FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Scholar

Re: Charge for Facetime

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

How many families do you have? Smiley Wink j/k

But on topic--I agree that each customer will have to perform his/her own evaluation to decide whether switching to one of the Shared Plans would be more cost-effective than staying with their existing plan; I've already done my math and determined that it would not make sense for ME to switch over.  If things change in the future, sure I would reconsider...but for now I am staying with my current family plan.  As the old adage goes, YMMV...

Message 121 of 212
Expert

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

How many families do you have? Smiley Wink j/k

But on topic--I agree that each customer will have to perform his/her own evaluation to decide whether switching to one of the Shared Plans would be more cost-effective than staying with their existing plan; I've already done my math and determined that it would not make sense for ME to switch over.  If things change in the future, sure I would reconsider...but for now I am staying with my current family plan.  As the old adage goes, YMMV...

I have multiple family plans becasue there are more then 5 people that I pick up the bill for their cellular service.  It only costs me 9.99 a month to provide them with a phone.

Message 122 of 212
Expert

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?

When it actually happens I will believe it, until then it is nothing but a rumor.

Lets add - I have blocked facetime and a lot of other cell phone functionality on my networks since they first come out - if it is a corporate owned phone the mac is in the permitted list, if it is not 90 percent of smartphone functionality over the wifi is blocked, personally owned phone basicly can use their brower on port 80 only and we allow email traffic though - and those accesses are packet shaped

Message 123 of 212
Master

Well one thing is for sure when the newest iPhone comes out we will see if there projected sales take a hit or if the other carries follow suite and do the same like they did for texting.

To me data is data if I pay for it then why should any company regulate how I use it as long as I stay within my download limit.

This is sure to raise the eye brows of more than just the consummer and surely have the attention of the FCC regardless of what right the providers say or at least treat Skype and others in the same fasion instead of the bias.

Message 124 of 212
Professor

Re: AT&T's FaceTime over cellular policy. Is it time to move to Sprint?

You mean to say that FallendAnjel will need to change plans to use FaceTime over cellular.  It is not currently restricted over WiFi (at least not yet... we'll have to see what other legal loopholes that AT&T has to pull over customers).

Don't forget - just as AT&T have found legal methods around net neutrality on this, so can customers find legal ways around AT&T's FaceTime over cellular on an existing plan.  It is not 'banned', just not enabled.

Message 125 of 212
Professor

Of course it is... I wouldn't post if it wasn't.

Message 126 of 212
Professor

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

Yes - as once was the time to have better features / discounts on new devices with carriers on voice, AT&T is effectively doing the same thing on data.

Instead of going across the board and stating 'All activations require "current" data plans' (i.e. shared), they're performing a form of making it less attractive to stay on current plans by not allowing vendor OS features to function properly.

Message 127 of 212
Highlighted
Tutor

I will be switching to Verizon if they don't change their stance on this by the time the new phone comes out.  Its a promise, not a threat.

Message 128 of 212
Professor

formercanuck wrote:

Of course it is... I wouldn't post if it wasn't.

Formercanuck, can you quote the post that you are replying to or at least mention the poster's screen name?  I have no idea what the post above is in response to.

Message 129 of 212
Expert

oz_1 wrote:

Well one thing is for sure when the newest iPhone comes out we will see if there projected sales take a hit or if the other carries follow suite and do the same like they did for texting.

To me data is data if I pay for it then why should any company regulate how I use it as long as I stay within my download limit.

This is sure to raise the eye brows of more than just the consummer and surely have the attention of the FCC regardless of what right the providers say or at least treat Skype and others in the same fasion instead of the bias.

Never seen projected sales for a iphone in any of the releases, curious as to if you have a link to the previous iphone releases that show what the projected sales where that where made by ATT, not a 3rd party publication.

Not sure why everyone is screaming FCC, a company can retrict or allow what they want over their network, broadband companies do it all the time - the fcc does nothing about it. ATT is not adding an addittional charge they are only permitting it on the new data plan, all carriers have been doing that for years - tehtering for example is resticted to a single data plan currently, this is no different.

Message 130 of 212
Expert

formercanuck wrote:

You mean to say that FallendAnjel will need to change plans to use FaceTime over cellular.  It is not currently restricted over WiFi (at least not yet... we'll have to see what other legal loopholes that AT&T has to pull over customers).

Don't forget - just as AT&T have found legal methods around net neutrality on this, so can customers find legal ways around AT&T's FaceTime over cellular on an existing plan.  It is not 'banned', just not enabled.

But remember that if customers find "legal ways around it" and utilize facetime over something other then the shared data plans, most, if not all carriers have a bit of a clause in there terms of service and fair use policy that allows the carrier to make changes to your account to bring it within those policies - it can and has been enforced with tethering and you can bet it can and most likely will be used in this.

Message 131 of 212
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

formercanuck wrote:

But remember that if customers find "legal ways around it" and utilize facetime over something other then the shared data plans, most, if not all carriers have a bit of a clause in there terms of service and fair use policy that allows the carrier to make changes to your account to bring it within those policies - it can and has been enforced with tethering and you can bet it can and most likely will be used in this.

My issue with and always will be if you are not going to allow FT then all the other video chat services should be treated the same  all wrong or all right no exceptions or network overload does not exist.

Message 132 of 212
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

Never seen projected sales for a iphone in any of the releases, curious as to if you have a link to the previous iphone releases that show what the projected sales where that where made by ATT, not a 3rd party publication.

Not sure why everyone is screaming FCC, a company can retrict or allow what they want over their network, broadband companies do it all the time - the fcc does nothing about it. ATT is not adding an addittional charge they are only permitting it on the new data plan, all carriers have been doing that for years - tehtering for example is resticted to a single data plan currently, this is no different.

Yeah that line of thinking just cost Verizon 1.25 million in an FCC fine things are changing and not always for the better but time will tell and government control over things has had a tighter grip of late.

Message 133 of 212
Contributor

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

I sincerely hope that the management team at AT&T are paying attention to these forums. Since becoming an AT&T customer when the 3G iphone came out I have had to deal with an overloaded network, my unlimited plan being throttled, paying extra for the mobile hotspot and now they want me to get one of their new, more expensive, data plans to use FaceTime over 3G. My contract is up and I am not even going to bother calling into AT&t to complain. If this keeps up im going straight to Verizon. Enough is enough AT&T. Stop being greedy, stop taking advantage of your customers. 

Message 134 of 212
Professor

That is expected... just as customers are leaving for greener pastures for the iPhones where AT&T is breaking the spirit or Net Neutrality by disabling OS level features. 

Verizon is obtaining more customers for the iPhone that AT&T is... this is a fact, even on Verizon's older CDMA network.

With LTE avaiable, I suspect that more customers will be heading that way, since most typical responses here are about the ability to handle data and pay for it.

My concern is more of AT&T becoming a firewall for any application that it feels that it can extort for profit and become a toll troll.

Message 135 of 212
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support