Ask a question

Posted Aug 17, 2012
3:27:22 PM
View profile
FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
Posted Aug 17, 2012
3:27:22 PM
View profile

So AT&T won't charge for FaceTime over cellular data, but will restrict it to Mobile Share customers only.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/08/17/at-t-won-t-charge-fee-for-facetime-over-cellular-but-only-mobile-share-customers-can-use-it/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 5:29:37 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by smooth4lyfe on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:30:05 PM

I'm actually surprised they arent charging...AT&T charges for EVERYTHING

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only!

[ Edited ]
46 of 212 (3,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 5:47:27 AM
(0)
Guru
Doesn't matter to me, we are not big facetime users.

48 of 212 (3,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 8:44:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I think that it is another "enticement" to get unlimited data users to switch to Mobile Share or otherwise give up their unlimited data plans.

50 of 212 (3,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 10:00:39 AM
(0)
Master

Not surprising at all if they are not going to charge extra. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

51 of 212 (3,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 1:41:21 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:42:46 PM

I think it's total crap.  It is completely another attempt to frustrate those of us that still have Unlimited Data plans to switch.  I barely exceed 1GB/mo having my Unlimited Domestic & International Data.  I simply do not use that much.  So, to add this restriction is manipulation.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
52 of 212 (3,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 3:17:16 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 18, 2012 at 3:18:59 PM

fredflyer wrote:

I think it's total crap.  It is completely another attempt to frustrate those of us that still have Unlimited Data plans to switch.  I barely exceed 1GB/mo having my Unlimited Domestic & International Data.  I simply do not use that much.  So, to add this restriction is manipulation.

get used to it, the unlimited plan is grandfathered, there will be absolutely no additional functionality added to it. Was actually suprised they did ot sunset it like verizon is doing when they offered shared data plans here.

Never had a need for Facetime anyway - it is way to limited, use Cisco Jabber and it is light years ahead of facetime

[ Edited ]
53 of 212 (3,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 6:30:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm very frustrated to learn that I can't use my existing data plan for Facetime over cellular. I am currently on the unlimited data plan that gets throttled after 3GB of data usage on my iPhone 4S. I hardly make actual phone calls on my cell phone, so I really have no use for the Mobile Share plans. Now, I can sort of understand AT&T not offering Facetime over cellular on unlimited data plans. But what is the reasoning behind not allowing Facetime on the 3GB or 5GB data plans? If you go over your data plan you still get charged an overage charge of $10 per GB. So why not allow users to make Facetime calls and just bill them if they go over their data plan?

55 of 212 (3,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 10:06:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jamileh on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:41:07 PM
Wow... Impressive. Even the AT&T mobile forum posting system is busted. You've managed to insert a super secret hidden HTML code in my rant. Let me try this again:

Long time customer here. Been out of contract for a long time yet I've stuck with this girlfriend even though she has gotten fat ugly and trashy. You finally burst my bubble though. And I'm gonna rant. 

On average I am WAY UNDER the cap you put on my 3G data on my  "unlimited" iPhone plan. ONE TIME I get a text message frok you warning me that I'm approaching 3 GBs and you will throttle my usage. Strike one. 

Tethering... What is wrong with you? You greedy *** should have allowed iPhone built in tethering, using whatever existing data plan I have, ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU'RE GOING TO THROTTLE IT ANYWAY if I go over a certain limit on my unlimited data plan. Strike two. 

iOS 6 FaceTime over cellular... "AT&T will offer FaceTime over Cellular as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans, which were created to meet customers' growing data needs at a great value. With Mobile Share, the more data you use, the more you save. FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers."
You have a lot of <nope> AT&T. Same comments apply as mentioned above for tethering... If customers exceed their monthly data plan, or you throttle unlimited data plans, what do you need to cripple a hardware feature for when youll get paid anyway? Enjoy losing customers. I hope that everyone else you've irritated off jumps ship as well. 

New iPhone comes out soon AT&T I strongly suggest you start to wise up and pay attention to your customer base. 

Wow. Feels good to just let it fly. I'm almost sad since its been a decent ride. Im almost hoping you wake up and turn the tide on these points and I'd have no problem staying. 

Anyone else feel like sharing today? 

Thanks for letting me share. 

[Inappropriate content removed]

why no FaceTime over cellular with iOS 6 ?

[ Edited ]
47 of 212 (3,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 6:02:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

I agree with it being insane to not allow Facetime over cellular on all of their data plans. Now, I can sort of understand why they may not want to enable it for customers on old unlimited data plans. But for crying out loud why the heck will they prevent you from using Facetime over cellular on their 5GB data plan? If a customer is paying $50 a month for 5GB of data they should be able to use the data however they want! Basically AT&T is saying you can tether your internet connection to a laptop if you want to, and if you go over the 5GB they will be happy to bill you for overages. But try to use Facetime? That's where they draw the line! It's kind of crazy to think your limited on how you use your data plan you already pay for.

Re: why no FaceTime over cellular with iOS 6 ?

54 of 212 (3,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 9:53:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

AT&T needs to look at all the posts on different Apple sites about how most customers will LEAVE AT&T for Sprint or another service that will not charge for FaceTime or make them change to a shared account that COSTS MORE. Smiley Frustrated

Why make people change there service for something that uses data which doesn't change anything that AT&T has to provide? Let people use there data anyway they want to on any plan they want.

I only have 2 phones on an account, the shared plan costs way more to change and use then if I stick to my family plan that I have now. Why would I want to change that just so I can use FaceTime which is only data and should not effect my plan?

This is rediculious!!! 

People are not happy about your shared data plan only for FaceTime. You better think about changing that decsiion or face massive contract cancellations from AT&T.

58 of 212 (3,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 10:05:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1424804                                Read the comments section

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/12/08/17/facetime.over.wi.fi.still.available/      Read the comment section at the bottom

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151992/at-t-to-require-new-mobile-share-data-plans-for-facetime-calls-over-cellular

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168197/atandt_facetime_over_cellular_will_require_shared_data_plan.html

All of these sites tell the story of AT&T's customer fallout if they stick with there FaceTime and Shared Plan or else.

Most customers are NOT happy about this absurd decision by AT&T.

Re: FaceTime Over Cellular Data with Mobile Share Only! Customers are NOT happy

59 of 212 (3,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 10:25:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
9 to 5 Website Poll: AT&T FaceTime with Shared Plan Poll was taken and these are the results so far.

With the FaceTime news, will you be staying on AT&T for your iPhone network?
Yes, going Mobile Share so NBD  5.19%  (674 votes) 

Yes, don't care about FaceTime over mobile  24.39%  (3,166 votes) 

No, already left/not on AT&T  15.2%  (1,974 votes) 

No, this is last straw, leaving AT&T  55.22%  (7,169 votes) 

Total Votes: 12,983

Read more at http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/17/att-announces-facetime-over-cellular-on-ios-6-will-only-be-available-mobile-share-plans/#jp2yLVtgKmi1mkE2.99

60 of 212 (3,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 3:39:22 AM
(0)
Professor

Mrspock wrote:
9 to 5 Website Poll: AT&T FaceTime with Shared Plan Poll was taken and these are the results so far.

With the FaceTime news, will you be staying on AT&T for your iPhone network?
Yes, going Mobile Share so NBD  5.19%  (674 votes) 

Yes, don't care about FaceTime over mobile  24.39%  (3,166 votes) 

No, already left/not on AT&T  15.2%  (1,974 votes) 

No, this is last straw, leaving AT&T  55.22%  (7,169 votes) 

Total Votes: 12,983

Read more at http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/17/att-announces-facetime-over-cellular-on-ios-6-will-only-be-available-mobile-share-plans/#jp2yLVtgKmi1mkE2.99

Those polls are meaningless.  People have been very vocal in threatening to leave AT&T over their iPhone policies since day 1 of the iPhone's existence.  First there was not unlocking the phones.  Then there was tethering.  Then losing unlimited data plans.  Then throttling.  And, don't forget stopping early upgrades and dropped calls.  Yet, except for unlocking, all of these "draconian" policies have stayed in place and AT&T continues to be in business, even though there are now other carriers that sell iPhones.  They survived all of the others, and they will survive this.  Have the other carriers said they will allow Facetime over cell without restrictions, or will they be doing the same thing?  Might want to check that before you jump.

I agree with some of the other posts in that this is just another tactic to get people off unlimited data and get them to pay more by charging for every little feature.

61 of 212 (3,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 4:08:06 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 19, 2012 at 4:10:25 AM

Mrspock wrote:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1424804                                Read the comments section

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/12/08/17/facetime.over.wi.fi.still.available/      Read the comment section at the bottom

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151992/at-t-to-require-new-mobile-share-data-plans-for-facetime-calls-over-cellular

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168197/atandt_facetime_over_cellular_will_require_shared_data_plan.html

All of these sites tell the story of AT&T's customer fallout if they stick with there FaceTime and Shared Plan or else.

Most customers are NOT happy about this absurd decision by AT&T.

you realize that verizon is doing just abot the same thing to right?

What will be interesting is when people start using it over cellular and start posting about insane data usage

[ Edited ]
62 of 212 (3,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 5:31:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Why do people on grandfathered plans get upset when NEW functionality requires NEW plans?

"Grandfathered" pretty much means you'll not get access to new capabilities.

Like Tethering

Or FT over Cellular

63 of 212 (3,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 9:02:29 AM
(0)
Mentor
johninsj, what about the new customers that sign up for the data plans that they are still offering like the 5GB data plan for $50 a month? AT&T has said they are keeping the old minute calling plans so new customers will still be able to sign up for 700 minute calling plans with 5GB data plans. While those plans are still offered now, and will still be offered in the future, they will not have access to Facetime over cellular. I can agree with you in not offering the feature on grandfathered plans, but why not offer the feature on current data plans?

64 of 212 (3,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 12:01:27 PM
(0)
Expert

renewedpurpose wrote:
johninsj, what about the new customers that sign up for the data plans that they are still offering like the 5GB data plan for $50 a month? AT&T has said they are keeping the old minute calling plans so new customers will still be able to sign up for 700 minute calling plans with 5GB data plans. While those plans are still offered now, and will still be offered in the future, they will not have access to Facetime over cellular. I can agree with you in not offering the feature on grandfathered plans, but why not offer the feature on current data plans?

then those new customers have to make a decision, which is more important to them, actually a couple of decisions, first is the iphone really worth it to them and second is face time that important to them and being able to quikcly exceed the data cap by having a facetime conversation with another friend that happens to own a product that works comes with facetime.

It all comes down to personal decisions and priorities.

65 of 212 (3,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 6:26:24 PM
(0)
Master

johninsj wrote:

Why do people on grandfathered plans get upset when NEW functionality requires NEW plans?

"Grandfathered" pretty much means you'll not get access to new capabilities.

Like Tethering

Or FT over Cellular

I read a great commentary about this from one of the Apple blogs and how Apple should intervene here and how illogical this decision is.  While I am not surprised by it, Facetime of wireless is no different than Skype which is allowed today and it is not limited to just Apple based products.  In essences, there is really nothing new here yet it is a vailed excuse to push users to a new plan that costs more.  The article indicated that a 1 minute video would use approximately 3mb of data and to use 3GB of data would take a lot of usage to max it out hence capacity is not really an argument given the throttling of the unlimited plans at 3GB for the grandfathered plans.  

I do hope they rethink this but Facetime over wireless is not a big deal to me as I rarely use it via wifi.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

66 of 212 (3,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2012 6:40:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Agree.  I have the "Unlimited Data Plan" but rarely go over 1.2GB.  So, if AT&T starts throttling "unlimited" users at 3GB, then why do they have to control how I use my data?  The only answer to it is they want to bully customers to drop their "unlimited" plan.  Otherwise, they'd just throttle if I went over 3GB.

67 of 212 (3,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 6:20:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have an unlimited data plan and AT&T will only allow me to use FaceTime if I switch to one of their shared data plans???

Bye bye AT&T.

Hello Sprint.

Bye Bye AT&T

68 of 212 (3,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 7:46:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

renewedpurpose wrote:

I agree that it should be offered with the regular tiered data plans, as well.  AT&T seems to forget that single, one-device owners aren't attracted to the Mobile Share plans, but would still like to use FaceTime over cellular.  It's like these companies are telling single people to take a hike; we don't want to provide services for your needs.

69 of 212 (3,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 7:58:37 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by anton697 on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:59:50 AM

21stNow wrote:

I think that it is another "enticement" to get unlimited data users to switch to Mobile Share or otherwise give up their unlimited data plans.

Note that tiered data plan users who choose not to switch to a Mobile Share plan wouldn't be able or allowed to use Facetime over cellular as well, so this restriction isn't going to affect just unlimited data plan users.

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

get used to it, the unlimited plan is grandfathered, there will be absolutely no additional functionality added to it. Was actually suprised they did ot sunset it like verizon is doing when they offered shared data plans here.

Never had a need for Facetime anyway - it is way to limited, use Cisco Jabber and it is light years ahead of facetime

Another alternative--whether you're a fan of it or not--is Skype.

In any case--whether people agree with it or not, bottom line is that AT&T is doing this (Facetime over cellular only for Mobile Share users) simply to generate more profit by "enticing" folks to switch over to a Mobile Share plan; yes I know I'm speaking the obvious, but I mention it just in case some AT&T shill claims that AT&T is doing this primarily to control bandwidth issues.  Nothing could be further from the truth--if that were the case, then why the change from original 2 GB tiered data plan to 3 GB one?  If bandwidth and/or excessive data consumption was the main concern, then it makes no sense to get rid of a 2 GB tiered plan and replace it with a higher-bucket one...no?

LOL at folks who continue to say that there's really no reason to jailbreak an iPhone--as long as wireless carriers continue to pull stuff like this, there will always be a need for stuff like jailbreaking to get around such limitations/restrictions.  I'm not saying that I agree with it one way or the other, but just calling it like it is.

Slight tangent:  I dunno what's lamer--Apple for making the Find My iPhone feature no longer work on any iPhone not running at least iOS5 (really stupid if you ask me, as they previously had no problem allowing it to work on any iPhone--other than perhaps the 1st-gen iPhone--running at least iOS 4.2.x), or (for the moment) AT&T and Verizon for limiting the options in order for customers to use Facetime over cellular?

[ Edited ]
70 of 212 (3,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 8:55:03 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:57:29 AM

A person who used to previously post quite a bit always harrangued AT&T for their greed and stupidity, this is just more of the same.

Initially they created the 'Unlimited' plan, officially with no tethering, no Facetime (didn't exist then).

Then made it required for anyone wanting to use a smart phone on their network.

Customers didn't feel they should be required to pay for a data plan that had no intention of using, and wanted the data plan dropped and turned off on their phones.

AT&T said no making the extremely lame excuse that SOMEHOW these smart phones would not ever function properly without cellular data...

AT&T then created a tiered data plan with what most agreed was a particularly rediculously small lower tier (200k, really?!?!), as an option to the 30 dollar 'unlimmited' plan.  Tethering officially enable for tiered dataplan holders (at an additional charge), and Facetime came about as a feature (WIFI only) under the tiered plans.  Also, AT&T now introduces extreme billing confusion as people who, when checking their previous data usage reported in billing, bought data plans based on that information, SUDDENLY see their data usage spiking to unreasonably high levels and being charged extra for additional data blocks.  AT&T nor Apple really provide much assistance, other than, "Turn off all your data stuff and see what happens."  Note, independant studies around this time indicate that AT&T billing is ALWAYS off by at least 20% and it's always off in AT&T's benefit, not yours.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Then AT&T said they were going to stop allowing new customers onto the 'Unlimited' plan and all customers would have to choose a tier.

Then, AT&T (laughably enough) attempts to demonize their 'unlimited' plan users by generalizing that they use too much data, ignoring the fact that a significant portion of their customer base actually requested a NO DATA/WIFI only option (kind of like what I had when I had an Tilt on the AT&T plan), which allowing a NO DATA option would absolutely have reduced the amount of cellular data used on their network as a significant portion of low use customers would have turned off data to save a few bucks...

Then AT&T readjusts their tiered plans (adding tethering to their highest tier) and starts throttling 'unlimited' users on what even they admitted were effectively 'random' thresholds...  Note, no additional features were made manifest to compensate for these newly enforced limitations and AT&T kept referring to their dataplan as the "Wish it Never Was" plan, and demonizing the 'unlimited' users as the cause of their network ills.

Now AT&T gives us these 'shared data' plans which pretty much seem to garuntee you'll pay more than the tiered data plans, with the supposed added bonus of Facetime over cellular, only available with the 'shared data' plan.

Maybe the above time line isn't 100% accurate, but the over all gist is pretty much correct...

It seems to me tat AT&T could have just said, "Due to rising costs of maintaining our data network, and the rising costs of expanding the network, the fact that our board of directors wants to look good by showing increased profits, and the executives want another double-digit percentage raise and 7 figure bonuses, and we really can't come up with anything NEW that customers might actually want to pay extra for, we're going to raise prices on our Tiered plans by 5 bucks per month, and oh, by the way, now everyone on a tiered plan can use Facetime, enjoy."

I'd find that statement a lot more honest and refreshing, and CRAP TON less insulting than what AT&T has been doing over the past 10 or so years.  I hate having to deal with a company that assumes I'm stupid and doesn't care that they treat me as if I were...

[ Edited ]
71 of 212 (3,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 8:59:02 AM
(0)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Note that tiered data plan users who choose not to switch to a Mobile Share plan wouldn't be able or allowed to use Facetime over cellular as well, so this restriction isn't going to affect just unlimited data plan users.

wingrider01 wrote:

fredflyer wrote:

Another alternative--whether you're a fan of it or not--is Skype.

In any case--whether people agree with it or not, bottom line is that AT&T is doing this (Facetime over cellular only for Mobile Share users) simply to generate more profit by "enticing" folks to switch over to a Mobile Share plan; yes I know I'm speaking the obvious, but I mention it just in case some AT&T shill claims that AT&T is doing this primarily to control bandwidth issues.  Nothing could be further from the truth--if that were the case, then why the change from original 2 GB tiered data plan to 3 GB one?  If bandwidth and/or excessive data consumption was the main concern, then it makes no sense to get rid of a 2 GB tiered plan and replace it with a higher-bucket one...no?

LOL at folks who continue to say that there's really no reason to jailbreak an iPhone--as long as wireless carriers continue to pull stuff like this, there will always be a need for stuff like jailbreaking to get around such limitations/restrictions.  I'm not saying that I agree with it one way or the other, but just calling it like it is.

Slight tangent:  I dunno what's lamer--Apple for making the Find My iPhone feature no longer work on any iPhone not running at least iOS5 (really stupid if you ask me, as they previously had no problem allowing it to work on any iPhone--other than perhaps the 1st-gen iPhone--running at least iOS 4.2.x), or (for the moment) AT&T and Verizon for limiting the options in order for customers to use Facetime over cellular?

so you are claiming that if you jailbreak your phone, you can get around the limitation of no carrier usage of facetime? Suspec that even if it is jailbroke that application

1. will not work becasue of blocked ports on all except the new shared plans

2. will be detected by the carrier and a force change will be made to the shared plan to being the phone into terms compliance

no thanks, tried dkype and found it distinctly lacking in a lot of areas.

72 of 212 (3,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 11:25:55 AM
(0)
Professor

Is there a reason why AT&T is blocking Facetime on data packages that are not shared ?

This is a bit of a pay to play.

Skype doesn't have this issue and is available, yet AT&T is disabling Facetime over cellular unless you pay more for a shared data plan.  This is not a good way to do business.

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/att-you-can-have-facetime-over-cellular-if-you-use-954306

AT&T blocking Facetime over cellular for non-shared plans ?

73 of 212 (3,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 3:31:53 PM
(0)
Professor

What's next ?  The 'new' Maps feature (to be removed on next iOS) is going to also require migration to a new data plan because it didn't exist in the current iPhone ?

Tethering also was deemed to be an add on for plans that were not DATA only.

AT&T is become a gatekeeper to the devices features, which is wrong.

Lets be honest here, AT&T is pushing people to SHARED (gouged!) plans.

If I have a data plan WITH tethering, I'd be able to use the WiFi functionality of tethering to use FaceTime.

Also, why is AT&T (the only carrier filtering FaceTime on standard data) allowing Skype over cellular data ?

This reeks of net neutrality violations, being extorted to a NEW data plan to run an application which runs over standard TCP/IP.

74 of 212 (3,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 3:37:17 PM
(0)
Professor

Close - but not quite.

They're not telling single people to take a hike, but rather add more devices.  The average user doesn't gain much by having a phone + tablet + pc connected to a wireless carrier, but would rather have phone wireless, PC connected to 'home' service and tablet on Wifi.

They haven't marketed it very well at all, and are effectively asking most single/single device users to leave.

75 of 212 (3,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 3:45:59 PM
(0)
Professor

If AT&T is blocking ports to applications, then there is a HUGE issue.

Unless Apple is using a specific port/protocol that AT&T can sniff out, then they are in violation of blocking / filtering access to what could be other applications.

Also, for those that know better, you can tunnel any protocol over SSH and be immune to AT&T's sniffers/port block.

76 of 212 (3,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2012 4:05:47 PM
(0)
Professor

Or just as important, what is more important to them... a carrier that is implementing pay to play or a carrier that isn't filtering out functionality or vendor applications until the customer pays an extra monthly fee.

77 of 212 (3,207 Views)