FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Expert

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

dwill05 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote

Official - not supported

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192

Looks like the CDMA folks got dissed by Apple since other CDMA LTE phones can do it according to the comments.  Bet there are going to be some entertaining postings over at the Verizon and Sprint forums

One of the comments at the bottom is interesting.  It says that AT&T phones have to fall back to 3G to do it, so it doesn't really work with AT&T LTE either. 

dwill05 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote

Official - not supported

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192

Looks like the CDMA folks got dissed by Apple since other CDMA LTE phones can do it according to the comments.  Bet there are going to be some entertaining postings over at the Verizon and Sprint forums

One of the comments at the bottom is interesting.  It says that AT&T phones have to fall back to 3G to do it, so it doesn't really work with AT&T LTE either. 

there already are - and that was before this hit the airwaves

Message 181 of 212 (7,606 Views)
Professor

Re: Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

sandblaster wrote:

21stNow wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

hancock8305 wrote:

eveyrbody knows the iPhone5 was announced yesterday, and will be releasing on the 21st. of this month. Verizon issued a statement yesterday stating they will NOT be charging customers to use FaceTime over cellular, in fact all customers with some form of a data plan will be allowed to use FaceTime over cellular at NO EXTRA COST!!! Seems ATT is the only carrier that is going to be charging for this built in feature. What kind of crap is this?? how can a number 3 carrier (sprint) offer the service at no extra cost to the customer but ATT can't? Is Verizon truly that much better than ATT, I'm starting to believe this as each month passes. This is the last straw for me, 8 year customer leaving due to corporate greed.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/13/verizon_to_allow_cellular_facetime_use_across_all_data_pla...

AT&T is not charging for this either. The difference is AT&T has only stated they will support this on the shared data plan. Even though the media has interpreted that as meaning they won't support it on any other data plan, I contend they have not specifically said they wouldn't support it on other data plans and am hopeful they still will. 

Since Verizon is also forcing anyone who upgrades to the iphone5 at the susidized price to switch their share plan, I don't see this announcement as that big of a concession. 

Verizon Wireless isn't forcing people to shared plans if they upgrade.  They can choose the tiered data plans as well as the shared data plans.  It's just that the customer will not be able to keep unlimited data with a subsidized upgrade.

If they want the iphone5 at the subsidized price, they have to switch to a share everything plan. In order to keep an existing plan, they will have to pay full price for the new iphone. Source: LA Times

"Now new customers who buy the iPhone 5 from Verizon will have to get the company's Shared Everything plan. They don't have a choice.

As for existing Verizon customers, they can choose to stay on their current plan or switch to Share Everything. However, if they don't switch they won't get the iPhone 5 at its $199 subsidized price."

The LA Times got it wrong (as a lot of the newspapers do when it comes to technology-related stories).  You can go to Verizon Wireless' website and see that this is not the case.  Existing customers can stay on their current voice and text plans.  If they have unlimited data, they have to switch to a tiered data plan if they want a subsidized upgrade.

VZW reps are even encouraging people to play the upgrade line switch/add-a-line-and-transfer-phone-to-another line to get people who want to keep their unlimited data plans to buy new phones.  I don't know how long that will last, but many of their customers are playing the game as we speak (type).  It's an artificial boost to VZW's subscriber base, so they look better to the investors.

From the VZW website:

I have unlimited data on my account. Do I need to change to the Share EverythingSM Plan if I want to get a new device?

You’re not required to switch to the Share Everything Plan, but if you do, you won’t be able to keep your unlimited data package. When you upgrade, you can choose from a voice plan with a standalone data package or the Share Everything Plan. If you want to keep unlimited data, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.

Message 182 of 212 (7,399 Views)
Scholar

Re: Verizon wireless NOT charging for FaceTime over cellular, ATT is losing a customer!

Some food for thought--one of AT&T's arguments as to why they can restrict usage of Facetime over cellular in the manner that they plan to do was that Facetime is a "built-in app" and as such, does not fall under "Net Neutrality" rules...that, plus there are other third-party apps (e.g., Skype) that offer similar video chat capabilities over cellular so AT&T believes that they are within their right to limit how Facetime over cellular is used/offered; if that's the case, then why is iMessage allowed over cellular?  It too, like Facetime, is a "built-in app"...yet there is no similar restriction of its use over cellular like how it is/will be with Facetime over cellular...and there are plenty of apps that offer similar chat/texting functions that work without restriction over cellular.

So what gives, AT&T?  And yes, that was a rhetorical question since I don't expect any AT&T representatives to answer that question here in this forum...

Message 183 of 212 (7,277 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

jane697 wrote:

Some food for thought--one of AT&T's arguments as to why they can restrict usage of Facetime over cellular in the manner that they plan to do was that Facetime is a "built-in app" and as such, does not fall under "Net Neutrality" rules...that, plus there are other third-party apps (e.g., Skype) that offer similar video chat capabilities over cellular so AT&T believes that they are within their right to limit how Facetime over cellular is used/offered; if that's the case, then why is iMessage allowed over cellular?  It too, like Facetime, is a "built-in app"...yet there is no similar restriction of its use over cellular like how it is/will be with Facetime over cellular...and there are plenty of apps that offer similar chat/texting functions that work without restriction over cellular.

So what gives, AT&T?  And yes, that was a rhetorical question since I don't expect any AT&T representatives to answer that question here in this forum...

jane697 wrote:

their choice - they could hve taken the route of verizon, all individual plans are gone, those that are grandfathered can keep them, new customers are required to get shared plans, those customers with grandfathered unlimited plan are required to choose the shared plan if they want a discounted phone, if not then they are required to pay full retail price for the new device.

If you want to blow your data allotment with that app then you want to change your plan, if not continue with wifi connectivitiy. Personnal do video conferencing over cellular with a application that is light years ahead of facetime in fucntionality and quality, been doing it for awhile

Message 184 of 212 (7,242 Views)
Teacher

What I have heard is that you can use facetime on 4g lte. EXCEPT if you have the unlimited grandfathered in plan. If you are grandfathered in with unlimited data you will be punished and not allowed to use. BAHH ATT way of trying to make those unlimited plans disappear

Message 185 of 212 (7,189 Views)
Expert

topdog417 wrote:

What I have heard is that you can use facetime on 4g lte. EXCEPT if you have the unlimited grandfathered in plan. If you are grandfathered in with unlimited data you will be punished and not allowed to use. BAHH ATT way of trying to make those unlimited plans disappear

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan, none of the current tiered plans are authorized to utilize it either. Havs absolutely nothing to do with getting rid of the unlimited plan, although verizon has a pretty acceptable method of making the end user get rid of their grandfathered unlimited plan - unless they have deep pockets and don;t mind spending between 500 - 1000 for a phone upgrade.

Message 186 of 212 (7,179 Views)
Teacher

topdog417 wrote:

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan, none of the current tiered plans are authorized to utilize it either. Havs absolutely nothing to do with getting rid of the unlimited plan, although verizon has a pretty acceptable method of making the end user get rid of their grandfathered unlimited plan - unless they have deep pockets and don;t mind spending between 500 - 1000 for a phone upgrade.

OK Wingrider so whats the reason unlimited data grandfathered plans can't use Facetime????
Message 187 of 212 (7,129 Views)
Teacher

Could it be to entice you to change to one of the shared plans??? Hmmm
Message 188 of 212 (7,128 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

topdog417 wrote:

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan...

So much for the Facebook integration that's being touted in iOS6...and yes I know it was just a typo on your part but I couldn't help but try to come up with a facetious comment in response to it. Smiley Wink

Message 189 of 212 (6,971 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

topdog417 wrote:

You heard wrong - the only plan that facebook can be used on is the shared plan...

So much for the Facebook integration that's being touted in iOS6...and yes I know it was just a typo on your part but I couldn't help but try to come up with a facetious comment in response to it. Smiley Wink

normally call it something else, for as useless as it is, but that would be moderated. Same with all Social "sites" (have another name for them but that would be moderated also). needless to say they are 100 percent blocked

Message 190 of 212 (6,943 Views)
Voyager

I have been a loyal customer for 10 years. I've had a total of 8 lines, 7 at present. Mobile share DOES NOT work for my consumer needs and I'm being penalized for not switching by having restricted access to features of the iphone I purchased. My Verizon and Sprint counterparts now have an advantage over me. So AT&T, what are you going to do about it in order to keep my business! 

Message 191 of 212 (6,762 Views)
Tutor

Are there any figures on how much data on average Facetime actually uses?

Message 192 of 212 (6,722 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so disappointed,... My 91 year old mother uses FaceTime to communicate with me as she cant hear and reads lips. I bought the best plan I could get from AT&T years ago (Unlimited). Now AT&T wants me off the Unlimited Plan by forcing me to change to lower plan for FaceTime.... [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 193 of 212 (5,954 Views)
Contributor

Apple open FaceTime over cellular for all iPhone 5, but AT&T is the only carrier that block it. That is Way to get more money and greedy. Especially if my data plan is "Unlimited"...
Message 194 of 212 (5,841 Views)

This is not fair at all. I hope ATT gets their head on straight soon and allows anyone with a capable phone to be able to FT anytime, anywhere.

Message 195 of 212 (5,324 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.