FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Professor

Re: Charge for Facetime

Some of the reports I have seen say that at&t will no longer be charging for tethering under the new shared data plans.  

Message 42 of 212 (3,304 Views)
Professor

True, AT&T won't have a separate charge for tethering under the Mobile Share plans, but AT&T doesn't have a separate charge for tethering now.  It's only allowed on the 5GB data plan.

Message 43 of 212 (3,299 Views)
Guru

They may try it for a minute, but I can't see them keeping the charge as long as you can do the same thing with competing apps for free.  All it will do is drive people from Facetime to Skype or a similar app.  If ATT is going to try it, then they need to prioritize the signal and promise you acceptable performance.  

Message 44 of 212 (3,267 Views)
Contributor

I will switch to another carrier if AT&T inssits on charge us for FaceTime.  I believe other carrier will behappy to have more iPhone users!

Message 101 of 212 (2,913 Views)
Scholar

AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan
Message 102 of 212 (2,908 Views)
Expert

bigelarkin wrote:
AT&T it is not fair that you will not let users with unlimited data plans to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I have the unlimited data plan and when ios6 comes out I want to use FaceTime over cellular, but I can't since if I want use it I have switch to a new data plan which means if I do that I will loose my unlimited data which I do not want loose so that is not fair. I have be a At&t customers for 4 years and you decision on FaceTime over cellular is making some of your customer upset and angry. The reason I stuck with you was I did not want to loose my data plan

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

Message 103 of 212 (2,905 Views)
Scholar

AT&T is only letting people that switch to there new mobile share data plan to use FaceTime over cellular network. They will not let anyone else use until they change their data plan and to me people that still have the unlimited data plan will not probally switch since they do not want to loose their unlimited data plan
Message 104 of 212 (2,877 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

so when you blow through the 3gb thottle limit by using a couple of hours of face time you will not be back here complaining about it?

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 106 of 212 (2,857 Views)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

The math I saw said that to use 3GB of data would take over 17 hours of facetime over cellular based on observed usage of 3mb/minute for video.  They actually predict usage per minute could be less.

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Another fact - that is only figuring using the data for facetime, not add in the estimate for pandora, youtube, hulu and every other cellular data intensive application that the average user runs in the day to day utilization. Bottom line, facetime is data intensive and there will be wails of anguish when people blow through their allocations and get throttled or charged for addition data.

As far as estimated, the figures I saw where based on actual usage on a JB'd pair of iphone's that allowed facetime over cellular

Message 107 of 212 (2,855 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

that was calculated on a standard iphone, add the new higher res screen that is due out next month on the 5 with the higher res camera and those figures could easily be exceeded.

Another fact - that is only figuring using the data for facetime, not add in the estimate for pandora, youtube, hulu and every other cellular data intensive application that the average user runs in the day to day utilization. Bottom line, facetime is data intensive and there will be wails of anguish when people blow through their allocations and get throttled or charged for addition data.

As far as estimated, the figures I saw where based on actual usage on a JB'd pair of iphone's that allowed facetime over cellular

Regardless of the number the bottom line is this is a bad policy and not worth defedning.  Symantics asside!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 108 of 212 (2,859 Views)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Regardless of the number the bottom line is this is a bad policy and not worth defedning.  Symantics asside!

not defending or attacking the policy, corporate policy, no mater what corporation is corporate policy, just pointing out that this app is data intensvie. It should be place on the current teired plans also, but the unlimited plan is grandfathered and changes are rarely done to then except to sunset them

Message 109 of 212 (2,858 Views)
Professor

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

Message 112 of 212 (2,824 Views)
Professor

All plans with the exception of grandfathered have been tiered.

3G / 5G with overages

or

'shared'

Forcing people to change their dataplan for a data application should not be acceptable.

There are 2 items that AT&T is keeping from most users.

1.  Many areas AT&T has not fully deployed HPSA+ with HSUPA being active.   This is VERY visible on speed tests in SoCal.  I may be able to obtain 14Mbps on the download but only 1Mbps on the upload in MOST areas.  There area few areas that I typically hit 2-3.4Mbps on the upload - but those are not common.  That being said, AT&T does not have its uplink capacity up to par in many areas.

2.  AT&T (and others) have so low profit on the iPhone, that they're finding other revenue streams for this device, and not promoting it (doesn't need promotion really) over Android, WinPhone, BlackBerry, or just about anything else.

Message 113 of 212 (2,825 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

formercanuck wrote:

The customers that are still here

a) Already went through the throttlegate scandal

b) Will be notified when they hit their limits

Shared data plans cost more for less data for many people, and the overages cost more.

Eg.  Standard voice + data = 30+$39.99 = $69.99 for 3GB, $10/GB extra

Shared data data + voice/txt = $40 + $45 =$85 for 1GB, $15/GB extra.

Shared data data + voice/txt = $70 + $40 =$110 for 4GB, $15/GB extra.

Regardless of plan, people can/will hit overages if they wish.

All users have been aware of overages/throttle since AT&T implemented throttlegate, this will not change, so I don't see the issue.

"the customers that are still here" - must be a lot more then what you think, they hit 105.2 million subscribers(up from 1.3 million) at fiscal end quarter 2 in addition to the lowest churn rate in the industry. EBITDA service margin was 45.0 percent, compared with 41.1 percent in the second quarter of 2011.

Your numbers do not take into account all facets of the new shared data plans, your pricing comparisions are missing a lot of factors that are available in the new plans. While that shared data plan is not for everyone - which is why, unlike verizon ATT still gives the consumers a choice in shared or normal plans, there is a segment that will benefit from the plans. The changes need to be evaluated by the end user by using the tools available to fit their needs, a blanket observation as what you make is meaningless to most consumers.

Personally on the multiple family plans that I run, I can save money by combining two of the plans into one and save a large amount of money in the overall picture, especially being able to condense that various Ipad accounts that I have for my family into one of the shared plans. I will however retain the other family plan becasue there is no cost savings on that.

Message 118 of 212 (2,769 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

bigelarkin wrote:

Perhaps, but then again that statement would apply to just those users who wind up purchasing the purported 5th-gen iPhone; last I recall, I did not hear/read anything that would indicate that Facetime over cellular would work only on a 5th-gen iPhone...not unless you have some magic crystal ball that's telling you that the only folks who would choose to use Facetime over cellular are/will be using 5th-gen iPhones.

LOL at your "due out next month on the 5" comment--aren't you one of those folks who love to parrot the "it ain't true unless Apple says so" line whenever someone posts rumors about when then next iPhone will be released?

Message 120 of 212 (2,728 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.