nothing for you to be grandfathered into. You want facetime, you need to switch your plan

FallenAnjel wrote:

grandfathered into what? The last report is that facetime will only be allowed onthe shared data plan, so there is nothing for you to be grandfathered into. You want facetime, you need to switch your plan

116 of 212 (2,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 3:31:47 AM
(0)
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

good luck at your new carrier. Hopefully your 2 year commitment is up on your iphone so that you can get it unlocked

formercanuck wrote:

good luck at your new carrier. Hopefully your 2 year commitment is up on your iphone so that you can get it unlocked

117 of 212 (2,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 7:51:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

ATT Just announced that they are going to make customers move over to their NEW rate plans in order to access the Wifi Over Cellular on the new Iphone. Are you Kidding Me!?!? I have been a customer for over 14 years and the fact that you are making me switch to a new rate plan that will not save me any money to use a feature that is built into my new phone is absurd! No other company (Verizon, Sprint) are charging to use this feature so what the #$@!? I have always defended this company saying they are the best but if this is a Feature that I am not Given for FREE I will terminate my contract and go somewhere else! I cant believe that ATT would do this!

ATT Just announced that they are going to make customers move over to their NEW rate plans in order to access the Wifi Over Cellular on the new Iphone. Are you Kidding Me!?!? I have been a customer for over 14 years and the fact that you are making me switch to a new rate plan that will not save me any money to use a feature that is built into my new phone is absurd! No other company (Verizon, Sprint) are charging to use this feature so what the #$@!? I have always defended this company saying they are the best but if this is a Feature that I am not Given for FREE I will terminate my contract and go somewhere else! I cant believe that ATT would do this!

WiFi over Cellular

49 of 212 (2,770 Views)