Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 17, 2012
3:27:22 PM
View profile
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 10:02:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Why is FaceTime in iOS 6 different from FaceTime in iOS 5?  What's the impetus for charging now?

IOS5 Facetime is wifi only, in IOS6 it becomes available on the cellular data network

Thanks to you and youngjm.  For some reason I thought that FaceTime went over cellular data starting with iOS 5.  I'm getting rusty on my iOS knowledge, I see!

wingrider01 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Why is FaceTime in iOS 6 different from FaceTime in iOS 5?  What's the impetus for charging now?

IOS5 Facetime is wifi only, in IOS6 it becomes available on the cellular data network

Thanks to you and youngjm.  For some reason I thought that FaceTime went over cellular data starting with iOS 5.  I'm getting rusty on my iOS knowledge, I see!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Charge for Facetime

27 of 212 (31,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 1:10:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just find it odd that any company would need to add another charge to something that they're already charging us for. 

If/when Facetime is capable of being used on cellular data, we'll be paying for that data already.  Why add a surcharge?

It makes no more sense to me than charging for "enabling" tethering. (Yes, I know, AT&T has tethering turned on with a specific tier of data plan now, but that's only a shade less nonsensical, but still, kind of silly.)

Someone needs to explain to me, if data bandwidth is actually so tight at AT&T, how charging MORE for data, spontaneously makes MORE data bandwidth available?

If AT&T is REALLY THAT WORRIED about their data bandwidth, then they shouldn't allow Facetime to work on cellular data until they're certain they can provide the bandwidth.

Facetime doesn't make existing bandwidth more expensive, so adding any sort of surcharge is just price gouging.

Though as mentioned previously, the cellular providers will collude to all add 'facetime' surcharges so there won't be an option to avoid being double charged to use Facetime.

I just find it odd that any company would need to add another charge to something that they're already charging us for. 

If/when Facetime is capable of being used on cellular data, we'll be paying for that data already.  Why add a surcharge?

It makes no more sense to me than charging for "enabling" tethering. (Yes, I know, AT&T has tethering turned on with a specific tier of data plan now, but that's only a shade less nonsensical, but still, kind of silly.)

Someone needs to explain to me, if data bandwidth is actually so tight at AT&T, how charging MORE for data, spontaneously makes MORE data bandwidth available?

If AT&T is REALLY THAT WORRIED about their data bandwidth, then they shouldn't allow Facetime to work on cellular data until they're certain they can provide the bandwidth.

Facetime doesn't make existing bandwidth more expensive, so adding any sort of surcharge is just price gouging.

Though as mentioned previously, the cellular providers will collude to all add 'facetime' surcharges so there won't be an option to avoid being double charged to use Facetime.

28 of 212 (31,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 1:42:53 PM
(0)
Master

Revenge Of DG wrote:

Until they really figure out if they will charge, this is all just a guess but I think that they are protecting against the reduced usage of voice.  Do you really need a 1400 minute plan if many of your calls are going to be video?  I think that they will lean towards the option that if you enable Facetime via cellular, you cannot have the unlimited data plan just like the situation is today with tethering.  If you want it you cannot have unlimited data, you pay more, and you get a higher cap.

For those who say they will switch if ATT does charge, expect the other carriers to follow.  Always choose the network that works best for your needs and not over one policy.  The other carriers will have other policies that will hurt in other ways.  They all do.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Revenge Of DG wrote:

Until they really figure out if they will charge, this is all just a guess but I think that they are protecting against the reduced usage of voice.  Do you really need a 1400 minute plan if many of your calls are going to be video?  I think that they will lean towards the option that if you enable Facetime via cellular, you cannot have the unlimited data plan just like the situation is today with tethering.  If you want it you cannot have unlimited data, you pay more, and you get a higher cap.

For those who say they will switch if ATT does charge, expect the other carriers to follow.  Always choose the network that works best for your needs and not over one policy.  The other carriers will have other policies that will hurt in other ways.  They all do.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

29 of 212 (31,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 2:46:25 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by anton697 on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:48:41 PM

21stNow wrote:

Shhh! Anton.  Don't give them any ideas!

LOL I'm sure the AT&T bean counters had been thinking about it long before I mentioned it here in this thread!

Anyways--you can bet your bottom dollar AT&T has definitely been thinking about charging extra to be able to Facetime over cellular--someone posted an iOS6 beta3 screenshot of a Facetime message box which states "To enable Facetime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit http://www.att.com/mywireless" on another site.  If they've been thinking about it enough such that they had Apple code that message in their latest iOS6 beta, odds are it's coming.

LOL the mods will probably remove the part I posted about the "enable Facetime contact AT&T" but they can't prevent anyone from Googling it....

21stNow wrote:

Shhh! Anton.  Don't give them any ideas!

LOL I'm sure the AT&T bean counters had been thinking about it long before I mentioned it here in this thread!

Anyways--you can bet your bottom dollar AT&T has definitely been thinking about charging extra to be able to Facetime over cellular--someone posted an iOS6 beta3 screenshot of a Facetime message box which states "To enable Facetime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit http://www.att.com/mywireless" on another site.  If they've been thinking about it enough such that they had Apple code that message in their latest iOS6 beta, odds are it's coming.

LOL the mods will probably remove the part I posted about the "enable Facetime contact AT&T" but they can't prevent anyone from Googling it....

[ Edited ]
31 of 212 (2,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 2:29:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:18:13 PM

I have been a customer with ATT for a long time but if you charge us for how we use our data, we are changing carriers. The only reason we stuck with you is because you had the monopoly on the iPhone. Now that just about everyone carries the iPhone, it wont be a hard switch. I also find it horrible that you have capped "unlimited data". Slowly ATT is becoming a carrier with more limits and less benefits. 

{post merged}

I have been a customer with ATT for a long time but if you charge us for how we use our data, we are changing carriers. The only reason we stuck with you is because you had the monopoly on the iPhone. Now that just about everyone carries the iPhone, it wont be a hard switch. I also find it horrible that you have capped "unlimited data". Slowly ATT is becoming a carrier with more limits and less benefits. 

{post merged}

Charging for 3G Facetime

[ Edited ]
30 of 212 (2,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 3:54:08 PM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:
One more thing on face time being an iPhone feature; that is true but AT&T has to provide and support the ifrastucture to support that feature. Do not think for one second that the other carriers will not do the same thing. They may start out supporting the option for free but will eventually follow. Can you say Verizon and unlimited data plans boys and girls in the same sentence! Not for very long after they got the iPhone.

the other carriers will support it if their basic cell phone technology supports it - depending on how facetime transmits video and voice the other carriers may not be able to support it on CDMA. If it transmits put data, then you can be sure that the other carriers will follow suit..

Thing to remember with verizon, unlimited data is not only grandfathered it is gone from existing users when they upgrade - they want to pay the price for a subsidized phone, they lose their grandfathered unlimited plan, the only way of keeping it is to pay full retail for the phone - not sure that many people would like to spend 700.00 on a phone jjst to keep a unlimited data plan that could be throttled at any time

youngjm wrote:
One more thing on face time being an iPhone feature; that is true but AT&T has to provide and support the ifrastucture to support that feature. Do not think for one second that the other carriers will not do the same thing. They may start out supporting the option for free but will eventually follow. Can you say Verizon and unlimited data plans boys and girls in the same sentence! Not for very long after they got the iPhone.

the other carriers will support it if their basic cell phone technology supports it - depending on how facetime transmits video and voice the other carriers may not be able to support it on CDMA. If it transmits put data, then you can be sure that the other carriers will follow suit..

Thing to remember with verizon, unlimited data is not only grandfathered it is gone from existing users when they upgrade - they want to pay the price for a subsidized phone, they lose their grandfathered unlimited plan, the only way of keeping it is to pay full retail for the phone - not sure that many people would like to spend 700.00 on a phone jjst to keep a unlimited data plan that could be throttled at any time

32 of 212 (2,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 4:14:26 PM
(0)
Master

avelazquez1 wrote:

{post merged}

Choose what works best for you.  All the carriers are the same just that one has better features in one area and pitfalls in others.  I can guarantee you that if they do charge extra, all the other carriers will follow suit!  Apple may be working with ATT on this control but it may be coming to Verizon and Sprint too!

avelazquez1 wrote:

{post merged}

Choose what works best for you.  All the carriers are the same just that one has better features in one area and pitfalls in others.  I can guarantee you that if they do charge extra, all the other carriers will follow suit!  Apple may be working with ATT on this control but it may be coming to Verizon and Sprint too!

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Charging for 3G Facetime

33 of 212 (2,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 5:42:27 PM
(0)
Employee

I don't think Apple had to do much coding. You get a similar response today if you try to enable hotspot and you don't have the hotspot/tehering plan, the difference of course being the term "hotspot" is in the message instead of Facetime. I'm sure it was a pretty simple code change. The only thing you can logically conclude from that is not every data plan will support Facetime but it neither proves or disproves that there will be additional charges.

I don't think Apple had to do much coding. You get a similar response today if you try to enable hotspot and you don't have the hotspot/tehering plan, the difference of course being the term "hotspot" is in the message instead of Facetime. I'm sure it was a pretty simple code change. The only thing you can logically conclude from that is not every data plan will support Facetime but it neither proves or disproves that there will be additional charges.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

34 of 212 (2,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 6:06:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

Interesting point, since now there is no additional charge for teathering, but you do have to prebuy a larger initial chunk of data every month (which you'll use when tethering, yes?)

sandblaster wrote:

Interesting point, since now there is no additional charge for teathering, but you do have to prebuy a larger initial chunk of data every month (which you'll use when tethering, yes?)

35 of 212 (2,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 6:59:58 PM
(0)
Employee

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

Under the current plans, yes you have to buy a bigger chunk of data but tethering/hotspot will be included in all of the Mobile share plans announced today, even at the lowest amount of data (1gb).

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

Under the current plans, yes you have to buy a bigger chunk of data but tethering/hotspot will be included in all of the Mobile share plans announced today, even at the lowest amount of data (1gb).
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

36 of 212 (2,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 8:04:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

If true, then that just goes to show that whatever AT&T's "logic" was for not offering the tethering feature on plans other than the highest-data bucket allotment one was lame at best.  If people are willing to pay for using whatever amount of data they wind up using, should it matter how much of it is used for tethering?  The fact that it appears that AT&T will soon allow tethering even on a 1 GB shared plan (again, if the above is indeed true) only shows that it doesn't cost them any more money to allow someone to use all 1 GB of data for tethering vs. using that 1 GB for non-tethering data usage.

Note--I'm not trying to argue that AT&T shouldn't charge for tethering, just that their logic for limiting the available data plan options that you can tether under doesn't make sense...especially given that users will soon be allowed to tether under a shared plan that has a data bucket as small as 1 GB.

sandblaster wrote:

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

If true, then that just goes to show that whatever AT&T's "logic" was for not offering the tethering feature on plans other than the highest-data bucket allotment one was lame at best.  If people are willing to pay for using whatever amount of data they wind up using, should it matter how much of it is used for tethering?  The fact that it appears that AT&T will soon allow tethering even on a 1 GB shared plan (again, if the above is indeed true) only shows that it doesn't cost them any more money to allow someone to use all 1 GB of data for tethering vs. using that 1 GB for non-tethering data usage.

Note--I'm not trying to argue that AT&T shouldn't charge for tethering, just that their logic for limiting the available data plan options that you can tether under doesn't make sense...especially given that users will soon be allowed to tether under a shared plan that has a data bucket as small as 1 GB.

37 of 212 (2,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 9:33:33 AM
(0)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

it does state that the new plans include tethering, but at a 1GB plan shared betwee 2 phones you have 500MB each, tether that will be blocwn throug quickly and go into the overage charge which I believe is 15.00 per gb.

Bottom line - new data plans, new options, nothing unusualy about that, heck up unilt April ATT wouldnot unlock a iphone, but that changed with strict requirement rules

anton697 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

it does state that the new plans include tethering, but at a 1GB plan shared betwee 2 phones you have 500MB each, tether that will be blocwn throug quickly and go into the overage charge which I believe is 15.00 per gb.

Bottom line - new data plans, new options, nothing unusualy about that, heck up unilt April ATT wouldnot unlock a iphone, but that changed with strict requirement rules

38 of 212 (2,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 9:46:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

um...at&T has never justified forcing people to upgrade to the 5GB plan just to tether; just like they've never justified forcing people to add a data plan to their smartphone.  It's just rules they have in place that seem arbitary but are designed to draw in revenue

um...at&T has never justified forcing people to upgrade to the 5GB plan just to tether; just like they've never justified forcing people to add a data plan to their smartphone.  It's just rules they have in place that seem arbitary but are designed to draw in revenue

39 of 212 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 9:57:11 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'd really just be fine if they scrapped the entire current system of plans and just starting doing this

50.00 / Unlimited MInutes/Texts/Unlimited Data (Dumbphones)

69.99 /  Unlimited Minutes/Texts + 1GB of Data

90.00 / Unlimited Minutes/Texts + 5GB of Data + Tethering

110.00 / Unlimited MInutes/Texts + 10GB of Data + Tethering

This is probably closer to what Verizon is now already doing but i'd drop the whole "access fee" that Verizon has implemented per device as I think its just plain silly (esp. considering how much those fees end up being).  These plans probably reflect reality a bit more--if revenue is declining from voice service, then stop offering metered voice service, make it all unlimted and start offering MORE data usage per month and upcharging for it.  Thats where the money is.

I'd really just be fine if they scrapped the entire current system of plans and just starting doing this

This is probably closer to what Verizon is now already doing but i'd drop the whole "access fee" that Verizon has implemented per device as I think its just plain silly (esp. considering how much those fees end up being).  These plans probably reflect reality a bit more--if revenue is declining from voice service, then stop offering metered voice service, make it all unlimted and start offering MORE data usage per month and upcharging for it.  Thats where the money is.

40 of 212 (2,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2012 1:51:16 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 19, 2012 at 1:52:15 PM

JulienPDX wrote:

ATT Mobile share has already been announced and the pricing is already avaialble, plasns will be able to be obtained shortly. Price is different from what you envision

JulienPDX wrote:

ATT Mobile share has already been announced and the pricing is already avaialble, plasns will be able to be obtained shortly. Price is different from what you envision

[ Edited ]
41 of 212 (2,805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2012 7:00:31 AM
(0)
Professor

Some of the reports I have seen say that at&t will no longer be charging for tethering under the new shared data plans.  

Some of the reports I have seen say that at&t will no longer be charging for tethering under the new shared data plans.  

42 of 212 (2,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2012 7:32:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

True, AT&T won't have a separate charge for tethering under the Mobile Share plans, but AT&T doesn't have a separate charge for tethering now.  It's only allowed on the 5GB data plan.

True, AT&T won't have a separate charge for tethering under the Mobile Share plans, but AT&T doesn't have a separate charge for tethering now.  It's only allowed on the 5GB data plan.

43 of 212 (2,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2012 7:31:38 AM
(0)
Guru

They may try it for a minute, but I can't see them keeping the charge as long as you can do the same thing with competing apps for free.  All it will do is drive people from Facetime to Skype or a similar app.  If ATT is going to try it, then they need to prioritize the signal and promise you acceptable performance.  

They may try it for a minute, but I can't see them keeping the charge as long as you can do the same thing with competing apps for free.  All it will do is drive people from Facetime to Skype or a similar app.  If ATT is going to try it, then they need to prioritize the signal and promise you acceptable performance.  

44 of 212 (2,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 9:40:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

I will switch to another carrier if AT&T inssits on charge us for FaceTime.  I believe other carrier will behappy to have more iPhone users!

I will switch to another carrier if AT&T inssits on charge us for FaceTime.  I believe other carrier will behappy to have more iPhone users!

101 of 212 (2,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 9:55:43 AM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

102 of 212 (2,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 10:06:59 AM
(0)
Expert

bigelarkin wrote:

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

bigelarkin wrote:

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

103 of 212 (2,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 12:31:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T is only letting people that switch to there new mobile share data plan to use FaceTime over cellular network. They will not let anyone else use until they change their data plan and to me people that still have the unlimited data plan will not probally switch since they do not want to loose their unlimited data plan
AT&T is only letting people that switch to there new mobile share data plan to use FaceTime over cellular network. They will not let anyone else use until they change their data plan and to me people that still have the unlimited data plan will not probally switch since they do not want to loose their unlimited data plan

104 of 212 (2,368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 2:14:53 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

106 of 212 (2,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 2:33:46 PM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Another fact - that is only figuring using the data for facetime, not add in the estimate for pandora, youtube, hulu and every other cellular data intensive application that the average user runs in the day to day utilization. Bottom line, facetime is data intensive and there will be wails of anguish when people blow through their allocations and get throttled or charged for addition data.

As far as estimated, the figures I saw where based on actual usage on a JB'd pair of iphone's that allowed facetime over cellular

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Another fact - that is only figuring using the data for facetime, not add in the estimate for pandora, youtube, hulu and every other cellular data intensive application that the average user runs in the day to day utilization. Bottom line, facetime is data intensive and there will be wails of anguish when people blow through their allocations and get throttled or charged for addition data.

As far as estimated, the figures I saw where based on actual usage on a JB'd pair of iphone's that allowed facetime over cellular

107 of 212 (2,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 2:38:21 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Regardless of the number the bottom line is this is a bad policy and not worth defedning.  Symantics asside!

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Regardless of the number the bottom line is this is a bad policy and not worth defedning.  Symantics asside!

108 of 212 (2,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 2:52:49 PM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

not defending or attacking the policy, corporate policy, no mater what corporation is corporate policy, just pointing out that this app is data intensvie. It should be place on the current teired plans also, but the unlimited plan is grandfathered and changes are rarely done to then except to sunset them

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

not defending or attacking the policy, corporate policy, no mater what corporation is corporate policy, just pointing out that this app is data intensvie. It should be place on the current teired plans also, but the unlimited plan is grandfathered and changes are rarely done to then except to sunset them

109 of 212 (2,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 9:03:19 PM
(0)
Professor

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

112 of 212 (2,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 9:10:17 PM
(0)
Professor

All plans with the exception of grandfathered have been tiered.

3G / 5G with overages

or

'shared'

Forcing people to change their dataplan for a data application should not be acceptable.

There are 2 items that AT&T is keeping from most users.

1.  Many areas AT&T has not fully deployed HPSA+ with HSUPA being active.   This is VERY visible on speed tests in SoCal.  I may be able to obtain 14Mbps on the download but only 1Mbps on the upload in MOST areas.  There area few areas that I typically hit 2-3.4Mbps on the upload - but those are not common.  That being said, AT&T does not have its uplink capacity up to par in many areas.

2.  AT&T (and others) have so low profit on the iPhone, that they're finding other revenue streams for this device, and not promoting it (doesn't need promotion really) over Android, WinPhone, BlackBerry, or just about anything else.

All plans with the exception of grandfathered have been tiered.

3G / 5G with overages

or

'shared'

Forcing people to change their dataplan for a data application should not be acceptable.

There are 2 items that AT&T is keeping from most users.

1.  Many areas AT&T has not fully deployed HPSA+ with HSUPA being active.   This is VERY visible on speed tests in SoCal.  I may be able to obtain 14Mbps on the download but only 1Mbps on the upload in MOST areas.  There area few areas that I typically hit 2-3.4Mbps on the upload - but those are not common.  That being said, AT&T does not have its uplink capacity up to par in many areas.

2.  AT&T (and others) have so low profit on the iPhone, that they're finding other revenue streams for this device, and not promoting it (doesn't need promotion really) over Android, WinPhone, BlackBerry, or just about anything else.

113 of 212 (2,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 4:03:58 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:05:49 AM

formercanuck wrote:

"the customers that are still here" - must be a lot more then what you think, they hit 105.2 million subscribers(up from 1.3 million) at fiscal end quarter 2 in addition to the lowest churn rate in the industry. EBITDA service margin was 45.0 percent, compared with 41.1 percent in the second quarter of 2011.

Your numbers do not take into account all facets of the new shared data plans, your pricing comparisions are missing a lot of factors that are available in the new plans. While that shared data plan is not for everyone - which is why, unlike verizon ATT still gives the consumers a choice in shared or normal plans, there is a segment that will benefit from the plans. The changes need to be evaluated by the end user by using the tools available to fit their needs, a blanket observation as what you make is meaningless to most consumers.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

formercanuck wrote:

"the customers that are still here" - must be a lot more then what you think, they hit 105.2 million subscribers(up from 1.3 million) at fiscal end quarter 2 in addition to the lowest churn rate in the industry. EBITDA service margin was 45.0 percent, compared with 41.1 percent in the second quarter of 2011.

Your numbers do not take into account all facets of the new shared data plans, your pricing comparisions are missing a lot of factors that are available in the new plans. While that shared data plan is not for everyone - which is why, unlike verizon ATT still gives the consumers a choice in shared or normal plans, there is a segment that will benefit from the plans. The changes need to be evaluated by the end user by using the tools available to fit their needs, a blanket observation as what you make is meaningless to most consumers.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

[ Edited ]
118 of 212 (2,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 7:24:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?

120 of 212 (2,219 Views)