FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Expert

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Constance Wynn wrote:

This is not fair at all. I hope ATT gets their head on straight soon and allows anyone with a capable phone to be able to FT anytime, anywhere.

they just altered it - shared and tiered plans can do it now. Would not hold my breath for unlimited since it is a discontinued plan and they rarely(if ever) add features to them

Message 196 of 212 (5,310 Views)
Expert

HectorAponte67 wrote:
Apple open FaceTime over cellular for all iPhone 5, but AT&T is the only carrier that block it. That is Way to get more money and greedy. Especially if my data plan is "Unlimited"...

then suggest you head to sprint, you can have your unlimited data and be able to do facetime they are the only one of the three that have active unlimited data plans

Message 197 of 212 (5,308 Views)

I would like to see that from ATT. All I can find on this matter is that FT will only be for iPhone 5 users. 

Message 198 of 212 (5,296 Views)
Professor

Check the Data services and features forum (I'm not sure that I got the name right). I posted a thread there that has "Thanks AT&T" in the title and I included a link from AT&T's blog where they announced it.
Message 199 of 212 (5,273 Views)
Master

Constance Wynn wrote:

I would like to see that from ATT. All I can find on this matter is that FT will only be for iPhone 5 users. 

This is correct, The phone must support LTE for  FT to work on a tiered data plan.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 200 of 212 (5,214 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

youngjm wrote:

Constance Wynn wrote:

This is correct, The phone must support LTE for  FT to work on a tiered data plan.

LOL, AT&T surely should be commended for "loosening their restriction" on Facetime over cellular usage--not!  I mean, how many LTE-capable devices does AT&T currently offer that are capable of doing Facetime over cellular (yes I know that there is an iPad model that is capable of LTE but let's be real here...how many LTE-capable iPad devices are actually subscribed to AT&T's wireless service?)  Offer it on the tiered data plan...but only if you're using an LTE device?  And if someone's gonna argue that there are "lots and lots" of iPhone 5 users...then why restrict it to just the tiered plans?  I see no reason why unlimited LTE data plan users should be restricted from using Facetime over cellular with an iPhone 5, as far as data usage is concerned--unlimited LTE data plan users get throttled once they go past 5 GB so it's not as if they could possibly overwhelm AT&T's network anyway.

Message 201 of 212 (5,206 Views)
Highlighted
Voyager

AT&T doesn't care about its customers. All they care about is the bottom line. After AT&T offered the unlimited data plan they realized they could capitalize on tiered plans where they can charge for overages. Good news though T-mobile is expanding their network and upgrading their sites and most are now compatible for the iPhone 5. This is where the 4 billion dollars given to them from AT&T being used for. AT&T is trying to recuperate this money by billing you for every little thing. T-mobile doe not restrict face time. You can pay one of many on eBay to factory unlock your iPhone and move to T-mobile. My daughter already moved and she loves it, I may be moving soon!

Message 202 of 212 (3,762 Views)
Professor

It would be years -- if ever -- before T Mobile's network would be anywhere near "compatible" enough for comparable use of the iPhone. It's an unfortunate fact of life for many that you pay for the products and services you want.

I can only speak for myself, but for the level of service I'm getting, AT&T is worth every penny. The good news is, as you mentioned, there are choices. And varying levels of services/amenities.
Message 203 of 212 (3,741 Views)
ACE - Master

Perhaps there is good news for use of Facetime over cellular for those with the unlimited data plan. I found this statement issued by AT&T in response to claims AT&T was blocking Google+ Hangouts video:

All AT&T Mobility customers can use any video chat app over cellular that is not pre-loaded on their device, but which they download from the Internet. For video chat apps that come pre-loaded on devices, we offer all OS and device makers the ability for those apps to work over cellular for our customers who are on Mobile Share, Tiered and soon Unlimited plan customers who have LTE devices. It's up to each OS and device makers to enable their systems to allow pre-loaded video chat apps to work over cellular for our customers on those plans.

Reference article here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/google-hangouts-video-chat-att/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 204 of 212 (1,968 Views)
Scholar

sandblaster--I hope that (Facetime over cellular for unlimited data plan users) does come to fruition; after all, I don't see how removing that restriction would be an issue for AT&T since unlimited data plan users would be throttled if they go over their "limit" (3 GB for non-LTE, 5 GB for LTE), no matter what they choose to consume their cellular data on.  What makes using Facetime over cellular on an unlimited plan so uniquely different from say, using Netflix or Skype over cellular over the same plan such that AT&T has chosen to not allow Facetime over cellular for unlimited data plan users?  To put things into perspective--that would sorta kinda be like AT&T deciding to not allow those users who don't subscribe to a messaging plan to be able to use iMessage over cellular..and you can bet they probably thought about doing just that, given the proliferation of non-native messaging apps such as iMessage, Textfree, and Google Voice that allow users to message each other without the need to subscribe to a wireless carrier text messaging plan.

Message 205 of 212 (1,888 Views)
Scholar

Update--looks like AT&T is already rolling out Facetime over cellular for LTE Unlimited Plan users...I checked my iPhone 5 just a moment ago and noticed the "Use Cellular Data" for Facetime toggle is now "ON" (I did not previously toggle it to ON since any attempt by me to do that prior to today would have given me the contact AT&T message and subsequently toggle it back to OFF); just for grins I toggled it OFF and then back to ON--no contact AT&T message.

Thanks AT&T!

Message 206 of 212 (1,809 Views)

I just noticed this as well. I'm thinking it happened with the latest update. My husband is one update behind me and he can not FaceTime over cellular and we both have iPhone 5's 

Message 207 of 212 (1,794 Views)
ACE - Master

I first read this replay about 12 hours ago and I couldn't turn on facetime over cellular then (I tried).  About 10-15 minutes later, I had to restart my iPhone and afterwards, I happened to check again, and at that time I noticed that facetime over cellular was on.  I turned it off then back on with no issues.  I have an iPhone 5 and still have my unlimited data plan from when I got my first Blackberry about 2 years before I got an iPhone 3G.

Of course, the other comments are correct in that using facetime over cellular is just going to make it so that we hit that 5GB throttling cap sooner...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 208 of 212 (1,753 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Slightly off-topic, but IMHO AT&T should roll out tethering/hotspot at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE Unlimited data plan users as well.  Now before you ask as to why should AT&T bother doing that, keep in mind that initially, Facetime over cellular was made available (at no additional charge) only to Mobile Share plan users...then it was made available--again, at no additional charge--to individual tiered data plan users...and now it's being rolled out to LTE Unlimited data plan users--here too, at no additional charge.  I mean, what exactly does AT&T have to lose by offering tethering at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE unlimited plan users since tethering is already offered at no additional charge for Mobile Share plan users?  If users of either of these two groups choose use up their allotted data bucket from a combination of surfing/video streaming/tethering, then they would automatically either get charged another $10/GB or throttled, respectively.  Sure, AT&T may lose revenue from no longer selling a la carte tethering plans to individual tiered data plan users...but look at it this way--AT&T could have easily elected to make Facetime over cellular an a la carte feature available at an additional cost to non-Mobile Share plan users but they chose not to do so.

Message 209 of 212 (1,741 Views)
ACE - Master

jane697 wrote:

Slightly off-topic, but IMHO AT&T should roll out tethering/hotspot at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE Unlimited data plan users as well.  Now before you ask as to why should AT&T bother doing that, keep in mind that initially, Facetime over cellular was made available (at no additional charge) only to Mobile Share plan users...then it was made available--again, at no additional charge--to individual tiered data plan users...and now it's being rolled out to LTE Unlimited data plan users--here too, at no additional charge.  I mean, what exactly does AT&T have to lose by offering tethering at no additional charge to individual tiered and LTE unlimited plan users since tethering is already offered at no additional charge for Mobile Share plan users?  If users of either of these two groups choose use up their allotted data bucket from a combination of surfing/video streaming/tethering, then they would automatically either get charged another $10/GB or throttled, respectively.  Sure, AT&T may lose revenue from no longer selling a la carte tethering plans to individual tiered data plan users...but look at it this way--AT&T could have easily elected to make Facetime over cellular an a la carte feature available at an additional cost to non-Mobile Share plan users but they chose not to do so.

I happen to agree with you but I can't see this happening for unlimited plan owners for the simple reason right now it is only available on one individual plan, $50/5GB. If they make it available to the 3GB plan owners, they would end up still paying $50 if they actually used 5GB but if you make it available to unlimited plan (on LTE) owners, they would only be paying $30 even if they used 5GB (I am assuming that facetime over cellular won't work once throttling kicks in). Of course another alternative would be to lower the throttling limit to 3GB for LTE users but I doubt many people would accept that to get hotspot but I'd be willing to give up my unlimited plan if hotspot was included at no extra charge on the 3GB plan.

Message 210 of 212 (1,718 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.