FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

Professor

Re: WiFi over Cellular

Sorry that happened but that feature was not grandfathered in. That was the feeling of many people. Tethering or WiFi hotspot use were free previously as far as I know. Since last year, AT&T started to charge for tethering or using the WiFi hotspot feature of a phone. Other carriers are doing the same.
Message 56 of 212 (2,967 Views)
Former Employee

What is Wi-Fi over Cellular?

Message 57 of 212 (2,961 Views)

drumn_bass, I believe Flsteve88 is referring to Facetime over Cellular. It is a new feature that is being added to the iPhone 4S and soon to be released iPhone. In the past you had to be connected to wifi in order to Facetime another iphone user. Now, you will be able to Facetime anywhere by using with wifi or your cellular data service. AT&T has announced that they will be blocking the feature for all customers unless they subscribe to the new Mobile Share data plans.
Message 92 of 212 (2,715 Views)
Master

renewedpurpose wrote:
drumn_bass, I believe Flsteve88 is referring to Facetime over Cellular. It is a new feature that is being added to the iPhone 4S and soon to be released iPhone. In the past you had to be connected to wifi in order to Facetime another iphone user. Now, you will be able to Facetime anywhere by using with wifi or your cellular data service. AT&T has announced that they will be blocking the feature for all customers unless they subscribe to the new Mobile Share data plans.

This was my thought too!  Check out the other thread on this topic already!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 95 of 212 (2,706 Views)
Teacher

Charge for Facetime

So AT&T will start charging to use Facetime in iOS 6 over 3G/LTE  what a joke. You can use it for FREE over skype, tango etc. What a way to screw over your #1 device that saved you from bankrupty 4 years ago.

Message 1 of 212 (32,096 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Charge for Facetime

lw9090 wrote:

So AT&T will start charging to use Facetime in iOS 6 over 3G/LTE  what a joke. You can use it for FREE over skype, tango etc. What a way to screw over your #1 device that saved you from bankrupty 4 years ago.

Will... or Might. Since iOS6 is in beta still, it's all rumor at this point.

It's also possible that it's just an option you enable for free, but by doing so you let AT&T know YOU know you're buring data like mad when using FT over cell, so you can't claim later that you had "no idea" that FT used cellular data at such a high rate. Maybe. Who knows.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 212 (32,090 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

lw9090 wrote:

first - where exaclty did you see / hear this rumor?

second I believe that IOS 6 will allow facetime over cellular data instead of just wifi - so it is logical that if you use it on the cellular data that you will be charged for data usage, they are not going to let you use the data network for free.

third in no way shape or form did the iphone "saved ATT from Bankruptcy" the bottom line for att is stronger then most banks, financial organizations can other companies, this includes going back to when the first Iphone was released. their diluted earnings per share at fiscal close in 2008 was 2.16 as compared to 2007 when it was 1.97. ATT was no were near "bankruptcy" in that period

fourth you are being charged for skype unless you are connecting over the wifi network - anything that utilizes a internet connection will be deducted from your cellular data pool if you are not using wifi.

Message 3 of 212 (32,086 Views)
Master

I have seen the reports about having to enable FaceTime over cellular and the messages that are associated with it. It is too early to know if this is just a warning that you will burn through your data or if it is a separate add-on similar to tethering?

I would have to say that I am not surprised. I know I won't use it if there is an additional charge but if I was running a carrier, I am not sure I would not explore charging for the service.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 4 of 212 (32,074 Views)
Master

One other thought.

Maybe they will not charge extra but like the tethering plan we MAY NOT be able to keep our unlimited data plans? Or the tethering and FaceTime will be merged into a single plan addon?

Time will tell........

Message 5 of 212 (32,057 Views)
Expert

youngjm wrote:
One other thought.

Maybe they will not charge extra but like the tethering plan we MAY NOT be able to keep our unlimited data plans? Or the tethering and FaceTime will be merged into a single plan addon?

Time will tell........

you can bet that nothing will be merged with the grandfathered unlimited plan, suspect it will be moe - if you want to use it, changed to the correct tiered plan.

Fully suspect that att will go the way of verizon on the grandfathered unlimited plan soon

Message 6 of 212 (32,036 Views)
Scholar

youngjm wrote:
One other thought.

Time will tell........

I would love to see the explanation if AT&T decides to charge for being able to use Facetime over cellular--it's not as if Facetime is an AT&T service--it's an iPhone feature introduced/implemented by Apple.  Tethering is not an iPhone-only feature but a smartphone feature, hence why AT&T can justify charging extra to use it.

Message 7 of 212 (31,989 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:
One other thought.

Time will tell........

you can bet that nothing will be merged with the grandfathered unlimited plan, suspect it will be moe - if you want to use it, changed to the correct tiered plan.

Fully suspect that att will go the way of verizon on the grandfathered unlimited plan soon

Personally, I think this is the most likely. AT&T won't charge extra to use FaceTime over cellular but will require that you have a "supported data plan" and the grandfathered unlimited plan won't be one of them.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 212 (31,985 Views)
Master

@Anton697 the explanation is that we will use less minutes and reduce our voice plans. They may make it up by charging more for data. Everything these carriers are doing is about increasing the average revenue per user. That is what the analysts on Wall Street look at.

I would tend to agree with @sandblaster the we will need a qualifying data plan and unlimIted data is not one of them.

Just a pure guess!

Message 9 of 212 (31,976 Views)
Master

One more thing on face time being an iPhone feature; that is true but AT&T has to provide and support the ifrastucture to support that feature. Do not think for one second that the other carriers will not do the same thing. They may start out supporting the option for free but will eventually follow. Can you say Verizon and unlimited data plans boys and girls in the same sentence! Not for very long after they got the iPhone.

Message 10 of 212 (31,972 Views)
Master

Check out this article about AT&T's CEO and charging for FaceTime. http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/07/17/att-facetime-charge/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&#...

Let's see what happens

Message 11 of 212 (31,968 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.